Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

xie posted:

Apartment managers and handymen live in someone's property and don't pay for it? They're paying with their labor here, just like in those situations. They keep it occupied, safe, and clean. However it works out that labor either isn't being valued, or is coming up short of the cost of rental, but there's plenty of situations where you can trade labor for free housing.

If that house was a real rental property it would likely go for a lot more than $1200 a month. I've seen realtors put up houses for rent around where I live for close to $3000 a month, in the midwest. I wonder if they'd lower the rent if you agree to keep it spotless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

RommelMcDonald posted:

Also that $1,200.00 would probably get them a three bedroom apartment, with money left to spare, if they swallowed their pride and moved further away from Tampa.

$1200 could get you a decent three-bedroom apartment even inside Tampa proper. You wouldn't be in South Tampa, but that sounds about right if you're north of Sligh, maybe out near Temple Terrace. A quick Craigslist search showed a few reputable-looking places in the $1000-$1100 range, even. It wouldn't be on the "10th hole of an exclusive golf course" but those are the breaks.

What it won't get you is anything close to this, though, which is about what they're living in. If they're willing to put up with the terms and they really must live in that kind of home, they're not getting an awful deal.

E: They're bad with money in a "lifestyle exceeds earning power, burning cash as fast as it comes in" kind of way, but they're in no way paying full market rent on that house. They're being "compensated" for their trouble, in a way.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 11, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
The thought of having to keep things immaculate makes me shudder.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
It reminds me of the show home from Arrested Development. Minus the floor and walls falling apart, of course.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Oh, Reddit: "Youngish couple (27,25). Married. Two full time jobs. Making a combined 60K per year before taxes. $0 debt. Wife wants to join Disney Vacation Club. If we do, we could be $16,000 in debt. Current living expenses are about $1200 per month. We have lots to think about and I need help please :)"

quote:

As I mentioned above, me and my wife got married a little over a year ago. We both have full time jobs, she is an admissions recruiter for a college and I am in sales.

We are both starting out in the world and we have been fortunate to not accumulate any debt so far.

My wife is in grad school right now which is costing us about $750 a month but we are able to pay it off as it comes in thankfully.

In order to save you guys a lot of reading let me just break down some expenses for you and save you on the life story part haha.

Disney Vacation Club for the lowest buy in price is about $14-16k. After that, you will be paying about $50 per month for about 47 years.

That's all well and good, I mean it is a lot of money but we love to travel and it would be a great chance for us to see the world in the short term as well as give back to our children the memories that Disney helps to make in the long term.

We could hopefully pay it off within 4 years. But in 4 years time, we will undoubtedly have bought a house or be looking to buy one. (currently living in a family members guest house/apartment)

My car is paid off (2001 with 153k miles, worth probably 5k) and my wife's car (2003 with 180k miles, worth probably 3k) is paid off as well. (Thanks parents)

I don't drive my car to often due to my work getting my a company car so if anything were to happen to her car she could use mine.

Our monthly expenses are basically $120 for groceries, $150 for medication, $200 for power, $100 for eating out, $750 for grad school.)

I think we bring home about $3500 after taxes per month.

So 3,500 - 1,320 = $2,180

Now out of that $2,180 we would be paying Disney about $280 per month until the buy in price of $14k was paid down.

$2,180 - $280 = $1,900 per month to save for retirement or a down payment or whatever else.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? if anyone needs anymore information please let me know!!

Thank you so much!

The husband and the wife both start replying using the same account, which is weird: https://www.reddit.com/user/personalfinancethway

My favorite quote from the wife is "I am the financial grue of the family."

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Oh, she's just Asian. :downs:

Did they say where they live? I hope it's 1000+ miles from Orlando.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

That's probably correct.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Be right back, going to put my life savings into Disney stock.

I need better "bad with money" stories. Best I've got right now is a family friend who put zero down to purchase a townhouse with her boyfriend at the top of the current real estate market. She also consistently takes advantage of other people regarding shopping trips. Maybe it's bad with life, good with money.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Holy crap, it's $26K with closing costs to get that membership and then $1,100.00 per year after that. The website makes it sound like a more flexible version of a timeshare where you pick the time and destination. Timeshares, with Disney!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

RommelMcDonald posted:

Holy crap, it's $26K with closing costs to get that membership and then $1,100.00 per year after that. The website makes it sound like a more flexible version of a timeshare where you pick the time and destination. Timeshares, with Disney!

I think what I'm feeling is that thing that happens when someone thinks of a way to make a ton of money without doing any work, and they thought of it first. Jealousy?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Time to join the divorce vacation club.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
People need to learn that there are certain words that are expense multipliers for no good reasons. Wedding, Disney, timeshare, Hawaii, lease

For $26k you can probably spend half a week in every single Disney theme park across the globe. Twice that time if you stay off-property.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I'm looking on Wikipedia and it says its essentially Disneyland (Anaheim, California), Disney World (Lake Buena Vista, Florida) and 3 outside places in South Carolina, Vero Beach FL and Hawaii.

Why the gently caress does it cost $26K + $1,100/yr to do that? Am I missing something? You don't even get to goto the ones in Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I feel like Disneyworld timeshare guy is probably being generous with his takehome and conservative with his expenses to boot.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Disney husband lives in a guesthome on his family farm and does chores for rent.

Edit: staying at a Disney resort for every vacation sounds super boring. Aren't they all really manufactured and same-y because Disney has such a specific brand image? Family friendly, squeaky clean, etc. Disney has always struck me as not a "real place" (if you know what I mean) and it just seems really unappealing. Maybe ok for a one day visit.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 12, 2014

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Disney husband lives in a guesthome on his family farm and does chores for rent.

Edit: staying at a Disney resort for every vacation sounds super boring. Aren't they all really manufactured and same-y because Disney has such a specific brand image? Family friendly, squeaky clean, etc. Disney has always struck me as not a "real place" (if you know what I mean) and it just seems really unappealing. Maybe ok for a one day visit.
Disney is good for more than a one day visit. It's fun and it's so big that you cannot possibly do everything in one day. With that said, I probably won't go there more than one more time in my life. I've been twice on family trips, once when I was a little kid, and once when my nephews and niece were little kids. I might take my kids whenever my wife and I get around to making them. But I dunno, I would rather steer them toward something a little more real.

Some of the rides are really boring and obviously for small children, but some are very fun and worth riding more than once.

I absolutely do not see the appeal in going more than once a decade, and especially not every year. There are so much other great things to see and do on this planet, and while roller coasters are fun, actually seeing the real world is a lot more fun.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 12, 2014

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I can't find it now, but there was a post earlier on r/personalfinance that was like "My wife just lost her job. Should we dip into savings? Or reduce our lifestyle?"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Harry posted:

I can't find it now, but there was a post earlier on r/personalfinance that was like "My wife just lost her job. Should we dip into savings? Or reduce our lifestyle?"

Hey having savings is batting above average for this thread(perhaps by savings they meant 401k). It's funny that they would make a post to say "I know what I have to do, please tell me what I want to hear instead".

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Oh, Reddit:

That's all well and good, I mean it is a lot of money but we love to travel and it would be a great chance for us to see the world in the short term as well as give back to our children the memories that Disney helps to make in the long term.

OK, that's just messed up on a number of levels. Is this something that normal people think, or are they in some sort of Disney cult? Because when I think of Disney I don't think "happy memories", I think "five figures of debt" and "loving copyright leeches".

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

OK, that's just messed up on a number of levels. Is this something that normal people think, or are they in some sort of Disney cult? Because when I think of Disney I don't think "happy memories", I think "five figures of debt" and "loving copyright leeches".

Most people think of Disney as the company that made those movies they grew up watching and their kids love.
I went to Disney land almost 30 years ago and there are parts of the trip I can still remember really well, I'm not saying I'd go 16k into debt to go visit, but I certainly see why people want to go.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If you want to know approximately how long a copyright lasts, just look at the age of Mickey Mouse. Disney ain't letting that golden goose free.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Weatherman posted:

Is this something that normal people think, or are they in some sort of Disney cult?

Buddy of mine just proposed to his fiance in Magic Kingdom because his fiance is obsessed with Disney. She goes to Disney world two-three times every year. And she's like 30 years old, there are no children/neices/nephews the go, it's just her and other adult friends.

I mean, I've only been to Disney World once and I was 25 at the time, and I'll definitely go back later when I have kids of my own but I can't fathom going as an adult trip--let alone twice a year every year. Go to Vegas or hit up Europe or some poo poo to shake things up christ

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Not a Children posted:

If you want to know approximately how long a copyright lasts, just look at the age of Mickey Mouse. Disney ain't letting that golden goose free.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Since we're on the subject of Disney chat. My cousin is blowing her inheritance by getting married at Disney, and then going on a European honeymoon.

She is a secretary for a company known for massive layoffs and her husband is unemployed and in firefighter school.

By my reckoning this wedding is going to cost nearly 2 years combined salary. They could have had a really nice amount put away for a house and a decent start on retirement savings.

The kicker: Both of them still live at home, and have never lived on their own.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

fruition posted:

Buddy of mine just proposed to his fiance in Magic Kingdom because his fiance is obsessed with Disney. She goes to Disney world two-three times every year. And she's like 30 years old, there are no children/neices/nephews the go, it's just her and other adult friends.

I mean, I've only been to Disney World once and I was 25 at the time, and I'll definitely go back later when I have kids of my own but I can't fathom going as an adult trip--let alone twice a year every year. Go to Vegas or hit up Europe or some poo poo to shake things up christ

Same here. Another friend of mine who is otherwise reasonably well traveled goes to Disney World like twice a year with her family, and now sometimes 3 times because she also runs the marathon races there too. I've been to Epcot twice since I was 13 but didn't think it was so amazing or anything.

I asked he about this last week and how it could possibly be all that entertaining; it turns out they're not even franchise fanatics and they only started going within the last 10 years. She just said it was more because everyone is so nice there. It was"like seeing the best side of humanity the whole time you're there".

:what:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

fruition posted:

Jesus, the only thing I remember about Disney world was Blizzard Beach having water sprinklers keeping the cement cool, and the castle was dressed like a cake the year I went. I went when I was 13, so maybe I was passed the whole "magic" phase of life. I can't even imagine going there as an adult. I just remember a lot of mediocre rides, space mountain being a loving joke, and a ton of tiny stores trying to sell you cheap poo poo made in china, just like every other amusement park.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Since we're on the subject of Disney chat. My cousin is blowing her inheritance by getting married at Disney, and then going on a European honeymoon.

She is a secretary for a company known for massive layoffs and her husband is unemployed and in firefighter school.

By my reckoning this wedding is going to cost nearly 2 years combined salary. They could have had a really nice amount put away for a house and a decent start on retirement savings.

The kicker: Both of them still live at home, and have never lived on their own.

:lol:

Sounds like they need their own tread.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Good(for them, bad for our entertainment) news: They decided against it. For now.

Of course, you have to wonder what harebrained idea the wife will have next, considering she thought going 16k in debt to have Disney vacations was a good idea. Hopefully this was just them buying into the Disney glamour, since their finances are okay otherwise.

But reddit continues to deliver, because it's full of people allergic to having an emergency fund in a regular old savings account:

quote:

Basically, I have cancelled all my credit cards - All I have now is an AMEX green card. These are different since you MUST pay them off at the end of each month. Since you cannot carry a balance on it, there is no interest to pay.

All of my extra cash at the moment is going into an investment account and I use that to purchase ETFs. The ETFs usually have a hold requirement of about 30 days until you can sell without penalty. Aside from that, the cash is pretty liquid and can be pulled out within about 3-5 days if needed. This account has more than 6 months of living expenses in it currently.

Solution: my AMEX green card has no limit. I charge the emergency to it and pay it off when I can move the funds around. Added bonus: 1% Rewards. Any seriously huge payment would need to be cleared with them, but that's only a 5 minute call and they are generally very pleasant to work with. [Note: I know there are better reward cards, but this has no limit or fee and has a flat 1% Reward rate across the board - about as no-nonsense as it gets.]

I know there is always the wildcard of weather or not the vendor I will need to pay accepts AMEX or not, but I feel that anything I would deem an emergency [Insurance deductible, Hospital bill, Flight home...] will have no problem taking AMEX. From my research & experience, this is generally the case. I know many debt payments won't take credit, but I don't view any debt as an "emergency" -- I know you can't usually pay bail with an AMEX, though I figure whatever ridiculous situation that would require me to pay bail could allow for a few days to get the money... I mean, it's jail. No one's going anywhere. Haha...

Seriously, though, I feel like this is a happy medium between having your money work for you and being ready should the situation require it.
If something does occur, I can simply pay it with my AMEX & move the money around in my investment account in order to pay the bill. Since I have the billing cycle as lead time, I feel like this gives me plenty of time to move the money around penalty-free. This goes without saying, most of the ETFs I have bought are already past their hold requirement, so they are pretty liquid.
I also really don't use this card outside of normal usage [Though, I try to funnel as many purchases through it as possible to get the rewards.] So I am not worried about overspending. I am pretty disciplined already.

I know the idea of a credit card as an emergency fund sends shivers down most PF readers' spines, but I don't feel this is the same and I cannot really see much of a downside to outweigh the gains I will be making on the money...

I would appreciate comments or feedback!

poo poo like this pops up on r/personalfinance constantly. They can't have a few thousand bucks in a stable account, then they're not making mad gains! No, they have to make complicated systems for e-funds so they can squeeze another few percents of returns out of their money.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 12, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

What will definitely not happen, because there is certainly no correlation or recent historical precedent, is that I lose my job in the midst of an economic downturn. All my brilliantly invested e-fund money would never be down 20% in a situation like that! You know how the old saying goes: "when it rains, it never pours"... wait, no, that's not quite it...

People are dumb.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

It's pretty common in Southern California for people to have Year Passes and go for like a couple of hours or over the weekend. There is also a shopping complex near it called Downtown Disney that doesn't require you to pay for admission.

But $25K for that weird Disney Timeshare thing sounds insane.

Folly
May 26, 2010

nickutz posted:

If that house was a real rental property it would likely go for a lot more than $1200 a month. I've seen realtors put up houses for rent around where I live for close to $3000 a month, in the midwest. I wonder if they'd lower the rent if you agree to keep it spotless.

If anything, the increased value of the home should increase the pay to the house sitter. Think of it like this: Somebody wants to sell a luxury car. He wants you, a driver with a perfect driving record, to drive it around town so it can be seen, and your driving record actually makes it cheaper for him to insure. At a moment's notice, you may have to park the car so someone can look at buying it. You will have to wash the car every day, and keep it looking like it was just detailed. You will have to wear an expensive suit everyday you drive it, which you will provide yourself. You will also pay for gas, but you can put unlimited miles on the car. Someone may offer to buy the car, at which point you have 30 days to find your own ride. For this service, he is willing to charge what your payments would be on an economy car (about $200 a month) instead of the payments you'd make on this luxury car (about $400 a month). But you won't actually acquire any equity in the car. Sound fair?

I've talked about creepy Disney cult members before. I get taking the trip. I get taking it as an adult without kids. I can even understand doing it as your vacation every year. But some people just go nuts. Right now, the Disney Guy at my office has 2 countdown timers on the whiteboard - both several months away. I think he's taking a Disney cruise and a trip to the park. This is not necessarily bad. But he talks about it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. He talks about the meal plan meals. He talks about the attractions. He talks about the queuing system He talks about how he's saving money on the meal plan. He talks about his favorite rides. He talks about changing his meal plan. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. It really creeps me out.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All I remember is the rich girl in 2nd grade getting surprised every other month by her parents who would put Mickey ears on her and announce "you're going to Disney World!" while the rest of us were left to feel like dogshit

I liked Universal Studios better :colbert:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
All I can think of when Disney obsessed adults come up is the E/N theme that all crazy girlfriends watch Disney movies obsessively. I can't help but assume someone is broken inside if they have to hold on to that childhood memory for so long

To contribute, when I worked sub-prime finance I worked with one especially talented salesman. Which means he was a total rear end in a top hat. One of his employees financed through our program and, being an idiot, he trusted the salesman to get him a good deal. He ended up with ridiculous poo poo like $500 for freight charges when it was only a single store (meaning, he's paying them to push the motorcycle out to the front of the lot), $400 for paperwork with the DMV, etc. Just royally getting hosed over from the mentality that the salesperson is a friend, and would never pad the bill to line their own pockets.

The motorcycle wasn't powerful enough for him, so before his first payment hits he turns around and trades it for another one. The negative equity is rolled into the new deal and the dealer tacks on the same charges. We ended up calling the salesman to get some piece of paperwork we needed to fund the deal, and he was drunk at a bar and laughing about how he accidentally raised the priced by $1,500.

If a corporation is a human being then the sales department is the part of the brain that's constantly trying to get laid, and will say or do anything to make it happen. I just don't understand how people trust a salesperson to not gently caress them.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

My only lasting memory of Disney World is seeing 10 and 11 year olds being pushed around in strollers.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

otter space posted:

My only lasting memory of Disney World is seeing 10 and 11 year olds being pushed around in strollers.

Have you gone lately? Last time I went, the Rascal Scooter Army and its weekend auxiliary were out in force, too.

KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.

otter space posted:

I was tired, rear end in a top hat.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Folly posted:

I've talked about creepy Disney cult members before. I get taking the trip. I get taking it as an adult without kids. I can even understand doing it as your vacation every year. But some people just go nuts. Right now, the Disney Guy at my office has 2 countdown timers on the whiteboard - both several months away. I think he's taking a Disney cruise and a trip to the park. This is not necessarily bad. But he talks about it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. He talks about the meal plan meals. He talks about the attractions. He talks about the queuing system He talks about how he's saving money on the meal plan. He talks about his favorite rides. He talks about changing his meal plan. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. It really creeps me out.

I am taking a Disney vacation. I am taking a vacation because I am tired of living my own life, so in order to escape that, I am temporarily abdicating my own agency. But it's okay, because this is balanced out by the fact that the entire world to which I will be exposed ("interact" is too strong a word) is similarly constrained.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Reddit delivers as always. Income $160k. I feel like I'm hardly making it in Los Angeles and living one paycheck at a time.

quote:

"Student loans $206k (pay as you earn) currently paying $200/mo. Banking on loan forgiveness down the line."
"Car 1 Lease $580/mo, Car 2 Own paid off recently."
"The leak is most likely from vacations. I just spent $2800 for one coming up. Went to Las Vegas $$, and a few trips up north."

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Ah you missed this one, a 28 year old with a "unique situation" - which you learn is actually code for "I can't stop spending and rationalize everything!"

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2anjxi/28f_unique_situation_need_budgetingdebt_advice/

She wants to withdraw all of her retirement savings to pay off her consumer debt! No, don't ask about the $2k+ of unallocated income each month, she's got a unique situation!

quote:

Debts:
$2,206 - Visa (this is how I pay for gas, groceries, everything and then pay off in full every month from checking so this reflect the last statement + current spending)
$1,800 - rent to current roommate (moving out sooner but committed through October)
$1,143 - Discover transfer A (0% through 8/2014)
$2,575 - Discover transfer B (0% through 12/2014)
$7,014 - Mastercard (0% through 2/2015)
$5,510 - Discover transfer C (0% through 4/2015)
$8,478 - grad school student loan A
$7,999 - grad school student loan B
$1,943 - grad school student loan C
$21,857 - Wells Fargo car loan
$4,400 - personal loan, no set timeline. SO has offered to cover so it's off my back (strained relationship with Dad), but I want to try to do it on my own.

quote:

I'm pretty financially savvy (despite my debt situation), cut costs where I can and have used Mint.com since June 2010, but I just don't see how I can try to live "bare bones" like so many posters suggest in order to get ahead.

Financially savvy, too special to live "bare bones" and not spend $2k a month on shopping & vacations.

quote:

I do want to be debt-free, and don't need to focus on traditional expenses, savings/emergency fund or long-term retirement like most,

Why would that be?

quote:

I'm 28f and my SO is MUCH better off financially than me. I've made it my goal to be debt free if/when we decide to get married (we've discussed 2016, so ~24ish months).

No flaws in this financially savvy plan!

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

That dude is going to have a rude awakening next year when he had to send in his tax info because his PAYE payment is going to be baaaad. And if he marries his girlfriend and files jointly with her? Yeah.

Also, the fact that he encouraged his girlfriend to take out personal loans to pay for expenses when she was unemployed? What an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I dont even think he is in a profession where loan forgiveness is a real thing as well.

• Locked thread