Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Relics are just special objects and therefore function like hindering terrain for movement/LoF. Collectible tokens are just special things Collector places and barring clarification I doubt they'd have any affect on the type of terrain into which they're placed. His Trait has a lot of potential but it seems like it'd be hard as balls to pull off in a standard timed match, and by the time you had all the tokens the majority or the opposing force would already be dead.

Speaking of the Collector I was lucky enough to happen across some MM boosters and pulled two of him and two Rhomann Dey if anybody needs either and has Drax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterNoLegs
Mar 29, 2010

The Grammar Aryan posted:

I feel this team has a better shot- Banshee's a great secondary ranged attacker, and will do wonders with ignoring elevation on the Qward side of the map. He'll also be really handy in being able to do significant damage to pieces with damage reducers and Quintessence, since he'll dump Impervious, Invincible, and Invulnerable to Toughness, then get bonus damage on top of that. The opponent will either have to deal with Banshee or your other pieces, or try to deal with Fantomex. Hard choices to make, either way.

And you were quite right, thanks for the advice. Went with this (Fantomex, Banshee, Destiny, Damaged Warbot), and I just slayed. It helped that my booster was absolutely perfect to go along with it. Ended up running Sister Sercy, Hal Jordan (Blue), Blue Recruit, and Arisia along with them. Arisia and Sercy would just TK yo-yo Banshee around, and all that blue perplex/prob combined with Destiny lurking around and it was a bloodbath. Forgot about Damaged Warbot in my starting every game though. Every single game my opponent was terrified of Fantomex and would try to go for him first in various ways, but while they went for him they would just get Banshee'ed to death.

Got Arkillo of course. We had 2 packs left over again, and did the same thing where we opened them and did a snaking draft from last to first, so I ended up getting x2 Sinestro Recruits and Romat-Ru from that. Traded my double Brother Warth for a Weaponer, and with that it was a very nice night.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Glad my advice panned out! Lately my team building mentality has been to avoid running teams with a single point of failure unless I can guarantee swinging the action economy of the match in my favor- something that Arkillo excels at by effectively giving a Sinestro Corps team Colossal Stamina. A Weaponer who can swing forever and stabilize his health with Steal Energy is a terrifying thing to behold.

It also seems like the WoL format favors high aggression. With so many ways for pieces to get into the fight on Turn 2, you're almost never going to come out on top if you play a cautious approach.

Played in a WoL2 event over the weekend and put together a Sinestro Corps team of Mongul, Romat Ru, and Kryb. Kryb was a ton of fun! In two rounds, my opponents completely ignored her when I put her in an out of the way corner, and focused on Mongul, who handily tanked all attacks coming his way. Then out comes Kryb, kidnapping Blue and Lost Lanterns all over the place. Being able to pull support pieces out of position really threw my opponents off balance, forcing them to either give the piece up or split off. I wound up going 1-2 because die rolls, but it was a close match on my losses, and I still managed to net an Arkillo from Fellowship.

Sinestro Corps is fast becoming my favorite team from the series.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
If I roll a critical miss for the first attack in flurry does that end my action? My opponent told me that I couldn't take a second swing after a critical miss, but I can't find anything in the 2014 Core Rules that confirms that.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Seymour Butts posted:

If I roll a critical miss for the first attack in flurry does that end my action? My opponent told me that I couldn't take a second swing after a critical miss, but I can't find anything in the 2014 Core Rules that confirms that.

You only can't make the second attack if you lose the power before the second attack is made.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Eckertmania posted:

You only can't make the second attack if you lose the power before the second attack is made.

Actually, I think they changed it so that even if you lose Flurry through Mystics or a Crit Miss, you still make the second attack.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Volfogg posted:

Actually, I think they changed it so that even if you lose Flurry through Mystics or a Crit Miss, you still make the second attack.
Yeah, they did. You get the second attack even if you lose Flurry on the first one.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The same applies to pretty much any power, as well, though Flurry and Hypersonic are the two you'll see come up most often.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Volfogg posted:

Wait, seriously? Ok, what's the rules change that allows this, because I know I'm going to have to explain it to my local players.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Eckertmania posted:

Wait, seriously? Ok, what's the rules change that allows this, because I know I'm going to have to explain it to my local players.

It's actually specific to Flurry and HSS as far as I can remember. Check the 2014 (or even 2013) PAC and you'll notice that Flurry and HSS lost the clauses that told you they end immediately if they're lost. Now Flurry/Steal Energy isn't a typically-stupid combo anymore.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It sounds like the next set after Flash is gonna be Trinity War: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514620

Lots of Nu52 Justice League and Crime Syndicate, brick incentive Pandoras Box/Rock of Eternity resource, pack-ins of the seven deadly sin objects that go on the resource, and one "Ultra Chase," which I guess is like the Super Sayian 3 of chases.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sanschel posted:

It sounds like the next set after Flash is gonna be Trinity War: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514620

Lots of Nu52
Did they learn nothing from teen titans

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

WizKids learns?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
What the gently caress is an Ultra-Chase

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Morand posted:

one piece per state

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

My guess is that it'll be something like one in four cases. That sounds like the just-theoretically-attainable dickery that would get whales to buy until their wallets bleed. They might go back to Crisis-level where it was only one every two cases, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they go four, especially these days.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

A nearby store is having a con in your store event, and the format is 300 modern. I've never really played a super competitive constructed event, only sealed (well, War of Light if that counts). What do you guys think of this team:

Alyosha Kraven
ASM Lizard
Speed Demon
Full power plant

Big strategy is to move Speed Demon forward with Lizard after Lizard gets the flight ring, and he can move for free due to Kraven.

I feel like map choice is something I could get much better at (part of it is I really only know maps that came out since I started playing, so since December). What map choice would you recommend? Also, if a game is modern age, do maps have to be modern age too? I assume so, but I don't actually know that for sure.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Strategy doesn't work. You've made the same mistake a ton of people do.

Vortex Ring says:

This character can use Telekinesis and the Flight ability.

The reason that fliers can carry is because the wing symbol grants both the Flight AND Carry abilities. The flight ability alone does not let you carry.

Now arguably you could just TK out speed demon THEN give lizard a free movement with Alyosha and do the same thing but I honestly don't get what you're trying to do with your team. The power plant works best with ranged attackers and you have none. You get no benefit from most of the rings. Arguably you'd be better off with the book of the skull, because you can drop 2 hammers a turn with the lion.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

In further support of the Book, give whoever you want to do the carrying Greithoth's Hammer. Giants get the Carry ability as part of the Giant Reach ability.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ManiacClown posted:

My guess is that it'll be something like one in four cases. That sounds like the just-theoretically-attainable dickery that would get whales to buy until their wallets bleed. They might go back to Crisis-level where it was only one every two cases, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they go four, especially these days.
HeroClix Thread v11: One Piece Per Two Cases Would Be An Improvement

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Morand, ManiacClown, you've both given me a lot to think about. Thanks. I'll let y'all know when I have another team idea. I started playing during AvX, so I have no parts of the BotS.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Does it seem weird that we know absolutely no dials apart from the gravity feed figures for the comic gotg set to anyone else?

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Does it seem weird that we know absolutely no dials apart from the gravity feed figures for the comic gotg set to anyone else?

Yeah, Wizkids has been lazy as hell with the previews and we're a month away from the release. I can understand that they've got conventions to deal with, but they don't even have one person who can slap together figure previews?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Yeah, Wizkids has been lazy as hell with the previews and we're a month away from the release. I can understand that they've got conventions to deal with, but they don't even have one person who can slap together figure previews?

Look at you, thinking WizKids is going to release something on time.

Unlike Origins, my schedule for Gencon is mostly late afternoons, so I might actually get to play some Clix, if I'm not just dead from judging Magic.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Brownhat posted:

Look at you, thinking WizKids is going to release something on time.

The release schedule for the full set in August makes sense to coincide with the film, but the GF set comes out in July, when we're only seeing commercials. If I hadn't kept up with the set release on HCrealms or here, I never would've thought to look for it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's just weird, I've been assuming it's going to be slightly delayed since it was announced but now I'm wondering if there's some sort of "boat from china carrying the entire set has capsized" kinda thing going on or something. Current theories on the Realms are that they're waiting to do one of those unboxing videos with the dude like the Deadpool set but I assume if they're doing one of those they would still do normal previews as well.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, they should have been previewing by now.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

They probably forgot they were releasing it. I only knew GOTGM was coming out this month because I saw someone here mention it. Speaking of which, I still have a spare Korath the Pursuer. I'm looking to trade it, so if anyone's looking for one hit me up.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The six weeks between when Newsarama previewed the white lanterns and when WizKids put the JL strategy dials on Facebook was the longest period of no previews for anything in years. Usually they've got previews for their side properties like LotR and YGO or the one-offs, but even Return of the King released sans previews and to no fanfare. You'd think at least the YGO OP event would warrant mention but nada. Some are suggesting that WizKids is developing their own forums, hence the Deputy exodus, domain name switch for the rules email, and overall radio silence.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Sanschel posted:

The six weeks between when Newsarama previewed the white lanterns and when WizKids put the JL strategy dials on Facebook was the longest period of no previews for anything in years. Usually they've got previews for their side properties like LotR and YGO or the one-offs, but even Return of the King released sans previews and to no fanfare. You'd think at least the YGO OP event would warrant mention but nada. Some are suggesting that WizKids is developing their own forums, hence the Deputy exodus, domain name switch for the rules email, and overall radio silence.

I just theorized that over on HCR tonight. Watch. They'll have a forum up within 6 months. It might be well-functioning by that time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That's not a bad thing -- sending people to a website they don't control as the de facto official forums and to get official game rulings is actually sorta terribly unprofessional -- but they shouldn't be going radio silent in the mean time.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
How big is Wizkids? They seem to have a very small staff. The president/vice-president seem to deal with a lot of things personally, which gives me the sense that they are essentially a super small team for what they do.

They are also working on some big events and have Gencon around the corner, so I imagine that has something to do with the preview delay.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

ShowTime posted:

How big is Wizkids? They seem to have a very small staff. The president/vice-president seem to deal with a lot of things personally, which gives me the sense that they are essentially a super small team for what they do.

They are also working on some big events and have Gencon around the corner, so I imagine that has something to do with the preview delay.

I've seen it mentioned by numerous people that they've got under a dozen full time employees.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Sanschel posted:

I've seen it mentioned by numerous people that they've got under a dozen full time employees.

Yeah for the relative size/popularity of this game, the people who work on it are on a first name basis with a lot of the old-timers

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Had my second WOL Month 2 today and pulled my second chase in as many events.

Event was 1 WOL and one booster of your choice. I originally chose Iron Man but after pulling jack poo poo I mulligan'd for a Batman Booster.

Ended up playing

Blue Lantern Ganthet
Sister Sercy
Green Lantern Recruit
Nightwing being possessed by Parallax

This team ended up being loving deadly.

Round 1 had the bye.

Round 2 vs

Northstar
Mongul
Unicorn
Thunderball at 75 with ATA
Green Lantern Ring

I won map roll and chose the qward side of the map. Opponent moved his whole team up and I did a perplex and TK to hit unicorn for a bunch with Ganthets special incap. That slowed his team down a ton and he came at me with Northstar and Thunderball. Northstar failed to break for HSS and Thunderball went down hard to Nightwing. Recruit based Mongul who failed to break and that was that. Didn't even take a click.

Round 3 vs

Kyle Parallax
Despotellis
Arisa
Blue Lantern recruit

Very tough battle here as I had to concede map and ended up on Guys Bar. Nightwing OHKO'd despotellis with a 13 av. Parallax based Nightwing thanks to TK and hit me for 5. Ganthet hit for 3 more but he then made all his shape change rolls and healed for 3 with Regen. Nightwing ran and chose to make everyone push while Arisa crit hit Ganthet 2 turns in a row despite prob protection. He KO'd my recruit and I did the same. Kyle tried to a big RS on Ganthet and missed. Both he and Arisa took one from a pulse. Kyle charged Nightwing and missed. Arisa based him as well. Kyle ate 5 from a pulse wave from Ganthet and Nightwing hit onto his last click while Arisa hit Nightwing for one more click. Ganthet pulsed for the win at this point.

First place team was a weaponer with brother Hymm. I would have liked to try my luck.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

How did the Round 2 team have the Wrecking Crew ATA on Thunderball? As far as I can tell that team doesn't meet theme.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

How did the Round 2 team have the Wrecking Crew ATA on Thunderball? As far as I can tell that team doesn't meet theme.
Yeah, good point. Just having it printed on his card doesn't mean it's not an ATA, and the rules for those changed since IIM.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Had my second month 2 WoL tonight; the best attacker I pulled was Mongul while the dude next to me pulled Ophidian and Kyle/Despotellis and four (!!) others pulled Weaponer and Sercy. Needless to say I was pretty demoralized from the get go.

Round 1 I faced Ophidian and Kylellax, winning solely because we're both idiots and forgot Kyle has Quintessence, which we didn't remember until after the tournament. It was a moot point anyway, both of my next two opponents had Weaponer TK yo-yos that completely annihilated me, I can't wait for wave 2 just so I don't have to deal with that prick for a while. Nine Arkillos given out and I didn't even score enough to equal the night's build total :(

However my spirits lifted when I got home and found a big yellow space bug waiting for me in the mail. Amazing what seeing your most desired piece sitting in your mailbox can do to improve your mood :)

ManiacClown posted:

It was a pretty huge change to how ATAs have worked for the last half a decade, it's gonna take a while for the vets to get used to it. I still try to add them to non-theme teams from time to time before somebody reminds me I can't anymore.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

It was sealed and I think we all overlooked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

We all saw it coming. The Black and White Lantern Batteries are indeed ConExes.

• Locked thread