Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

size1one posted:

Sure there are kinks to work out but I bought pot. In a store. :fsmug:

This was pretty much how I felt walking out of there. Was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Hahahaha :wow:

Well, this was never about actually outcompeting the black market. It was about reducing arrests and jail time to zero, or at least it was for me. 502 organizers were idiots so it wouldn't surprise me if they imagined that people would be lining up to pay 55 smackers for what amounts to a plump dub.

Yea I really don't care what the price of the legal weed is. As long as possession and use is legal, then the problem is mostly solved. If the state wants to foster an interstate blackmarket because of taxes, then that becomes an economics problem that a politician who actually cares can use to get elected.

That said if other states follow the Washington approach instead of the Colorado approach, then it will significantly weaken the momentum to eventually end the war on drugs, so hopefully other states don't make the same mistake.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Powercrazy posted:

Yea I really don't care what the price of the legal weed is. As long as possession and use is legal, then the problem is mostly solved. If the state wants to foster an interstate blackmarket because of taxes, then that becomes an economics problem that a politician who actually cares can use to get elected.

That said if other states follow the Washington approach instead of the Colorado approach, then it will significantly weaken the momentum to eventually end the war on drugs, so hopefully other states don't make the same mistake.

Why though? Because pot isn't $5 a gram on day three with three stores open? I think thats fairly unrealistic, and I would imagine if more states/the US move towards legalization then its going to be more like the WA model than the CO model mainly because I don't think that many states have as comprehensive a medical marijuana policy.

Right now there are really two kinds of people who were and still are against WA's model. People who were benefiting from the highly unregulated medical marijuana market which was just a place for not sick people who had a cool doctor to buy pot and people who actually think pot is evil and will turn you into a ravenous hell demon.

I am being a little bit flippant, but the majority of people I knew who had med marijuana were perfectly healthy people who just happened to find a doc to give them a card. That system was extremely unfair and I'm glad its going to be gone now. There were people who had legitimate medical use I'm sure, but there's no reason they shouldn't have to buy it with the rest of us just like a tylenol.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
it is perfectly reasonable for medical products to be taxed differently than recreational ones and its a pretty big bummer for anyone who was relying on it in WA. I don't particularly care for medical as a pathway to legalization because I think the medical companies will inevitably stand in the way of legalization, but at the same time, I recognize the harm caused by having neither instead of just medical. It seems unfair to charge people such high rates for their medicine. If there were some disease or symptom treated by tobacco(work with me), I wouldn't want those patients to have to pay the taxes either.

I'm not crazy about sin taxes at all and WA's seem pretty absurd. I know WA doesn't have income tax but I'd rather they introduce that than gouge low income folks with a flat sales tax.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Jeffrey posted:

I'm not crazy about sin taxes at all and WA's seem pretty absurd. I know WA doesn't have income tax but I'd rather they introduce that than gouge low income folks with a flat sales tax.

I can see a place for sin taxes where consumption of a product leads to increased costs (as with tobacco and health care), if the sin taxes are used primarily to deal with said increased costs. Beyond that, if people want to do things like fund schools and whatnot, the whole community should carry that "burden." And if funding education is seen as a burden, well, I don't really know what to tell you.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SedanChair posted:

Hahahaha :wow:

Well, this was never about actually outcompeting the black market. It was about reducing arrests and jail time to zero, or at least it was for me. 502 organizers were idiots so it wouldn't surprise me if they imagined that people would be lining up to pay 55 smackers for what amounts to a plump dub.

:qqsay:

The medical weed laws being dismantled does suck for the disabled/sick, at least for the time being. On the other hand, medical pot businesses chose to stand in the way of progress rather than work with the movement to better support their clients during this transition. There's plenty of blame to go around for what is ultimately a temporary issue.

It may not have been ideal, but WA is still one of two whole states that even tried to legalize it. That's a major accomplishment even if it makes weed libertarians upset.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I'm not cry, $55 is what people I know pay for a quarter of kind-rear end lemon haze. Like I said, all I care about is people not going to jail.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Intellectual giant and NBC reporter Luke Russert has discovered how to solve the drug problem!

[VIDEO] https://twitter.com/rogernoriegaUSA/status/487671786096431104

It didn't end there though:

https://twitter.com/LukeRussert/status/487672817413271554

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 12, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Well he's right, the answer is just to legalize it and develop domestic production.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Xandu posted:

Well he's right, the answer is just to legalize it and develop domestic production.

But then the cartels will come here!!! Don't you know they're already running the show in Colorado, which is now a lawless wasteland??? :downs:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Supposedly Andy Harris (MD-R) said on NPR this morning that he's backing out of the fight over DC Cannabis. Anyone catch the interview?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Supposedly Andy Harris (MD-R) said on NPR this morning that he's backing out of the fight over DC Cannabis. Anyone catch the interview?

It's putting a big spotlight on him in a part of the country he apparently doesn't want the press, or he's re-positioning himself to go national with his anti-weed campaign.

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/legislative/sap/113/saphr5016h_20140714.pdf

quote:

Similarly, the Administration strongly opposes the language in the bill preventing the District from using its own local funds to carry out locally- passed marijuana policies, which again undermines the principles of States' rights and of District home rule. Furthermore, the language poses legal challenges to the Metropolitan Police Department's enforcement of all marijuana laws currently in force in the District.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Freakazoid_ posted:

:qqsay:

The medical weed laws being dismantled does suck for the disabled/sick, at least for the time being. On the other hand, medical pot businesses chose to stand in the way of progress rather than work with the movement to better support their clients during this transition. There's plenty of blame to go around for what is ultimately a temporary issue.

It may not have been ideal, but WA is still one of two whole states that even tried to legalize it. That's a major accomplishment even if it makes weed libertarians upset.

How are the "medical weed laws being dismantled?" Washington's medical marijuana laws are completely intact, and they're going to stay that way. Patients with a medical authorization can possess way more than the standard limit, they can grow their own, and they can participate in collective gardens (which is the loophole every medical dispensary in the state uses). A lot of the current dispensaries are going to dry up once the recreational market takes off, because they've always been thinly veiled recreational operations anyway - but the laws themselves aren't going to be dismantled, and Washington medical patients will still have tax-free options that aren't available to recreational consumers.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
If you have a friend with a green card then you can already buy weed recreationally (and hella cheaper too)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Holy poo poo, this is potentially huge. Thanks so much for posting, I forwarded this to the Campaign.

This is Obama saying that if Congress tries to gently caress with DC's budget for reforming cannabis law, he'll veto it. Hot loving drat. I just emailed the campaign to make sure it ends up on our Twitter (a lot of folks on vacation after petition turn-in so our tweeting is slow this week). Wow, this could make a huge difference.

If Congress doesn't use backdoor Appropriations shenanigans to prevent DC from printing ballots with Legalization on them, then counting the ballots in November (in the past they've blocked counting cast ballots for weed, some real North Korea bullshit), then if we vote this in for November the only remaining block is Congressional Oversight Committee's 60-day review period. But a chunk of that period will be over the holidays, and also this White House announcement could potentially show an inclination of the prez to veto cock-blocking by Oversight as well. This makes it look more and more likely that marijuana will be fully legal (for private possession and growing) by early 2015. And if that kicks in, the Council has already said they plan to meet it by setting up a Marijuana Control Board and all that for commercial sales. The latter could take a year or two to hammer out, but in the meantime folks'll be smoking homegrown or "magically fell out of the sky into my living-room" fully legally.

Decrim should kick in within a week or two since we're almost past the 60-day mark. Technically they're still arresting folks for weed; saw one arrest two days ago, still walked by calling out "Legalize Marijuana in November" and the guy shouted "with ya man, that's what I'm getting arrrested for", so it was too-too on the nose. But anecdotally a (white) friend says she's already had friends report smoking weed right in front of cops and them just ignoring it this month.

tl;dr: 57,000 petition signatures are in, January survey shows 63% in favor, attacks by Congress may galvanize fence-sitters to vote pro-weed just based on Home Rule, Congressional gadfly backed out this morning, White House put out a statement favoring DC reforming its own MJ laws. It is looking more and more like DC might have legal reefer next year. Again, does me no personal good as a federal clearance holder, but I'm still stoked.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm not getting how that is a change.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Space Gopher posted:

How are the "medical weed laws being dismantled?" Washington's medical marijuana laws are completely intact, and they're going to stay that way. Patients with a medical authorization can possess way more than the standard limit, they can grow their own, and they can participate in collective gardens (which is the loophole every medical dispensary in the state uses). A lot of the current dispensaries are going to dry up once the recreational market takes off, because they've always been thinly veiled recreational operations anyway - but the laws themselves aren't going to be dismantled, and Washington medical patients will still have tax-free options that aren't available to recreational consumers.

You might want to read this.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Freakazoid_ posted:

:qq: I can't get my doctor friend to write me and a bunch of friends a prescription so that we can create a "collective garden" and get around all the licensing requirements of retail marijuana. :qq:

For patients that ACTUALLY NEED IT, there is no difference.

Also a change of 24 ounces(!) to 3 ounces, still a ridiculous amount of product, is hardly a restriction.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 15, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've had the dangdest time (as have other folks on the campaign) trying to nail down exactly when the 60-day Congressional oversight on decriminalizing reefer in DC runs out, but apparently it's this Thursday:

http://www.theweedblog.com/washington-d-c-marijuana-decriminalization-takes-effect/

Cops assuredly standing by for many long and patient explanations of "yes, but you still can't smoke in public people, the ticket is for possession, public use is still a crime."

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Freakazoid_ posted:

That is the collective "recommendation to the legislature" from the state regulatory agencies implementing legalized weed, and it carries precisely zero legal weight by itself. Any changes to the law have to come from the legislature.

From the perspective of those agencies, it makes sense to recommend shutting down the current medical system - they're justifiably concerned about diversion risks from untaxed to taxed markets. But, implementing those recommendations means that elected politicians will have to side with faceless evil bureaucrats over sympathetic grannies who just want their medicine. We might see a few token changes to the current MMJ system, but it's not going to look like those recommendations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Py-O-My posted:

DC's legalization campaign has attracted the gaze of Kevin Sabet, cofounder of Project SAM, author of "Reefer Sanity", and noted lying sack of poo poo:

http://www.tiedc2014.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etuPF1yJRzg

"Our city." Right. gently caress you, Kevin.

Debates:

Kevin Sabet vs Bill Piper from Drug Policy Alliance at the National Press Club in Warshington DC on July 24: http://press.org/news-multimedia/news/interpreting-smoke-signals-marijuana-skirmish-line

Kevin Sabet vs Judge James P. Gray Wednesday, July 16 10:45am MT http://www.fee.org/seminars/page/is-legalizing-marijuana-a-responsible-public-policy

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 16, 2014

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

quote:

Marijuana is harmless.
Truth: “Though not as addictive as drugs like heroin, today’s high potency marijuana is harmful. Marijuana contributes to psychosis and schizophrenia, addiction for 1 in 6 kids who ever use it once, and it significantly increases the risk of IQ loss among those who started smoking before age 18.”

Correlation? Causation? What's the difference? :downs:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I've had the dangdest time (as have other folks on the campaign) trying to nail down exactly when the 60-day Congressional oversight on decriminalizing reefer in DC runs out, but apparently it's this Thursday:

http://www.theweedblog.com/washington-d-c-marijuana-decriminalization-takes-effect/

Cops assuredly standing by for many long and patient explanations of "yes, but you still can't smoke in public people, the ticket is for possession, public use is still a crime."

I was trying to figure this out too, as most news articles mentioned "sometime in July", and then an article a day or two ago said "Hey guys Thursday lol"

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

SgtScruffy posted:

I was trying to figure this out too, as most news articles mentioned "sometime in July", and then an article a day or two ago said "Hey guys Thursday lol"

Thursday is what I'm hearing too; a campaign friend surveyed some cops and they all said they'd had mandatory training on this new decrim.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall for that class...

EDIT: cops kvetching to media: http://m.washingtonpost.com/local/d...7fc2_story.html

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 16, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Just getting better and better:

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/local-news/marijuana-decriminalization-begins-in-dc-on-thursday-heres-what-you-need-to-know.php posted:

Okay, I get it. But do the cops?

The Metropolitan Police Department is distributing materials to its officers informing them of the new rules. Besides a lengthy special order, the MPD is also giving officers wallet-sized cards outlining the decriminalization law to distribute to residents. The department plans to add the same information to its website later this week

“The department has developed and implemented training for all members, and has shared this with prosecutors and DC Housing Authority,” MPD spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump writes in an e-mail. “As of midnight, Wednesday night, no member can make or approve an arrest for marijuana possession without having first taken this training.”

Cops who aren't trained on decrim can't make any weed arrests. That'll cut down on any bullshit "whoops, sorry for cuffing you and hauling you downtown, turns out I was incorrect."

I really want to get one of those wallet-sized cards; I'll start asking the Johnnies in my neighbourhood for one.

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001

Just getting better and better:

Cops who aren't trained on decrim can't make any weed arrests. That'll cut down on any bullshit "whoops, sorry for cuffing you and hauling you downtown, turns out I was incorrect."

I really want to get one of those wallet-sized cards; I'll start asking the Johnnies in my neighbourhood for one.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Colorado weed update:

88+ Recreational 21+ dispensaries open in Denver. Coupons, deals, special offers everywhere. $25 eighths after-tax common.

150+ Recreational 21+ dispensaries state-wide. $90 million in sales since Jan 1.

10% lower crime rate in the first 5 months of 2014 compared to 2013 according to the FBI.

Pot seizures on Nebraska border reported to be up 400% compared to previous years.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Pot seizures on Nebraska border reported to be up 400% compared to previous years.
:aaa: them no good godless heathens creating crime in Nebraska.

I wonder how much weed has been seized through the mail?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'd actually like to know that as well because I've known a few people who are getting more 'gifts' from friends in Colorado since February.

EDIT: This is from last year, closest I could find.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/04/07/marijuana-stuffed-mail-intercepts-hit-another-high-postal-inspectors-say

quote:

During the fiscal year, which ended in September, inspectors confiscated 45,000 pounds of cannabis concealed within 9,100 parcels, according to Paul Krenn, an assistant inspector in charge at the U.S. Postal Inspection Service’s Washington, D.C., headquarters.

In fiscal year 2012 inspectors found 42,000 pounds of marijuana stashed in about 7,600 parcels.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 17, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Just walked over to Adams Morgan solely to find a cop so I could get one of those decrim info cards for a souvenir. The first cops I found, a van of Curfew/Truant cops didn't have the cards, and admitted they don't even have a ticket-book with a checkbox for weed yet. I was glad I found those cops though, since my biggest question was how age is factored into the Decrim, like do <21 or <18 also get an MIP or similar for weed now? The cop I asked had just completed the course on the new law, and said it was his understanding that it is only the straight $25 fine for possession, down to the age of 13. If it's under 13, they have to get Child Protective Services involved, but older than that and they'll just ticket you.

I think it would be a kick-rear end article in the Washington Post to find and interview the last guy in DC to get run in for simple possession of under an ounce, and the first guy in DC to get a $25 ticket instead.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Stanos posted:

I'd actually like to know that as well because I've known a few people who are getting more 'gifts' from friends in Colorado since February.

EDIT: This is from last year, closest I could find.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/04/07/marijuana-stuffed-mail-intercepts-hit-another-high-postal-inspectors-say

That means the average weed package has five pounds in it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KernelSlanders posted:

That means the average weed package has five pounds in it.

No, that means the average weed package that gets caught has five pounds in it.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Either way it invites gratuitous use of italics. :v:

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

razorrozar posted:

Either way it invites gratuitous use of italics. :v:

Find me a way to furrow my brow via text and I'll "never" use italics again.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

KernelSlanders posted:

Find me a way to furrow my brow via text and I'll "never" use italics again.

Fmdb

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oregon's Marijuana legalization initiative will be on the ballot in the fall:

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/politics/elections/2014/07/22/marijuana-legalization-initiative-qualifies-oregon-ballot/13003337/

quote:

Oregon voters will get to decide this November whether they want to legalize recreational marijuana for people 21 or older.

The New Approach Oregon campaign announced Tuesday that the initiative cleared the Secretary of State's signature hurdle, earning the measure a place on the November ballot.

"This is our moment to be part of history and lead a movement," Dominique Lopez, metro regional organizer for New Approach Oregon, said in a statement. "Treating marijuana use as a crime has failed, but together we can win a more sensible approach and better the lives of Oregonians."

The proposal would allow a person to possess up to eight ounces of marijuana and to cultivate up to four plants. It would also give the Oregon Liquor Control Commission authority to oversee and regulate recreational sales, which would start in January 2016.

Recreational marijuana would be taxed at $1.50 a gram or $35 an ounce, according to the initiative. That money would be used for schools, law enforcement, drug treatment programs and mental health programs.

If Oregonians legalize recreational marijuana in November, the Beaver State could become the third state in the nation to do so. Alaskans will also vote this November, and Washington and Colorado voters both passed legalization initiatives in 2012.

"With legalization initiatives qualified in two states — and another in (Washington D.C.) likely to be certified soon — plus several recent wins on the floor of the Republican-controlled U.S. House, 2014 is shaping up to be the biggest year for marijuana reform yet," Tom Angell, founder of the Marijuana Majority, said in a statement. "If we win these legalization initiatives, it's not only likely that more states will follow suit in 2016 but that presidential candidates on both sides of the aisle are going to see the value in being perceived as pro-reform."

Oregonians voted against legalizing recreational cannabis in 2012.

New Approach Oregon leaders say they've learned from the previous campaigns mistakes call their initiative a "sober" approach to legalization. Their measure places limits on personal possession, sets the age at 21 rather than 18 and bans public consumption.

The campaign has also raised nearly $870,000 in campaign contributions, according to online records from the Secretary of State's Office.

Those donations include national groups like the Drug Policy Action, which donated $150,000, and national marijuana advocates like Phillip Harvey, who donated $50,000.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

I was kinda concerned about OR's chances, since some surveys in previous years put them barely about 50%, but apparently it's a little better than that now:

quote:

It appears likely that the Oregon measure will pass. A recent poll showed that 57 percent of the state's likely 2014 voters support recreational marijuana legalization.

I would optimistically reckon that every month that goes by without WA/CO becoming Mad Max IV: Reefer Madness helps build the case for legalization.

Alaska is 52% in favor, 44 against. DC is 63% in favor and 34 against, so about the only thing that could stop us is if nobody under 60 votes, or if Congress uses funding tricks to prevent DC from either printing the ballots, or counting cast ballots, as they've done in the past.

EDIT: I would hope too that this growing sense of inevitability might cause at least some anti- folks to either skip those ballot questions or check yes, figuring they might as well be part of the winning team.

If somehow none of these three pass it in 2014, that'll make 2016's prospects a little glum. But if all three make it this is going to get ridiculous fast.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
God I hope the dumb loving medical marijuana people don't all vote against it again. Selfish rear end holes, hopefully they see now they will still have a place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Winkle-Daddy posted:

God I hope the dumb loving medical marijuana people don't all vote against it again. Selfish rear end holes, hopefully they see now they will still have a place.

Yea last year I was pretty concerned about the entrenched medical lobby stopping recreational sales, but it doesn't look like that is the case and I doubt there are that many entitled "patients" who would vote against recreational weed in some kind of FYGM, so hopefully that's not a concern.

• Locked thread