Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I really wanted Silent Hill 2 to at least be watchable but it is just incompetent. It's a real letdown.

Not enough of the talented people from the first stuck around, so the second one is just a mishmash of stupid, overblown bullshit. If the first one is an homage to 1970s Satanic-panic cult movies, the second one (poorly) homages Slipknot music videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I didn't just want to take some lovely mirror shots. I wanted to put effort into this and take fun pictures. A picture of me just standing there in shorts is boring. Why would anyone want to see that?

Ah yes, the classic "I wanted to put effort into this but instead I did nothing" excuse.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CPL593H posted:

I didn't just want to take some lovely mirror shots. I wanted to put effort into this and take fun pictures. A picture of me just standing there in shorts is boring. Why would anyone want to see that?

Catharsis?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

CPL593H posted:

Everyone wants to see that. Post the god drat shorts.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Yeah, I really wanted Silent Hill 2 to at least be watchable but it is just incompetent. It's a real letdown.

It astounds me because it's just terrible in every way, in a way that would be obvious to the people on set/camera. How does it continue to be that bad as they shoot it for weeks and weeks? Who put millions of dollars into it? If you're making something obviously that bad, how do you carry on? If you're the director, why do you carry on? If you're the producer, how do you allow it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ah yes, the classic "I wanted to put effort into this but instead I did nothing" excuse.

For me it's more like "If I can't do it properly it's not worth doing".

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Too bad someone cant mail you a drivers license or mail boston a public transportation system.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Too bad someone cant mail you a drivers license or mail boston a public transportation system.

Or a teleportation device because I live 50 miles away from Boston.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

CPL593H posted:

For me it's more like "If I can't do it properly it's not worth doing".

This doesn't explain your posts

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

whatever town you live in does possess a bus though I assume.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

They have apparently uploaded twelve thousand videos of professionally shot concert footage from the last five decades.

I can't wait to watch endless hours of this poo poo when I get home. I'm at my in laws and they live way out in the woods and have a "download allowance" it's barbaric.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well you definitely don't need anyone to mail you an excuse making machine because clearly you got access to one of them BURN

:chord::hf::smuggo:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Or a teleportation device because I live 50 miles away from Boston.

Long on excuses, short on shorts.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

You can get to Cambridge to meet John Waters but you can't show some goddamn PATRIOTISM! :911:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'll get around to it eventually.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why is it such a big deal to take a picture of yourself wearing shorts? Haha

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

echoplex posted:

It astounds me because it's just terrible in every way, in a way that would be obvious to the people on set/camera. How does it continue to be that bad as they shoot it for weeks and weeks? Who put millions of dollars into it? If you're making something obviously that bad, how do you carry on? If you're the director, why do you carry on? If you're the producer, how do you allow it?

Sunk money. At some point, you can't just scrap the whole thing, but clearly nobody involved is giving 100% to this piece of poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why is it such a big deal to take a picture of yourself wearing shorts? Haha

If we're being particularly honest, at this specific moment I just don't have the energy or motivation to do that. I literally am having a hard time sitting in a chair typing right now.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

As someone who has both depression and OCD, I can attest that to some this actually makes perfect sense.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

A picture of myself...wearing cloths? Well if it doesnt have the production value of a michael bay movie it just isn;t worth doing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

If we're being particularly honest, at this specific moment I just don't have the energy or motivation to do that. I literally am having a hard time sitting in a chair typing right now.
I mean I understand lack of motivation very well as I, too, suffer from that quite often. But if Gen Chat had been bugging me for, what, months? to take a picture, I'd probably have done it already.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kevar posted:

This is the most I have ever wanted to fight a person over the internet.
And I loving LOVE Mario 3, I just love SMW that much more.

Since I'm prolly the cause of the thread's title change, I'll defend myself. I don't think SMW sucks in any capacity; it's two major knocks for me are the sameness of the environments (contrast with SMB3, which every world had a different, salient style/gimmick) and the walking-on-ice platforming.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I mean I understand lack of motivation very well as I, too, suffer from that quite often. But if Gen Chat had been bugging me for, what, months? to take a picture, I'd probably have done it already.

Yeah, but there's actually important poo poo that I can't even manage so taking a picture for the internet is low on my list of priorities.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

echoplex posted:

Silent Hill 2 is just terrible. It looks ok but it is SO BADLY written and acted and directed. Just entirely incompetent at every level. How does this happen!?

Thought you were talking about the game for a moment and was about to cut a mug. Silent Hill 2 is one of like, three games that have artistic merit in the conventional sense.

As for the movies, I haven't watched it myself but I've heard that the fan edit of the first one is possibly the only time that a fan edit of a film was ever good. If I'm remembering right, the main changes were cutting out the male lead entirely, removing a lot of the dumb beginning, and altering the ending.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I Before E posted:

My favorite part of 6 Flags (the one in Missouri) was the DC Comics area that had the Bullet logo and the Morrison Justice League in 2012 or so.

1) That's Six Flags St. Louis to you, buddy (even though it is about 45 minutes southwest of St. Louis)

2) How can you say that about the park with the Screamin Eagle.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Silent Hill 2 is one of like, three games that have artistic merit in the conventional sense.

That's a silly thing to say.

But yeah, I had hoped maybe the second film was getting poo poo on because of fan expectations or the usual hyperbole where everything has to be the best or worst thing ever, but it actually is entirely worthless. I can't even see it as worth-while camp, or "so bad its good", or whatever.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 12, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zVxTeflon posted:

A picture of myself...wearing cloths? Well if it doesnt have the production value of a michael bay movie it just isn;t worth doing.

Honestly, if I wake up and there isn't a bunch of a pretty highly contrasted women dancing around fire and sparks, I will not get up in the morning.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

1) That's Six Flags St. Louis to you, buddy (even though it is about 45 minutes southwest of St. Louis)

2) How can you say that about the park with the Screamin Eagle.

I don't know what the Screamin Eagle is.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I Before E posted:

I don't know what the Screamin Eagle is.

Its probably very patriotic. Unlike you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

That's a silly thing to say.

Right, no games have artistic merit.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Right, no games have artistic merit.

Preferable.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

MisterBibs posted:

Since I'm prolly the cause of the thread's title change, I'll defend myself. I don't think SMW sucks in any capacity; it's two major knocks for me are the sameness of the environments (contrast with SMB3, which every world had a different, salient style/gimmick) and the walking-on-ice platforming.

It's not exactly a controversial opinion, a lot of people seem to prefer SMB3 to SMW. The former definitely does a better job of making every world feel unique (though I wish they'd have done more with the premise of the Giant World), and set the standard for all later Mario games. Even so I'd argue that SMW is better due to its tighter controls and the longer levels allowing from some pretty interesting gimmicks.

Really, SMW's biggest flaw is that the SNES has some of the best 2D platformers ever made (Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 2 and Super Metroid), so it doesn't look as good by comparison. SMB3 on the other hand is easily the best platformer on the NES, aside from maybe Castlevenia 3.

Also, if you don't mind playing romhacks, you should give Super Demo World a try. It basically takes the SMB3 aestethic and combines it with the SMW engine. Lots of fun and absolutely massive, there's 120 exits compared to SMW's 96.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I prefer Super Mario World because I think I actually beat it once.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mario Galaxy 1/2 are the best Mario games anyways :colbert:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Mario Galaxy 1/2 are the best Mario games anyways :colbert:

From an empirical standpoint it's probably actually mario kart dbl dash

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The Screaming Eagle is a pretty rad old school wooden coaster with lots of hills that is pretty much non-stop weightlessness sensation.

I'm back in STL right now for a kid's bday party and I'm six beers deep. Yeehaw.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I dug up and beat SMW like a month ago and for some reason it was wayyy harder than when I was a kid.

echoplex posted:

There's not really any way to retool once you're actually filming is there, short of spending a lot of money to delay shooting and take time to figure things out?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

From an empirical standpoint it's probably actually mario kart dbl dash

Mario Kart 8 is 10,000,000x better than Double Dash, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DNS posted:

I dug up and beat SMW like a month ago and for some reason it was wayyy harder than when I was a kid.

Video games are like this. I beat Metroid as a kid and I don't think I'm ever gonna beat it again.

GonSmithe posted:

Mario Kart 8 is 10,000,000x better than Double Dash, though.

If it's post-gamecube I really couldn't give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

The Screaming Eagle is a pretty rad old school wooden coaster with lots of hills that is pretty much non-stop weightlessness sensation.

Oh right, I almost went on that, but didn't because I can't stand rollercoasters.

• Locked thread