Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
This one's got graffiti Orks and modeled gunfire/ray beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Bottom line: it's hard to tell sometimes, because it depends on how you paint. Airbrushes are great for basecoats, thin crisp layers, highlights, and blending. Brushes are better for textures, details, fancy designs, and lots of control. I use both because frankly some things are easier with a brush and others better with an airbrush. Some painters just really push one of the unique areas, which makes it easier to spot.

I know this is from a page back but I don't know what you're talking about here. It's incredibly easy to tell what was airbrushed and what was painted. Not just in your examples but in general. Even the one where you didn't actually know which it was is pretty obviously airbrushed. Maybe I just have some crazy eye for it or something. :confused:

edit: not the best bit to have quoted but you guys get what I'm saying.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 12, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

I know this is from a page back but I don't know what you're talking about here. It's incredibly easy to tell what was airbrushed and what was painted. Not just in your examples but in general. Even the one where you didn't actually know which it was is pretty obviously airbrushed. Maybe I just have some crazy eye for it or something. :confused:

I couldn't tell all of them apart exactly but I personally hate the "this was obviously airbrushed" look.
This looks horrible:

While someone like the Buypainted guy can airbrush something and make it look not quite as obvious, which looks amazing.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'm with you guys. You can't beat airbrushing for basecoats and basic blends but I hate the blurry colour lines and lack of sharpness that comes with airbrushing from start to finish. Bugs me even on larger minis where you would think it wouldnt be an issue.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nothing bugs me more in painting than airbrush OSL.

Ramuv
Nov 1, 2012
Thank you MasterSlowPoke. Sadly no ork update yet. Hopefully one comes out soon. Hard to beat the convenience of battlescribe.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah I agree that overly obvious airbrushing looks a bit poo poo. There are things that the obvious blending work for, cloth and daemons in particular, but overall I still prefer a solid basecoat and line highlights.

That said, you can do magical things with Citadel shades and glazes through an airbrush.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I caved in and bought a .pdf copy of the 7th edition rulebook. I have an old Nook classic, so far I cannot get the damned thing to be recognized either in .pdf or when I convert it to epub format, doesn't even show up in the document list.

Anyone found a workaround for this?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Where did you buy a PDF from? GW doesn't sell one.

Ramuv posted:

Thank you MasterSlowPoke. Sadly no ork update yet. Hopefully one comes out soon. Hard to beat the convenience of battlescribe.

? It's on there.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
"Bought" a pdf.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Ramuv posted:

You just need to select 7th edition rather than 6th in the Systems tab.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Battlescribe won't even start for me, and I can't figure out why.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It will run on a lot of systems, but it won't run on that 19th century spinning wheel in your living room.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's supposed to be able to run on Java 6, but it doesn't seem to.

And you'd be surprised, man, that wheel runs better than my laptop most of the time.

edit: holy crap, i just realized i've never posted that photo in this thread. You must have a superb memory.

And FWIW, I don't live there anymore. I have recently retrieved my warhammer army from my 65-year-old parents' house where that photo was taken...
So, sadly, I no longer have access to freshly spun poodle wool.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 12, 2014

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I had to install some hosed up retardo kind of Java (ie, the Oracle Java, not the Apple one that comes on it) for it to run on my Mac. It works fine now, and I can actually run "BattleScribe" instead of having to look for "RosterEditor.jar".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If I just saw the models from Sanctus Reach i'd think they were regular models, not e-z quicksnap starter ones, they are amazing.

Bought it without hesitation :smith:

But there should be no problem offloading the orks though.

The question now is, how long until space puppies get a new book? Logic would say that it would be the next 40k codex, but logic is not a good guide for GW releases.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Goddamn exchange rate. Meganobz are $81 now, and I still need to buy five sets for my 2k orks. :smith:
EDIT: AH AHA HA I somehow got on the Australian site. Whoops.

On the plus side, so well that list is performing very well. I tabled all but the flyer from Dagon's Space Marines, mostly via meganobz. They're pretty drat deadly.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 12, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

If I just saw the models from Sanctus Reach i'd think they were regular models, not e-z quicksnap starter ones, they are amazing.

Bought it without hesitation :smith:

But they are regular models? :confused: Only the characters are new.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

Airbrushed or Painted?
I don't know if I'm just too into this silly hobby or what, but I could tell what absolutely every one of those was, save for the wild card in there.

LordAba posted:

I couldn't tell all of them apart exactly but I personally hate the "this was obviously airbrushed" look.
This looks horrible:

While someone like the Buypainted guy can airbrush something and make it look not quite as obvious, which looks amazing.
I hate this look, and a lot of the crappier commission services pump out tons of stuff that looks just like this. Blech. Airbrushes are great tools and they can make some amazing effects, but that just looks like butt garbage.

Victor Vermis posted:

This one's got graffiti Orks and modeled gunfire/ray beams.

This, on the other hand, is even better than the Squat/Eldar one.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
My local GW is holding a 3-year store anniversary event with grab-bags for those who buy more than X today. My friend picked up the Stormclaw set and got a bag with a Fincecast SM Captain, Eldar Avatar, and 6 snap-build Tactical Space Marines. :pwn:

The manager said he was holding me a bag since I bought stuff earlier in the week and couldn't make the event. I'm quickly becoming convinced he's the best GW manager that I'll ever hear about.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

I hate this look, and a lot of the crappier commission services pump out tons of stuff that looks just like this. Blech. Airbrushes are great tools and they can make some amazing effects, but that just looks like butt garbage.

I just don't see the point in doing the lines like that with an airbrush. Sure, if the person was pre-shading that'd be fine, but leaving it as-is...just, ugh.

I've resorted to that sort of effect in the past, but it was with loving Stompas where yes, it is so big that doing linework with an airbrush is the best way to not go instantly insane. Not on small poo poo like flying croissants.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Safety Factor posted:

But they are regular models? :confused: Only the characters are new.

Are they all regular models? The characters are the only ones that show the parts for. If not, that's pretty cool, not unlike the 3rd ed box which came with the still awesome space marine multiparts and the A for effort Dark Eldar.

That means I won't have to buy a box of space wolves to make it a 10 man GH and BC squad out of the box, just make one or the other.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

this reminds me: is the big mek stompa still legal? I found it weird that they had the gorkanaut, the morkanaut and the stompa but not the mek stompa in the codex. I was halfway through building one, and I'd really hope the lifta droppa is still legit.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

this reminds me: is the big mek stompa still legal? I found it weird that they had the gorkanaut, the morkanaut and the stompa but not the mek stompa in the codex. I was halfway through building one, and I'd really hope the lifta droppa is still legit.

I don't see why it wouldn't. It's a Forgeworld unit which, depending on who you talk to, is either 100% legal or the worst thing since Dracula and how dare you even mention it at the gaming table you WAAC scrublord.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Are they all regular models? The characters are the only ones that show the parts for. If not, that's pretty cool, not unlike the 3rd ed box which came with the still awesome space marine multiparts and the A for effort Dark Eldar.

That means I won't have to buy a box of space wolves to make it a 10 man GH and BC squad out of the box, just make one or the other.

As far as I know, this is just some campaign tie-in with cool character models and a mini rulebook to get people to buy it. All the models are the regular kits so you can build them however you want. Dark Vengeance will (might?) come back at some point with an updated rulebook to fill the actual starter set slot. Speaking of which, I wonder if GW will toss in another limited edition model into a Dark Vengeance re-release. My money's on yes. :shepspends:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Slimnoid posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't. It's a Forgeworld unit which, depending on who you talk to, is either 100% legal or the worst thing since Dracula and how dare you even mention it at the gaming table you WAAC scrublord.

Forgeworld units all look cool as gently caress, people who don't want them on the table have no sense of cinematics or narrative. Or style.

I mean gently caress, which one of these would you rather see on a table:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 12, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

I just don't see the point in doing the lines like that with an airbrush. Sure, if the person was pre-shading that'd be fine, but leaving it as-is...just, ugh.

I've resorted to that sort of effect in the past, but it was with loving Stompas where yes, it is so big that doing linework with an airbrush is the best way to not go instantly insane. Not on small poo poo like flying croissants.

The Stompas (namely the red one) also look like it's burned or weathered metal instead of just... brown. There's also at least some variation in them, and they look far better for it.

twistedmentat posted:

Are they all regular models?
Yeah, they're all regular kits with new plastic HQs. Go hog wild.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Forgeworld units all look cool as gently caress, people who don't want them on the table have no sense of cinematics or narrative. Or style.

The one on the far right, duh.

Original Avatar or bust :colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SRM posted:

Yeah, they're all regular kits with new plastic HQs. Go hog wild.

Nice. That makes the set a pretty good discount. And that will complete my "need this" list for my space wolves, save the drop pods.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Slimnoid posted:

Are we saying that SRM needs to add a 1st edition Eldar army to his retro collection?

Because I think we should be

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I tried out a 1850 Minotaurs list with Asterion Moloc on Vassal, was pretty fun and a great close game with my friend's Raven Guard.

1850pts - Chapter Tactics (Minotaurs)

quote:

HQ
1x Asterion Moloc

Elites
5x Assault Terminators
- 5x TH & SS
- Land Raider Redeemer
- - Multi-melta
- - Extra Armour

Troops
5x Tactical Marines
- Combi-flamer
- Flamer
- Razorback
- - Lascannon + TL Plasma

5x Tactical Marines
- Combi-flamer
- Flamer
- Razorback

5x Tactical Marines
- Combi-melta
- Multi-melta
- Razorback

5x Tactical Marines
- Combi-melta
- Multi-melta
- Razorback

Fast Attack
1x Storm Talon
- TL Lascannon

1x Storm Talon
- TL Lascannon

1x Storm Talon
- TL Heavy Bolter

Heavy Support
1x Thunderfire Cannon

I might switch out the multi-melta for a simple meltagun, as I found that snapfiring after disembark was a bit annoying, and I can't always rely on the re-roll 1's. On the other hand, the 24" range is quite nice but might not be necessary with the razorbacks.

Just want to get some input before I go buy some extra Razorbacks and the Storm Talons to actually use this list in real life. (And I'll be converting the LasPlas turrets, as nice as the Forgeworld ones are).

I just love painting Minotaurs, even though I really shouldn't buy any more models.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Direwolf posted:

So, Esser-Z and I got in a Vassal game today, 2k points, his Farsight list against my Iyanden list. This was one of his first few games of 40k and I think our real question was how should you play the all-crisis suit list? He had decent amounts of shooting but really couldn't survive the return fire - he managed to kill a wraithknight that refused to make any armor saves (failed 6 out of 7) and blew up a wave serpent with Farsight in close combat, but by the bottom of turn 2 I had killed all but 4 Crisis suits, 2 of the 3 broadsides, his allied commander and almost all of his drones.

Our lists for comparison:

Eldar
Spiritseer, attached to Wraithblades
Warlock, attached to Rangers
5x Wraithguard w/ D Scythes in Wave Serpent
5x Wraithguard in Wave Serpent
5x Wraithblades in Wave Serpent
5x Rangers
Crimson Hunter
3x Vyper with 2x Shuriken Cannon
Wraithlord w/ bright lance, flamers
Wraithknight w/ suncannon, scatter laser
Fire Prism

Tau
Farsight, attached to Crisis squad
Riptide w/ ion cannon, 2 drones
Ripdide w/ ion cannon, 2 drones
3x Crisis w/ Missile/plasma, each w/ marker + shield drone
3x Crisis w/ Missile/plasma, each w/ marker + shield drone
Crisis w/ dual fusion, marker + shield
Broadside w/ railgun + shield drone
Broadside w/ railgun + shield drone
Broadside w/ missles and more missiles + shield drone
Allied:
Commander w/ 2x flamers
3x Crisis Squad w/ 2x flamers, marker + shield drone

The crisis suits just seemed really flimsy, even with all the drone ablatives. Suggestions?

I would suggest dumping some of the squads for bigger squads with 6 gun drones each. If your going to do a full on Farsight Enclaves army you should at least make it so that the squads of Crisis suits are harder to kill and have more bodies in the squads. Also, none of the 8 except Farsight? that is kind of lame. There is actually a way to take a 4 man squad of Missile broadsides with 8 missile drones. There used to be a way to attach the IC Riptide to a non-IC Riptide but alas, rule changes! Flamers are useless pieces or garbage. Dump them for dual plasma or fusion. Farsight should have a squad of 3 crisis suits and 6 gun drones as well. Also that list is illegal: allied detachments for battle-forged armies need 1 troop choice which there is none of. Marker drones and Shield drones don't mix well either, I would suggest missile drones for the broadsides and missile broadsides instead of heavy rail rifles. Anyways hope this helps!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

They didn't need to be separate detachments--I had room for all of them in one. Furthermore, I took two charts, as is legal now, instead of an allies--both were Farsight, so the suits were troops!

Are the Eight good? I'm definitely willing to grab some. I'm pretty new to this game and I'd like to get better at building! I'd really like to do the list all-battlesuits; I really appreciate the advice!

Will work on a new version now then toss it up to see what you think!

EDIT: Weird. Battlescribe is telling me I have too many of the Eight if I take two of them, while at the same time telling me I can take up to 7.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 12, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They should make a plastic Avatar Kit like the Daemon Prince one. That would be a million kinds of kickass.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

I'd say not without a FW update. Aren't they like 600 points?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Does this look vaguely reasonable? For some reason Battleforge is telling me I can have at most 1 of the Eight, then in the same sentence saying to choose up to 7 in my roster. I don't get it either.

I had previously misunderstood how shield drones worked--I thought they gave the whole squad a save, instead of being something you blocked with! I definitely see the value of gun drones, adding more firepower!

And hey, using more of the Eight means I get to make up more characters, since I don't plan to paint in Farsight colors and I like naming my character models! Whee!

I really like how the railgun Broadside LOOKS, but I'm willing to model a spare or two for display, if the missiles are significantly better!

I'd like to playtest sometime, if anyone's willing to Vassal!

+++ 2000pt Tau Empire: Supplement - Farsight Enclaves (2013) v10 Roster (Combined Arms Detachment)) +++

Tau Empire: Supplement - Farsight Enclaves (2013) v10 (Combined Arms Detachment) Selections:

+ No Force Org Slot + (433pts)

* Farsight's Commander Team (433pts) (Farsight Enclaves)
(HQ choice (not counting towards FoC))
* Honour-Shas'vre O'Vesa (305pts) (Farsight Enclaves p88)
(Independent Character, Nova Reactor, Preferred Enemy (Orks) (CC only), Supporting Fire)
Early warning override, Earth Caste Pilot Array (*), Ion accelerator, Riptide battlesuit, Riptide Shield Generator, Stimulant injector, Twin-linked fusion blaster
* 2x Shielded Missile Drone
2x Missile pod, 2x Shield generator
* Shas'vre Ob'lotai 9-0 (128pts) (Farsight Enclaves p88)
(Bonding Knife Ritual, Extremely Bulky, Independent Character, Preferred Enemy (Orks) (CC only), Supporting Fire)
Broadside battlesuit, Seeker missile, Twin-linked high-yield missile pod, Twin-linked smart missile system, Velocity tracker
* 2x Missile Drone
2x Missile pod

+ HQ + (165pts)

* Commander Farsight (165pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p96)
(Independent Character, Preferred Enemy (Orks), Supporting Fire, Very Bulky)
Crisis battlesuit, Plasma rifle, Shield generator, The Dawn Blade

+ Elites + (320pts)

* XV104 Riptide (320pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p100)
(Nova Reactor, Preferred Enemy (Orks) (CC only), Supporting Fire)
Earth Caste Pilot Array (30pts) (*), Ion accelerator (5pts), Riptide battlesuit, Riptide Shield Generator, Stimulant injector (35pts), Twin-linked fusion blaster, Velocity tracker (20pts)
* 2x Shielded Missile Drone (50pts)
2x Missile pod, 2x Shield generator

+ Troops + (693pts)

* XV8 Crisis Team (231pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p100)
(Preferred Enemy (Orks) (CC only), Supporting Fire, Very Bulky)
Bonding Knife Ritual (3pts) (*)
* Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
Crisis battlesuit, 2x Fusion blaster (30pts)
* Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
* Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
* 6x Gun Drone (72pts)
6x Twin-linked pulse carbine

* XV8 Crisis Team (231pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p100)
* Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
Crisis battlesuit, 2x Plasma rifle (30pts)
* Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
* Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
* 6x Gun Drone (72pts)

* XV8 Crisis Team (compulsory) (231pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p100)
* Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
* Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
* Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
* 6x Gun Drone (72pts)

+ Fast Attack + (112pts)

* Drone Squadron (56pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p101)
(Preferred Enemy (Orks) (CC only), Supporting Fire)
* 4x Marker Drone (56pts)
4x Markerlight

* Drone Squadron (56pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p101)
(Preferred Enemy (Orks) (CC only), Supporting Fire)
* 4x Marker Drone (56pts)
4x Markerlight

+ Heavy Support + (275pts)

* XV88 Broadside Team (275pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p103)
(Extremely Bulky, Preferred Enemy (Orks) (CC only), Supporting Fire)
* Broadside Shas'ui (65pts)
Broadside battlesuit, Twin-linked high-yield missile pod, Twin-linked smart missile system
* Broadside Shas'ui (65pts)
Broadside battlesuit, Twin-linked high-yield missile pod, Twin-linked smart missile system
* Broadside Shas'ui (70pts)
Broadside battlesuit, Target lock (5pts), Twin-linked high-yield missile pod, Twin-linked smart missile system
* 6x Missile Drone (72pts)
6x Missile pod

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Slimnoid posted:

Thats the avatar I plan to run in my army

high six
Feb 6, 2010

LordAba posted:

Is there a price on this yet? If the box provides a decent enough discount on it, that will be pretty amazing. Just put together a bunch of little two player boxes with unique characters and go nuts!

EDIT: It's 125... not too bad, but just out of my price range unless I can find someone who wants the wolves.

EDIT2: The ork stuff alone comes out to 110. That's actually a pretty decent deal if you can flip the other half of the set! Buying everything by itself is 250ish!

If you'd like to figure out a way to split the set, I'd be happy to pay half and take the Space Wolves. Not sure how we could manage that, though.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

NTRabbit posted:

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the avatar on the left...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Went to the nerd shop today in the Murda Mitten. Friend of mine, Jesse, had an entire army of 30k Iron Hands. I asked him where he got the money for it all, he said they were from China Forge.

The casting quality was better than Forgeworld, significantly better. :smith:

Place is Shoreline Minis, or Shoreline Gaming, pretty great group of folks. Everyone there actually showers. Gradiosity is great, too, not sure if they're still around.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 12, 2014

• Locked thread