Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

This wasn't the discussion subject. The question that gave rise to this discussion was whether intelligence squared was a worthwhile debate platform. Hitchens being on their debates (let alone Fry) is a good sign that it isn't. We already know your position on Catholicism, you've made it abundantly clear, you're not adding anything by repeating it several times.

Now now, there's no need to go browbeating him about it, that never persuaded anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

paragon1 posted:

Maybe someone with a doctorate? Possibly history or some kind of social science?

Well, despite Hitchens being pretty opinionated he was also a somewhat accomplished and prolific writer, and Fry has been moonlighting from his comedian/actor/director stuff as a political activist for years. They actually did quite a good job of arguing a kind of touchy position I would have guessed untenable.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

Maybe someone with a doctorate? Possibly history or some kind of social science?
Most academics with a background in the Catholic Church are probably going to be reliant on good relations with said church in order to continue having access. Which makes taking a public position of "the Church has done more bad than good" bad for their career.

So, when I ask "who," I'm asking you to actually name some names. Saying "someone with an academic background" is like polling "generic Republican" or "generic Democrat" against an actual candidate; the hypothetical is almost always going to outperform real human beings.

On a separate note, is there a "euthanasia" or "death with dignity" thread? Or would that be better-covered by the healthcare thread?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 12, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
To the extent that the debate forum frames the issue as it did, and to the extent that they used Fry or Hitchens, who are demagogues, IQ2 is not a good debate platform.

Thanatosian posted:

Most academics with a background in the Catholic Church are probably going to be reliant on good relations with said church in order to continue having access. Which makes taking a public position of "the Church has done more bad than good" bad for their career.
So people knowledgeable or qualified on the subject are automatically invalidated. Nice framing.

Thanatosian posted:

So, when I ask "who," I'm asking you to actually name some names. Saying "someone with an academic background" is like polling "generic Republican" or "generic Democrat" against an actual candidate; the hypothetical is almost always going to outperform real human beings.

That's because virtually anyone with experience in the subject area would be a better choice than Hitchens or Fry. Pick anyone with a degree in comparative religion or ethics- oh wait, you've already decided they're all biased. I guess we're left with a popular comedic actor and a member of the four horsemen. A capacity for pithiness and snark, which is all either of these men are skilled with, does not translate to meaningful debate credentials.

Again, all of this is largely made irrelevant by the worthless debate topic. It's just something for militants on both sides of the issue to jerk off over. It was a debate designed to draw an audience, not to inform or produce reflection. Participants don't demonstrate knowledge of nuance on the issue, because it's designed to obscure, rather than elicit, that outcome.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 12, 2014

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I don't want to further derail the anti-vac thread but look how competent the CDC is with their deadly pathogens. I don't see any reason not to trust THESE guys with the last living Variola samples, no siree!

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't want to further derail the anti-vac thread but look how competent the CDC is with their deadly pathogens. I don't see any reason not to trust THESE guys with the last living Variola samples, no siree!

They recently found smallpox vials in a storage locker just outside of DC, too.

VV yeah, I love the CDC and am super thankful for all their hard work.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 12, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Even with the disclosures, for volume of work done I believe they have a better safety record than any other group in the world- and they're actually disclosing the exposures, which is sadly not as common in other national research entities.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

tentative8e8op posted:

They recently found smallpox vials in a storage locker just outside of DC, too.

"Found"? How the gently caress does that get lost?

"Guys, I mislaid some samples of one of the deadliest diseases known to man. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll turn up!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

razorrozar posted:

"Guys, I mislaid some samples of one of the deadliest diseases known to man. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll turn up!"

From the Washington Post article, which is quite good and contains the official CDC report as well:

Washington Post posted:

...the vials included a date — Feb. 10, 1954 — after smallpox had disappeared from the United States but decades before it had been eradicated worldwide. “Whoever created these vials didn’t do so out of malice,” Frieden said.

It remains unclear how the smallpox samples ended up in a lab that the Food and Drug Administration had operated on the NIH campus since 1972. On July 1, a scientist preparing for the lab’s move to the main FDA campus in White Oak, Md., found the smallpox samples in a third-floor cold-storage room kept at about 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Their provenance isn't known, but it looks like they were from before modern viral control regimes existed. To set things in perspective in terms of how they were lost, I'd suggest looking up the NIH Bethesda campus on google maps-it's probably the largest research structure on the planet. According to the clinical center website (which is just one of their buildings), they are generally operating about 1500 clinical studies simultaneously in one building. That's one of about 5 buildings on that single NIH campus in town- there are other NIH facilities in Bethesda as well. (not that anything makes an orphan set of live smallpox samples OK, ofc)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 12, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, by definition, these were smaller than the average pox, so probably harder to find.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Joementum posted:

Also, by definition, these were smaller than the average pox, so probably harder to find.

I laughed way too loving hard at this.

Thanks for the explanation, Discendo. It's not quite the scenario I envisioned, to say the least.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I hope people never start actually reading the stuff that gets linked here because I don't want Discendo Vox to starve. :ohdear:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i'm laughing because nobody even mentioned the fact that Ann Widdecombe was part of that debate in the argument about whether or not it's worthless or not

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Oh, jeez, passing over Widdicombe is a hell of a miss on my part, yeah. I saw Hitchens and my :siren:new atheist:siren: system went off. Well, IQsquared is officially the Jerry Springer Show of public debate.

Randler posted:

I hope people never start actually reading the stuff that gets linked here because I don't want Discendo Vox to starve. :ohdear:

At this point in the bar exam review process, death would be a sweet release. I'm almost done with the video lectures, just...eleven hours on contract law left...then I can start actually studying. If my posts here seem incessant, it's because they're my only breaks.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, jeez, passing over Widdicombe is a hell of a miss on my part, yeah. I saw Hitchens and my :siren:new atheist:siren: system went off. Well, IQsquared is officially the Jerry Springer Show of public debate.

At this point in the bar exam review process, death would be a sweet release. I'm almost done with the video lectures, just...eleven hours on contract law left...then I can start actually studying. If my posts here seem incessant, it's because they're my only breaks.

You can do it!

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I would've posted this in the MayOne thread if it hadn't been goldmined, but Brian Boyko has a history on Usenet, too.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/%22brian$20boyko%22

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Well I'll give Pinkie Potato some credit, at least he's not the only one signing posts off with his real name this time...

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

McDowell posted:

Everyone's got a gimmick

Hitchens was an atheist contrarian

Discendo Vox, well, it's right there

I'm postmodern with some nihilism

computerparts is pedantic and contrarian

the list goes on...

I thought your gimmick was relating everything to Adam Curtis.

vvv

Pope Guilty posted:

My gimmick is being a dork, nobody's allowed to steal it. Get your own.

Your gimmick is reminding me of one of my favorite novellas every time you post.

moller fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 12, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

moller posted:

I thought your gimmick was relating everything to Adam Curtis.

My gimmick is being a dork, nobody's allowed to steal it. Get your own.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't think I have a gimmick. Maybe my gimmick is not having a gimmick.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

razorrozar posted:

They were lost because they were assumed to have been destroyed, then it turned out they hadn't been destroyed.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
my gimmick is low content shitposting. also i am sincere in it. last, it is good that hitch is dead.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

One down, two to go. Dennett gets a pass, he's made meaningful contributions to the field, unlike the others.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

moller posted:

I thought your gimmick was relating everything to Adam Curtis

His work is a big part of my postmodern approach, but there's some David Lynch there, too.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I wish I had a gimmick.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

McDowell posted:

His work is a big part of my postmodern approach, but there's some David Lynch there, too.

I sort of resent Curtis because his films should be the most rambling, insane, Bob Wilson-style conspiracy theories but instead most of it seems completely plausible and well-researched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKyxGkBRro

kelvron posted:

I wish I had a gimmick.

I do, as well. :(

moller fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 12, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

kelvron posted:

I wish I had a gimmick.

Run for some county or state position.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Run for some county or state position.

I remember when Chlamydia Jones was our election expert because he ran for county coroner.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ogmius815 posted:

I remember when Chlamydia Jones was our election expert because he ran for county coroner.

That's a pretty amazing name for a coroner.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's a pretty amazing name for a coroner.

You know I can't even remember if he won? This was at least eight years ago.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Discendo Vox posted:

One down, two to go. Dennett gets a pass, he's made meaningful contributions to the field, unlike the others.

Dennett always seems oddly keen on hurting animals whenever he is explaining his views.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

moller posted:

I sort of resent Curtis because his films should be the most rambling, insane, Bob Wilson-style conspiracy theories but instead most of it seems completely plausible and well-researched.

I like finding little things elsewhere that support his work, like this Disney cartoon that fits in really well with the second part in 'Century of the Self'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYvr28-5QKw

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

kelvron posted:

I wish I had a gimmick.

Just keep posting, it'll happen eventually :getin:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

Just keep posting, it'll happen eventually :getin:

My gimmick used to be banal posts that contributed nothing to the discussion but it abandoned me :(

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

razorrozar posted:

My gimmick used to be banal posts that contributed nothing to the discussion but it abandoned me :(

Mine now. Sorry, I was better in bed.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Didn't see this posted. Anal jihad. Yum.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/07/11/Egyptian-Cleric-Muslim-Brotherhood-Sheiks-Issued-Fatwa-Permitting-Anal-Jihad

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

kelvron posted:

I wish I had a gimmick.

Just be yourself. :D

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The aim of a true gimmick poster is to have no gimmick.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Gimmicks are so Web 1.0, now it's about brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I believe in brand personhood.

• Locked thread