Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It's worth installing both - they have totally different campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Been playing the Nowhere to Run trailer on a loop this entire afternoon.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I'm a boring man sometimes and I like to spruce up our teamspeak server with humorous channels.

I made this and I'm not sorry.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

It's worth installing both - they have totally different campaigns.

Apparently they're working on a next-gen update with both of the Nazi Zombie campaigns combined into a full game.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

api call girl posted:

Been playing the Nowhere to Run trailer on a loop this entire afternoon.

It was the first thing that popped into my head too

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm browsing through the game's sound files at the moment, there's some unused stuff from levels that gives the impression that they were supposed to be longer, e.g it seems like at one point there was supposed to be a driving section at the end of the Labour Camp level and some underwater section in the ship one.

Then there's this.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

GUI posted:

I'm browsing through the game's sound files at the moment, there's some unused stuff from levels that gives the impression that they were supposed to be longer, e.g it seems like at one point there was supposed to be a driving section at the end of the Labour Camp level and some underwater section in the ship one.

Then there's this.

Sweet jesus, I do love this game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

GUI posted:

Then there's this.

Hahaha its like he's channeling bubbles from trailer park boys.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

GUI posted:

Then there's this.

They so should of put that in the game

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Since we've talked about Doom 4, how about the other perpetual development Zenimax published FPS, Prey 2? Here's the e3 2011 video. Does anyone know anything about this game? Google didn't return much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufikwk7_AD0

EDIT: There's also a gameplay video or two around. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA5ufBg_LUo

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 11, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Prey 2's development was scrapped and the project was given to Arkane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought Prey 2 was basically dead.

Though if Arkane got their hands on it gods only know when it will come out and what it will be if it does.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I read about that but the information on it was vague. Hines (vp of marketing at Bethesda) denied it and kind of made it sound like prey 2 is the same game but arkane is working in the property. But no one knows I guess.

quote:

“No,” he told RPS when asked if Prey 2 has moved from Human Head to Arkane’s human hands. “All of that stuff, I have no idea where it came from. The Human Head Prey 2 thing is the Human Head Prey 2 thing. Arkane is over here, and they’re doing their thing, and that’s for them to work on. We’ll be ready to talk about what they’re working on when it gets closer to release.”

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 11, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Now that I'm well into my second play through, I have to admit that they've changed just enough between the timelines to make it worth doing both. Just did the prison escape, that was a lot of fun both times.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Prey 2 was almost completely done when it got scrapped. There was a post on 4chan from one the games artist about it that included a ton of screen shots. I can't find the imgur album that got compiled from it but if I do, I'll post it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Neo Helbeast posted:

Prey 2 was almost completely done when it got scrapped. There was a post on 4chan from one the games artist about it that included a ton of screen shots. I can't find the imgur album that got compiled from it but if I do, I'll post it.

Just because it was feature complete and had all the assets in place, doesn't mean it was "done".

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Continuing the derail, what was the reason for Prey 2 getting scrapped if it was indeed that close to completion?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Continuing the derail, what was the reason for Prey 2 getting scrapped if it was indeed that close to completion?

Not up to Bethesda standards, just as they said about Doom 4.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

GUI posted:

Then there's this.

Hahaha me and a friend got into a debate about whether he said conk or cock. This would have been perfect in the game.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

echronorian posted:

Um, isn't Doom 4 still a thing?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

echronorian posted:

As if Bethesda has standards.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

echronorian posted:

Must not have crashed enough.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Um, isn't Doom 4 still a thing?

Yes but they started over around Carmacks departure.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

PAnick posted:

Sorry, I can't. Not even a little hint since game-journalists can spin that into anything. Same reason game developers can't really have personal opinions about other games. You know how it goes:
Me: "I didn't care so much for Mass Effect 2"
Kotaku: "Machinegames/Bethesda/Zenimax hates Bioware!"

(Disclaimer: This was a bad humorous example. This is not my or my company's opinion.) :)

Edit: This reminded me of something I have been wondering for a while and I'm interested in what you guys have to say.
It's been a while since release and something I often read on forums and game sites is:
Wolfenstein is better then expected
People are surprised TNO isn't a bad game. Is that because of the Wolfenstein name, or the marketing? :)

These ones?

The guy who made them is away for a couple of weeks so I cant ask what kind of (weird) keyboard layout that is. Sorry.
Thanks a lot, man. I thought I also saw some computers with keyboards that had only a half-dozen/dozen giant buttons on them; if I didn't imagine them, I'd just assume there specialized controls for some sort of specialized engineering/scientific/military gizmo.

As for you other question, I think most everyone here covered the basic reasons (I think the revival of an old defunct franchise was a real concern, considering we've seen the newest iterations of Hitman and Thief flame out quite dramatically). However, I want to chip in with my two cents.

Unlike most everyone else here, the TNO trailers actually repelled me for the game. I'd played Return and '09, and I considered them about as objectionable as an Indiana Jones movie. They're silly, pulpy games that combine thrilling war stories with pulpy sci-fi nonsense, and they're perfectly fine that way. But when I started seeing the previews for TNO, I saw vivisected corpses, protestors being gunned down by SS troops, and asylum patients being liquidated. The politics and ins and outs of the Third Reich and our memory of it are such a complicated and long-running argument that is simply impossible to get into here, but the point is I thought the inclusion of these elements was crass. I felt including these elements was a level of historical exploitation too far. After seeing this, I began to expect TNO would include bullshit like Homefront's "Press X To Hide In Mass Grave" prompt, or go the Bioshock: Infinite route of including a bunch of this material, say "Boy the Nazis sure were bad, weren't they," then just not give a poo poo. It also didn't help that every time people commented about these issues on the forums I visited, the response from the community was usually something like "its just a video game get over yourself nerd lol." 'Course that last issue isn't a problem with TNO so much as its audience, but that's another story.

It was only after the game was released and I began to see critics, critics who'd been prepared to lambast the game for its historical content, start praising the game that I decided to try it out. After running through it twice, I have to say...I think the writing staff at Machine Games has to be commended, since they walked a tightrope I didn't think they could do. It's late and I don't think I could do it justice in a forum post, but TNO is a game where you guys decided they wanted to go (horrible overused word) darker, to avoid treating the Nazis as cartoon villains and show a bit more of why they have become the gold standard of evil. However, and this is a big however, it seems that the team always kept in mind that, at the end of the day, they were making a Wolfenstein game. They weren't making Shoah or Come and See, they were making a game where you once shot MechaHitler in the face. So most of the material presented was done to elicit a reaction from the player, rather than provide a documentary picture of the crimes of the Third Reich. That meant, in essence, that you guys knew when to hold and when to fold. There was a lot of violence, yes, but relatively little sadism. I've seen silly people online comparing the Belicia level to the extermination camps (though to be honest BJ did that too), but as I was actually playing through it, I found the amount of misery and brutality to be, if anything, restrained. If that level had been stripped of its direct historical allusions and plonked in Killzone or Resistance or something, I don't think it would have drawn any comment. Other issues, such as the Reich's eliminationist antisemitism and its initial colonial program to convert Eastern Europe from the Vistula to the Urals into the Reich's breadbasket while driving its Slavic and Semitic inhabitants to extinction, were not depicted at all (or were reimagined allohistorically in the Reich's African campaign).

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, I was afraid that TNO would be crass exploitation. After playing it, I felt that TNO was still exploitation, but a skilled exploitation, and I felt that the material was depicted with enough gravity and with a careful enough eye that I was able to accept the story. And I suppose that's good enough for my silly virtual toy.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So this blogger doesn't appear to like Wolfenstein The New Order very much.

:nws::nms: https://endzog.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/wolfenstein-new-order-pc-gamers-complain-why-cant-we-kill-jews/ :nws::nms:

Marked as NWS due to extreme antisemitism.

Crazy Neo Nazi posted:

ANOTHER WHITE-GENOCIDE PROMOTION BY THE JEWISH ZIONCORPORATIONS WHO OWN THE GAMING INDUSTRY AND HAVE TURNED IT INTO A BRAINWASHING EXCERCISE, WHO CONTROL ALL WESTERN GOVERNMENTS AND POLITICAL PARTIES, SECURITY SERVICES, THE MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX, ACADEME, EDUCATION, SCIENCE, FOOD, PHARMA, JUDICIAL SYSTEMS, INTERNET, HOLLYWOOD, ENTERTAINMENT, PUBLISHING, POLICING, SPORT, FASHION AND VERY IMPORTANTLY THE INTERNATIONAL JEWSMEDIA.

Crazy Neo Nazi posted:

Jews crowd out Internet game forums where they salivate at the idea of killing Whites. Im calling in sick to work today so I can kill loads of stinking nazis lol is an example comment.

Another Crazy Neo Nazi in the comments section posted:

Another excellent article, I had no idea about this game or anything like it, thanks for bringing this badly overlooked but most important issue with these games to our attention!

:negative: I'm going to try and cheer myself up by shooting some Nazis.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ludicro posted:

:nws::nms: https://endzog.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/wolfenstein-new-order-pc-gamers-complain-why-cant-we-kill-jews/ :nws::nms:

Holy gently caress, what the gently caress am I reading? I mean this nut even thinks the moon landings is fake.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

People aren't celebrating killing whites, they're celebrating killing goddamn motherfuckin' Nazis (and rightly so).

It's arguably my favorite pastime, and I will never, ever get tired of it.

Way to miss the point, neo-nazi shithead.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That guys photo shops are sort of amazing. I mean they're awful, but wow.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

echronorian posted:

I cant :stare: enough. What in all gently caress!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

echronorian posted:

I like how he has done Frau Engel up as an agent of the jews promoting abortions. The same Frau Engel who is the secondary antagonist of the game, leader of a concentration camp, and aryan as all gently caress.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ludicro posted:

I like how he has done Frau Engel up as an agent of the jews promoting abortions. The same Frau Engel who is the secondary antagonist of the game, leader of a concentration camp, and aryan as all gently caress.

They is by far my favorite one. That hat :magical:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ludicro posted:

I like his long bitter rants about the crysis series, mostly because the main character is or was black.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pengun101 posted:

I like his long bitter rants about the crysis series, mostly because the main character is or was black.

He is?

First game you play as invisible faceless soldier man, second game you play as Jason Statham, third game you play as some random that prophet stuffed into his spacesuit before he died.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

He is?

First game you play as invisible faceless soldier man, second game you play as Jason Statham, third game you play as some random that prophet stuffed into his spacesuit before he died.

Sorta, you are some dude in crysis2, that uses Prophets suit, eventually the suite sorta sybiotes with you and you become prophet. its dumb.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pengun101 posted:

Sorta, you are some dude in crysis2, that uses Prophets suit, eventually the suite sorta sybiotes with you and you become prophet. its dumb.

So... he doesn't like that your... brain... is black..?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Ludicro posted:

:stonklol:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This Game Enrages Fascists

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Hey so how exactly do I solve enigma codes? I have the peices for the first code but I'm not sure where to start. Everything I find online just gives me answers but I want to solve them myself.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I found this if you want to try it.

quote:

To solve Code n, you will need to do the following:

First row: Put n in the first column. To get the value of the next column, add n to the current column's value. If the value exceeds 9, use the digital root.

Second row: To get the current column's value, subtract the value of the first row's same column from 9.

0 is never part of the code. Each column adds up to either 9 or 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
^^^ Don't look at that if you want to "actually solve" them.

Moochewmoo posted:

Hey so how exactly do I solve enigma codes? I have the peices for the first code but I'm not sure where to start. Everything I find online just gives me answers but I want to solve them myself.

This guide is good about working up through gradual hints: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=266140518

If you have some of the tumblers that are "stuck", that's not part of the puzzle. It's a bug: http://steamcommunity.com/app/201810/discussions/0/540744935086557844/

• Locked thread