Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Pasco posted:

"I know one thing about Snape and two things about Dumbledore!"

That section of the 'cast was so good it nearly killed me.

Don't 'cast and drive folks!

That was making me crack up on the bus like an idiot. I really want an Idle Movie Club now. Also, knowing he's not seen Harry Potter, I want Chris to watch Wizard People Dear Reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I bought a 3DS and picked up Link Between Worlds last year. First zelda game I've been able to get into since Ocarina of Time back in the day. It's very well done and finally made it seem like Nintendo was aware the old formula needed changing. I'm hoping Zelda Wii U expands on that even more.

I've also long felt that the Souls games are basically what I've wanted out of a modern Zelda game as far as combat and exploration are concerned. I really hope the Wii U one has more adult themes. It seems that if you say "mature Zelda" many longtime players think it means you are hoping for crazy amounts of gore and sex. It's such bullshit and a cop out.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

I'm with you, buddy. I don't care too much for modern Zelda games and Naavi is one of those things where, yes, it's a cliche to bitch about her but also she's the worst thing ever.

Fi from Skyward Sword is actually WORSE, if you can believe that.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I bought a 3DS and picked up Link Between Worlds last year. First zelda game I've been able to get into since Ocarina of Time back in the day. It's very well done and finally made it seem like Nintendo was aware the old formula needed changing. I'm hoping Zelda Wii U expands on that even more.

I've also long felt that the Souls games are basically what I've wanted out of a modern Zelda game as far as combat and exploration are concerned. I really hope the Wii U one has more adult themes. It seems that if you say "mature Zelda" many longtime players think it means you are hoping for crazy amounts of gore and sex. It's such bullshit and a cop out.

It's because "adult themes" could mean nearly ANYTHING. For instance this has nothing to do with sex or gore, but I don't want a Zelda game where Link becomes Joel from The Last Of Us or Lee from Walking Dead and is plagued by middle age stubble beard ennui. (That's the 2010s Adult Themes move I think.) I don't see why you'd push Zelda to be that. If it's able to hit the Indiana Jones or Pirates of the Caribbean line where there are a few more human moments (and also the enemies are harder I guess?) that's fine, but beyond that I don't really think it makes thematic sense for a Zelda game to dive too deep into the real mental/emotional problems that plague adults, because its a game about an adventurer who gets a boomerang and a hookshot, most often to stop a wizard of some kind.

So yeah, I think the reason "more adult themes" or "mature Zelda" gets so many eyerolls is because without a specific sense of what that actually means to you, and what that means in the constraints of a Zelda game, it is a nearly infinite unknown void for people to fill in for themselves. "Are these themes right for this game" is also a question you have to ask. Like, when people try to push Star Wars into a mega dark angst filled brooding man zone, I don't understand why they're putting that into Star Wars, instead of into a story and world that are built for it. I am absolutely not saying that's what you're asking for, because again I don't really know what you're asking for, but in those Star Wars cases (and in many Dark Zelda cases) it feels like people are trying to force their toys to grow up with them (or to bend them to justify/support their burgeoning adult thoughts, worldviews, and problems) instead of finding new avenues to pursue that are actually about those things at their core.

It's a big fat topic that I think is almost impossible to discuss without specifics.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 10, 2014

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Yeah, that's fair. I guess I really don't know what I want to see out of a modern Zelda game at this point. It's definitely not grimdark, but then again it's not babby's first adventure either. The quick look at Zelda Wii U got me excited though, so maybe they are on to whatever "it" is.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

bobservo posted:

Fi from Skyward Sword is actually WORSE, if you can believe that.

I believe it and tried it briefly. I really dislike that game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Adult themes is a really vague term, but I would like the series to deal with actual things like themes and subtexts. Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are probably the most "mature" games in the series and consequently also the most interesting from a storytelling perspective since they try to tackle metaphysical ideas and things like loss and depression.

I generally don't have a problem with the tone and feel of the series, but Skyward Sword came dangerously close to just being a kind of vapid, predictable retread of everything that came before it (somewhat salvaged by Groose). Basically, Zelda can be more than it is - I think what it really needs is genuine emotion, a strong creative voice that is driven by more than just "hey we gotta have the Triforce and Ganon and Zelda and Link". I understand why it follows such a rigid formula, but imagine if they tried to dramatically play with the setting, like an entire game set in the underworld or in, like... space, and then try to base the game's tone and feel around that. Other than the graphical style, this is probably what's most appealing about Wind Waker.

It's sad, because I love Zelda, but I look at something like Mario Galaxy and 3D World, and those games are just so far beyond any modern Zelda game (even Wind Waker in my opinion) in terms of creativity and just sheer force of brilliant design ideas. A Link Between Worlds is the closest the series has come to replicating that feeling for me in well over a decade, but for the most part it's lacking that emotional core I associate with my favourite Zelda games. It does have a lot of personality, though.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 10, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Navi wasn't that bad. I was kind of surprised when I first played Ocarina as to how non-intrusive she was. Also she hasn't been in a Zelda game since Ocarina.

Cedric the Owl, now there was a motherfucker.

EDIT: Not to be confused with the Zelda owl, who is also terrible but only pops up now and then.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Woffle posted:

Easily the worst part of Skyward Sword, which has some very good parts that add up to a terrible, lovely whole. It's the only Zelda game that I didn't finish after I started playing it (I never tried Majora's Mask so it doesn't count)...the end boss was just too frustrating with the motion controls. Even after getting the hang of the controls for most of the game, I found them to be Not Fun At All.

Groose4Lyfe, tho.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Mother fucker.

I can't believe the Thumbs are making us choose between these awesome shirt designs.

I'm a total sucker for glow-in-the-dark stuff, but also Top Gun, but also The Wizard.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

Pasco posted:

Don't 'cast and drive folks!

I nearly drove off the road to my death from laughing at Danielle's comment last week about Mario & Sonic at the Olymmpics and the running out of condoms at the olympic village.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Woffle posted:

You're totally missing out on memorable filler moments like "collect Banjo-Kazooie notes underwater 40 hours into the game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsaVBCqhKiA&t=18s

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It makes me sad that Danielle doesn't just talk in her natural accent, it's delightful. Someone should tell her it's ok to talk like herself but that sort of thing is probably really hard to reverse.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

weird bleep posted:

You're totally missing out on memorable filler moments like "collect Banjo-Kazooie notes underwater 40 hours into the game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsaVBCqhKiA&t=18s

Yeah, when Nintendo called Skyward Sword the biggest Zelda ever I think they meant to say "it's filled to capacity with N64-era Rare bullshit." If I recall, you have to go back and collect notes in all of the old areas, right?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

bobservo posted:

Yeah, when Nintendo called Skyward Sword the biggest Zelda ever I think they meant to say "it's filled to capacity with N64-era Rare bullshit." If I recall, you have to go back and collect notes in all of the old areas, right?

That poo poo is Not Ok.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
The biggest sin of Skyward Sword's marketing was comparing flying around in the sky to the sailing of Wind Waker. It might not have been much but at least every square of WW's map had something to find unlike the 7? total things you could fly to in the sky, 4 of them being the starting town and the 3 ground locations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobservo posted:

No, just in that area. You still have to go to every region twice, though. I'm one of the few people here who will still maintain that Twilight Princess is an awesome game, but I thought Skyward Sword was 80% filler garbage. I almost couldn't take it.

Basically gently caress any game that makes something as cool as swimming around a huge underwater forest a tedious collectathon.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ja2ke posted:

So yeah, I think the reason "more adult themes" or "mature Zelda" gets so many eyerolls is because without a specific sense of what that actually means to you, and what that means in the constraints of a Zelda game, it is a nearly infinite unknown void for people to fill in for themselves. "Are these themes right for this game" is also a question you have to ask. Like, when people try to push Star Wars into a mega dark angst filled brooding man zone, I don't understand why they're putting that into Star Wars, instead of into a story and world that are built for it. I am absolutely not saying that's what you're asking for, because again I don't really know what you're asking for, but in those Star Wars cases (and in many Dark Zelda cases) it feels like people are trying to force their toys to grow up with them (or to bend them to justify/support their burgeoning adult thoughts, worldviews, and problems) instead of finding new avenues to pursue that are actually about those things at their core.

While I'm on the same page with, like, the overall gist of this argument, it's very very easy to use this line of reasoning to create ridiculous false dilemmas, a thing Nintendo fans are good at doing to people who criticize the company's flagship franchises. The problem with Star Wars, for example, isn't just that Star Wars fans grew up; it's also that the prequels really were bad movies, both markedly inferior to the original trilogy as films and also less original by virtue of the fact that they're prequels

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I guess I really don't know what I want to see out of a modern Zelda game at this point. It's definitely not grimdark, but then again it's not babby's first adventure either. The quick look at Zelda Wii U got me excited though, so maybe they are on to whatever "it" is.

At this point I'd be happy with them either jettisoning the narrative stuff and getting back to a pure play experience more like The Legend of Zelda or even LTTP (I haven't played Link Between Worlds) OR taking the narrative stuff and, I dunno, making it good, like the original Star Wars trilogy or most of Miyazaki's films or basically any Pixar movie or any of the myriad of things ostensibly for children that have actual meaningful themes and affect of any kind

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Zombies' Downfall posted:

While I'm on the same page with, like, the overall gist of this argument, it's very very easy to use this line of reasoning to create ridiculous false dilemmas, a thing Nintendo fans are good at doing to people who criticize the company's flagship franchises. The problem with Star Wars, for example, isn't just that Star Wars fans grew up; it's also that the prequels really were bad movies, both markedly inferior to the original trilogy as films and also less original by virtue of the fact that they're prequels

This isn't intended to sound snarky but I don't know what point you're trying to argue. I would like to, and it's probably on me for missing it, but I genuinely can't tell.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ja2ke posted:

This isn't intended to sound snarky but I don't know what point you're trying to argue. I would like to, and it's probably on me for missing it, but I genuinely can't tell.

Since you used Star Wars as an example, The Empire Strikes Back is actually a perfect example of how you don't have to choose between "adult themes" (for a reasonable, mature definition of what that means) and something that is accessible and appealing to children. I frequently find that Nintendo's vocal fans have a tendency to propose false dilemmas of that sort to handwave criticism.

I've been up all night and I wasn't really trying to argue about it anyway.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pasco posted:

I can't believe the Thumbs are making us choose between these awesome shirt designs.

I love the gifs.

I'm abstaining, because I like them all.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I love the gifs.

I'm abstaining, because I like them all.

Now I won't feel right until you can put an animated gif on a t-shirt.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Crate and crowbar continues to be excellent. I really enjoyed their discussion of older games they liked. People will often mention aliens and lord of the rings as inspiration for loads of games but they are totally right about saving private ryan in the 00's as well.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 13, 2014

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Jippa posted:

Crate and crowbar continues to be excellent. I really enjoyed their discussion of older games they liked. People will often mention aliens and lord of the rings and inspiration for loads of games but they are totally right about saving private ryan in the 00's as well.

Me too! I dig that podcast, got a nice flow. The Level has grown on me also. So I check them both out weekly now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Al! posted:

It makes me sad that Danielle doesn't just talk in her natural accent, it's delightful. Someone should tell her it's ok to talk like herself but that sort of thing is probably really hard to reverse.

Late, but I just listened to this podcast, and yeah I'm kind of legit bummed that she doesn't talk like that all the time. Thick accents are the best.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It took me a decade to allow myself to go back to my inborn(bred?) country drawl after growing up as a nerd in the boonies and hating everything country. If I had an accent like hers it might take speech classes to bring back. She is extremely enjoyable to listen to while using it, though!

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Ugh I'd be happy if I never heard a Boston accent again in my life.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

21 pages and no mention of The Indoor Kids which is quickly becoming one of my favorite video game related podcasts. It stars husband/wife duo Kumail Nanjiani (stand-up comedian, Dinesh in Silicon Valley) and Emily V. Gordon (a couples therapist turned comedian who runs a self esteem tumblr). What's great is that they're entertainers by trade so they talk about video games from an outside-the-industry perspective which leads to some irreverent and insightful interviews with other entertainers and industry professionals like Dan Harmon (Community creator) and Brandon Boyer (IGF chairman). One episode they talk to Abbie Heppe, community manager for Respawn, and they bring up Titanfall for about five minutes before delving in to how Abbie got into the industry. IIRC she started as a writer for Tips and Tricks or some other hint magazine which was at an odd place in the early aughts when the internet was making the industry unnecessary. She also talks about how weird it is being a community manager like having to climb a rock wall while simultaneously talking about Titanfall(???) or being interviewed for a Korean channel or something next to a famous Asian model/celebrity.

It's a refreshing show because they ask questions that no one else is asking. They mention how frustrated they get dealing with big companies versus indies because they want to go on tangents like "You mentioned musical theater, what's your favorite stage play" which PR for big companies absolutely hate. Video game news in general feels so cut and paste. An "exclusive interview" here ends up getting reported elsewhere so focusing on personal questions gives me far more insight than "What games inspired your design ah yes that's my favorite too!"

It's also nice hearing opinions from a rather diverse cast. Kumail grew up in Pakistan and he often goes on funny tangents about his childhood, playing Commodore 64 with his friends, mispronouncing American names, and playing with knockoff action figures. Emily was a couples therapist so she usually relates to games emotionally instead of the same old "this is a good game. it has solid gameplay. blah blah blah." One of my favorite episodes is where they talk to Tom Bissell, video game critic turned video game writer, about the difficulties actually writing for a video game and he criticizes video game criticism.

Yeah, I love this podcast. It's legitimately funny and has a wide range of diverse guests on the show. It's the only gaming podcast I listen to that doesn't feel like a live commented extension of the website/product that the creators work for.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think someone previously said something among the lines of liking Idle Thumbs because they often know some intricate details about subjects. If they aren't knowledgeable about something they'll straight up admit that and not dwell on the subject.

I dislike the Indoor Kids because it's the opposite of that.

Having said that, I still subscribe to the RSS feed but only listen to episodes if the guest interests me (which is usually people who aren't from the comedy scene, even though I listen to plenty of comedy podcasts).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Gary, Kole, any other duckfeed.TV fellows that post here congrats on reaching your final tier for your patreon. I started listening like 5 episodes into Watch Out for Fireballs and now I listen to pretty much everything the network produces. Collectively I think you provide some of the most insightful commentary on games and the news surrounding them and I'm glad things are going successfully.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Gary, Kole, any other duckfeed.TV fellows that post here congrats on reaching your final tier for your patreon. I started listening like 5 episodes into Watch Out for Fireballs and now I listen to pretty much everything the network produces. Collectively I think you provide some of the most insightful commentary on games and the news surrounding them and I'm glad things are going successfully.

Thanks man! I think there are probably some other equipment things we could use that we might add as milestones but in general, we're bowled over by everyone's generosity and support. You guys are great.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm probably too late, but on the latest episode of Bonfireside, you said Manscorpion Tark was the first nonhuman NPC you could summon in the souls series. I'm honestly surprised nobody remembered summoning Sif for the Manus fight, even given that you had mentioned her earlier in the episode when comparing DS2 bosses to DS1 bosses.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Funkmaster General posted:

I'm probably too late, but on the latest episode of Bonfireside, you said Manscorpion Tark was the first nonhuman NPC you could summon in the souls series. I'm honestly surprised nobody remembered summoning Sif for the Manus fight, even given that you had mentioned her earlier in the episode when comparing DS2 bosses to DS1 bosses.

Sif thinks he's people, at least. :woof:

The Sonic porn discussion on Thumbs two weeks ago completely annihilated me. That was some good business.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

I think someone previously said something among the lines of liking Idle Thumbs because they often know some intricate details about subjects. If they aren't knowledgeable about something they'll straight up admit that and not dwell on the subject.

Having said that, I still subscribe to the RSS feed but only listen to episodes if the guest interests me (which is usually people who aren't from the comedy scene, even though I listen to plenty of comedy podcasts).

They're not hardcore gamers and it's not like they spread misinformation. Sometimes they get a minor detail wrong and they correct themselves later. But they do know comedy, they know writing, and they talk to people both outside and inside the industry and it's that unique perspective I look for. I'm ashamed to admit I know way too much about video games as a subject so unless you're relating your personal experience then I probably already know the subject you're talking about.

I wish we got more esoteric people on these shows. I don't care about the Lead Designer whose interviewed everywhere, I want to hear from the scenario writer and what he thought his favorite scene was or something. The Witness apparently has hundreds of distinct footstep sound effects so interview the sound engineer and the challenge of recording all that and translating it into a video game. Break video games down by examining the things unique to medium.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

They're not hardcore gamers and it's not like they spread misinformation. Sometimes they get a minor detail wrong and they correct themselves later. But they do know comedy, they know writing, and they talk to people both outside and inside the industry and it's that unique perspective I look for. I'm ashamed to admit I know way too much about video games as a subject so unless you're relating your personal experience then I probably already know the subject you're talking about.

It can be kind of interesting to hear people who are not super-immersed in games react to them, but for the most part they don't really have anything interesting to say in their "whatcha been playing" type segment. They can be a lot of fun with the right guest, though.

al-azad posted:

I wish we got more esoteric people on these shows. I don't care about the Lead Designer whose interviewed everywhere, I want to hear from the scenario writer and what he thought his favorite scene was or something. The Witness apparently has hundreds of distinct footstep sound effects so interview the sound engineer and the challenge of recording all that and translating it into a video game. Break video games down by examining the things unique to medium.

Tone Control does a bit of this. Even big lead designer types like Jake Solomon end up talking about weird implementation details and crazy stories from earlier in their careers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

It can be kind of interesting to hear people who are not super-immersed in games react to them, but for the most part they don't really have anything interesting to say in their "whatcha been playing" type segment. They can be a lot of fun with the right guest, though.

Tone Control does a bit of this. Even big lead designer types like Jake Solomon end up talking about weird implementation details and crazy stories from earlier in their careers.

Fair enough, it certainly is the least interesting section. "I played a little bit of Titanfall this week... it's a fun game I guess." But they're funny enough that I don't get bored of that.

I'll have to subscribe to Tone Control. Even in 2014 with tumblr and social network we still don't know much about what goes on in the industry from a perspective that isn't the celebrity designer. I really liked Giant Bomb's live E3 aftershows because they were discussing the tone of the show as well as creator reactions to other creators. Someone made the point that E3 isn't just a show about pleasing shareholders, it's a show where industry professionals can check out their contemporaries and that's kind of forgotten in all the big pressers and advertisements.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mierenneuker posted:

So basically they're just like the dudes who do Gamers with Jobs?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lone Goat posted:

So I just started playing Dark Souls 1. Is there a point where I can start listening to select episodes of Bonfireside Chat without spoiling anything or should I wait until I clear the game before even bothering.

I beat Dark Souls a couple weeks ago, and finished Season 1 of Bonfireside Chat today and it was really good. Looking forward to listening to the Dark Souls 2 season after I play the game (probably during the next Steam Sale).

In the meantime, what duckfeed podcast should I listen to next? Also what does Gary's cat look like? It sounds cute.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
My duckfeed.tv ranking list: Bonfire Side Chat, Watch Out for Fireballs, The Level, Check it out Comrade!. I don't really listen to the rest enough to give an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The old Retronauts episodes are down on 1UP. Does anyone have any mirrors of them?

• Locked thread