Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, especially coming off DW8, it's hard not to be disappointed with DWGR. Just too boring and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is sw4 going to have cross play or even cloud cross saves?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Verviticus posted:

if you do the hypothetical stars and then the historical route for most factions they just sweep the dudes you saved under the rug but for the jin all of the guys are explicitly mentioned with how they stabbed you in the back. poor zhao :(

but goddamn everyone in this faction is so grossly unlikeable and all the cool dudes are dead so its just like "faceless man did thing to other faceless man". what a bad story :mad:

You imbecile.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jin is pretty betrayal filled in general. Like half the XL missions are random guys betraying you.

Also the mother (Zhang Chanhau or something) whose name I forgot, the woman with the wiregloves is cool. Her and Zhuge Dan (maybe Guo Hai) are the only characters I like from this faction

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Davincie posted:

Jin is pretty betrayal filled in general. Like half the XL missions are random guys betraying you.

Also the mother (Zhang Chanhau or something) whose name I forgot, the woman with the wiregloves is cool. Her and Zhuge Dan (maybe Guo Hai) are the only characters I like from this faction

I fail to understand how anyone could not like Sima Yi.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I really loved Jin just for being ludicrous cartoon villains. Well, except for Jia Chong, he was just a tad too ridiculous even compared to the rest of Jin for my tastes.

Similarly Chen Gong quickly became my favorite character just for being the quintessential evil Vizier. He's just so incredibly smarmy and seedy and I love it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Maleketh posted:

Or Wang Yuanji.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SW4 features no Pokemon. Sad.

Oh, hey, it does have a few transplants from Orochi 3 though! Shuten Doji!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Maleketh posted:

love to hate that imbecile

chen gong is my main guy. His cartoon villainy is like 10 times better then whole jin together.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

FredMSloniker posted:

Also, certain catchphrases... stood out.

Sadly lacks Wei's "Chaos".

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So I was just hammering my way through the 100 consecutive battles in ambition mode, and after my 85th battle a message popped up. Unfortunately I was too busy mashing the button to get to the next battle to actually see what that message said. Anyone know what happens when you do 85 consecutive battles?

e: It may have just been telling me that I had too many weapons.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 12, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GoatLord posted:

So I was just hammering my way through the 100 consecutive battles in ambition mode, and after my 85th battle a message popped up. Unfortunately I was too busy mashing the button to get to the next battle to actually see what that message said. Anyone know what happens when you do 85 consecutive battles?

e: It may have just been telling me that I had too many weapons.

If you're worried about having too much stuff, you can discard things in the middle of battle. I didn't figure this out until I had well over a hundred hours logged on DW8 Steam.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Can you discard horses though? I found out 15 battles in that my horse inventory was full and I couldn't figure that poo poo out

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Davincie posted:

Can you discard horses though? I found out 15 battles in that my horse inventory was full and I couldn't figure that poo poo out

Yep. In the Pause Menu, go to Officer Info and you can access your weapon and animal inventories. You can change animals, too. Even though you can't switch weapons in the middle of a stage, you can still discard them from the Confirm Weapons menu.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm playing DW5 for the first time and I have no idea what I'm doing nor what's going on. I'm killing all these dudes yet it keeps saying my side's morale keeps dropping? I'm slaughtering dudes left and right, how can my troops not consider that awesome?!? Fun button masher though.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm playing DW5 for the first time and I have no idea what I'm doing nor what's going on. I'm killing all these dudes yet it keeps saying my side's morale keeps dropping? I'm slaughtering dudes left and right, how can my troops not consider that awesome?!? Fun button masher though.

Because you're killing cannon fodder and the game knows it. You have to take down the enemy officers to gain morale.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

FredMSloniker posted:

This is rather belated, but no one else answered it that I saw: there's a 'manual' button on your Steam library page for the game.

Also, certain catchphrases... stood out.

(I thought about including 'ambition', but decided this contrast worked better. And I can't recall any one-word catchphrase for Wu.)

We need a full set for this which goes like
"Chaos." "Benevolence?" "Imbecile!" "Fire!" "IT'S LU BU!" *Lu bu cut down* "Chaos."...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think I want just "Benevolence?" "Fire!" "Benevolence?" "Fire!" "Benevolence?" "Fire!"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You guys forgot 'ambition.'

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"Strategy." Of course.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speedball posted:

"Strategy." Of course.

I love the way these games handle "strategy". It's basically magic, just having a strategist at your side will automatically make your army stronger even if you don't actually use any strategy.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Perestroika posted:

I love the way these games handle "strategy". It's basically magic, just having a strategist at your side will automatically make your army stronger even if you don't actually use any strategy.

Actually, having a strategist allows you to summon "ambush" troops wherever you want. I imagine that would make one highly sought-after.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Maleketh posted:

Actually, having a strategist allows you to summon "ambush" troops wherever you want. I imagine that would make one highly sought-after.

Yeah but anyone who spends enough time speaking to some nerd can learn to spawn ambush troops.

The real reason to get a strategist is A)Fire attacks and B)They are DnD Wizards, able to use any other ability with enough memorization time

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Perestroika posted:

I dunno, considering non-strategist generals tend to fall for things like "yell insults at them until they charge out of their secure fortress and into an obvious ambush" I can see why strategists are generally considered wizards.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, basically anything other than CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE!! was consider "strategy" back then.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sindai posted:

I dunno, considering non-strategist generals tend to fall for things like "yell insults at them until they charge out of their secure fortress and into an obvious ambush" I can see why strategists are generally considered wizards.

Then again you have poo poo like Zhuge Liang litterally summoning out-of-seasons winds, like what he did at the onset of Chi Bi.

Though, if the 2k10 show can be taken as evidence of a sort, strategy back then was really, really basic, yeah. One thing I love is how Cao Ren is referred to as a great, capable general, but every time we see him do something he's blundering into some trap.

A random aside: were books back then really just short things written on rolled up bamboo/wooden scrolls? How much information could you feasibly get across without having to resort to hundreds of volumes?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 12, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

nutranurse posted:

A random aside: were books back then really just short things written on rolled up bamboo/wooden scrolls? How much information could you feasibly get across without having to resort to hundreds of volumes?

No. You stack them to look like a box, not roll them up.

Otherwise, yeah. Pretty sure this is a copy of The Art of War.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Trollhawke posted:

We need a full set for this which goes like
"Chaos." "Benevolence?" "Imbecile!" "Fire!" "IT'S LU BU!" *Lu bu cut down* "Chaos."...
I could certainly make a bigger GIF, if there was demand for it. I kept that one to just the two because it was a nice back-and-forth without the GIF getting too ginormous.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I've just started playing DW8XLCE from steam. For the most part I get what is going on, even if the objectives in story mode don't quite make sense sometimes.
Such as: defend this capable general from getting murdered by trash mobs while clearing out these enemy generals across the map! Am I suppose to just let these guys fall and just focus on the green objectives?

-When talking about moves, people say things like c4 c2 or some such. I don't get what the C or the number means, or how to chain them together. Button mashing pretty much gets me through everything, but it feels shallow and unrewarding.

-I sometimes get items that say "infinity (something) full". They look like the medicine drops in ambition mode, but I can't seem to see if it makes any difference. What are those and what do they do?

-Is ambition mode suppose to be a total slog? I started with a level 1 Guan Yinping but it has been so slow going cause there are no good weapons ever. Officers start taking minutes to whittle down, god forbid they get block happy, then I'm there forever. Got any tips for starting out or maybe getting good weapons at low level?

-How should I deal with the time limit in ambition mode? Usually by the time the first duel comes by I only have time to head right for the main objective, ignoring most of whats on the map. There are a lot of bodies to slay am I mad I don't get to play around longer.

-Do I pursue Lu Bu? I got him to half health on the first mission with Cao Cao, but I died and said gently caress it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Broose posted:

I've just started playing DW8XLCE from steam. For the most part I get what is going on, even if the objectives in story mode don't quite make sense sometimes.
Such as: defend this capable general from getting murdered by trash mobs while clearing out these enemy generals across the map! Am I suppose to just let these guys fall and just focus on the green objectives?

-When talking about moves, people say things like c4 c2 or some such. I don't get what the C or the number means, or how to chain them together. Button mashing pretty much gets me through everything, but it feels shallow and unrewarding.

-I sometimes get items that say "infinity (something) full". They look like the medicine drops in ambition mode, but I can't seem to see if it makes any difference. What are those and what do they do?

-Is ambition mode suppose to be a total slog? I started with a level 1 Guan Yinping but it has been so slow going cause there are no good weapons ever. Officers start taking minutes to whittle down, god forbid they get block happy, then I'm there forever. Got any tips for starting out or maybe getting good weapons at low level?

-How should I deal with the time limit in ambition mode? Usually by the time the first duel comes by I only have time to head right for the main objective, ignoring most of whats on the map. There are a lot of bodies to slay am I mad I don't get to play around longer.

-Do I pursue Lu Bu? I got him to half health on the first mission with Cao Cao, but I died and said gently caress it.
- c1 (or "charge attack 1") means just pushing the heavy attack button, it usually does a guard breaking thing. c2 is pushing one light attack and then a heavy attack, that's usually a launcher. c3 is two light attacks and then a heavy attack, that's a forward multi-hit attack, or sometimes a grab. c4 is an area attack. Beyond that they're kind of a grab bag. There's no chaining of them really, except that you can follow stuff up from c2 because the enemy is airborne.

- dunno

- yes, Ambition mode is awful

- Ambition mode is awful

- no

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 13, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Broose posted:

I've just started playing DW8XLCE from steam.

1: Kill everything in your way, most generals can handle trash mobs but crumble against the weakest of officers.
2: C4 means Charge 4. I can't remember if that means hit attack 3 times and then charge attack, or if it's attack 4 times then charge, though.
3: It fills your infinity, of course! Aside from that I don't know.
4: Yes, but it gets better the more you murder.
5: Bodyguards with Gather Supplies.
6: Do not pursue Lu Bu :getin:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Don't play ambition mode before the story. The story will auto-level your unused characters to more or less appropriate stage levels, so if you finish a faction's story mode, most of its characters will be above level 20, some above 30.

AFTER that, go into ambition mode and enjoy your pre-leveled character. Chances are you'll have some three or four star weapons, too, so you don't hack away with like 5 attack.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Infinity FULL medicine just refills your Life and Musou to max.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Broose posted:

If you're starting out in Ambition mode (as in, no levels and default weapons) you really should lower the difficulty. Even Normal is going to be a slog, especially once you start doing multiple battles in a row. Things get a lot better once you get 3-4 star weapons, have leveled up some of your skills, and if you've equipped a good animal (be sure to get your DLC animals from the blacksmith!).

If you're going to do Ambition without doing story mode first, I'd recommend only doing about 5 battles at a time to get the duel and free weapon (which can be unique) before returning to camp.

The other way to get a jump on a good weapon is to find a stage that starts off with blacksmith and crank the difficulty up to Ultimate and see what he has on sale. I know the 2nd Lu Bu stage at that difficulty will sell 3 or 4 star weapons, if you have 10-12k to drop on one.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

All said though you really should start out with story mode, at least for the characters you plan to use in Ambition mode.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Thank you for the advice! It's all making more sense. I should also say if it wasn't obvious before that this is also the first warriors game I've ever played. Reminds me of the PS2 ace combat games. I'm really liking it.

Played with the characters that used the spiked wheel halberd and the double hookbills. Yeah. All that talk about them being bad I took as normal goon hyperbole, but wow. The guy with the hookbills doesn't even have them equipped by default in what I can only reason is the developers showing mercy on new players.

I assume I need to have the EX weapon to do these special combos, but can they still do mousu and rage mousus without them? I've got a neat halberd and twin axes I'd rather carry around.

Also, what kind of skills should I aim to use and increase in the officer info screen? I've been using a lot of havoc but I can't really tell if it is making much difference. Then there are skills such as Accuracy and Fortune I'm not quite sure about. I've not read a single thing about critical hits or luck anywhere in the game. What are those about?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You can still do musous and so on without the EX Weapon, it's just that that particular weapon gives that character extra moves. So they'll be able to use it better than anyone else. Sometimes this doesn't make a big difference, sometimes it does. It's best to have two different weapons with two different affinities just so you can mix it up situationally. You can't have three weapons for all three affinities, mostly because this would break the rock/paper/scissors thing they've got going on.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Broose posted:

Thank you for the advice! It's all making more sense. I should also say if it wasn't obvious before that this is also the first warriors game I've ever played. Reminds me of the PS2 ace combat games. I'm really liking it.

Played with the characters that used the spiked wheel halberd and the double hookbills. Yeah. All that talk about them being bad I took as normal goon hyperbole, but wow. The guy with the hookbills doesn't even have them equipped by default in what I can only reason is the developers showing mercy on new players.

I assume I need to have the EX weapon to do these special combos, but can they still do mousu and rage mousus without them? I've got a neat halberd and twin axes I'd rather carry around.

Also, what kind of skills should I aim to use and increase in the officer info screen? I've been using a lot of havoc but I can't really tell if it is making much difference. Then there are skills such as Accuracy and Fortune I'm not quite sure about. I've not read a single thing about critical hits or luck anywhere in the game. What are those about?

Musous are tied to the character, not the weapon, so if you're rocking the halberd Cai Wenji will still whip out the harp when you activate musou.

Luck affects the level of weapon drops. No clue about crits. My personal go-to skills are Victory Cry and Burning Spirit just because Attack x2 is so good.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I know some of them you can see just by comparing stats, but is there a guide out there to exactly what effects each level of each weapon and character skill has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
IIRC Critical Hits break through guard, so it's nice to have when every enemy officer turns into a wall (end of Normal story, anything Hard and above).

If it's your first DW game just play through Story Mode on normal first to get an idea of how the game works and different characters play. Then you can level up and make weapons in the Ambition and Free modes. Then do everything the game has to offer and seek out your next Musou fix.*

*Or get burned out and do less than half of all the stuff in the game and keep buying new Musou titles anyway. Rinse and repeat.