Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Meh, it's your mod.

I'd offer to help, but seeing as my four-year old laptop just died, taking everything I had worked on for my Ancient Egypt mod I think I'm going to take a much needed break from modding.

The hard drive died? That really sucks, I'm living in mortal fear of that happening to me, despite always backing it up online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DStecks posted:

In my games they usually wind up getting their poo poo kicked in fast and hard. Like, I frequently see Constantinople fall before 1150.

Really? I've seen a few games where a lucky jihad ends up taking Anatolia, but inevitably they claw it back through holy wars after a couple of decades. Greece is just a disproportionately powerful kingdom, I think. Obviously it shouldn't be desperately impoverished but it would make more sense if Byzantine holdings in Anatolia were their main source of manpower. Of course, I'm not sure how you would do that with CK2's mechanics. I'm just kvetching though, as has been reiterated a thousand times before, it would be great if there was a patch/DLC that focused on making management of large realms or empire titles more interesting and difficult.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Really? I've seen a few games where a lucky jihad ends up taking Anatolia, but inevitably they claw it back through holy wars after a couple of decades. Greece is just a disproportionately powerful kingdom, I think. Obviously it shouldn't be desperately impoverished but it would make more sense if Byzantine holdings in Anatolia were their main source of manpower. Of course, I'm not sure how you would do that with CK2's mechanics. I'm just kvetching though, as has been reiterated a thousand times before, it would be great if there was a patch/DLC that focused on making management of large realms or empire titles more interesting and difficult.

I had a game where Greece fell to the Muslims really early, and the HRE won the Crusade to take it back, resulting in a 100% Catholic and Germanized Greece by 1450. It was something else.

I'm also pretty excited because in my latest game, the HRE vassalized the Papacy before 1100, and just won the first Crusade for Jerusalem, meaning that there's a real chance for permanent Crusader States.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fuligin posted:

Is it that Greece is really powerful, or the Varangian Guard is really powerful? I've seen the Byzantines pushed into Achaia, only for them to spring back against realms they had no right being able to defeat.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Nope, I am the King of Ireland. I managed to once again upload an incorrect map. This is definitely the correct one:

What I would do in your situation is start planning to invade Scotland, Wales, or Cornwall. Just depends on which you get the opportunity first. You can fabricate claims or try to invite claimants to your court and marry them into your dynasty. Either way it will take patience, the game will be much slower than the initial consolidation.

Also check regularly for opportunites, like someone converts to a heresy and you can holy war them. Because if you don't right away someone else will probably kill them pretty quick.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

vulturesrow posted:

Nope, I am the King of Ireland. I managed to once again upload an incorrect map. This is definitely the correct one:

Did Norway get Normandy and Cornwall? And what's going on in Italy?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

What I would do in your situation is start planning to invade Scotland, Wales, or Cornwall. Just depends on which you get the opportunity first. You can fabricate claims or try to invite claimants to your court and marry them into your dynasty. Either way it will take patience, the game will be much slower than the initial consolidation.

Also check regularly for opportunites, like someone converts to a heresy and you can holy war them. Because if you don't right away someone else will probably kill them pretty quick.

Yeah I'm leaning towards Wales right now. Does the game alert you when someone converts to heresy or do I have to manually check?

Also I have an alert that a title might pass out of my control on the current holder's death. Poking around in game I don't see any way to easily prevent that. My thought is that as soon as the inheritance happens I should make a de jure claim against him.

If you press a subjects weak claim and they gain the country in question, do they become your vassal?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Belasarius posted:

You lose the invasion troops once you win the invasion so this is better?

I'm pretty sure you dont because a neighbor would just be able to trounce you and your lack of levies, unless that changed recently. Also now I dont personally hold one of the best duchies and a decent Kingdom myself, so....not sure. Instead I started causing poo poo in Wales (because I culture swapped to Welsh right away in the game because I wanted to make Welsh North Afrika).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

catlord posted:

Norway holds Normandy but not Cornwall any longer. They also hold Katanes on the northern end of Scotland. I have some strong marriage ties to both Scotland and Norway. Italy I'm not sure what is going on other than it is very fragmented.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah I'm leaning towards Wales right now. Does the game alert you when someone converts to heresy or do I have to manually check?

Also I have an alert that a title might pass out of my control on the current holder's death. Poking around in game I don't see any way to easily prevent that. My thought is that as soon as the inheritance happens I should make a de jure claim against him.

If you press a subjects weak claim and they gain the country in question, do they become your vassal?

That de jure claim might work, unless the inheritee is from a larger realm. The notification might only be there because you have a young vassal that hasn't had any kids yet and his nearest relative is a Scottish count or something, its hard to say without more details.

For claim wars pushing someone else's claim: They will become your vassal if a)the claim title is a de jure vassal of you or b) they are of your dynasty and the title is of a lower rank than the one you hold

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm pretty sure you dont because a neighbor would just be able to trounce you and your lack of levies, unless that changed recently. Also now I dont personally hold one of the best duchies and a decent Kingdom myself, so....not sure. Instead I started causing poo poo in Wales (because I culture swapped to Welsh right away in the game because I wanted to make Welsh North Afrika).

You absolutely do lose any prepared invasion troops if the war ends by normal means, boats too.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

TheBlackRoija posted:

You absolutely do lose any prepared invasion troops if the war ends by normal means, boats too.

And any legendary heroes if you don't land them first!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

catlord posted:

Norway ends up with Cornwall really often because of de jure shenanigans. Harald wins the war for the throne of England, then gets deposed and loses all of his land in England. But because Cornwall's de jure Wales, not England, it stays part of Norway. It's annoying & happens every time Harald wins, I do wish they'd change it even though it would make Wales even smaller

The same thing happens with Normandy if William wins first, then Hardrade takes over.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Allyn posted:

The same thing happens with Normandy if William wins first, then Hardrade takes over.
Making William the Conqueror your marshal is fun, even if he will hate your guts for that whole crown-stealing thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So if a norse liege controls three holy sites indirectly through his vassals, is he able to reform a religion? Or does he have to control them directly through vassal godis?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SynthOrange posted:

So if a norse liege controls three holy sites indirectly through his vassals, is he able to reform a religion? Or does he have to control them directly through vassal godis?

Far as I know you just need to control them. Doesn't matter if they're in your demense or not, they just need to be in your realm.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cool. I was trying to guess what was preventing my liege from reforming the religion, but it looks like norse moral authority has taken a huge hit recently. Booo/

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Sounds like it's time to go burn Rome! :getin:

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Antti posted:

Worked to get me to 100 moral authority as Cathar, along with beating back a crusade and taking some holy sites. But to my disappointment, moral authority isn't enough to become the mainstream version of Christianity, I need more provinces than Catholicism. Which isn't that big a deal, since I have an easy casus belli against the entire Catholic world, but still, there are a lot of Catholics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh, lost my window I think. I was trying to raise authority but then my liege died. Ultra-Denmark split up into Denmark and Pomerania and the holy sites are now split between the two. The HRE has also formed and is sitting on the last two non norse controlled sites as well. What a pain in the rear end.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Antti posted:

Is there ever a wrong time to burn Rome?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SynthOrange posted:

Ugh, lost my window I think. I was trying to raise authority but then my liege died. Ultra-Denmark split up into Denmark and Pomerania and the holy sites are now split between the two. The HRE has also formed and is sitting on the last two non norse controlled sites as well. What a pain in the rear end.

Looks like its time to take control the AI will hardly ever reform a religion except by luck.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Well, in my current game as a count in Sweden (now King, we'll see just for how long), it came within 5% of Moral Authority. Harald Fairhair held 4 holy sites and formed the Kingdom of Germany (but not Norway :laffo:), but then his daughter converted to Catholicism upon ascending to the throne. Norse have a very good chance of reforming on their own, only slightly less than Tengri.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
IF a Norse king can keep his realm together after succession they can reform sometimes. Tengri is almost guaranteed but the Norse have the issue that two of their sites are in Karling hands, one in Frisia, the other in Germany with a massive penalty to short reign negativity. The AI sucks with holy wars so they rarely have the MA and the Vikings like to burn Europe but never conquer much of it.

I don't think I've ever seen the other pagans reform, ever.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Tengri usually reforms in my games, usually due to the Magyars/Hungary.

Has anyone ever tried playing as a Suomenusko ruler? They seem to have the worst lands in the entire game, and no interesting game mechanics either.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Emy posted:

Worked to get me to 100 moral authority as Cathar, along with beating back a crusade and taking some holy sites. But to my disappointment, moral authority isn't enough to become the mainstream version of Christianity, I need more provinces than Catholicism. Which isn't that big a deal, since I have an easy casus belli against the entire Catholic world, but still, there are a lot of Catholics.

In my current Fratricelli game, I was happily moving along, taking Catholic provinces from France and the HRE and converting them, figuring I was close to becoming mainstream. Then I check the religion map and notice that almost all of the Byzantine Empire has gone Catholic. How the hell does this even happen?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Automated Posting posted:

In my current Fratricelli game, I was happily moving along, taking Catholic provinces from France and the HRE and converting them, figuring I was close to becoming mainstream. Then I check the religion map and notice that almost all of the Byzantine Empire has gone Catholic. How the hell does this even happen?

Probably due to marriages and/or claims. I once saw the Byzantine Empire go completely Catholic when the Basileos married off his heir to a landed Catholic Duchess, who proceeded to convert her new hubby to Catholicism. Upon inheritance the new Basileos then converted all of his vassals to Catholicism.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Beta tests have begun for the 480 mod. I'm going to run a few observer games to see how hosed the world gets before diving into this.

Ofaloaf, might want to check it out for your own Rome mod.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I was playing as Aragorn earlier (norhtern part of Spain, on the border with France). I had no sea access, so no ports, so no ships. I holy warred a bit and quickly expanded my territory, until I had to conquer some tiny islands. I hired that mercenary with the ships. He appeared at my capital and had to sail all around Spain to reach my troops. Then I thought: I'd better first take this piece of land before I head off to those islands. Turns out that boat guy costs 90 gold/month.
It took me like 5 months to notice that :suicide:

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

In my latest observe game the Karlings managed to a have a sudden die-off which left Louis the German: King of East Francia ruler of a united empire of Charlemagne. He had only one son at his death, and managed to pass the entire series of titles off without a big breakup. His son crowned himself the first Emperor of the HRE and immediately proceeded to seize the duchy of Barcelona, half of Hungary, and whatever Balkan states the Byzantines hadn't gotten their hands on. He reached about 35 years old and destroyed all of the kingdom titles except for East Francia one by one. He had two sons who inherited the HRE and East Francia respectively. The second Emperor, Charles, found himself a very prestigious match in the first daughter of the Makadon Basileus of the Byzantines. They had two sons, but by that time the empire was on primogeniture and it no longer mattered. The third Emperor, the grandson of both the HRE's founder and the Byzantine Basileus pressed his claim on the Byzantine throne right after they had won a costly civil war. In one fell swoop, he united both empires under Karling rule just before ushering in a new millennium.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jaramin posted:

In my latest observe game the Karlings managed to a have a sudden die-off which left Louis the German: King of East Francia ruler of a united empire of Charlemagne. He had only one son at his death, and managed to pass the entire series of titles off without a big breakup. His son crowned himself the first Emperor of the HRE and immediately proceeded to seize the duchy of Barcelona, half of Hungary, and whatever Balkan states the Byzantines hadn't gotten their hands on. He reached about 35 years old and destroyed all of the kingdom titles except for East Francia one by one. He had two sons who inherited the HRE and East Francia respectively. The second Emperor, Charles, found himself a very prestigious match in the first daughter of the Makadon Basileus of the Byzantines. They had two sons, but by that time the empire was on primogeniture and it no longer mattered. The third Emperor, the grandson of both the HRE's founder and the Byzantine Basileus pressed his claim on the Byzantine throne right after they had won a costly civil war. In one fell swoop, he united both empires under Karling rule just before ushering in a new millennium.

Will the ai form the Romans empire?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Beta tests have begun for the 480 mod. I'm going to run a few observer games to see how hosed the world gets before diving into this.

Ofaloaf, might want to check it out for your own Rome mod.
I'll keep an eye on it. Got plenty of testing to do on my end just with the America stuff atm, but yeah, definitely curious as to how the 480 mod runs.

Today I learned that the new holy orders do activate properly for the mod, and that they behave just like holy orders in vanilla once they're around.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Women can now hold council positions and lead troops, depending on the succession law. With Agnatic only men can hold positions, Ag-Cog allows women to hold positions if their stat is above 20, Absolute Cognatic allows anyone to hold positions. Enatic (women only) and Enatic-Cognatic (female preference) are also available, and the opposite is true for men.

After we get this release sorted out, I'm planning on implementing a legislative system. The idea is that more power for the legislature means vassals will rebel much less often, but you'll have less control over your realm. The CK2+ faction system would be adapted. The most powerful faction leader would be the Prime Minister (Speaker in non-British kingdoms). The legislature could do things like give you extra money and troops, prevent you from declaring war or make you to go to war with someone, indict people for treason, decide succession disputes, and whatever else we can think of. You could influence them through diplomacy, intrigue, or learning (legal arguments), as well as by making deals or outright bribery.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Sam. posted:

Women can now hold council positions and lead troops, depending on the succession law. With Agnatic only men can hold positions, Ag-Cog allows women to hold positions if their stat is above 20, Absolute Cognatic allows anyone to hold positions. Enatic (women only) and Enatic-Cognatic (female preference) are also available, and the opposite is true for men.

This sounds like something that should be in CKII proper.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is there ever a wrong time to burn Rome?

When in Rome...

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I had a plot going to revoke the Jarldom of Polotsk and I set it in motion and while invading Finland, the target died and the war ended. His kid is now Jarl of Polotsk (and Finland), and the plot is now stuck on that and I can't cancel it because it's been 'set in motion' and there's no decision to restart the war or redemand the title. I know it would succeed if I revoked the title but the guy has no territory left in Polotsk since I took it all away and I'm not sure if sending my, Chancellor to fabricate in Finland would give me a claim on Polotsk. Failing any way to do that, is there a way to use the console to cancel the plot or to refire the decision to start the war? Or even just to take the title from him (without incurring tyranny)? I wanna get back to stabbing. Also I've managed to get the best of all worlds by making the two kingdoms that contain my holdings Primogeniture and leaving the Empire titles and every other kingdom at Gavelkind. No unlanded son penalties, no succession problems so long as I keep my holdings confined to Ruthenia and Rus and I keep the demense bonus, and the ability to cut up any vassal with multiple sons who gets too big. Now I can finally actually use the concubine feature without pumping out a thousand heirs to split everything up.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ofaloaf, will Canada be provinced and playable, or is it a hard wilderness at the border to keep things neat?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Shadeoses posted:

Ofaloaf, will Canada be provinced and playable, or is it a hard wilderness at the border to keep things neat?

It'll probably get added in as they work. They still have the west of the Mississippi to map out.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Shadeoses posted:

Some Quebec stuff is already in, I think they're just adding more characters to the land they already have first.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

Parts of the Maritimes and Quebec are already in. I'm probably not going to go that far north into Canada, because I didn't realize how quickly development drops off the further away you go from the US border and I've been sticking to actual towns and villages for CK2 settlements. Might try to add in a Kingdom of Saguenay despite all that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

How much wilderness is going to be in the west? You could make a huge Sahara-like desert to speed development and make for more interesting choke points. Probably not unrealistic either.

• Locked thread