Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FRINGE posted:

The study was not restricted to the "single molecule", which was one of the explicit points.

The same arguments have arisen across a variety of other environmental threads, the fracking fluid topics, and the oil spill dispersants being obvious ones. The mixtures may not have the same effects as any part.

I don't think you really understand what you're arguing here. GMOs are not agricultural chemicals.

Testing pesticides is a completely different issue from testing GMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

FRINGE posted:

In this regard, it is noteworthy that the far greater toxicity of full agricultural formulations compared to declared supposed active principles alone has recently been demonstrated also for six other major pesticides tested in vitro[22]
Turns out Seralini is still cranking out the BS:
http://www.euractiv.com/cap/crisis-intervention-needed-pesti-news-533257

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Deteriorata posted:

I don't think you really understand what you're arguing here. GMOs are not agricultural chemicals.
Making up arguments and then asserting that they belong to someone else has a name. Fake 'educating' them afterwards is very you.

Deteriorata posted:

I am citing the article directly. Are you disagreeing with that passage?

Negative Entropy posted:

quote:

Adjuvants in pesticides are generally declared as inerts, and for this reason they are not tested in long-term regulatory experiments.
Thats also exactly what Séralini said. What to do regarding future research is where they disagree.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Fringe how many of us in this thread who argue with you do you think are paid shills?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Making up arguments and then asserting that they belong to someone else has a name. Fake 'educating' them afterwards is very you.

I am citing the article directly. Are you disagreeing with that passage?

No, I'm not disagreeing with the passage. I'm disagreeing with you. You cited a passage about testing pesticides as a reason to test GMOs. You seem unaware that those are two unrelated things.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Fringe how many of us in this thread who argue with you do you think are paid shills?

The conspiracy goes all the way up, all the way down, and in circles too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Lowtax?

Low Tax?

Who likes Low Taxes?

That's right, BIG FOOD LIKES LOW TAXES!

You're busted, SA.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

FRINGE posted:

Thats also exactly what Séralini said. What to do regarding future research is where they disagree.
Yes but you aren't actually saying anything new in this post. The sky is blue?
Here's some more analysis of Seralini's pesticide paper:

quote:

Toxicologists have reservations about the study. "There are issues in terms of its design and execution, as well as its overall tone," writes Michael Coleman, a toxicologist at Aston University in Birmingham, U.K., in an e-mail to ScienceInsider. "Anything is toxic in high concentration, the question is whether the toxicity is relevant to the levels of the agents we are ingesting. This paper does not seem to address this issue at all." Martin van den Berg, a toxicologist at Utrecht University in the Netherlands, says the paper deserved to be reviewed. But he, too, questions the experimental design. "The endpoints observed are so general that we could probably find the same kind of toxicity with lemon juice or grapefruit extract," he says. "It's not new or shocking. It is what I would have expected at the level he is giving this to the cells." Séralini dismisses the criticisms as biased. "I recognize the remarks of industry in that," :tinfoil: he tells ScienceInsider.
http://news.sciencemag.org/environment/2014/02/pesticide-study-sparks-backlash

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 12, 2014

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
In vitro is a very lousy model for this kind of study. It is not comparable to a whole animal. It's not even particularly accurate on a cellular level, since the conditions are quite different (more oxygen leads to more oxidative stress, the cells may already be stressed to some degree which makes them more vulnerable to chemical stressors, strong selective pressure leads to differences in the cells from how they are in vivo, and other differences).

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

It's reasonable to connect the issue of toxicity in pesticides with GMOs, since the Roundup Ready trait is popular and naturally encourages the use of the specific pesticide Roundup.

Of course it shouldn't be forgotten that glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, does not actually have harmful or carcinogenic effects to people or animals, and the only study to supposedly indicate otherwise was bunk from a now-discredited scientist with an obvious agenda.

AuMaestro fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 12, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Speaking of "combating scientific ignorance", FRINGE also isn't a fan of fluoridating water. As you can see, lots of links, lots of misrepresentation and so on. Same poo poo, different topic.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

Speaking of "combating scientific ignorance", FRINGE also isn't a fan of fluoridating water. As you can see, lots of links, lots of misrepresentation and so on. Same poo poo, different topic.
"FRINGE" is a highly appropriate name then.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
How on earth is he not banned? He's been doing dumb poo poo like this for as long as I can remember there being science-related threads in here.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Sinestro posted:

How on earth is he not banned? He's been doing dumb poo poo like this for as long as I can remember there being science-related threads in here.

The liberal bias(one that I agree with) on these forums has a side effect of when crazy left-wing stuff is brought up, people are ignored or probated. Crazy right-wingers are banned.
FRINGE is just a stereotypical hippy science-hater, the yin to the yang of the Tea Party.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Solkanar512 posted:

Water flouridation :freep:, God loving damnit. FRINGE, gently caress off before you sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids with your bullshit.

Mrit posted:

The liberal bias(one that I agree with) on these forums has a side effect of when crazy left-wing stuff is brought up, people are ignored or probated. Crazy right-wingers are banned.
FRINGE is just a stereotypical hippy science-hater, the yin to the yang of the Tea Party.

Crazy pseudo-lefty science haters aren't better than the Tea Party, wannabe modern day luddites are as much of a burden on society as FYGM republicans who want to eat the poor.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
Poe's law applies a bit, but there is a bit of echo chamber effect in this forum and Poe's corollary , where even if he is fake the fact that he is believable means that that there are millions of people who probably espouse the same views regularly.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
My favorite part of the Seralini study is the (non-significant) correlation between glyphosate intake and lifespan in male rats. Male rats that were fed round-up lived longer.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

NFX posted:

My favorite part of the Seralini study is the (non-significant) correlation between glyphosate intake and lifespan in male rats. Male rats that were fed round-up lived longer.

I bet you can make that significant if you try enough different statistical tests :pseudo:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Oh look another non-contributing shitpost from the shithead that complains about shitposts.

blowfish posted:

Stop supporting positions which are harder to argue against than a strawman :argh:

blowfish posted:

Oh god, this thread has become stupid.

blowfish posted:

Something something evil gubmint goonspiracy :irony:
Every thread, same making GBS threads, no contributions.

Solkanar512 posted:

Poor you. I summed up your fixation and hurt your feelings. You were told to drop your pet topic by various people in that thread too.

Have all the flouride you want. Stop being mad at Portland over it.

FRINGE posted:

This topic is dumb.

Mrit posted:

FRINGE is just a stereotypical hippy science-hater
Nope. Youre bad at this. Didnt actually read the thread either. Lazy dogpiler.

Thats all you get as long as this is the game.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Every thread, same making GBS threads, no contributions.
Speak for yourself :ironicat:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

FRINGE posted:

That referendum was shameful, a mark against the city that will take us years to overcome (if ever).

Since we're on the topic of the Seralini study: if the GM corn in question really was carcinogenic, wouldn't we see a marked increase in the rate of cancer among people in areas where foods made with said corn were sold? Since corn is omnipresent in the American diet, that would be almost the entire population, and it would be immediately obvious if people were being diagnosed that much more, right?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

That referendum was shameful, a mark against the city that will take us years to overcome (if ever).

Since we're on the topic of the Seralini study: if the GM corn in question really was carcinogenic, wouldn't we see a marked increase in the rate of cancer among people in areas where foods made with said corn were sold? Since corn is omnipresent in the American diet, that would be almost the entire population, and it would be immediately obvious if people were being diagnosed that much more, right?

But US cancers are still on a downswing, which doesn't support GMOs being horrible, so this observation is irrelevant for ~reasons~.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He's demonstrating all the classic conspiracy theory thinking:

"My opponents don't really exist": Accusing various posters of being alt accounts of one poster or possibly a Monsanto computer. By denying that 90 different people actually disagree with him, he can rationalize having a fringe opinion and instead frame it as two people of equal standing having a disagreement.

"My opponents don't really believe what they are saying": Everyone who disagrees is an employee of Monsanto being paid to shill, not another person who has formed their own conclusions from the available evidence.

"My opponents are sheeple who have swallowed propaganda": Blasting the thread with quantity instead of quality from Seralini, Greenpeace, Euractiv, and other worthless sources in an attempt to counteract solid information from reputable scientists.

Scientology Swerve: When shown that something he's saying is bullshit, attack the messenger. Never, ever admit defeat or even acknowledge that contradictory evidence exists. "This study is bad for the following reasons" gets the reply "you are a bad poster" or "you said something about Israel once." Actually acknowledging that there is a difference in kind between the pro-GMO studies by scientists and the anti-GMO tinfoil by Greenpeace is off the table.

Gish Gallop: Once thoroughly discredited in one argument, move to another. He's getting beat up on the rat study so in the next few pages he's going to start in on biodiversity or lobbying again. Keep moving from one thing to another so that it seems like there's an array of creationist anti-GMO arguments, but never actually see a single one through to demonstrate that it is valid. This is probably the most effective technique for convincing undecided people who are leaning towards the dumb position since it can easily be interpreted as an argument; the above four really only work to reinforce the beliefs of those who have already made up their minds.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

meat sweats posted:

Accusing various posters of being alt accounts of one poster
Just you.

Hit a nerve?

You made an abnormally long post full of fabricated bullshit. Something bothering you?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Just you.

Hit a nerve?

You made an abnormally long post full of fabricated bullshit. Something bothering you?

fringe's posting quality has declined below that of a Markov chain bot at this point. Seriously, provide actual arguments instead of being a contrarian dickhead.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

blowfish posted:

fringe's posting quality has declined below that of a Markov chain bot at this point. Seriously, provide actual arguments instead of being a contrarian dickhead.
blowfish's posting quality has never exceeded the quality of a Markov chain bot.

blowfish posted:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

FRINGE posted:

blowfish's posting quality has never exceeded the quality of a Markov chain bot.

Why don't you go back to checking peoples' post histories (it's not like you haven't already spent the :20bux:) without resorting to selective quoting. Oh wait, that's above the level of discourse you're capable of.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Something bothering you?

Yes, the fact that you jerk off to the idea of third-world children dying of malnutrition bothers me because I'm a moral human being.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

blowfish posted:

Why don't you go back to checking peoples' post histories without resorting to selective quoting.

blowfish posted:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hedera Helix posted:

Not to mention we'd see it in our vast grain-fed livestock herds too! Since those have been eating modified corn and other crops for even longer than humans.

Anyway remember folks, that FRINGE literally posted this in this very thread just before making GBS threads out a wall of quotes:

FRINGE posted:

I havent read it except to skim and clip a bit for here.

He does this for every topic ever.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kalman posted:

FRINGE posted:

Please do. It should be the kind of thing you enjoy doing.

I would love to see either or both happen.

You're the one who posted the marketing budget in response to my refuting your argument that repurposing GMO lobbying money would be effective.

So, I think there is no relevance whatsoever. Do you disagree, or do you admit you're full of poo poo and don't understand your own posts? If you disagree, please elaborate as to why.

Still waiting for an answer from you, FRINGE. Do you admit you posted irrelevant information or are you full of poo poo?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FRINGE posted:

Poor you. I summed up your fixation and hurt your feelings. You were told to drop your pet topic by various people in that thread too.

Remember, according to FRINGE, good public health policy is just a "fixation".

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

FRINGE posted:

The 90 day study Monsanto released?

Why would there not be a 2 year study as generally advised?

fringe you do know that this study being a 2 year study is actually to its detriment, right? The rats selected are unsuited to long term studies because they get super cancer on their own

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2013/10/massive-review-reveals-consensus-on-gmo-safety.html

quote:

Led by Alessandro Nicolia, an applied biologist at the University of Perugia in Italy, the team collected and evaluated 1,783 research papers, reviews, relevant opinions, and reports published between 2002 and 2012, a comprehensive process that took 12 months to complete. The records covered all aspects of GM crop safety, from how the crops interact with the environment, to how they could potentially affect the humans and animals who consume them.

"Our goal was to create a single document where interested people of all levels of expertise can get an overview on what has been done by scientists regarding GE crop safety," Nicolia told RCScience. "We tried to give a balanced view informing about what has been debated, the conclusions reached so far, and emerging issues."

Overall, the scientific literature was heavily in favor of GM agriculture.

The report delved into specifics. First focusing on the effects that GM crops might have on biodiversity, the researchers found little to no evidence that GM crops harm native animal species. Furthermore, their review revealed that non-GM crops actually tend to reduce biodiversity to a higher degree.

Another concern espoused by GM opponents is that the proteins encoded by the genes inserted into GM crops can be toxic or allergenic. Again, the reviewers found no evidence that this is the case.

Remember, this is the real science: thousands upon thousands of tests showing GMO is a positive good. And they were not "funded by Monsanto" either.

Alessandro Nicolia has worked in public universities his entire life -- his money comes from notoriously GMO-phobic EU governments. He is not part of any corporation or lobbying group. G.E. Seralini's fraud was funded by Greenpeace and he sits on the board of two anti-technology organizations. Do you really want to talk about bias and following the dollars, FRINGE and other death-cultists? You will not like where this path leads.

meat sweats fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 12, 2014

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Hey FRINGE, I have some questions for ya: how do GMOs cause cancer? What mechanism causes this? I can't seem to find one in Seralini's retracted, refuted and otherwise debunked paper. Bonus points for not using the words "energy," "contamination" or "chemicals" in your explanation :allears:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Hey FRINGE, I have some questions for ya: how do GMOs cause cancer? What mechanism causes this? I can't seem to find one in Seralini's retracted, refuted and otherwise debunked paper. Bonus points for not using the words "energy," "contamination" or "chemicals" in your explanation :allears:

Who ever needed a causal link in a study? Bad scientists sure don't!

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

A proper study can show benefits or harm from a substance without having to know all the underlying mechanisms. After all, the main thing that you are looking for in side effects is something that you didn't predict or know about in advance. The relevant point here is that no proper study out of the thousands performed has ever shown harm from GMO corn or GMO anything, not that the hypothetical pathway isn't understood.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

meat sweats posted:

A proper study can show benefits or harm from a substance without having to know all the underlying mechanisms. After all, the main thing that you are looking for in side effects is something that you didn't predict or know about in advance. The relevant point here is that no proper study out of the thousands performed has ever shown harm from GMO corn or GMO anything, not that the hypothetical pathway isn't understood.

Depends. If there's got lots of correlational studies showing the same result (say, GMOs don't actually kill you), that's ok. If you're Seralini the one guy who gets a "GMOs are literally Hitler" result, you're the expected 1/20 false positive for p<0.05 unless you come up with a good reason for why you're not.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

fringe you do know that this study being a 2 year study is actually to its detriment, right? The rats selected are unsuited to long term studies because they get super cancer on their own
The problem was the number of rats used, not the length of the study or the type of rat. The length of study and the type of rat are the ones advised by the the US Department of Health and Human Services Toxicology Program. As Ive pointed out three times now.

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/testing/types/cartox/index.html

Kalman posted:

you're full of poo poo
Kalman I dont even think youre a smart person who likes to troll anymore. I think you are functionally illiterate. In a variety of threads you try to find something you can "misread" and then fixate on it for pages claiming you found "a lie" and then assign the person the job of writing an essay for you explaining it. Maybe you have non-ironic autism or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Again, the number of rats used make this study meaningless. It is not a compelling but incomplete result, it is simply garbage, and a needless cause of animal suffering (aside from his allowing moribund animals to suffer through to the end). It is unethical to do research that cannot by its design produce meaningful results.

Part of the problem with endlessly studying things when the answers are already known is that there are always people who will jump on the flawed or statistical outlier studies that produce the results they want, while ignoring all studies that produce another result.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 12, 2014

• Locked thread