Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

boom boom boom posted:

Internet strangers, should I get Grand Budapest Hotel or Anatomy of a Murder?

Anatomy of a Murder is like a better version of 12 Angry Men, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's the story with Criterion doing the original release of Benjamin Button?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Anatomy of a Murder is like a better version of 12 Angry Men, if that helps.

That's a pretty loving big thing to say!

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

penismightier posted:

It's a ton of fun but Putney Swope is probably the only one you'll ever watch twice.

Actually you'll watch Putney Swope fifty odds time for the "You can't eat an air conditioner" girl.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

boom boom boom posted:

That's a pretty loving big thing to say!

And I'll stand by it! It's a really excellent film. 12 Angry Men is great for being tight and controlled, but I really love how Anatomy of a Murder is this complex spread of intricate lawyering and ambivalent moral code (and the acting is just loving incredible).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

penismightier posted:

City Lights forever.

It's a ton of fun but Putney Swope is probably the only one you'll ever watch twice.

No More Excuses is also pretty good. Though the set really is worth it for Putney Swope alone.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Friedpundit posted:

Actually you'll watch Putney Swope fifty odds time for the "You can't eat an air conditioner" girl.

Yeah, "the only one you'll watch twice a month" is probably more accurate.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Gorman Thomas posted:

Picked up Repulsion and Blow Out today.
Both were blind purchases so which should I watch first?

Save the best for last and watch Blow Out first.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Criterion just posted this on Tumblr:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's the story with Criterion doing the original release of Benjamin Button?

Paramount had just started licensing to Criterion and they partnered with Criterion. It's actually distributed by Paramount (which is why it's in a regular blue case) and even the extras were produced by them, but Criterion did the authoring and design. My guess is that they wanted the prestige of a Criterion release or David Fincher wanted to make sure the release was without bullshit like annoying menus and trailers. It looks like Criterion still does this occasionally - the BBS set was almost entirely produced by Sony, while Criterion handled design and authoring.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ratedargh posted:

Bit the bullet and placed an order. All blind buys except for one.

Night of the Hunter (only non blind buy)
Branded to Kill
Judex
Thief
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Kuroneko
Walkabout

I'm pretty excited.

I can only talk about Branded to Kill and Walkabout, but I love both.

Branded to Kill is both odd/experimental, and a tight action flick. Both aspects of the flick were wayyyyy ahead of its time - some of the action stuff is just awesome, while some of the animation and sex scenes make you wonder what they were going for.

Walkabout is a story about kids surviving in the Australian Outback, as advertised, with some neat twists thrown in, and a lot of camera shots of a young girl swimming naked. I like it because I dig the survival stuff, but it might feel long to some folks. It's definitely sympathetic to aboriginals, and tries to give you an idea of the coldness of the (outsider) Australians. The director also made The Man Who Fell to Earth, which is about an alien who's manipulated by earth folks (I'm grossly simplifying the plot), but is much more out there, and is just a little more full of itself. If you really love Walkabout, it's at least worth getting Man Who Fell to Earth from Netflix.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Red posted:

I can only talk about Branded to Kill and Walkabout, but I love both.

Branded to Kill is both odd/experimental, and a tight action flick. Both aspects of the flick were wayyyyy ahead of its time - some of the action stuff is just awesome, while some of the animation and sex scenes make you wonder what they were going for.

Walkabout is a story about kids surviving in the Australian Outback, as advertised, with some neat twists thrown in, and a lot of camera shots of a young girl swimming naked. I like it because I dig the survival stuff, but it might feel long to some folks. It's definitely sympathetic to aboriginals, and tries to give you an idea of the coldness of the (outsider) Australians. The director also made The Man Who Fell to Earth, which is about an alien who's manipulated by earth folks (I'm grossly simplifying the plot), but is much more out there, and is just a little more full of itself. If you really love Walkabout, it's at least worth getting Man Who Fell to Earth from Netflix.

My interest is growing! The only Nicolas Roeg film I've seen is Don't Look Now, which I thought was really interesting and pretty whackadoo at times. The order has shipped, so now I wait.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I will confirm that Kuroneko rules. Picnic At Hanging Rock is also good and definitely worth a watch, but not one I am picking up anytime soon. That's just my opinion though, I know many really like it.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
Can anyone comment on the Pearls of the Czech New Wave set?

I loved Daisies, but I'm not familiar with anything else in it.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Slate Action posted:

Criterion just posted this on Tumblr:

I would assume that since they are still looking at the film reels that a release this year isn't likely :(.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I don't know about that one, but on a related note Marketa Lazarova is pretty great, reminded me a lot of The Seventh Seal with some stunning black and white cinematography and performances. The costume and set design have an incredible attention to detail, it's difficult to think of many other films that paint such a bleak picture of the Middle Ages. After seeing it I get the impression that someone on the Game of Thrones design team must have pulled a good bit of inspiration from it.

It was a blind buy for me in this sale and I'm definitely happy with the result.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

zandert33 posted:

I would assume that since they are still looking at the film reels that a release this year isn't likely :(.

What movie is it?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Cloks posted:

What movie is it?

Pather Pachali. I spent way too long trying to identify the frames until I noticed it's written on the film canister.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sheldrake posted:

Pather Pachali. I spent way too long trying to identify the frames until I noticed it's written on the film canister.

Oh, neat. That reminds me that I need to get some of the Ray films they've already released.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zandert33 posted:

Which would be interesting considering that the film has basically been on roadshow since late last year (which is why I decided against buying any of the old Sony DVDs).

Unfortunately the article I read back around October wasn't at hand, but it said, or at least implied, that it had already been restored (by Janus, if I recall correctly) for the roadshow print (possibly an independent restoration from the 2005 restoration), so it would be a bit interesting if they're doing even more restoration now.

EDIT: Several articles on the topic. Choice quote:

quote:

“We’re going to be working with Criterion [Collection]. They’re going to be putting out Blu-rays of The Apu Trilogy and we’ll have access to digital tools that would give us the ability to address so much more than we would in the photochemical realms,” smiled Pogorzelski.

So we've known this was coming for a while, though maybe this is just subsequent scanning and digital cleanup beyond what they've managed to do already?

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 10, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mercaptopropyl posted:

GET IT

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Cloks posted:

Oh, neat. That reminds me that I need to get some of the Ray films they've already released.

I've seen The Music Room and The Big City, and they're both astonishing.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've seen The Music Room and The Big City, and they're both astonishing.
Charulata is also.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mercaptopropyl posted:

My ratings:

Pearls of the Deep - 73
Daisies - 82
A Report on the Party and Guests - 77
Return of the Prodigal Son - 70
Capricious Summer - 74
The Joke - 85

Good, but I wouldn't blind-buy it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

That's underselling Capricious Summer. Daisies is by far the best of the set, and a masterpiece in it's own right. But The Joke is fantastic as well. For $35 the set is totally worth it.

Admittedly, Pearls of the Deep ain't great, but the 3rd and 5th segments are worth the watch.

As an aside, Criterion posted a picture of the old Laserdisc for Carrie on Facebook. Really hoping that it's a tease of a Blu-Ray release.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TrixRabbi posted:

That's underselling Capricious Summer. Daisies is by far the best of the set, and a masterpiece in it's own right. But The Joke is fantastic as well. For $35 the set is totally worth it.

I LOVED Daisies the first time I saw it, but by the third viewing I was finding it a bit tiresome.

TrixRabbi posted:

As an aside, Criterion posted a picture of the old Laserdisc for Carrie on Facebook. Really hoping that it's a tease of a Blu-Ray release.

Nah, I think it's just a De Palma tie-in to promote Scanners. Carrie could definitely use a better Blu-Ray, though.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

Nah, I think it's just a De Palma tie-in to promote Scanners. Carrie could definitely use a better Blu-Ray, though.

What did De Palma have to do with Scanners?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nothing at all. Sorry, had a total brain fart there. Got my horror directors mixed up.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The caption they had for it was that "SISTERS wasn't the first De Palma film in the collection." I'm holding out for Carrie, but maybe it's a hint at an upgrade for Sisters?

Or it could just be that their social media person just needed something to keep the Facebook page updated.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jesus, the B&N Criterion sales are like Steam sales for movies :negative:

Bought On the Waterfront and The Thin Red Line but holy poo poo it was hard not to get The 39 Steps and Modern Times in one visit. Really need to pace myself.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm absolutely buying Nashville and City Lights because I can't live without those, but I'm having a hell of a time settling on a possible third selection.

Mahanagar
Charulata
Rififi
Children of Paradise
Jules and Jim
Earrings of Madame de...
George Washington
Life of Oharu
Slacker

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Criminal Minded posted:

Children of Paradise

DO NOT get "Children of Paradise" because Pathe really screwed up the restoration on this one.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I looooved this, and would recommend it in a heartbeat.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

VoodooXT posted:

DO NOT get "Children of Paradise" because Pathe really screwed up the restoration on this one.

drat, that's a bummer; I was leaning towards that one. Been on my to-see list for years and years.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I looooved this, and would recommend it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I've seen it and it's great, though it doesn't rank with my favorite Rays (granted, I've only seen like, seven or eight). If it were the Apu Trilogy or Pratidwandi, I'd be all over it. Charulata would be my preference of those two. I already own The Music Room, fortunately.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The work on the Madame De Blu-Ray isn't so great, either. It's not the shitshow that Children of Paradise is but it's worth a note: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews25/madame_de....htm

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Kept it short and sweet this time with some recent releases since I ended up buying a surprise "cheap" used copy of The Man Who Fell to Earth from eBay a few days ago, so it ended up eating from the budget I planned to use for this sale:

A Hard Day's Night
Ace in the Hole
The Life Aquatic
Hearts and Minds

Ace in the Hole and Hearts and Minds are blind buys, A Hard Day's Night is a half-blind buy, in that the last time I saw parts of that was when I was a kid.

Contemplated adding A Brief History of Time and Riot in Cell Block 11 to that haul, but ended up deciding to push those (along with my other wants) to the next flash sale.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 13, 2014

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Finally gave in to the sale. Upgraded Two-Lane Blacktop and Fantastic Mr Fox, although I do not like the case on the latter. Now I see why people were raising hell about it.

Took my own advice and got Down by Law. It's packed with special features, but I think I've seen them already (thank you cool library with Criterion DVDs).

My only blind buy was Solaris, so needless to say I'm pretty excited to check it out.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Contemplated adding A Brief History of Time and Riot in Cell Block 11 to that haul, but ended up deciding to push those (along with my other wants) to the next flash sale.
I know what you mean, I almost got 12 Angry Men and Design for Living but my wallet started crying and it got awkward.

Friedpundit posted:

Putney says she is got to have soul!!!!!!!!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

fenix down posted:

...Fantastic Mr Fox, although I do not like the case on the latter. Now I see why people were raising hell about it.

What's wrong with it?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What's wrong with it?
It's not wrong per se, just a much larger package than other dual editions (like Hidden Fortress) - I am guessing because the special features are on their own disc for the DVD version. Also as a result, the booklet is loose, as opposed to tucked under the little tabs like normal.

Here are shots of the two side by side:
vs

Not a gamebreaker by any means, but I could see how someone anal about this stuff would lose their poo poo.

As a side note, I'm really digging the 5.1 mix on Two-Lane Blacktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
I was pretty disappointed that the blu version of Two Lane Blacktop doesn't include the screenplay, mainly because I'm a big dork and I like my movies to come pre-packaged with paperback books. Picnic at Hanging Rock, the DVD version of Short Cuts, and Vampyr might be my favorite Criterion releases.