Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

I just want an actual full fledged new Mario game. 3D World doesn't loving count.

Are you insane? 3D World is pure distilled Mario. What do you want, running around collecting poo poo while spraying poo poo down with a stupid watergun or some other pointless gimmick? There's a reason 3D collectatons went away, they weren't that fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Starhawk64 posted:

Are you insane? 3D World is pure distilled Mario. What do you want, running around collecting poo poo while spraying poo poo down with a stupid watergun or some other pointless gimmick? There's a reason 3D collectatons went away, they weren't that fun.

It's on the same level as the NSMB games, only it's actually good. It's no Galaxy, and no successor to the Galaxy throne.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Steve2911 posted:

It's on the same level as the NSMB games, only it's actually good. It's no Galaxy, and no successor to the Galaxy throne.

No way is it on the same level as a NSMB game, that's what NSMBU is. The Mario 3D games are intended to bridge the gap between sidescrolling and 3d platforming Mario games, and they do that beautifully.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

I really didnt like Galaxy personally, the whole pointing at the star things process was a lot of pointless busywork and it made you feel like you were missing out if you tried to ignore it, and I hated the weird inconsistent gravity where sometimes you'd float to a surface and other times, you'd just fall off the stage.

3D Land and World were the best Mario games since 64, just give em another try.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

and no successor to the Galaxy throne.
Yeah, beginning to think the Galaxy games are becoming overrated.

Like, they were really decently made games that bought new ideas and concepts to the table, but holy poo poo some people on the internet take it to almost cult levels of adoration.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
I cant believe what Im reading here

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Quidnose posted:

Edwardbrooking??????

I don't know what that is.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah 3D world could've used a lot more flying around slowly as a bee and pointing at pull stars to be truly great, not to mention constant spin-shaking

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kewpuh posted:

I cant believe what Im reading here

I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Electromax posted:

Yeah 3D world could've used a lot more flying around slowly as a bee and pointing at pull stars to be truly great, not to mention constant spin-shaking

Bingo.

Galaxy could really benefit from a Wii U rerelease where the controls are buttons only - no motion, no pointing, and pull stars or whatever could just be moved around with the right stick. The only flaw in 3D World were the shoehorned set pieces where you had to touch them on the Gamepad and that was like maybe three levels.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Galaxy is fine, point/motion controls and all, even if they weren't really necessary. But 3D World is the best 3D Mario game. Sorry some of you have to find out like this.

Also, any part of 3D World where you had to "blow" on the mic, you could just talk kinda loud and you got the same results unless you hold the Gamepad like 20 yards away from you or have the voice of Laverne Hooks from Police Academy.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

3D World is great, really feels like SMW without being "New" Super Mario World.

I generally feel like the Wii U first and second party games are HD Super Nintendo games in the best way I can say that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

3D Land and World are essentially a new type of entry in the series that take elements from both others and it works really well. Variety is good though. I personally hope there continue to be 3 types of Mario platformers.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So I'm trying to decide between buying Child of Light or Shovel Knight. What does the thread suggest is the best bang for my buck?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So I'm trying to decide between buying Child of Light or Shovel Knight. What does the thread suggest is the best bang for my buck?

Shovel Knight SHOVEL KNIGHT SHOVEL KNIGHT

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Gotta get that Shove-Kneezy

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'll give you a hint: It involves shovels.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I don't want another Paper Mario, I want another Super Mario RPG.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I liked Child of Light up until like 3 hours in and then I got pretty bored.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crawfish posted:

but holy poo poo some people on the internet take it to almost cult levels of adoration.

This is every Nintendo thing ever.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Then Shovel Knight it is.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Shyfted One posted:

I don't want another Paper Mario, I want another Super Mario RPG.

But that is exactly what Paper Mario is?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I want a Mario & Luigi on Wii U, I wanna see that art style in HD!!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Well I want a Wario & Waluigi RPG. :colbert:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Fix posted:

tl;dr: One Piece - It's ok.

How much of this game am I not going to understand if I've only read up to around where Brook is introduced?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Suaimhneas posted:

How much of this game am I not going to understand if I've only read up to around where Brook is introduced?

I'd suggest you try to catch up, if only because you'll be confused as there was a timeskip and some major events prior to that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Taint Reaper posted:

This might not happen because Atlus now is in control of Skies of Arcadia. They'll wind up making a sequel.

:gizz:

Starhawk64 posted:

I liked them :negative:. I actually like Super Mario Galaxy over Galaxy 2 because of the change towards the old Overmap/stage layout in the sequel.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Suaimhneas posted:

If you've read up to Thriller Bark, then I believe the game is focused mostly after that (the Dressrosa Colosseum is featured, right?). However, you should be familiar with all the characters not made for the game's arc, and since the game has its own arc anyway I don't think it's necessary to have read everything. The Giant Bomb guys seemed to have fun with it despite not knowing anything about the series at all.

Then Shovel Knight it is.

You have made the correct choice, because Shovel Knight is awesome. Have not heard much about Child of Light though, what do people think of it?

Edit:

Regy Rusty posted:

3D Land and World are essentially a new type of entry in the series that take elements from both others and it works really well. Variety is good though. I personally hope there continue to be 3 types of Mario platformers.

This person has good opinions. It's great that Nintendo does different flavors of games with their series - even though Galaxy, 3D World and Sunshine are all platformers they're all different, and the same goes for Majoria's Mask, Wind Waker, Four Swords and Return to Dreamland, Crystal Shards, Canvas Curse, and etc. I don't know if that's something people recognize if they don't play the games.

I'd love to see a Galaxy 3 or similar for the Wii U, but that shouldn't stop Nintendo from making games like Super 3D World.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 12, 2014

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Wii mote with Nunchuck is the single greatest most intuitive and fun game controller of all time. Waggle to make Mario spin feels like sun setting on an autumn day, pointing at stuff on the screen rather than touching a literal screen with your greasy fingertip or pen, is easier and less distracting.

Thank god some of you aren't designers, and I'm dying for Super Mario Galaxy 3 over here.

So stop dissing those things, bastards.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

CatsPajamas posted:

You have made the correct choice, because Shovel Knight is awesome. Have not heard much about Child of Light though, what do people think of it?
I think it's the best JRPG style game in years. Normal mode is way too easy but Hard is fun and has pretty challenging bosses. It uses a Grandia-like battle system where interrupting enemy attacks by properly timing yours is essential and it cuts out all the crap parts of JRPGs. There's no grinding, minimal backtracking, and the story's unique among RPGs in spite of being a very simple fairy tale type of thing. Music's great, art's great, and it's exactly as long as it needs to be (around 7ish hours).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

Wii mote with Nunchuck is the single greatest most intuitive and fun game controller of all time. Waggle to make Mario spin feels like sun setting on an autumn day, pointing at stuff on the screen rather than touching a literal screen with your greasy fingertip or pen, is easier and less distracting.

Thank god some of you aren't designers, and I'm dying for Super Mario Galaxy 3 over here.

So stop dissing those things, bastards.
It's almost as bad as choosing not to buy Mario 3D World because "the cat suit is cheating"

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's almost as bad as choosing not to buy Mario 3D World because "the cat suit is cheating"

I did buy that game and I still can't get into it, cats? And what's with gold flagpoles? So now the single most visible thing on the world map is whether or not I jumped to the top of a flagpole at the end of a level? That is some accomplishment. :geno:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
They've been on a pretty clear trajectory to 3D Land/World after Sunshine sold like poo poo. (For a Mario game) Mario Galaxy isn't exactly this big expansive open world game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

I did buy that game and I still can't get into it, cats? And what's with gold flagpoles? So now the single most visible thing on the world map is whether or not I jumped to the top of a flagpole at the end of a level? That is some accomplishment. :geno:
Is this your Andy Rooney impression

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Surlaw posted:

It uses a Grandia-like battle system where interrupting enemy attacks by properly timing yours is essential

See this sounds like fun, but I keep seeing people say that later bosses just punish you if you actually try to do that to them?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Was Andy Rooney a genius?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Suaimhneas posted:

See this sounds like fun, but I keep seeing people say that later bosses just punish you if you actually try to do that to them?

Some bosses have different counters based on what's happening in their gauge and they require a different strategy. It's a good thing! Each boss is a decent puzzle.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Moriatti posted:

But that is exactly what Paper Mario is?

Paper Mario does not play like Super Mario RPG

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nolgthorn posted:

You also get a sparkly green star on the map screen if you collected all 3 of the stars in the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It feels like an evolution of the concept though.

• Locked thread