Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Crazy Mike posted:

The APFT is hard. If it was easy we wouldn't have any failures. I'm here to have fun and be the armyest guy in the unit, but I hate seeing people screwed over because they have less physical abilities than the more athletic among us, and I hate people who are naturally athletic thinking since its easy for them it is easy for everyone.

friend of the family are you trolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
A friend is moving to San Diego and can't take all this stuff with him so he gave it to me.

Now I have 3 barbells, 10 45# plates, 4 35s, 6 25s, 7 10s, and 4 5s. I also have a bunch of kettle bells and random other things. I can start my own Crossfit gym :downs:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Fart Sandwiches posted:

A friend is moving to San Diego and can't take all this stuff with him so he gave it to me.

Now I have 3 barbells, 10 45# plates, 4 35s, 6 25s, 7 10s, and 4 5s. I also have a bunch of kettle bells and random other things. I can start my own Crossfit gym :downs:

You're going to be neck deep in crossfit babes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Except they'll all have broken backs so they won't be able to do anything.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Just like I like em

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Crazy Mike posted:

I feel every soldier that is involuntarily administratively separated is a failure of leadership as well as a failure of the soldier, and your simplistic dismissive attitude is part of the problem instead of the solution. If you are sufficiently motivated, you can get in army strong shape. The challenge I'm having is figuring out how to motivate someone so far below the bell curve so that they can achieve the standard.

I am trying to be the example going from APFT failure to super Swoledier, but I am not seeing much improvement or intensity from the deficient soldiers who need it the most.

And while budgetary concerns may make admin separations attractive, it's not fun for the soldiers in question, or me having to witness it. You may be right that APFT failures do not belong in the army, but I would rather raise them up than admin sep them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You want to know what being in Army strong shape is like? It's called going to Iraq and doing dismounted patrols for 8 hours, in 120-130 degree heat, with 70-90 pounds of equipment on your chest. Or it's doing mountain ops in Afghanistan for 10 hours. You want to know what happens if you can't do that? You get rotated out and you get stuck burning poo poo all day or cleaning the weapons for the dudes that can hack it. I know this, because I've seen it. If you can't hack it, you'll get someone loving killed and it probably won't be just yourself. If you joined an organization that has a core requirement of being in good physical shape it's not a loving secret that you don't belong if you can't reach the minimum standards. You can't say that it's a surprising development, either, because we've been at war for nearly 14 goddamn years.

The biggest mistake the Army made in the last decade is letting people like you in during the surge. People that probably wouldn't have been let in prior or post surge. It's you, you're the problem.

You know why most combat arms units have a 270+ score requirement? Because that's still not the level of fitness necessary but it shows that you're putting at least some effort into it. I've seen literal amputees score a 270. Being in good physical shape is just about the easiest thing in the entire Army, because at some point they had standards and wouldn't let fat, worthless fuckups in.

If you can't score a 180 and you aren't recovering from serious physical injury, it's time the military parted ways with you. That's not being motarded, that's not being bitter, that's a goddamn fact. It's like joining the NFL and not knowing how to play football. You don't have to be a natural athlete, you don't have to be some fitness superstar that spends 4 hours in the gym all day, you just have to not be a lazy sack of poo poo playing COD all day eating pizza in the barracks.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Wow way to make loving VASUDUS angry.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Vasudus just derailed his Orient Express in Train Simulator, literally shaking with rage.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

The biggest mistake the Army made in the last decade is letting people like you in during the surge. People that probably wouldn't have been let in prior or post surge. It's you, you're the problem.

It was happening before the surge, too. Hell, when I was going through MEPS in 2002 it seemed like everyone had a waiver for something.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Did this poo poo show of a workout yesterday:

500m row
50 pushups
30 hang cleans 155# (the version with the barf inducing front squat)
300x jump rope singles
30 deadlifts 155# (the easy part)
50 wall ball shots w/ 20# ball
500m row

24 minute time cap

finished 82m shy of completing the whole thing on the final row.

Then did a couple sets of pullups. after resting a good 10 minutes.

Oh yeah I also squatted 315 for 18 reps the day before

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Haven't done legs in three weeks before yesterday, this is me today irl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roqJSfDuWt4

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

How long do you guys stretch for? Woke up to a hosed left shoulder and I rested yesterday, no problems until today. Currently doing about five minutes stretching and running a couple km, before and after. That's been sweet for the last ~forever but I've been maintaining a 5kg (usually 2.5kg, it's probably this but I'm interested in what others think) gain increase on everything except military press over the past week. Stretch more C/D?

e; On second thought, that is a stupid question; just going to do it and find out. Interested to hear how long you guys stretch for though.

Click Beelay fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 11, 2014

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Usually 10-15 minutes before a workout and about the same after.

I don't time myself, I just have a list of warmups/stretches, and usually take my time through it.

Also, OHP is usually one of the slower lifts people improve on. Don't worry about it too much. Make sure you're hitting side and rear delts during your workout to balance you shoulder girdle, and hit the lats and shoulders pretty good during your warmup routine.

hit 245x5 on bench today after some goofy crossfit workout that had a ton of shoulder work yesterday

wooooord

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Real good poo poo, thanks. Delts and lats are sorted during accessory work but I've been back on a custom 5x5, based on SS, for a while (5/3/1 is for you intense motherfuckers who can handle full sets at 110kg on an off day, took me all of three-four weeks to realize that I'm not there yet) so they're also covered in the compounds.

Shoulder's sweet now, dunno if it was the workout or the glenfiddich but :cheers:

Click Beelay fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 11, 2014

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Are we talking static or dynamic stretching? 'Cause static stretching before pretty much any physical activity is a no-no. But warmup sets has worked pretty much fine for me over the past couple years, just the basic 5/3/1 style. 40% for 5, 50% for 5, 60% for 3, whatever the main compound is for 3x5 (1x5 deads). After the main compound it's just right into whatever else, unless I'm doing completely different body parts in the same workout like bench and squat, in which case I'd do the same warm-ups for squats too.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Im running way too much. I'm running 13:30 2 miles hungover.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Ashmole posted:

Im running way too much. I'm running 13:30 2 miles hungover.

I wish I had your problems. :)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I use my warm up sets as a sort of dynamic stretching for the lift I'm doing on that given day. I start off light with sets of volume. I do this for about 5-6 sets before starting my working weights.

So for something like deadlift, my warm up weights are from 150 lb to about 380 lb divided up between 5 or 6 sets. Seems to work alright for me.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
back squat 335 for reps

got 17

Gonna have noodle legs for crossfit tomorrow

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Click Beelay posted:

How long do you guys stretch for? Woke up to a hosed left shoulder and I rested yesterday, no problems until today. Currently doing about five minutes stretching and running a couple km, before and after. That's been sweet for the last ~forever but I've been maintaining a 5kg (usually 2.5kg, it's probably this but I'm interested in what others think) gain increase on everything except military press over the past week. Stretch more C/D?

e; On second thought, that is a stupid question; just going to do it and find out. Interested to hear how long you guys stretch for though.

Late but here comes my armchair athletic trainer post

Shoulders are loving delicate. Especially once injured. Don't gently caress around with your shoulders. Warm that poo poo up before lifting and obviously do your proper warmup lifts for poo poo like benchpress or overhead press.

The most important stretching is dynamic, static, and PNF. There are a ton of different types of stretching but that's all you should really care about. Static is what you're used to. Dynamic is things like leg swings and such. Dynamic is usually part of a warmup and static should never be done when you're cold and only at the end of workouts. There's evidence that static stretching before a workout decreases your strength. If you must static before at least do a warmup. You should always warmup before you start lifting. 3-5 minutes of biking and some dynamic stretching should be good.

PNF stretching is arguably the most effective form of stretching. You shouldn't do it more than 3 times a week as it is seen as a form of strength training. There's different guidelines you'll find online. Ideally you'd do it with a partner or towel or band or some poo poo. Anyways, you stretch for 20 seconds or so and then flex against the resistance/contract the muscles/area being stretched for 3-6 seconds, relax, and then go deeper into the stretch. Repeat this 3-4 times per stretch.

You should always hold a stretch for 15-30 seconds. From what I've read there's been no proven benefit of holding for longer than 30. But go for at least 30. I'd do each stretch 2-4 times holding for at least 30 seconds.

If you got general shoulder aches you might want to look into something like a knobble for hitting those spots. Also doubles as a buttplug

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Knobble-Massager-Stimulator/dp/B000NWBKIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402701815&sr=8-1&keywords=knobble

or something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-Company-10100000003-Buddy/dp/B0006VJ6TO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402701855&sr=8-3&keywords=theracane

or maybe a lacrosse ball to use on a wall

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 14, 2014

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

I use my warm up sets as a sort of dynamic stretching for the lift I'm doing on that given day. I start off light with sets of volume. I do this for about 5-6 sets before starting my working weights.

So for something like deadlift, my warm up weights are from 150 lb to about 380 lb divided up between 5 or 6 sets. Seems to work alright for me.

Christoff posted:

Late but here comes my armchair athletic trainer post

Shoulders are loving delicate. Especially once injured. Don't gently caress around with your shoulders. Warm that poo poo up before lifting and obviously do your proper warmup lifts for poo poo like benchpress or overhead press.

The most important stretching is dynamic, static, and PNF. There are a ton of different types of stretching but that's all you should really care about. Static is what you're used to. Dynamic is things like leg swings and such. Dynamic is usually part of a warmup and static should never be done when you're cold and only at the end of workouts. There's evidence that static stretching before a workout decreases your strength. If you must static before at least do a warmup. You should always warmup before you start lifting. 3-5 minutes of biking and some dynamic stretching should be good.

PNF stretching is arguably the most effective form of stretching. You shouldn't do it more than 3 times a week as it is seen as a form of strength training. There's different guidelines you'll find online. Ideally you'd do it with a partner or towel or band or some poo poo. Anyways, you stretch for 20 seconds or so and then flex against the resistance/contract the muscles/area being stretched for 3-6 seconds, relax, and then go deeper into the stretch. Repeat this 3-4 times per stretch.

You should always hold a stretch for 15-30 seconds. From what I've read there's been no proven benefit of holding for longer than 30. But go for at least 30. I'd do each stretch 2-4 times holding for at least 30 seconds.

If you got general shoulder aches you might want to look into something like a knobble for hitting those spots. Also doubles as a buttplug

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Knobble-Massager-Stimulator/dp/B000NWBKIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402701815&sr=8-1&keywords=knobble

or something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-Company-10100000003-Buddy/dp/B0006VJ6TO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402701855&sr=8-3&keywords=theracane

or maybe a lacrosse ball to use on a wall

Cool, thanks for that. Shoulders were sweet after the workout following that post I made, think I was just being a pussy.

Before and after a workout I run a couple km and do the same 30 seconds per stretch thing I've been doing since high school rugby plus some new lower body stretches I picked up from MMA, I guess that's static stretching? Like you and holocaust bloopers suggested I do the standard (dynamic?) thing by doing warm up sets of every exercise at 45%/65%/85%. Will read up on the different types of stretching when I get home, always just assumed stretching was stretching but what you say makes sense. If the shoulder pain comes up again I'll skip the pre-workout static stuff and try more delts/lats accessory work before considering buying something like those, can see the merit though.

elite_garbage_man posted:

back squat 335 for reps

got 17

Gonna have noodle legs for crossfit tomorrow

You are loving crazy, great stuff.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Click Beelay posted:

Cool, thanks for that. Shoulders were sweet after the workout following that post I made, think I was just being a pussy.

Before and after a workout I run a couple km and do the same 30 seconds per stretch thing I've been doing since high school rugby plus some new lower body stretches I picked up from MMA, I guess that's static stretching? Like you and holocaust bloopers suggested I do the standard (dynamic?) thing by doing warm up sets of every exercise at 45%/65%/85%. Will read up on the different types of stretching when I get home, always just assumed stretching was stretching but what you say makes sense. If the shoulder pain comes up again I'll skip the pre-workout static stuff and try more delts/lats accessory work before considering buying something like those, can see the merit though.

Yeah static stretching is the typical touch your toes and hold. Static stretching is fine and you can do it whenever but you should always do it once you're warmed up and ideally after a workout. I mean if you want to do it before doing something like rugby I suppose that's fine. But for strength training it's best for after. Some form of dynamic stretches should always be part of your warmup. Also never bounce in a stretch.

Here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ghNKOH9To

As far as warming up before a lift I just use a warmup calculator app on my phone. Just warmup for all the major compound lifts.

quote:

The idea, for all lifts except the dead lift, is to take your working weight minus the bar (20kg/45 lbs) and use this as the weight to add. Then follow the scheme below:
2×5 with just the bar
1×5 with bar + 25% of weight to add
1×3 with bar + 50% of weight to add
1×2 with bar + 75% of weight to add
3×5 at full working weight

There's a ton of webbased warmup calculators you can use from your computer or home too.

If you're looking for flexibility PNF is best. That gives the most results faster. Although it's tough to do by yourself but you still can just using your own resistance or a stretching band.

This is a pretty popular warmup program, Agile 8

http://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8

but now it goes to 11

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask-joe/44-flexibilitymobility/302-joe-ds-qlimber-11q-flexibility-routine.html

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 14, 2014

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
work on 1rm for front squat

45x10
135x3
225x2
315x1
335x1
365x1

called it here because of the conditioning workout that lay ahead

400m run (ran together)
60 partner wall ball shots 20# (only alternating exercise of the day, 30x reps perperson)
150x jump rope per person
40x 75# shoulder press per person
30x jump squats per person
400m row per person

done with a partner, and each person completes the exercise before alternating

finished in 12 minutes flat including the time it took my workout buddy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My favorite one is at 1:38. It's the lack of drama that makes it so precious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T74Xek-pDLM

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
A lot earlier in this thread there was the link for the article "Why army wants me weak?" and it was about the importance of strength training for modern warfare. I've been watching the documentaries "Two weeks in hell" and "surviving the cut" and most of the PT that any of the people did in any of the episodes was running, swimming and calisthenics, and they did that poo poo a lot. I've also been reading Mark Lauren's "You are your own gym" bodyweight fitness book and the author is a Navy Seal and he preaches on calisthenics.

How come the article and all that special forces stuff are opposites of each other? I understand that a nomal soldier's job is very different from those other guys, but still, why such bare bones training is enough for these green beret dudes but regular soldiers are in need of heavy lifting? I think the only people who werte mentioned of lifting weights were the PJs, but there were no footage of them with barbells or anything.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You can't just base off what special ops dudes do on a fluff documentary showing trainees in the earliest stages of their respective career fields.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ManOfTheYear posted:

A lot earlier in this thread there was the link for the article "Why army wants me weak?" and it was about the importance of strength training for modern warfare. I've been watching the documentaries "Two weeks in hell" and "surviving the cut" and most of the PT that any of the people did in any of the episodes was running, swimming and calisthenics, and they did that poo poo a lot. I've also been reading Mark Lauren's "You are your own gym" bodyweight fitness book and the author is a Navy Seal and he preaches on calisthenics.

How come the article and all that special forces stuff are opposites of each other? I understand that a nomal soldier's job is very different from those other guys, but still, why such bare bones training is enough for these green beret dudes but regular soldiers are in need of heavy lifting? I think the only people who werte mentioned of lifting weights were the PJs, but there were no footage of them with barbells or anything.

The strength based stuff was more about practical needs of regular soldiers. Carrying heavy stuff, getting up and over walls, being blown up etc.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Depends on your MOS really. As a tanker, running is just a time waster...weights (and donuts) are more beneficial to us due to having to carry rounds, move stuff onto the tank, and having to pull people out of it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

CAP Barbell Olympic 2-Inch 45lb plate for $35

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643699

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

You got a place to deadlift?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ummm... that's a girl's bike, dude

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I have a similar curling station

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

You got a place to deadlift?

Yeah I just move the squat stands. Don't have a platform yet

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

ummm... that's a girl's bike, dude

You know I have like 200 kids right?

elite_garbage_man posted:

I have a similar curling station

C'mon man! Serious talk, I'm almost 40 and I had to take two months of rest so I could get rid of a nagging back injury. I'm actually trying 5/3/1 and I used a pretty conservative 1RM to start off with.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Horse stall mats dude. Cheap way to do that. That bar of yours might tear the gently caress out of your shins on account of the knurling being so tight towards the center. 5/3/1 is pretty cool. I may go back to it now that I've had 3 years of solid lifting done. I started it way too early.

If I had some sweet sweet officer pay, I'd get one of these. http://www.roguefitness.com/bar-jack

The powerlifting gym I go to has one similar to that one. It's loving amazing. I'm certain you could make one yourself.

bloops fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 16, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

God drat I wish I could find a powerlifting gym. It's all :siren: crossfit :siren:

I mean I guess that's where the money is but still it's a bummer. I'd love to get properly coached in real Olympic lifting too but it seems all those gyms are gone or turned into crossfit outside of big cities.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Christoff posted:

God drat I wish I could find a powerlifting gym. It's all :siren: crossfit :siren:

I mean I guess that's where the money is but still it's a bummer. I'd love to get properly coached in real Olympic lifting too but it seems all those gyms are gone or turned into crossfit outside of big cities.

Some CF gyms have olympic lifting coaches. Problem is that you'll still be paying the ludicrous CF gym fee. It's astonishing how those gyms get away with charging $100+ monthly fees.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Horse stall mats dude. Cheap way to do that. That bar of yours might tear the gently caress out of your shins on account of the knurling being so tight towards the center. 5/3/1 is pretty cool. I may go back to it now that I've had 3 years of solid lifting done. I started it way too early.

If I had some sweet sweet officer pay, I'd get one of these. http://www.roguefitness.com/bar-jack

The powerlifting gym I go to has one similar to that one. It's loving amazing. I'm certain you could make one yourself.

Yah horse mats are the plan. And yes deads are going to be painful with that bar. I'm just excited to be lifting at home instead of the base gym so I'll just wear long socks and suck it up.

I'm liking 5/3/1 so far because I find recovery to be easier using it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Some CF gyms have olympic lifting coaches. Problem is that you'll still be paying the ludicrous CF gym fee. It's astonishing how those gyms get away with charging $100+ monthly fees.

Haha are you kidding me? Look up your local "box" that poo poo is $200+ a month unless you do some loving 24 month commitment.

I almost wanted to ask if I could just get a membership and do my own thing off in the corner but I never realized how expensive it was (how much is rent on an industrial warehouse and buying tires and some barbells and bumper plates?) and that also kinda goes against the whole crossfit thing.

I have considered trying to seek out a professional coach somewhere and just get some good one on one so I can do my own thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

vulturesrow posted:

Yah horse mats are the plan. And yes deads are going to be painful with that bar. I'm just excited to be lifting at home instead of the base gym so I'll just wear long socks and suck it up.

I'm liking 5/3/1 so far because I find recovery to be easier using it.

I forget. You're old and need the recovery: :cheeky:

Christoff posted:

Haha are you kidding me? Look up your local "box" that poo poo is $200+ a month unless you do some loving 24 month commitment.

I almost wanted to ask if I could just get a membership and do my own thing off in the corner but I never realized how expensive it was (how much is rent on an industrial warehouse and buying tires and some barbells and bumper plates?) and that also kinda goes against the whole crossfit thing.

I have considered trying to seek out a professional coach somewhere and just get some good one on one so I can do my own thing

CF is great at parting idiots from their money.