Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
As a small boy I never understood/liked Zippy the Pinhead, but now I understand perfectly that it's the product of an aging but well-meaning hippie. It's like a comic your weird uncle draws. I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician
A real UFO would leave charred marks. That's just a fact. We all know that, right?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Thank gently caress when I travel internationally, the airport always puts up a poster of my destination next to the gate I need. God knows I'd never get on the right plane otherwise.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

VoidBurger posted:

Did he not notice "Romeo, Romeo, Romeo! Here's drnik:" or is that a Shakespeare thing
It's really hard to spellcheck when you're beating off while drawing an all but nude 13 year old killing herself.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

FunkyAl posted:

As a small boy I never understood/liked Zippy the Pinhead, but now I understand perfectly that it's the product of an aging but well-meaning hippie. It's like a comic your weird uncle draws. I love it!

It's great just because Griffith, the creator, is as unable as anyone to explain why it's a syndicated comic. He was an underground comic artist that happened to be in the right place at the right time when William Randolph Hearst III decided he wanted an underground comic in his paper. The rest is nonsensical history.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I just noticed that Comics Kingdom has a new comic that just started last Monday. It's called Intelligent Life. Here's the first strip.

Well, we're off to a good start here. There's no joke, the main character appears to be an unlikeable idiot and the art style seems to be copied from Family Guy, but apart from that it's great.

Tuesday introduced a new character (but still no jokes). I say character, but there's no sign of any kind of personality.

He seems to be there simply to prevent the protagonist from having to talk to himself.

The cast grows again on Thursday. I'm reminded of Rudy Park. That's not a good thing.

Friday develops the characters a little. By which I mean that we finally learn the protagonist's name.

And today's strip, I think, gives us a pretty good idea of where this comic is going. Into the garbage. It's bad.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The lower eyelid and both eyebrows being placed/used randomly makes me think everyone's drunk, or at least the artist is.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiggum posted:

Tuesday introduced a new character (but still no jokes). I say character, but there's no sign of any kind of personality.

That third panel might well be a tracing of Peter and Quagmire with altered haircuts.

Also, they're apparently such good friends they always goose step together while talking about Gwen, the girl at work.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

A real UFO would leave charred marks. That's just a fact. We all know that, right?
Looks like Hojo put Inspector Danger on the case.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy's lesson for the day: Don't even begin smoking (unless you intend to finish the one you light up). (April 23, 1927)

Peanuts profiles a diplomatic relationship. (July 15, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Was the backpack entirely necessary?

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way gives us a cowboy double feature. (April 10-11, 1925)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like this new, bold direction where Peter Parker is (just barely) smarter than everyone surrounding him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Another masterpiece of composition by Brooke

Really helps the serious moment

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tiggum posted:

I just noticed that Comics Kingdom has a new comic that just started last Monday. It's called Intelligent Life. Here's the first strip.

Well, we're off to a good start here. There's no joke, the main character appears to be an unlikeable idiot and the art style seems to be copied from Family Guy, but apart from that it's great.

He seems to be there simply to prevent the protagonist from having to talk to himself.

The cast grows again on Thursday. I'm reminded of Rudy Park. That's not a good thing.

Friday develops the characters a little. By which I mean that we finally learn the protagonist's name.

And today's strip, I think, gives us a pretty good idea of where this comic is going. Into the garbage. It's bad.

Why is it that I suddenly get distinct flashbacks to B^U while reading this?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

DOGG

Ripley's

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

VoidBurger posted:

Did he not notice "Romeo, Romeo, Romeo! Here's drnik:" or is that a Shakespeare thing

This is just beautiful. You put all that work into that cartoon, Brooke, only to completely blow it by not re-checking your spelling. If I did that, I would've checked it, like, 20 teims...

:v:

Non Sequitur

It's interesting how the "sock is in limbo" problem is so perennial. I swear, I can't recall ever losing a single sock in the laundry.

Heavenly Nostrils is caught up, so here are yesterday's and today's.

:stare: I guess that sort of could be called pyromania.

I like "Monster Girl" better.

9 Chickweed Lane 7/12/2003

... the gently caress? It's just BrookeSpeak©. Nothing to see here. Move along, please.

Zits

Oh, I dunno, standing around in a wiener suit for 8 bucks an hour isn't too terribly bad. Unless you're outside, and it's 95F with 90% humidity. I'll bet Pierce would do it in a heartbeat.

Kevin & Kell

This is somehow more unsettling than it usually is. Just the fact that predators and prey have conversations at all.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 12, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Those aren't even the lyrics! God damnit, Gilchrist!

Cul-de-sac

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

People have patented all sorts of stupid devices, Ripley ghost writer. Uphill ski fans got nothin' on spinning a baby out of a lady.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

This is somehow more unsettling than it usually is. Just the fact that predators and prey just have conversations at all.

What I find more unsettling here is the fact that the herbivore is used to being ID tagged, meaning he's probably someone's property.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Why is it that I suddenly get distinct flashbacks to B^U while reading this?

The main character's smug superiority does sort of remind me of Ethan. I'm getting a Dobson vibe from it as well, mostly from the whole "DUMB JOCKS!!!:argh:" aspect.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nikaer Drekin posted:

The main character's smug superiority does sort of remind me of Ethan. I'm getting a Dobson vibe from it as well, mostly from the whole "DUMB JOCKS!!!:argh:" aspect.

The blond guy is virtually a clone of a Dobson character. This is so generic its almost painful.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Those aren't even the lyrics! God damnit, Gilchrist!
Pretty sure that's intentional. It's still a bad comic, but not because Gilchrist doesn't know the words to Ring of Fire.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For some reason I can't get the large-sized The Dinette Set today. Whether or not that's a bad thing is an exercise for the reader.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That is peak bizarro there

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Wasn't expecting the Circus family to be in the habit of importing their chocolate drink mix from Japan.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Okay, so if Gilchrist isn't Branson, he's at least Gatlinburg.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
"Perforce"

gently caress off, Scott.

Cow and Boy

Sherman's Lagoon

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mehuyael posted:

What I find more unsettling here is the fact that the herbivore is used to being ID tagged, meaning he's probably someone's property.

I'm sure it's just a fetish thing.

Wow, topical. Great.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heh. Someone must have pointed out the drnik typo to Brooke because he's now gone back and fixed that one too.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ms Boods posted:

Thank gently caress when I travel internationally, the airport always puts up a poster of my destination next to the gate I need. God knows I'd never get on the right plane otherwise.

It's pretty nice of the airport to put the gate right next to the drop off zone

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ironically, the Dilbert comic could actually be funny and insightful, if only I could believe that the artist was aware that Dilbert is being insufferable.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Remember, Friday the Thirteenth falls on a Sunday this month. Stay safe and watch out for Bad Luck Comix.

Pooch Café

It's a good thing he didn't try and jump for it. That could have ended worse.

Ballard Street

Bobby goes to the bingo hall in a sports coat and hat? Isn't he overdressing a little? Last time I went to a bingo hall I saw at least four old ladies who hadn't bothered to change out of their dressing gowns.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 7/12/2003

... the gently caress? It's just BrookeSpeak©. Nothing to see here. Move along, please.

It's a line in a comedy skit from Bert & I:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6V2Ew1M0sE

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Aardmania posted:

Heh. Someone must have pointed out the drnik typo to Brooke because he's now gone back and fixed that one too.

I like how the fact there was a typo in the first place confirms that he actually bothers to type out the Romeo and Juliet dialogue instead of finding a transcript online and copypasting it. Like, you know, a sane person would. Considering how lazily done everything else is, you'd think he'd take the most obvious shortcut too.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Hold it! That's a picture of private Pekka Feodoroff, a Finnish soldier, taken on the frozen Nollemjärvi near Nautsi, Finland on the October 26th, 1941, during Finland's war with Soviet Union :colbert:

Some more photos of the same dapper fellow, courtesy of the Finnish Army: http://imgur.com/a/XAWYn

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sweetguts posted:

I like how the fact there was a typo in the first place confirms that he actually bothers to type out the Romeo and Juliet dialogue instead of finding a transcript online and copypasting it. Like, you know, a sane person would. Considering how lazily done everything else is, you'd think he'd take the most obvious shortcut too.

A professional artist drawing people with flipper hands and two left feet isn't so much lazy as it is incompetent.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (July 5-7, 1956)

Well, it's best to hear it from someone you know...

Bonus Peanuts (July 5-7, 1956)

Even in '56 the Saturday strip was expendable, but at least Snoopy was still trying to be a dog.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Romeo and Junjiet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Romeo and Junjiet.

Oh man, there's like 50 panels from the Black Paradox that would work with this one. Probably a few from Tomie, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

I've heard before that a lot of ice cream trucks sell drugs on the side. Not sure if it's true, but it makes sense.

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Wow.

• Locked thread