Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

Because goddamn you're doing this to help people you WILL do it to this guys specifications.

There was a guy in the event channel freaking out about how terrible US players are at spotting golems, and how Europeans were all awesome at it. He really cared about spotters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

prefect posted:

There was a guy in the event channel freaking out about how terrible US players are at spotting golems, and how Europeans were all awesome at it. He really cared about spotters.

Stheboea or whatever his name is? Dude get's ANGRY about golems. Those are his directions.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Len posted:

Stheboea or whatever his name is? Dude get's ANGRY about golems. Those are his directions.

Dude got angry that I said purple pixel gamble bags aren't worth getting your blood pressure up over.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Pubbies love lottery bags yo! That is why signet bags used to sell like candy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is Shotgun/AR still good/bad? Want to make a guns only Illuminati guy, but all the stuff I can find online about those builds is from 2012. I imagine things have changed since then.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rookersh posted:

Is Shotgun/AR still good/bad? Want to make a guns only Illuminati guy, but all the stuff I can find online about those builds is from 2012. I imagine things have changed since then.

You can easily go with seven active AR abilities, with passives drawn from a few places. Once I decided to just be a leech-healing AR-shooting guy all the way, I made progress much faster.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

prefect posted:

You can easily go with seven active AR abilities, with passives drawn from a few places. Once I decided to just be a leech-healing AR-shooting guy all the way, I made progress much faster.

This leaves a TON of damage on the table because you aren't going to have a consumer for a second weapon.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

guppy posted:

This leaves a TON of damage on the table because you aren't going to have a consumer for a second weapon.

Anima Shot only builds AR resources.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

prefect posted:

At least slot blood. You can use those without resources.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

At least slot blood. You can use those without resources.

That costs health, doesn't it? I need all my precious, precious health; that's why I'm leeching all the time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

prefect posted:

That's why they are telling you not to do that. You need that much healing because your DPS is so low. It's a problem you are creating. Be the solution. Ciao Ciao.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

That's why they are telling you not to do that. You need that much healing because your DPS is so low. It's a problem you are creating. Be the solution. Ciao Ciao.

I kinda gotta back this. More dps has you ending combat sooner meaning you'll be getting punched in the face less meaning you'll need less healing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So all this means Shotgun/AR is trash then?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rookersh posted:

It definitely means you shouldn't take advice from me. :downs:

(Yes, I'm not what you might call "good" at the game.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rookersh posted:

No, AR/Shotgun is fine. It is probably still better to make AR the primary though. For questing you can do literally anything though -- frankly, for anything but Nightmares, really -- so if you want to primary shotgun, go nuts I guess.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rookersh posted:

No. It means using healing builders as the basis for anything other than a group healing build is not advisable. You can use Shotgun/AR just fine. You can also use a healing consumer for AR and it works ok. But using a healing builder cuts your dps by at least half. Which means everything takes 2-3 times as long to kill. Which means you take 2-3x as much damage. Which means topically-applied fluoride doesn't prevent tooth decay. It does render teeth detectable by spy satellite.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

HughGRect posted:

I made a magical snow flake build that I was running when doing solo content that was about as lazy as poo poo and let me hit 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 over and over. It strayed away from the builder/consumer mind set a little, but I had a ton of success with it. Others mileage will most likely vary. Anyways, here is an adaption of my build that a non ql-10.5.5 without a Karma Curio can use.

Blade / Fist Focus Build
ACTIVES - The Bread
Chop Shop - AoE mob cutter-downer
Dancing Blade - Solo mob cutter-downer
Berserk - Resource Dump for secondary weapon
Surgical Steel - Self heal to avoid repair bills while leashing mobs
Cauterise - Super self heal to use while leashing mobs
Blade Torrent - Builds a resource if you lose your focus attack.
Elite - Master's House

PASSIVES - The Butter
Finish the Movement - Makes the build work, when you finish channeling a focus ability you gain a resource for your primary (the one that is out) weapon.
Vital Fluids - 10% chance to gain a resource when you apply an afflict.
Invasive Measures - 10% chance to gain a resource when you hit a weakened target.
Blood Sport - Constant afflict that is always being reapplied to synergise with Vital Fluid.
Breakdown - Applies weakened (exposed) to synergise with Invasive Measures.
Ready for More - Self Cleanse when you finish channeling a focus, good for Transylvania status effects.
Elite Seal the Deal - More damage; but this is also a flex passive.

Here was my original theory: If I spin with Chop Shop for 2.5 seconds getting 5 chances for each proc against each mob, I should be able to get at 1 more resource for the next spin. What really happened was I was getting 3-5 resources against 2-3 mobs and melting everything. I had a lot of success with this build in solo and duo scenarios as well. This build can be very flexible while the core remaining the same.

I haven't tested this build in Tokyo yet, but it should be able to handle that content with some minor changes as well.

I'm really enjoying this build, but I have some questions. Since have have basically no healing on my gear since I'm still in Egypt, the heals are very weak in combat. Outside of combat they are great at getting me back to full. Is there an alternate for these? The other thing is with the fist heal and damage consumer, you basically build no fist resources unless you use the heal builder which is pretty weak. I really like the fact you can just chop shop and dancing blade over and over but it really leaves no room to do anything else.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 12, 2014

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
So, recently came back to this, wound up just making a new account because I got the Massive Edition fairly cheap and I wanted to start over anyways. I've been building off of the Cage Master starter deck since I like punching and I like dots, and it has been working wonders. Does anybody have any suggestions for ways to further beef it up, though? Just got to Blue Mountain.

Current set-up:

Claw
Blood Spike
Wild at Heart
Hog Wild
Cauterise
Go For the Throat
Infection

Sharp Claws
Thicker Than Water
Lick Your Wounds
Dark Potency
Unholy Knowledge
Predator
Out of the Woods

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Tenzarin posted:

I'm really enjoying this build, but I have some questions. Since have have basically no healing on my gear since I'm still in Egypt they are very weak in combat. Outside of combat they are great at getting me back to full. Is there an alternate for these? The other thing is with the fist heal and damage consumer, you basically build no fist resources unless you use the heal builder which is pretty weak. I really like the fact you can just chop shop and dancing blade over and over but it really leaves no room to do anything else.
Right but because fist is a melee weapon you'll always start the fight with 5 resources so you can just use the fist healing consumer as the fight is starting and get the HoT rolling while you murder the mob (which will reduce your HP deficit at the end of the fight). You can always get tacos from the guy in the London Haitian market to use as soon as you're out of combat as they'll boost your HP regen enormously.

Essentially what the guys are saying is that you really only want enough healing/utility abilities to allow you to not die during the fight while you go balls to the wall on the mob. After the fight is over you use tacos or whatever to get yourself back to full HP very quickly and the total time taken for killing the mob+regenerating HP with tacos is still less than just leeching the mob to death.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I'm really enjoying this build, but I have some questions. Since have have basically no healing on my gear since I'm still in Egypt, the heals are very weak in combat. Outside of combat they are great at getting me back to full. Is there an alternate for these? The other thing is with the fist heal and damage consumer, you basically build no fist resources unless you use the heal builder which is pretty weak. I really like the fact you can just chop shop and dancing blade over and over but it really leaves no room to do anything else.

This build came about because I was honestly tired of doing filler moves and pushing that extra 1% on a fight that didn't warrant the effort.

As for the questions: It is possible to drop one or both of the healing abilities in favor of other abilities that are off of the resource system. An example sticking with the Blade/Fist combo; swap out Surgical Steel and Cauterise for abilities that either allow for greater mobility, clickie damage boosts, or niche utility abilities. My recommendations would be to pick from two of the following:

Spiral of Death - A teleport/charge type of attack on a low cooldown.
Surging Blades - A charge attack on a low cooldown.
Steel Echo - Clickie damage boost that does amazing things with the blade heavy build.
Reckless - Clickie damage boost that increases damage by 20%, also increases incoming damage.
Sleight of Hand - Clickie that removes all CC on you, and makes you immune to CC for a few seconds. I usually have this on my bar in Transylvania and Issue content.

I personally like to take Spiral of Death, Sleight of Hand and Masters House. Gives you movement, a CC cleanse and a low cooldown damage boost.

You mentioned not having resources for the secondary weapon and this weakness is one of the reasons I like to take fists as a compliment weapon due to the resources refilling on their own out of combat, unlike magic and guns which require resources to be built during combat. You can activate Berserk before entering combat to gain the charges and if you give the resource regen a couple seconds you can cast it again while in combat after the initial charges have all fired off.

I think the big thing is to only focus on the blade resources while in combat. It is a huge paradigm shift from what everyone says and suggests, but for non-group content the damage output is more than sufficient to get the job done.

As far as an alternate to using abilities out of combat to heal up, the suggestion by Mercurius to use Tacos is spot on. Eat one of those bad boys and your health will fill up fast enough to make down time nearly non-existent. There is also an achievement for eating 10,000 of them (I think it is 10k, I know it is something ridiculous) that rewards this hat:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Did Funcom gently caress hit rating? I'm helping a friend out in SC and I'm glancing and getting evaded a lot more than I should with 651 hit rating.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Len posted:

Did Funcom gently caress hit rating? I'm helping a friend out in SC and I'm glancing and getting evaded a lot more than I should with 651 hit rating.
The pubbies were complaining about getting glances in Tokyo with 650 rating so I wouldn't be surprised.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mercurius posted:

The pubbies were complaining about getting glances in Tokyo with 650 rating so I wouldn't be surprised.

Well I could understand in Tokyo farther along mobs might demand more rating. But things in the first region should not be that bad.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Len posted:

Well I could understand in Tokyo farther along mobs might demand more rating. But things in the first region should not be that bad.
Come on mang, you know if funcom broke something in one zone they'll have unintentionally broken it everywhere else.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Hugh, I've been playing around with your build in Tokyo but I don't like fists so I used Blood for the secondary, with Bloodline and Exsanguinate for the Single target component and Exquisite Corpse for the active heal. I still sometimes die if I forget to change AEGIS, but it works pretty well for the most part. It's not as indestructible as Cheston's Blade/Chaos build so I do sorta have to be careful about not pulling too many things - I miss having Leeching Frenzy + Undying Augment proccing on my builder. What ratio of HP/Attack/Heal talismans do you use?

Also, I have a full set of corrupted SD cards which I will sell for a very reasonable price.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Zephonith posted:

Hugh, I've been playing around with your build in Tokyo but I don't like fists so I used Blood for the secondary, with Bloodline and Exsanguinate for the Single target component and Exquisite Corpse for the active heal. I still sometimes die if I forget to change AEGIS, but it works pretty well for the most part. It's not as indestructible as Cheston's Blade/Chaos build so I do sorta have to be careful about not pulling too many things - I miss having Leeching Frenzy + Undying Augment proccing on my builder. What ratio of HP/Attack/Heal talismans do you use?

Also, I have a full set of corrupted SD cards which I will sell for a very reasonable price.

What's a very reasonable price? I am interested, although I suspect I don't want to pay what they're worth.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

guppy posted:

What's a very reasonable price? I am interested, although I suspect I don't want to pay what they're worth.

I need to become the 1% again :(

**Oh, you can get all of them for like 500k, that is very reasonable!

Cheston fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 12, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
500k pax? I would definitely do that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cheston posted:

I need to become the 1% again :(

**Oh, you can get all of them for like 500k, that is very reasonable!

I sell mine for 50K right now. Prices could go lower. (I have decided to stop trying to match auction-house prices and charge at most half of the lowest current offer price.)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

HughGRect posted:

This build came about because I was honestly tired of doing filler moves and pushing that extra 1% on a fight that didn't warrant the effort.

You are spot on about this, can really just play then game instead of watching for elemental force procs.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For those times that I hate myself I find myself running Nightmares, what are the current high-performing builds? My existing AR/Shotgun build is serving me fine for Tokyo, but it doesn't seem to be pushing the numbers it used to, unless I just suck more now.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
AR/Blood is still legit for NM and raid DPs, dunno about Tokyo.

I'll post the actual build when I get home

It does rely on a zero resource exsanguinate, so your healer may hate you.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
There's a tunnel in a Tokyo mission where the floor has Filth tentacles on it (they hurt) and there are a half-dozen mobs that respawn almost as fast as I can kill them. So I'm thinking about a build where my standard fighting technique isn't "walk backwards and shoot at them".

The lovely part is that it takes a long time in Fusang to get enough black marks of Venice to get purple weapons. :smithicide:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I am so over this goddamn hyper infected citizen. I have yet to see anything fall off that bridge.

[*Raetos|Game Master]: Greetings EvilBillMurray! Do you have a moment to speak about your petition? You may reply by using /tell or by clicking my name in the chat window. Before replying, please move to a safe location away from enemies, as GMs cannot guarantee your safety.

[*Raetos|Game Master]: Unfortunately we cannot give out such information since we cannot give out spoilers or game mechanics, I apologize for the inconvenience. I will test it out to make sure it is working properly but last time we checked it was working as intended.

[*Raetos|Game Master]: Alright I was able to get it to work properly, you are still missing a couple of things that need to happen before you will be able to get it. I suggest going on the forums and checking for information from other players that have already gotten and what they did.

Only thing I can find on the forums is "Run under the bridge and things falls"

Len fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 12, 2014

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I just picked this up recently, and is there any point where I'll stop feeling like I'm trying to kill monsters with nerf darts? I've been doing an elemental/pistol thing so far, and it just feels like everything takes ages to die. Is the game just balanced that way, where everything is a bit of a damage sponge? I'm up to the Blue Mountain zone and using mostly QL7 stuff and while I am getting through missions okay, combat feels like a chore. And if I accidentally pull an extra monster or two I'm really likely to die or barely make it out with a sliver of HP.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

I just picked this up recently, and is there any point where I'll stop feeling like I'm trying to kill monsters with nerf darts? I've been doing an elemental/pistol thing so far, and it just feels like everything takes ages to die. Is the game just balanced that way, where everything is a bit of a damage sponge? I'm up to the Blue Mountain zone and using mostly QL7 stuff and while I am getting through missions okay, combat feels like a chore. And if I accidentally pull an extra monster or two I'm really likely to die or barely make it out with a sliver of HP.

Seems to just be how the game is. Solomon Island has those loving bug frog things as well which seem to take ages to put down

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BobTheJanitor posted:

This is likely to do with your build. Post it and we'll tell you.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

BigDes posted:

Seems to just be how the game is. Solomon Island has those loving bug frog things as well which seem to take ages to put down

Yeah, the ak-ab or however it's written. That's the worst example I can think of. I guess if the game is just designed around long HP bars, I can deal with it. It's not exactly my favorite thing, but the lore and characters still make the world pretty fun to play around in. Even if the mechanics are kind of janky.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

prefect posted:

There's a tunnel in a Tokyo mission where the floor has Filth tentacles on it (they hurt) and there are a half-dozen mobs that respawn almost as fast as I can kill them. So I'm thinking about a build where my standard fighting technique isn't "walk backwards and shoot at them".

You're forgetting about something in that mission.

Solution: Use the portal gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cheston posted:

You're forgetting about something in that mission.

Solution: Use the portal gun.

:cripes:

I'm an idiot.

Thanks so much. :tipshat:

• Locked thread