Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Ogmius815 posted:

You guys are idiots. I'm going to get :godwin: again for this but this is the same kind of reasoning that lead to the creation of the hydrogen bomb. No doubt you people would probably support that too because :goonsay: it lead to some useful technologies :goonsay:.

You'll be singing a different tune when we need to blow an asteroid out of the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Volcott posted:

You'll be singing a different tune when we need to blow an asteroid out of the sky.

This post is great because bullshit science fiction scenarios are literally the best point you guys have been able to make.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh my god the bomb, this is the result of scientists running amok. Not a massive security state and military-industrial complex, somebody let the white coats run wild and now look, nukes.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Oh my god the bomb, this is the result of scientists running amok. Not a massive security state and military-industrial complex, somebody let the white coats run wild and now look, nukes.

But the continued existence of smallpox actually has the same reasoning. The people who hold the reins don't give a poo poo about science, they just want to keep their toy because the Russians have it too.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Well, due to the advent of really big bombs, bio-weapons are pretty much useless now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ogmius815 posted:

You guys are idiots. I'm going to get :godwin: again for this but this is the same kind of reasoning that lead to the creation of the hydrogen bomb. No doubt you people would probably support that too because :goonsay: it lead to some useful technologies :goonsay:.

The hydrogen bomb was a good thing to create, why do you hate it?

Were you a few hundred square kilometers of barren tundra in a past life or something?

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

ITT people literally tell me that science doesn't need a conscience , then complain about :godwin: when I compare them to Dr. Frankenstein.

Science isn't good just because, it's only good when it helps humanity. When research is really dangerous and no one can say how it helps humanity, right thinking people think twice.
If you'd like to learn more about bio safety in modern times why don't you check out the documentary "Threading the NEIDL"? It's an insightful look into how the NEIDL in Boston operates. BSL-4 labs are interesting places in just how many steps are taken to protect both researchers and the public, especially in a facility so embedded in a major urban area.

"Threading the NEIDL": http://www.twiv.tv/threading-the-neidl/

I'd also recommend reading the Shooter Report, which covers the investigation of the smallpox accident of 1979 that occurred in Britain. Labs back in the day were crazy in how relaxed they were around really scary substances. The contrast between then and today is fun to look at. Both of these are free to watch and look at by the way.

The Shooter Report: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/228654/0668.pdf.pdf

I think you would really enjoy both of these. Tell me if you'd like to know anything else about virology and microbiology in general. I'm not officially educated, but hopefully I can point you towards interesting reading material and videos.
Edit: BSL-4 not BLS, sorry

Cercadelmar fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 12, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Just The Facts posted:

It did.

It also served it purpose.

I thought the courts have been ruling against that thought.

Well, no, actually with the Hobby Lobby case the SCOTUS actually allowed business owners to refuse to provide types of medical care that they believe violate their conscience.

They tried to narrowly contain it to contraception because they realize there will be consequences when people like Christian Scientists try to make these claims, but they provided no basis for doing so and it's almost certainly not going to hold up in future cases.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

We understand how the hydrogen bomb is created. We understand what we need to create it, and thus can watch for others trying to make their own hydrogen bombs, and understand how to counter it.

You seem to believe that all research is strictly "How to make a really big boom" and nothing else.

You're asking us to willfully incapacitate our capability to study stuff. Yes, we'll learn how to create bigger and potentially more deadly things, but there's a flipside to that.

If you understand how something works, you know how to make it *not* work. You know how to stop it. You know how to disrupt it and possibly save billions of lives. You're saying we shouldn't know gently caress about it, even if we can actually use that knowledge to defend against it. You're making the arguments that all scientists are Frankenstien, and to be quite honest that's like something from Dees or the anti-vaxxers.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

E-Tank posted:

If you understand how something works, you know how to make it *not* work. You know how to stop it. You know how to disrupt it and possibly save billions of lives. You're saying we shouldn't know gently caress about it, even if we can actually use that knowledge to defend against it. You're making the arguments that all scientists are Frankenstien, and to be quite honest that's like something from Dees or the anti-vaxxers.

Yes, but we can do all those things with cowpox, because there's a century-plus of research showing that anything that kills one kills the other, and unlike with smallpox we don't need to infect humans to do research with cowpox. Smallpox doesn't even work in other animals and is far too dangerous to use on humans.

You seem to think he's arguing against viral research as a whole, and he's not. There's just not any good reason to keep smallpox in particular around, none of the research being done on it is very significant or promising and it's an incredibly virulent and deadly pathogen which most of the population is no longer vaccinated against.

The idea that weighing risk and benefit makes you anti-science is absolutely ludicrous.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 12, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes, but we can do all those things with cowpox

Prove it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

quote:

ACVVR at its 15th meeting discussed the need to retain live variola virus for drug development. Proponents of retention argued the uncertainty of regulatory approval of the two lead compounds and the possible need for additional antiviral agents to be developed, which would require thorough testing (including the use of live variola virus. Some participants maintained that the development of an animal model of smallpox was highly desirable. Opponents of retention argued that regulatory approval of tecovirimat and brincidofovir was highly unlikely to fail and, if needed, suitable surrogate orthopoxvirus infection models could be used for drug testing and development.

Members of AGIES considered these opinions and other points of view. The view that additional research on new drug targets with live variola virus might reveal important insights into the pathogenesis of human smallpox was challenged by the fact that no animal model for smallpox is available to allow such research. With regard to the potential need to develop additional drug candidates, it was suggested that live variola virus could be rescued from viral DNA (stored in repositories) if urgently needed. The need to retain live virus for reasons of regulatory uncertainties was discussed. The AGIES members supported the great likelihood that the two lead compounds in late stages of development would be approved. Nevertheless some members felt uncomfortable about the uncertainty of regulatory decision-making and it was argued that the technical and logistical feasibility of swift resurrection of live variola virus from DNA should be verified.
http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/97034/1/WHO_HSE_PED_CED_2013.3_eng.pdf

The WHO's AGIES committee: You can't perform research on something that doesn't behave the same in animals as in humans, other poxviruses have always been used instead and will continue to be used in the future, and in the event we really did need specifically Smallpox for an absurd fight-the-martians scenario we could synthesize live virus from DNA stores.

Given that there's 300+ years of research using surrogate poxviruses and they are the scientific norm, maybe you should give some examples of possible cases where the usage of surrogates wouldn't be appropriate.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 12, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Paul MaudDib posted:

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/97034/1/WHO_HSE_PED_CED_2013.3_eng.pdf

The WHO's AGIES committee: You can't perform research on something that doesn't behave the same in animals as in humans, other poxviruses have always been used instead and will continue to be used in the future, and in the event we really did need specifically Smallpox for an absurd fight-the-martians scenario we could synthesize live virus from DNA stores.

The CDC and their equivalent in Russia disagree.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Nintendo Kid posted:

The CDC and their equivalent in Russia disagree.

Both of which are policy instruments of their respective governments.

Yes, the owners of weapons of mass destruction frequently do disagree about whether or not they should be allowed to keep them. Pretty common behavior all the way down to your garden-variety gun nuts.

Those two countries also happen to be the only countries who show significant opposition to destruction of live smallpox, not coincidentally.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 12, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes, the owners of weapons of mass destruction frequently do disagree about whether or not they should be allowed to keep them. Pretty common behavior all the way down to your garden-variety gun nuts.

Smallpox isn't a weapon of mass destruction.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Nintendo Kid posted:

Smallpox isn't a weapon of mass destruction.

Sure it is.

quote:

U.S. Code › Title 18 › Part I › Chapter 113B › § 2332a
18 U.S. Code § 2332a - Use of weapons of mass destruction

(c) Definitions.— For purposes of this section—
(2) the term “weapon of mass destruction” means—

(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title;
(B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;
(C) any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those terms are defined in section 178 of this title); or

(D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life; and

(1) the term “biological agent” means any microorganism (including, but not limited to, bacteria, viruses, fungi, rickettsiae or protozoa), or infectious substance, or any naturally occurring, bioengineered or synthesized component of any such microorganism or infectious substance, capable of causing—
(A) death, disease, or other biological malfunction in a human, an animal, a plant, or another living organism;

(B) deterioration of food, water, equipment, supplies, or material of any kind; or
(C) deleterious alteration of the environment;
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2332a

Biological agents are absolutely weapons of mass destruction, the traditional definition is "nuclear, biological, and chemical" weapons.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 12, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sure it is.

http://web.stanford.edu/group/sjir/3.2.02_ajayi.html

Biological weapons are absolutely weapons of mass destruction, the traditional definition is "nuclear, biological, and chemical" weapons.

Except it's currently impossible to use it as such, for multiple reasons starting with a lack of a way to produce it into large quantities and reliably deliver it.

PS: if you actually cared about smallpox as a means of creating a weapon of mass destruction, you would have to admit that complete sequencing of several strains of it means it's possible to create weapons out of it without any samples being held. :smugdog:

But you don't actually care about it, it just rages you that some vials are kept somewhere.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes, but we can do all those things with cowpox, because there's a century-plus of research showing that anything that kills one kills the other, and unlike with smallpox we don't need to infect humans to do research with cowpox. Smallpox doesn't even work in other animals and is far too dangerous to use on humans.

You seem to think he's arguing against viral research as a whole, and he's not. There's just not any good reason to keep smallpox in particular around, none of the research being done on it is very significant or promising and it's an incredibly virulent and deadly pathogen which most of the population is no longer vaccinated against.
As much as I hate to just repost an article, I think you guys might have over looked this one http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.ppat.1004108
which raised some good arguments.

Are We There Yet? posted:

Despite this changing landscape, the WHO-approved research agenda has largely become conscribed to the needs of finalizing the work on the remaining antiviral product issues. Fundamental research has been greatly limited over the past decade. Thus, basic variola virus research projects that could potentially lead to other advances in public health efforts have become increasingly absent from the list of WHO-approved projects. It should be noted that the international scientific community has fully complied with these WHO strictures for conducting work with live variola virus. Also, input from various external bodies, such as the Institute of Medicine, has been received and considered by the WHO in order to develop a coherent research agenda for live variola virus. Unique amongst orthopoxviruses, which are largely zoonotic pathogens, variola is known to be a sole human pathogen. The viral and host factors responsible for this specific tropism remain essentially unknown, although the current genomic information database across orthopoxviruses makes hypothesis-driven experimental design using functional genomic approaches more feasible than in the past. We recognize that ultimate proof of such hypotheses will be challenging, as current animal models using variola virus do not faithfully recapitulate the human clinical disease process or immune responses [26], and recombinant genetic modification approaches are not condoned in use of variola. We recommend that the scientific and world community re-engage to discuss future research potential with live variola virus to improve disease interventions by advancing our understanding of the virus and its relationship with its human host.

In May 2014, the WHA will consider whether to destroy the remaining stocks of live variola virus or, instead, to recommend continued research with live variola virus in the two WHO-certified sites. This research remains vital, and we believe that the original goals of the WHO agenda for newer and safer vaccines, fully licensed antiviral drugs, and better diagnostics have still not been fully met.
I'll also add that indefinite preservation of smallpox samples isn't the only answer, but we're far from understanding all that can be learned from the virus. Once again I'd like to encourage you at least read the above article and skim some of the other links I've provided. This isn't as clear-cut as you're making it seem, and we aren't just throwing the virus around as you've implied. My previous posts haven't been addressed yet and I would be glad to read some responses to what I thought were valid points.

EDIT: Also yeah, if we wanted to weaponize smallpox it would be done in a place like USAMRIID and would be kept hidden. You're arguing against keeping vials in a mostly transparent secure environment. I don't actually understand what you're arguing for since, as I said, the CDC wouldn't be involved in biowarfare since that's more of a military facility thing.

Cercadelmar fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 12, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

You're being willfully disingenuous, and it's sentences like the one that you wrote that lead to people becoming anti-vaxxers. The CDC is just an arm of BIG GOVERNMENT trying to interfere with my life, my kids don't need no loving measles vaccine! You may as well throw away all of those studies showing that vaccines don't cause autism, they were funding by government research dollars and are therefore tainted

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

But the continued existence of smallpox actually has the same reasoning. The people who hold the reins don't give a poo poo about science, they just want to keep their toy because the Russians have it too.

Except that there are a lot of scientists who don't give a poo poo about policy and who want to keep smallpox around for future potential research applications. You don't actually have a counterargument to this, so you keep implying that the argument is invalid because you have a poor understanding of some literature that you've probably never even read.

I think that you might be the densest person on Earth. You could hold the key to all sorts of amazing neurological breakthroughs!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just The Facts posted:

I thought the courts have been ruling against that thought.

Yeah but that's only because the anti-vaxxers haven't had the opportunity yet to tell Alito that vaccines cause abortions :v:

But seriously I think those court cases only said the school district didn't have to accept kids-who-are-unvaccinated-due-to-stupid-parents, not that the parents had to vaccinate or that letting your kid get polio because Moses or Jenny McCarthy said a thing is child neglect.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

QuarkJets posted:

Except that there are a lot of scientists who don't give a poo poo about policy and who want to keep smallpox around for future potential research applications. You don't actually have a counterargument to this, so you keep implying that the argument is invalid because you have a poor understanding of some literature that you've probably never even read.

I think that you might be the densest person on Earth. You could hold the key to all sorts of amazing neurological breakthroughs!

But we must destroy the samples because otherwise ????? will happen. Sure I can't actually come up with a problem that will happen but it's still dangerous because eventually ????? will happen.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah, gently caress physics research, we should just burn all of the textbooks that deal with matters beyond a 19th century understanding of the universe. Anyone researching the properties of the nucleus might accidentally discover that you can make a really big bomb, round up everyone with a degree in nuclear physics or high energy physics and put them in death camps. gently caress anything that was invented as a result of nuclear physics, quantum physics, or high energy physics research, my tiny brain is scared

And actually, basic Newtonian physics led to horrible inventions like the crossbow and the trebuchet, so we'd probably be better off just taking our whole society back to the dark ages. We wouldn't want any research to accidentally lead to discoveries that could be used to build weapons. Gather together all of the engineers and physicists, it's for the greater good.

e: Oh but wait, science is also responsible for the kinds of metallurgy that allowed us to make swords and poo poo, gently caress, well it's the stone ages for us, then! Burn all of the books and kill all of the smart people

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 12, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cercadelmar posted:

You're arguing against keeping vials in a mostly transparent secure environment.

Like a cardboard box in an unlocked storage room kept at above-freezing temperatures?

Disclaimer: I'm not knowledgeable enough to come down on either side here, though I tend toward destroying the stocks despite an understanding that it will never happen due to any number of political and bureaucratic reasons.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mdemone posted:

Like a cardboard box in an unlocked storage room kept at above-freezing temperatures?

Disclaimer: I'm not knowledgeable enough to come down on either side here, though I tend toward destroying the stocks despite an understanding that it will never happen due to any number of political and bureaucratic reasons.

In a discussion about whether we should destroy all of the remaining smallpox samples, we obviously can't destroy the samples that we don't know about.

e: Do you have a reason for supporting the destruction of the samples besides the fear of an incredibly improbable outbreak for which we already have a cure?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mdemone posted:

Those samples had been thought to be destroyed in the 1960s. If anything it's an argument against thinking you can just destroy all the known samples to get rid of it for good, seeing as ones that weren't deliberately hidden sat around for over half a century unnoticed.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

But we must destroy the samples because otherwise ????? will happen. Sure I can't actually come up with a problem that will happen but it's still dangerous because eventually ????? will happen.

He's given reasons, the problem is that his reasons are poo poo.

He's terrified that there'll be an outbreak, which is drat near impossible due to the security around the viruses. Yes, there have been accidental exposures before. Security has tightened to the point that its virtually impossible.

He's also terrified that it'll be used as a biological weapon, which makes no loving sense. The only idea of it is if you really don't give a gently caress if you and your people die just as much as the other people. You'd have to begin vaccinating your citizens against smallpox which is going to raise some alarm bells, and then if you drop smallpox somewhere, you'll get everybody on your rear end. It makes no sense to try and use barring some sort of 'gently caress it, we'll kill everyone, ourselves and them'. In which case nukes would be much better, easier, and has no vaccine to protect victims.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

In a discussion about whether we should destroy all of the remaining smallpox samples, we obviously can't destroy the samples that we don't know about.

e: Do you have a reason for supporting the destruction of the samples besides the fear of an incredibly improbable outbreak for which we already have a cure?

I take your first point. I only brought it up as a indicator that somebody in 2060 is going to find some stuff we didn't destroy today, so we should use that as a thought exercise.

As to your second point: I was given to understand that we do not have a cure for smallpox, merely antivirals with some non-trivial failure rate. And if you have not been vaccinated (which I have not, nor has my infant son), then you're still looking at a mortality rate not to be sneezed at. If I'm wrong about any of that, I'm glad to concede.

Mostly I think I support destruction because humans have a pretty solid track record of loving the football, and if it is indeed true that other poxviruses provide equal scientific benefit for research routes, the benefit to keeping variola around seems awfully minuscule to me.

But as I said, I'm not rabid about it. More of a mild tendency.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

mdemone posted:

Inside of a BSL-4, I'm assuming that above freezing is best suited for preservation and regular study. Beyond that I still suggest you watch "Threading the NEIDL" if you're curious about how safe the labs smallpox is in are. Different facilities, same standards. Saying it's just a "cardboard box in an unlocked storage room" is disingenuous and ignores the other safety measures taken.
Threading the NEIDL: http://www.virology.ws/threading-the-neidl/
Edit: though you meant the CDC samples. If you meant the recent ones that were found, that's a poo poo argument that's addressed already. For future reference those were samples from the 60's when regulation was a lot less strict.

Cercadelmar fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 12, 2014

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

mdemone posted:

Mostly I think I support destruction because humans have a pretty solid track record of loving the football, and if it is indeed true that other poxviruses provide equal scientific benefit for research routes, the benefit to keeping variola around seems awfully minuscule to me.
Again, this article outlines what research has yet to be done on the remaining variola stocks. It's incorrect to say there are no benefits to continued research. Once we've finished our research we can discuss wether the samples should be kept.
http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.ppat.1004108

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I suppose a better way to say it is that I'm in favor of having destroyed those samples back then. If regulations and safety protocols are virtually foolproof now, then so be it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mdemone posted:

I take your first point. I only brought it up as a indicator that somebody in 2060 is going to find some stuff we didn't destroy today, so we should use that as a thought exercise.

As to your second point: I was given to understand that we do not have a cure for smallpox, merely antivirals with some non-trivial failure rate. And if you have not been vaccinated (which I have not, nor has my infant son), then you're still looking at a mortality rate not to be sneezed at. If I'm wrong about any of that, I'm glad to concede.

But as I said, I'm not rabid about it. More of a mild tendency.

The thing is that the presence of smallpox samples doesn't make it any more or less likely for your and your kid to get exposed to smallpox. There is 0 danger of accidental leakage of it to spread out side of the containment facilities, and meanwhile their presence doesn't make creating smallpox as a weapon easier as for that you can construct the virus anew from the genetic sequencing already done on several strains.

mdemone posted:

I suppose a better way to say it is that I'm in favor of having destroyed those samples back then. If regulations and safety protocols are virtually foolproof now, then so be it.

The samples recently found were supposed to be destroyed back then in the first place. But as you can see, even though they were sitting in a mostly unsecured facility with little more than some glass vials and a cardboard box to protect them from breakage and spread, they never got anyone infected.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ogmius815 posted:

This post is great because bullshit science fiction scenarios are literally the best point you guys have been able to make.

:laffo:

Which of these threats to mankind has been observed to happen, or to have happened, with devastating effects on the biosphere?
* runaway climate change
* pandemics
* getting smashed by asteroids
all of them

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Cercadelmar posted:

Edit: though you meant the CDC samples. If you meant the recent ones that were found, that's a poo poo argument that's addressed already. For future reference those were samples from the 60's when regulation was a lot less strict.

My colleagues will also find random isotopes that someone from the 50s decided to put in a drawer and forget about because no one gave a poo poo. Everyone doing work in the proper areas then ends up getting shut down for a few weeks for reasons? :shrug:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

You guys know that smallpox has actually caused accidents and killed people since it's eradication right? It's happened. I posted an article in the chat thread today about the CDC accidentally loving up and sending Anthrax and superflu viruses to labs where they didn't belong. Those incidents didn't lead to any exposure, but forgive me if I don't have unlimited faith in human beings not to gently caress up. That doesn't mean we shouldn't ever study dangerous pathogens, but there had better be some clear idea of a payoff. Don't pretend that there isn't any risk. The idea that weighing risks against possible rewards somehow makes me an anti-science crazy is just precious.

What benefit weighs against that risk? You haven't a loving clue.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 12, 2014

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

You guys know that smallpox has actually caused accidents and killed people since it's eradication right? It's happened. I posted an article in the chat thread today about the CDC accidentally loving up and sending Anthrax and superflu viruses to labs where they didn't belong. Those incidents didn't lead to any exposure, but forgive me if I don't have unlimited faith in human beings not to gently caress up. That doesn't mean we shouldn't ever study dangerous pathogens, but there had better be some clear idea of a payoff. Don't pretend that there isn't any risk. The idea that weighing risks against possible rewards somehow makes me an anti-science crazy is precious though.

What benefit weighs against that risk? You haven't a loving clue.

Once again the smallpox lab accident happened in 1978 Britain. Not only is that not relevant to today, the 1978 accident is what led to stricter regulations and better protection in the first place. These in turn have led to the advanced BSL-4 facilities I've been harping on about. If you'd like to learn more about the Birmingham, Britain incident I've already suggested the Shooter Report which is right here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/228654/0668.pdf.pdf

The CDC mixup has also led to more regulation on how microbes are handled. Also you neglected to add that it ended in both the labs and the CDC noticing and rectifying the problem without any infections. Also I get the feeling you haven't been reading what I've been linking onto here. There has been a very clear outline on what research is being done in my previous posts.
Article I'm talking about : http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.ppat.1004108

e-typo

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I enjoy watching people spend their time worrying about catastrophic pandemics caused by samples escaping the CDC, and given the actual risk is 0 then it would appear that the benefits do outweigh the risks. It's been decades since anyone has died from lab exposure.

Besides, what do you have against Hydrogen bombs? Shouldn't you be upset about landmines, or cluster bombs, or something that actually gets used and kills people? Does the thought of vials in labs and missiles in silos, covered in dust and cobwebs really scare you that much?

Who are you to decide if it's too risky or not? Are you a scientist? A doctor? How can you go and say people don't have any clue of the risks and prattle on and on about holding science accountable to some sort of self defined utility when you aren't even in the field?

Oh, and 1978 was the last person killed, and that was 2 years before it was declared eradicated. So it hasn't killed anyone since it was eradicated.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 12, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ogmius815 posted:

You guys know that smallpox has actually caused accidents and killed people since it's eradication right? It's happened.

Actually it hasn't. And the last case of smallpox from a lab accident was in a country that does not have smallpox samples now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The risks are tiny, but the benefits are nonexistent - live smallpox virus isn't actually needed for smallpox research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

The risks are tiny, but the benefits are nonexistent - live smallpox virus isn't actually needed for smallpox research.

Actually it is, according to scientists. And the risks are 0.

• Locked thread