Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

I hijacked almost every single SR2 chop shop car by shooting the driver through the windshield.

When in doubt, think, "What would Johnny Gat do?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Brainamp posted:

Thank goodness there's a nice complete one in the archive. http://lparchive.org/Saints-Row/

2 for me had the most stuff to do. 3 has less character, but so many general gameplay improvements, like the sprinting carjack holy poo poo. 4 is a nice balance between the two.
The last episode doesn't work for me so I only have general knowledge of how the game ends.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Internet Archive's still got it. (In fact, the LP Archive page tells you this. In a big red banner. That links to it.)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The Internet Archive's still got it. (In fact, the LP Archive page tells you this. In a big red banner. That links to it.)
Yes, and every time I've tried to download it, it stops downloading near the end. But thanks for trying.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Did it have a video player (and also multiple format options for playback and for download) last time you checked out the Internet Archive page? It's got an integrated playlist.

Also clear your browser cache and maybe flash cache (if you have backups of any games that save to your flash cache because their developers were bad at things).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 12, 2014

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The chop shop was pretty crappy, but I really liked the assassination challenges in SR2. All the little tricks and stuff you had to do to get the target to appear, and the reward was actually...rewarding. It was decent in SR3 also, though I never finished it.

Kinda disappointed in SR4 when they just turned it into another 'fight someone with superpowers' activity.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Zeond posted:

Fuzz is still the best activity in all games. Pirates vs. ninjas is dated but environmentalists with rocket launchers or sticking a bomb onto skateboarders was always fun.

Each time I finished a round of Fuzz I'd smash a 40 on the perp's corpse and pose for the camera.

Also yes the hitman poo poo was solid.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I went through 4 and loved it but was lost with all the references so I played through 2 & 3. I then played through 1 and actually liked it a lot. Honestly I'd put the story below 2 but above 3 & 4. But I really wish they'd put 1 & 2 (and probably 3) in 4's engine as a"series pack" or something like they did with Metroid Prime. I don't give a poo poo if super powers trivialized combat. They could make it a little harder or just not care because it's more fun.

Pretty lame the co-op doesn't work locally though. The whole reason I got the two-pack for 360 instead of just the first game was so I could play 2 with my wife or whoever else was over.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Crowd Control in 2 was great, because drunks would drop their 40s when you take them down, and then you just start getting ripped off a silly amount of malt liquor while still trying to stop crazy fans from attacking your client. Drunkenly chucking someone off a building for the crime of wanting an autograph will always be one of my favorite Saints Row 2 memories.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Nihilarian posted:

Yes, and every time I've tried to download it, it stops downloading near the end. But thanks for trying.

It downloaded fine for me, I've re-uploaded the last episode here for you:

https://mega.co.nz/#!9xdi1ISQ!IKmH-io6u-2m1G5IDNsde28fz5Fun5RsxUwDX6fYGNE

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

mastajake posted:

I went through 4 and loved it but was lost with all the references so I played through 2 & 3. I then played through 1 and actually liked it a lot. Honestly I'd put the story below 2 but above 3 & 4. But I really wish they'd put 1 & 2 (and probably 3) in 4's engine as a"series pack" or something like they did with Metroid Prime. I don't give a poo poo if super powers trivialized combat. They could make it a little harder or just not care because it's more fun.

Pretty lame the co-op doesn't work locally though. The whole reason I got the two-pack for 360 instead of just the first game was so I could play 2 with my wife or whoever else was over.

They don't need to add superpowers, just porting the content to the newer engine would be a great help.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
uh

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Brainamp posted:

Thank goodness there's a nice complete one in the archive. http://lparchive.org/Saints-Row/

2 for me had the most stuff to do. 3 has less character, but so many general gameplay improvements, like the sprinting carjack holy poo poo. 4 is a nice balance between the two.

If you make a bad decision and choose not to play 2 there's also a complete LP.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

grancheater posted:

If you make a bad decision and choose not to play 2 there's also a complete LP.
Which should be watched regardless of whether you've played the game or not, by the way.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

just porting the content to the newer engine would be a great help.

Oh definitely. Though it's still be fun to run and jump through Stillwater. It's so chill.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

RandallODim posted:

Crowd Control in 2 was great, because drunks would drop their 40s when you take them down, and then you just start getting ripped off a silly amount of malt liquor while still trying to stop crazy fans from attacking your client. Drunkenly chucking someone off a building for the crime of wanting an autograph will always be one of my favorite Saints Row 2 memories.

I forgot about Crowd Control. Man, throwing people into airline engines was the best. The activities in 3+4 lacked a lot of the same spark.

Similarly, the newer engine is worlds better at combat, but I hate that it lacks all the little touches, and I'm not just referring to a better world space. Things like shootable oxygen tanks, female cops, the way you would execute human shields in various ways depending on what weapon you were holding (not just the neck snap all the time), the different levels of individual crib upgrades you could switch to (and actually downgrade to if you liked having a stripper pole and lovely unpainted walls), the different fighting styles you could switch to...man, I think I need to repurchase SR2 for my PS3.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I forgot about Crowd Control. Man, throwing people into airline engines was the best. The activities in 3+4 lacked a lot of the same spark.

Similarly, the newer engine is worlds better at combat, but I hate that it lacks all the little touches, and I'm not just referring to a better world space. Things like shootable oxygen tanks, female cops, the way you would execute human shields in various ways depending on what weapon you were holding (not just the neck snap all the time), the different levels of individual crib upgrades you could switch to (and actually downgrade to if you liked having a stripper pole and lovely unpainted walls), the different fighting styles you could switch to...man, I think I need to repurchase SR2 for my PS3.

I was ok with the lack of varied human shield executions in 3 because there was a unique 'hit in balls' animation for every weapon type.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I still like the combat in SR2. The Third might technically be better, but the weapons feel weirdly underpowered until you upgrade them to the max and even then it's not as satisfying to go on shotgun rampages as it was in SR2. I miss having ragdolls fly all over the place. :saddowns:

The superpowers in SRIV are cool and I love the game, but it's so different that it might as well be a completely different series at this point.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the thing is that the engine for SR3 and 4 is MUCH better looking than the SR2 one, but SR2 is just overall a better game. Personally I like the more grounded storyline in SR2 better than the sequels as well. That isn't to say that I don't like the sequels; 4 especially is a a ton of fun. SR2 just has something special about it though that keeps me going back every now and then.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the thing is that the engine for SR3 and 4 is MUCH better looking than the SR2 one, but SR2 is just overall a better game. Personally I like the more grounded storyline in SR2 better than the sequels as well. That isn't to say that I don't like the sequels; 4 especially is a a ton of fun. SR2 just has something special about it though that keeps me going back every now and then.

There were nice little details in the world that you found through exploring - something most open world games don't seem to bother with anymore. Listening to the pedestrians was fun too.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I got into the game with SR2 (which is still my favorite), and played 3 and 4 when they came out. Only last year did I go back and play the first game, and I think it holds up fairly well (except for the dearth of mid-mission checkpoints). I think playing the first game makes the second game slightly more interesting, since you can see which parts of Stilwater have been expanded, and witness first-hand Ultor's gentrification of the Saints Row neighborhood. That is a really neat detail going from one to two.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Biggest thing I miss from SR2 is the fat goth chicks talking about their Vampire The Masquerade characters in the Mall. Also, pimp fights.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Young Freud posted:

Also, pimp fights.

Oh man, pimp wars were the best thing. Kill one and a rainbow of them come after you! It was amazing the first time it happened and it stayed that way the entire time I played the game.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

ZDar Fan posted:

I got into the game with SR2 (which is still my favorite), and played 3 and 4 when they came out. Only last year did I go back and play the first game, and I think it holds up fairly well (except for the dearth of mid-mission checkpoints). I think playing the first game makes the second game slightly more interesting, since you can see which parts of Stilwater have been expanded, and witness first-hand Ultor's gentrification of the Saints Row neighborhood. That is a really neat detail going from one to two.

One thing I loved about SR1 is when I found out about Troy and then realized all the hints they gave about him throughout the game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

mastajake posted:

One thing I loved about SR1 is when I found out about Troy and then realized all the hints they gave about him throughout the game.

Even the instruction manual is a massive hint.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I like SR2 the most because while it's absurd it wasn't completely LOL WACKY as SR3 was. SR4 reigned it in a bit and was still fantastic but, yeah...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

I like SR2 the most because while it's absurd it wasn't completely LOL WACKY as SR3 was. SR4 reigned it in a bit and was still fantastic but, yeah...

I don't know if SR4 reined it in a little bit so much as it just kind of took the story itself more seriously. The story was still easily the most bonkers of the whole series (you're the president fighting against aliens in the Matrix!) 3 had some good characters but the story itself didn't really have any kind of direction. SR2 may have had 3 different disconnected plotlines but they were individually really well done.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
SR2 was great in that regard, especially if you went Samedi-Ronin-Brotherhood.

Haha ok I killed some weird voodoo dorks and took over their drug trade :)

Oh no my friends are getting hurt and killed and oh dang we just buried someone alive :ohdear:

Holy gently caress this got dark :stare:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
SR4 didn't reign it in. It just brought everything up to an equal level of insanity, and then treated it all with respect.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I almost put the controller down in the brotherhood arc. I went ronin-samedi-brotherhood the first time through and felt the samedi arc was almost like an intermission (obviously it had bigger implications for shaundi though).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

honestly I felt like a lot of the dark and serious poo poo in SR2 was kind of laughable. I get that they were going for a jarring shift in tone with stuff like Carlos and Aisha, a record-scratch-poo poo kind of moment, but to me it just felt kind of cartoony and artificial.

SR4 really felt like it had the most heart of the series. Again, though, it's maybe just me

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yes, the game with time traveling dinosaurs and robot santa claus totally reigned it in.

3 was probably my favorite game play wise. I might like 2 better if it wasn't for all the issues with the port. Mostly it is the open world gameplay that I like the best. 4 had the best story missions (some in 2 were just painful, as the first DLC for 4 made fun of a lot) but I have the most fun just screwing around in 3. In 4 the superpowers move you faster than the game can render things and you're so strong I never really feel like I'm in danger at all. I loved the start of 3 where you're desperately trying to headshot everything to save your bullets and you're driving around in your one slightly pimped out car and getting swarmed by brutes and skater chicks with lightning hammers. Never really felt that way in four.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Also in SR2 I hated cars rolling up right on top of you when you were trying to do stuff (and handling the cars themselves was pretty skittish too).

On the upside, doing stupid poo poo with the trains.

It's definitely worth playing through SR2 for the story and the more interesting city but the actual gameplay is a bit janky.

I can't wait for the next one even if it's a reboot or whatever.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
The difference is that 2 has depth and completeness, but 3 and 4 have polish. I played 3 first and thought it was good on its own, but after going back and playing 2 I understand why people felt let down by 3. Hopefully Volition nails all three of those things in their next game.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
3's script went through a paper shredder a couple of times. THQ made 'em take photos and everything.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

quakster posted:

3's script went through a paper shredder a couple of times. THQ made 'em take photos and everything.

Yeah, the actual planned game might have been pretty fun. Killbane nuking stillwater would have taken things up several notches.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

quakster posted:

And now THQ are no more. This is what happens when you gently caress with the Saints.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I just beat SR4, and SR2 is definitely my favorite. My first experience with the series was SR3 and I loved it, but then I went back and played SR2 and was blown away by how awesome the city was. Having a coherent story was nice, too. There is an unbelievable amount of content and attention to detail packed into SR2, and it ruined SR3 for me. I enjoyed SR4, but I played through it on easy mode and was glad that it was a short game.

I wish SR4 had taken place in Stillwater, if only to be able to explore the city with the improvements in gameplay and graphics.

edit: Do you guys have a link to the original story for SR3?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This is one of the changes I just don't get. It really stands out, especially when you set your gang type to cops or soldiers. Why aren't women allowed to be police or soldiers in Steelport?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I find SR2 has a lot more replayability. In 3 and 4 I get to a point where I go "I just can't be bothered doing this mission" and that's it. SR2 I've played right to the end multiple times. There are some irritating missions, but none that put me off playing the way that Asha's rescue mission in SR4 or Live! With Killbane in SR3 do. Not only are those missions bad in themselves, but they also mark the point in the game where you've finished with a lot of the most fun bits and you know that there are more bad missions coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

the truth posted:

I just beat SR4, and SR2 is definitely my favorite. My first experience with the series was SR3 and I loved it, but then I went back and played SR2 and was blown away by how awesome the city was. Having a coherent story was nice, too. There is an unbelievable amount of content and attention to detail packed into SR2, and it ruined SR3 for me. I enjoyed SR4, but I played through it on easy mode and was glad that it was a short game.

I wish SR4 had taken place in Stillwater, if only to be able to explore the city with the improvements in gameplay and graphics.

edit: Do you guys have a link to the original story for SR3?

ChaosArgate posted:

This is probably what you want.

• Locked thread