Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Which WiiU thread is this? They are blending together now.

For best results, you're supposed to have this thread on the gamepad and the other thread on your TV.

EDIT - Talking about an HD remake of Mario Sunshine, I always thought the lack of pressure sensitive shoulder buttons would suck. I just now thought of having a lever on your touch screen that you could use for the pressure of the thing. Or maybe tilt the gamepad forward and backward to control it? Or just do Mario Sunshine 2 like someone suggested and develop something specifically for it.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I will not rest until Nintendo makes a sequel to my favorite Mario game, Mario and Wario.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I will not rest until Nintendo makes a sequel to my favorite Mario game, Mario and Wario.
I on the other hand can die happy, seeing how somebody made Psycho Waluigi, even if it wasn't Nintendo themselves.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I think Nintendo has a lot of cool things they could potentially do with the massive amount of IP they have. A Wii U game starring Bowser or Peach has a ton of potential. I'd be far more interested in such a venture than I would be in another new Mario game, as much as I love them.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Listen the sooner all of you agree with my opinions the better.

I will now recite an idyll dedicated to why Metroid II was the greatest Metroid and I WILL NOT BE loving INTERRUPTED.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

matrix ripoff posted:

Listen the sooner all of you agree with my opinions the better.

I will now recite an idyll dedicated to why Metroid II was the greatest Metroid and I WILL NOT BE loving INTERRUPTED.

Having an opinion this bad should be a bannable offense

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

CatsPajamas posted:

You have made the correct choice, because Shovel Knight is awesome. Have not heard much about Child of Light though, what do people think of it?
Shovel knight is great. I got Child of Light and am enjoying it so far. It's a fairly straight forward Turn based RPG where you can single out an enemy to slow down in battle or heal one of your party members with a little fairy thing you have. That's really the only gimmick it has going for it. It's suuuuper gorgeous to look at though and it pretty artsy if you're into that. I wouldn't expect anything amazing but I enjoy it for what it is.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

I think Nintendo has a lot of cool things they could potentially do with the massive amount of IP they have. A Wii U game starring Bowser or Peach has a ton of potential. I'd be far more interested in such a venture than I would be in another new Mario game, as much as I love them.

This is true, except I'd probably also be interested in any new Mario games, inventive or not. I keep buying Nintendo in large part because the unexpected first-party titles or at least games made using first-party IPs are often pretty cool. Like I'm hoping Hyrule Warriors is one of those unexpected gems.

And I remember enjoying the gameplay in Super Princess Peach, but there's no getting around how ridiculously bad it was that her powers were emotions. One was crying.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
So Guacamelee is really loving good.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Hydrocodone posted:

And I remember enjoying the gameplay in Super Princess Peach, but there's no getting around how ridiculously bad it was that her powers were emotions. One was crying.

Wasn't the gameplay gimmick the 4 Greek elements, and she could literally burst into flames and became an invincible engine of destruction and also make tornadoes and such? There are very legitimate points to make regarding prejudice in the industry, but it's important to distinguish between things like Other M and things people want to be offended by because otherwise it all just becomes white noise.

Afro posted:

So Guacamelee is really loving good.

True that. I've got to get it for the Wii U once I finish Shovel Knight, since the Wii U version is a Special Edition. Other than changing some of the background references to be less "lol, Internet," does anyone know what the other gameplay changes were?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Got a cheap copy of NSMBU and it is really good how have you guys kept the Wii U a secret for so long?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

Got a cheap copy of NSMBU and it is really good how have you guys kept the Wii U a secret for so long?

We didnt, you thought it was a tablet for two years

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

CatsPajamas posted:

Wasn't the gameplay gimmick the 4 Greek elements, and she could literally burst into flames and became an invincible engine of destruction and also make tornadoes and such? There are very legitimate points to make regarding prejudice in the industry, but it's important to distinguish between things like Other M and things people want to be offended by because otherwise it all just becomes white noise.

No, her powers were literally her raging emotions. Joy, rage, gloom, and calm. I don't know where you got the Greek elements idea from.

As far as Nintendo goes, Super Princess Peach is definitely one of their lowest points, and definitely worse than Other M.

The game was fun, though.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Nolgthorn posted:

Best part of this is that NSMBU is FAR from the strongest exclusive in any way.

The Wii U is really good, guys .

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Bass Bottles posted:

No, her powers were literally her raging emotions. Joy, rage, gloom, and calm. I don't know where you got the Greek elements stuff from.

As far as Nintendo goes, Super Princess Peach is definitely one of their lowest points, and definitely worse than Other M.

Its one of those really weird pseudo cases too, since technically Peach's powers for that game come from the fact she has better control over her emotions compared to everyone else, who are afflicted by the same thing she is, and as a result are useless to help save the day. But at the same time, its still functionally her powers coming from her extreme emotions, so... Yeah.

Oddly enough my sister is actually a pretty big fan of the game as well, and she was excited when she thought she saw an announcement for a sequel, but then I had to let her down explaining she'd likely wound up sourcing information from a fanpedia page somehow.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

Its one of those really weird pseudo cases too, since technically Peach's powers for that game come from the fact she has better control over her emotions compared to everyone else, who are afflicted by the same thing she is, and as a result are useless to help save the day. But at the same time, its still functionally her powers coming from her extreme emotions, so... Yeah.

Oddly enough my sister is actually a pretty big fan of the game as well, and she was excited when she thought she saw an announcement for a sequel, but then I had to let her down explaining she'd likely wound up sourcing information from a fanpedia page somehow.

I would love a new platformer game starring Peach, minus the ridiculous emotion powers thing, but it probably shouldn't be called Super Princess Peach 2.

We sort of got that with 3D World though :)

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Bass Bottles posted:

No, her powers were literally her raging emotions. Joy, rage, gloom, and calm. I don't know where you got the Greek elements idea from.

The game was fun, though.

Okay, I'm sorry I should have explained that better. You are correct about the gimmick, but the effects of each one were the basic fire/water/wind/earth cycle. It's my impression the argument for this being bad is that a female character is being emotional, but I feel like that's entirely different then something like Other M which has too many issues to enumerate here (go watch Maple Leaf's LP). Quite to the contrary - Peach is the hero of the game, isn't portrayed as being helpless, etc.

Neat that Astro Nut's sister liked it anyway.

Moriatti posted:

Best part of this is that NSMBU is FAR from the strongest exclusive in any way.

The Wii U is really good, guys .

To take this thread back in a Wii U direction and speaking of NSMBU, so far the Mario series games on Wii U have been at least multiplayer capable if not multiplayer oriented. There's Mario Party 10 coming which is definitely geared that way as well (playing as Bowser looks great). Do you think Nintendo's going to continue that paradigm going forward? Like being able to have other players control your teammates in Starfox or some Dark Souls kind of stuff in the new open world Zelda or etc?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

CatsPajamas posted:

Okay, I'm sorry I should have explained that better. You are correct about the gimmick, but the effects of each one were the basic fire/water/wind/earth cycle. It's my impression the argument for this being bad is that a female character is being emotional, but I feel like that's entirely different then something like Other M which has too many issues to enumerate here (go watch Maple Leaf's LP). Quite to the contrary - Peach is the hero of the game, isn't portrayed as being helpless, etc.

Neat that Astro Nut's sister liked it anyway.

This is pretty much why I say its a pseudo-case. Its got odd, unfortunate implications to it, but within context and evident application, that doesn't quite line up either, so... yeah.

Admittedly, its probably offset by the fact that mechanically, from what I recall anyway, it is a genuinely a good game regardless of the themes involved. Kinda like the Wario games, the hero's (or in this case, heroine's) non-standard abilities lead to a notably different game experience from other Mario titles (immortality vs constantly on powers with environmental effects), and some more inventive level design. I wouldn't mind if they managed to reintroduce the basic functional mechanics with a better explanation, and well, making it Wii U chat, the gamepad would allow for power shifting to retain the same basic functionality from the DS game. Hell, since they're planning to port DS games to the system, they could experiment with it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

CatsPajamas posted:

To take this thread back in a Wii U direction and speaking of NSMBU, so far the Mario series games on Wii U have been at least multiplayer capable if not multiplayer oriented. There's Mario Party 10 coming which is definitely geared that way as well (playing as Bowser looks great). Do you think Nintendo's going to continue that paradigm going forward? Like being able to have other players control your teammates in Starfox or some Dark Souls kind of stuff in the new open world Zelda or etc?

I think they will release multiplayer stuff (Hyrule Warriors/Splatoon) IN ADDITION to single player content, but will feature heavy Miiverse functionality in all first party titles.

That said, a co-op Starfox would be rad as gently caress.

EDIT: Like if each team member had passive abilities reminiscent if their functions in N64?
The Falco Player gets to see hidden passages and The Slippy player relays the boss's health?
I think I would love that.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 12, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Co-op Starfox? Maybe then Fox's teammates won't be so freaking useless.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

This is pretty much why I say its a pseudo-case. Its got odd, unfortunate implications to it, but within context and evident application, that doesn't quite line up either, so... yeah.

Admittedly, its probably offset by the fact that mechanically, from what I recall anyway, it is a genuinely a good game regardless of the themes involved. Kinda like the Wario games, the hero's (or in this case, heroine's) non-standard abilities lead to a notably different game experience from other Mario titles (immortality vs constantly on powers with environmental effects), and some more inventive level design. I wouldn't mind if they managed to reintroduce the basic functional mechanics with a better explanation, and well, making it Wii U chat, the gamepad would allow for power shifting to retain the same basic functionality from the DS game. Hell, since they're planning to port DS games to the system, they could experiment with it.

Yeah I don't care what explanation or context you give to Peach having super powers based around excessive emotion, it's still sexist. The concept would never have even come up with a male character.

It's like making a game with a black Mario character where Bowser poisons the Mushroom Kingdom's grape soda supply. "Oh, it's not racist, Blario is the hero because he hates grape soda and is the only person who doesn't drink any!"

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah I don't care what explanation or context you give to Peach having super powers based around excessive emotion, it's still sexist. The concept would never have even come up with a male character.

It's like making a game with a black Mario character where Bowser poisons the Mushroom Kingdom's grape soda supply. "Oh, it's not racist, Blario is the hero because he hates grape soda and is the only person who doesn't drink any!"

The closest you get is only ever single emotion cases, and well, its usually played up to indicate the male characters badassness or whatever, rather than the clearly silly nature intended in Peach's game. Driven by rage, driven by revenge, the usual malarkey. Not quite 'by all your emotions combined, I am Princess Peach!'

Not as if justifying random powers should be hard in the Mario series either. Just find some way to make the evidently power giving items of the mushroom kingdom into something semi-permanent, or the like.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Bass Bottles posted:

So Peach...is a Sith?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Then Shovel Knight it is.

It's a play on words like Mega Man is Rock Man, what beats rock?? Shovel what beats man? Knights

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I can't really find a straight answer to this but I'm leaning no. If I start a Wii game (Xenoblade) on Wii U, will I be able to transfer the saves? I know Wii U to Wii U isn't available at the moment, but I'm not sure how data management works with a Wii save on a Wii U console.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah Shovel Knight is really good, definitely worth 15 bux.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I can't really find a straight answer to this but I'm leaning no. If I start a Wii game (Xenoblade) on Wii U, will I be able to transfer the saves? I know Wii U to Wii U isn't available at the moment, but I'm not sure how data management works with a Wii save on a Wii U console.

Only if you do a complete transfer, I think.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think you should be able to bring a Xenoblade save over by SD card, unless Xenoblade is one of the games that doesn't normally allow data to be moved or copied (SSBB is like that, for example).

Basically, if you can move a game's save data from Wii to Wii, you should be able to move it from Wii to Wii U as well.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Yes, you can move a Xenoblade save via SD. I've done it.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Even if that save is created on the Wii U? I honestly can't believe this is an issue in 2014, but my roommate and I both have Wii Us and at some point I'm sure we'll part ways and I'd rather retain my save. We only have one TV though, which is the issue. I guess I'll just switch them out when I want to play.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

When it's in Wii mode, the Wii U is literally functioning as a Wii, including the way it stores and transfers save data.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Excellent. Looks like I'm good to go.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nolgthorn posted:

Wii mote with Nunchuck is the single greatest most intuitive and fun game controller of all time. Waggle to make Mario spin feels like sun setting on an autumn day, pointing at stuff on the screen rather than touching a literal screen with your greasy fingertip or pen, is easier and less distracting.

Thank god some of you aren't designers, and I'm dying for Super Mario Galaxy 3 over here.

So stop dissing those things, bastards.

I loved the way Mario Galaxy used the pointer. Collecting/ shooting star bits, aiming Yoshis tongue, and the bubble portions were great and couldn't be done nearly as well with, say, touchscreen or another stick. It was quick and accurate and didn't make you take your fingers off the important buttons.

Shake to spin I can take or leave. At no point did it feel wrong, but I can't imagine a button not working just as well.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The Galaxy games are fantastic and still look great. They don't need HD reskins, but we do need a Super Mario U-niverse.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
They need to release Mother 3 in America and put it on a disc with Mother 2 just like they did with Kirby and Mario.

I mean how much is it going to cost to translate a GBA game at this point?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Just started a newgame+ in Shovel Knight because I craved more. What does it change besides fewer checkpoints?

I also just found out that you can destroy checkpoints apparently. They..... stop working, though, of course.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 13, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I mean how much is it going to cost to translate a GBA game at this point?

More than it did back when the GBA was actively being developed for. They'd have to pull out the whole GBA toolchain and stuff from the archives, and developers won't be used to working on the hardware anymore either.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

They should just use the fan translation and cash in

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Co-op Starfox? Maybe then Fox's teammates won't be so freaking useless.

You say that now, but I'm going to keep hitting the button on the D-pad that sends "Do a barrel roll!" to everyone playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Mother 3 will most likely never see an outside of Japan release due to the game's subject matter being questionable for western audiences. There's a group of characters that make Tingle look straight, the story is too dark and emotional for it to be in a Nintendo game, and for the simple fact that it is a GBA game. We should be lucky they even released Earthbound for Virtual Console, I bet they even did grudgingly. As the Robot Chicken E3 sketch shows, Nintendo really doesn't like the Western Mother fanbase, I can see why, they are pretty obnoxiously obsessed with the series. It's also possible Mother is the red-headed step-child of Nintendo franchises. So yeah, don't count on a Western Mother 3 release anytime soon.

• Locked thread