Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Cardiovorax posted:

Don't feel bad, a lot of people feel the same way (me in particular.) Wolfe writes some awesome but also loving dense prose and he couldn't plot his way out of a wet paper bag. The order of events doesn't really make sense to most people until you've read the books at least twice or so.

It's funny, because after reading his more recent poo poo like Home Fires and The Land Across, I finally understand how the people who make this complaint feel. Those books have some fantastic prose, but just feel like scattershot messes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Popular Human posted:

It's funny, because after reading his more recent poo poo like Home Fires and The Land Across, I finally understand how the people who make this complaint feel. Those books have some fantastic prose, but just feel like scattershot messes.
Glad someone does, I was starting to feel dumb because everyone keeps telling me how awesome he is and I just can't see it. :unsmith:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Wolfe does love his meandering plots. I remember even giving up on a shortstory of his when it took a detour into what felt like just weird, dense nothing happening after he introduced some really cool and interesting stuff at the beginning of the story.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Popular Human posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but the World Fantasy Award nominees for 2014 were announced a few days ago. The books up for best novel are:

Richard Bowes, Dust Devil on a Quiet Street
Marie Brennan, A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent
Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Sofia Samatar, A Stranger in Olondria
Helene Wecker, The Golem and the Jinni
Gene Wolfe, The Land Across

Of the six, I've only read the Gaiman and the Wolfe, and neither of them endeared themselves to me very much. Any of the others particularly good? I've never even heard of Dust Devil or A Stranger in Olondria, although the latter looks really interesting.

I enjoyed The Golem and the Jinni quite a bit as a low key inversion of the urban fantasy genre (a golem and a jinni find themselves in New York and are forced to adapt). It's lower on action or political thrillmance, but functions as a solid character-driven plot. I'll check out some of these other books too, though everything I've heard about The Ocean at the End of the Lane makes it sound disappointing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Anyone got opinions on "A Natural History of Dragons?" It sounds like the kind of silly fake-serious Discworldy kind of fantasy I enjoy, but the title doesn't really say much by itself.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I just finished all three Ambergris books by Jeff Vandermeer, and I enjoyed them unlike anything I've read in quite some time. In searching for something new to read in the same vein (not quite ready to tackle the Southern Reach books yet), I ran across this bundle:

StoryBundle's Weird Fiction Bundle

I've heard very good things about Jagannath, but that's about it. Has anyone read any of these?

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 13, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, but I'm gonna pay money for it so you don't have to. Just wait a week.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I remember enjoying a snippet of The Third Bear, but yeah, I just bought the pack too.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

No, but I'm gonna pay money for it so you don't have to. Just wait a week.
I picked it up already for the Jeff Vandermeer alone, but I'd be curious if you think any of the other books are worth reading. The only other "weird fiction" books I've read are by China Mieville, but the subgenre is kind of intriguing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's cool, I already have it. I was gonna read it all anyway, so if you can't be arsed just wait a moment.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sorry, just to direct briefly back to the Gene Woolfe chat: If I loved "Book of the New Sun" and "Fifth Head of Cerberus", will like enjoy "Lands Across"? The premise sounds like something I'd enjoy...

For the record, I also liked Ghormengast, so I don't mind my prose dense.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Expanse TV series has its first cast member. Thomas Jane will be playing Detective Miller:

Personally I pictured Miller as Stephen Rea:

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
Yeah, in the books he has a "sad basset hound face" so your suggestion fits, but I'm sure Jane will be an awesome Miller

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up for fans of urban fantasy.

Finished up The Long Way Down by Craig Schaefer and it was surprisingly good. Bad guys are irredeemable assholes, good guys are kinda sorta good guys but not halo wearing jerks, and the flow of the book is surprisingly good.

Weirdly enough, when I started the book I was thinking "This... this kinda sucks man." but I kept reading through and once the plot officially kicked in it was a hell of a ride. Just bought the sequel.

Worth checking out if you are looking for something more like Stephen Blackmoore than Jim Butcher.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

The Expanse TV series has its first cast member. Thomas Jane will be playing Detective Miller:

We don't like TV-watchin' types round these parts, son :clint:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

House Louse posted:

We don't like TV-watchin' types round these parts, son :clint:

And I hear these homos even have 'e-readers' to read their books? I only read the finest vellum and store my 8 000 books in my family library in the west wing of our manor. What Philistines.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
My first reaction was 'He's too good looking to play Miller', although I'm sure he'll do a great job! :)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Azathoth posted:

I just finished all three Ambergris books by Jeff Vandermeer, and I enjoyed them unlike anything I've read in quite some time. In searching for something new to read in the same vein (not quite ready to tackle the Southern Reach books yet), I ran across this bundle:

StoryBundle's Weird Fiction Bundle

I've heard very good things about Jagannath, but that's about it. Has anyone read any of these?

I haven't read Tainaron and I've only read Leena Krohn in Finnish but she's a cool author and writes some really great and unsettling weird fiction.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

anathenema posted:

There's a couple of links out there, but Chuck Wendig has some good write-ups on the subject.

Wendig is a loving idiot and loves talking poo poo about selfpub authors and Howey in particular.
gently caress Wendig and his stupid writing advice is basically what I'm saying.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

That petition is pretty stupid, though.

Neurosis posted:

And I hear these homos even have 'e-readers' to read their books? I only read the finest vellum and store my 8 000 books in my family library in the west wing of our manor. What Philistines.

Vellum? Family library? Manor? Watch out when the revolution comes, comrade:ussr:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ravenkult posted:

Wendig is a loving idiot and loves talking poo poo about selfpub authors and Howey in particular.
gently caress Wendig and his stupid writing advice is basically what I'm saying.

I don't know about his stances on other things (and quite frankly I can't really bring myself to care about bad things said about self publishing) but that writeup sounded good to me. I mean, I use Amazon a lot but dang that petition really makes me cringe. It's really embarrassing.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Srice posted:

I don't know about his stances on other things (and quite frankly I can't really bring myself to care about bad things said about self publishing) but that writeup sounded good to me. I mean, I use Amazon a lot but dang that petition really makes me cringe. It's really embarrassing.

It's probably not within the scope of the thread, I just find Wendig's multiple posts about it smug and devoid of value. He puts self publishing down, clearly sides with Hatchette and then ends every post with ''Let's just all get along!'' and his readers eat that poo poo up.

Anyway, I'm part of a new book bundle type thing, which also includes a box set of the Demon Squad books someone mentioned upthread.

http://arcanebundle.com/

e: wrong link

ravenkult fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 13, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Anyway, I'm part of a new book bundle type thing, which also includes a box set of the Demon Squad books someone mentioned upthread.

http://arcanebundle.com/

e: wrong link

This needs, I dunno, clickable links with descriptions and writing samples? Like that Weird Fic bundle? It's such an obvious omission I am amazed they didn't do it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Megazver posted:

This needs, I dunno, clickable links with descriptions and writing samples? Like that Weird Fic bundle? It's such an obvious omission I am amazed they didn't do it.
Click the left and right arrows?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

oh god they're making this into teevee

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Finished up The Long Way Down by Craig Schaefer and it was surprisingly good. Bad guys are irredeemable assholes, good guys are kinda sorta good guys but not halo wearing jerks, and the flow of the book is surprisingly good.

Weirdly enough, when I started the book I was thinking "This... this kinda sucks man." but I kept reading through and once the plot officially kicked in it was a hell of a ride. Just bought the sequel.

This fits with my assessment. I was honestly suprised by how not terrible it was.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, it kinda surprised me as well. The synopsis sounded like it would either be good, or horrible. Most of the time that leads to horrible.

Just finished up the second one, and it's better than the first. Can't wait to see what's going to happen with the world this dude is building.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I was also suprised because it is, as far as I can tell, entirely self-published.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Neurosis posted:

After humanity abandoned scrolls it was all downhill anyway. Scrolls you were forced to read from beginning to end. Nowadays everyone can just jump anywhere inside a book at any time, by simply selecting a page. That destroys the flow and sequence of a story! How should anyone learn anything any more if they don't know the beginning from the middle and the end from the begining?

And then, how easy you can transport a light, small book compared to a 10-20 kg scroll! This just means everyone can simply walk into a library and steal his heart's content. I tell you, books lead to crime, books will mean the youth will all become reckless thieves. A Greek philosopher from Damascus has clearly has proven this. No sir, civilization went out of the window at around 100 CE when these deplorable Romans and Egyptians insisted on cutting up scrolls and binding them together instead of keeping them on one long sheet like the gods intended.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 14, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

eriktown posted:

I was also suprised because it is, as far as I can tell, entirely self-published.

I think the secret is he actually uses an editor, and has an actual artist for the cover as opposed to some weird clipart thing.

I mean, it's a great book, and the second one is better, but it's actually professionally edited. That I can dig more than anything. Maybe it's the internet grammar nazi in me, but when I pay cash for a book and I see typos and homonym problems, I just want to give up and get a refund.

When you make your living writing, you need to do a good job of it.

That being said, he's also got a pretty nice world setup, and a pretty eclectic but awesome set of background and side characters that don't really "feel" like the same ol' same old generic types like "Oh he's an irish guy with red hair and a fiery temper!" or "Oh, she's a hippie chick that only wants peace and love and is a pacifist".

Maybe the best thing about the book so far is that for a storyline involving a succubus, there doesn't seem to be any "only exists to be fuckable" characters. Normally I hate, hate HATE sex in books because it isn't well written and tends to just be dumped into the story for the hell of it, ruining the flow. Didn't happen here.

Gonna be keeping an eye on this dude's work. I haven't been this happy about a new series since the 20p series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Was that book you're taking about in any of the bundles? It sounds interesting.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not that I know of. It's only 3-4$ on amazon though. The Long Way Down is the first book. I'd check out the sample and see if it's something you'd dig. It started out kinda "meh" for me, but I got pretty involved with the plot by the 3rd chapter or so.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Huh, I didn't even know that was a thing. Seems pretty ambitious to do on a TV budget, I would imagine that a lot of stuff is going to have to go out the window (most if not everything taking place in zero-G, all the Belters having weird skinny bodies, etc.) Jane is a pretty big name to pick up, though it seems that he might be a bit better suited to Holden than Miller.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

Huh, I didn't even know that was a thing. Seems pretty ambitious to do on a TV budget, I would imagine that a lot of stuff is going to have to go out the window (most if not everything taking place in zero-G, all the Belters having weird skinny bodies, etc.) Jane is a pretty big name to pick up, though it seems that he might be a bit better suited to Holden than Miller.

He's a cool guy but he's not that big, especially for TV in 2014. Besides, he already did TV - remember Hung?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Any recommendations for Sci-fi horror, specifically in some kind of Space setting? I've read Hull Zero-Three, Blindsight, and Ship of Fools. Doesn't necessarily need to be horror, merely creepy/dark also works.

Space Archaeology/exploration recommendations would also be cool too, I've read the first few of Jack McDevitt's Priscilla Hutchins series but they seemed to get worse as the series went on, though I really enjoyed The Engines of God.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mustang posted:

Any recommendations for Sci-fi horror, specifically in some kind of Space setting? I've read Hull Zero-Three, Blindsight, and Ship of Fools. Doesn't necessarily need to be horror, merely creepy/dark also works.

Try dipping in and out of this list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/17148.Space_horror

You've read the major recommendations for that subgenre though. Have you read any Alastair Reynolds?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Whalley posted:

It's popular, but I had a really hard time getting through it. It has really choppy, stilted prose that doesn't really add anything to the book, only distract you from the realization that all you're reading is a sex book about a totally misunderstood dark and steamy guy.

Like, there's all this poo poo connected to the book and going on in the book that would be interesting to me, but Jemisin opted to write mostly about how the tricky, scary, totally not-a-prototypical-YA-Vampire character was just super steamy and how the main character wants to gently caress him. It doesn't help that I picked it up after reading some Catherynne M. Valente stuff. Valente handles mythology like she invented the concept. Jemisin just... sort of... like, it's there, she is writing stuff about mythology, and making up her own stuff, but it's just... there.
I gave a lot more slack to hundred thousand kingdoms because on audible it has an excellent narrator who brings out the sassy trickster child in one of the immortals. It does come down in large part to having (iirc) slightly incestuous sex with Sephiroth but I had a good time with it, in large because it was not a big training montage before a boy became a wizard. YMMV drastically I guess however I wouldn't mind finishing the series sometime.

I also was not tragically scarred in my pubertal years by reading Twilight though so maybe that's a big hang up for some.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 15, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Yep, have read all of his stuff, wish he would revisit the Revelation Space universe.

Thanks for the link, I think I might check out Hyperion and Leviathan Wakes on the list. Surprised to see a Star Wars novel on there though.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Mustang posted:

Surprised to see a Star Wars novel on there though.
I'm not a fan of horror so I'm not good person to comment if it's good space horror, but if you mean Death Troopers it really is quite different from other SW books and could be what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mustang posted:

Yep, have read all of his stuff, wish he would revisit the Revelation Space universe.

Then be sure to check out Subterranean Press Magazine for Summer 2014 (it should be coming out in the next month or two) for "The Last Log of the Lachrymosa", a new, 15,000-word Rev Space short story!

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 15, 2014