Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Events beyond the players' control, such as item drops and stage hazards, have a significant and generally positive impact on the risk/reward structure of Smash. However, tripping is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Bomberman you say?

I knew someone would post this and I hate you for doing it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Color Printer posted:

I knew someone would post this and I hate you for doing it.

That bomberman owns.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Events beyond the players' control, such as item drops and stage hazards, have a significant and generally positive impact on the risk/reward structure of Smash. However, tripping is bad.
Because item drops and stage hazards can be seen and reacted to, generally. You see a pokeball, you can either run towards it or run away if you don't think you can grab it. You see a smash ball, everyone scrambles for it. If the cars in Mute City come by, everyone immediately jumps and tries to stay in the air as long as possible.

If you trip, you trip. End of discussion. There's no risk reward from that, no interesting gameplay, you just got hosed because the RNG decided you should get hosed.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Bomberman you say?

Only if Mega Man has his box art version as an alternate skin.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Endorph posted:

I don't know how to tell you this, but Checkers wouldn't be able if there was a 1/100 chance of someone randomly slapping a piece off the board.

Countblanc posted:

He's saying that human error (execution, emotion, etc.) cause unpredictability already, and that the author seems to think that without forced randomization you can simply execute your gameplan with 100% accuracy all the time and there's no surprises.

I would argue that that's ignoring his larger point though, as poorly expressed as it may be. The baseball/UFC analogy he makes is a good one, that while taking out all that stuff obviously doesn't eliminate the human error variable you're still eliminating as many as possible, and seeing that philosophy as flawed is a perfectly legitimate viewpoint.

As said though it's a dumb thing to defend so I'll stop here. BOMBERMAN

e:

Endorph posted:

If you trip, you trip. End of discussion. There's no risk reward from that, no interesting gameplay, you just got hosed because the RNG decided you should get hosed.

As said though, that's life. Unlucky stuff like that happens all the time in sports and no one complains because it makes things interesting and the breaks even out.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 13, 2014

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Bongo Bill posted:

I agree.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Monicro posted:

I would argue that that's ignoring his larger point though, as poorly expressed as it may be. The baseball/UFC analogy is a good one, that while taking out all that stuff obviously doesn't eliminate the human error variable you're still eliminating as many as possible, and seeing that as flawed is a perfectly legitimate viewpoint.

As said though it's a dumb thing to defend so I'll stop here. BOMBERMAN

I don't really care what his "larger point" is, because ultimately he's still not actually doing any actual journalism like talking to the people he's speaking for. He's just saying his Gamer Feels about how he thinks people aren't playing right but hiding it in boring faux game design language.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Monicro posted:

As said though, that's life. Unlucky stuff like that happens all the time in sports and no one complains because it makes things interesting and the breaks even out.
Well, yeah, but a video game isn't real life. If the game randomly took away a stock or switched the character you were playing or suddenly changed into Mario Kart 8, that'd be random, but it wouldn't make the game more fun. The game is already plenty interesting without randomly taking control away from a player for a second and a half.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
e: wait this post is dumb and combative so nevermind

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

ladyboy pancake posted:

Come onnnnnnnn Chibi-Robo!

This person has the correct opinion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well okay

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Bomberman you say?

So was that game actually any good and just brought down by the horrible redesign, or was it terrible all around?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cleretic posted:

So was that game actually any good and just brought down by the horrible redesign, or was it terrible all around?

It was bad in every area. The design just makes it legendarily bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

it was loving awful

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Imagine bomberman where everything controlled like poo poo, the visuals were way too loud, and placing bombs had a tangible delay. And then stop imaging that, and go play some Bomberman '94 on Wii Ware because we're all bums here and bought it, be real.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cleretic posted:

It had none of the neat innovations and new ideas from the SNES and PS1-era Bomberman games. There was basically nothing to it and it was super boring.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cleretic posted:

The main game was a 99-floor roguelike-like dungeon.

No saves.

No checkpoints.

One life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

No saves.

No checkpoints.

One life.
Roguelike Bomberman sounds vaguely fun so this is an inaccurate comparison.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Waffleman_ posted:

No saves.

No checkpoints.

One life.

This kind of sounds awesome though?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Sade posted:

This kind of sounds awesome though?

Yes but if you combine it with this:

Countblanc posted:

Imagine bomberman where everything controlled like poo poo, the visuals were way too loud, and placing bombs had a tangible delay.

It's bad.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Only thing I faintly recall is every time the girl bomberman(???) died there was this hellish screech. It was bad.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Bomberman you say?

This was an actual design for Bomberman? What? I feel like I'm missing a terrible joke.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

This was an actual design for Bomberman? What? I feel like I'm missing a terrible joke.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That dude has been left hanging for too long, someone high five him

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Sire Oblivion posted:

Google Bomberman: Act Zero, and despair.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bomberman Act Zero was pretty much based on the NES cover art and manual story.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rudoku posted:

Impact! stage hazard.

No no no. Impact is Goemon's Final Smash.

He appears, does an attack, then changes the stage music for the rest of the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEE66AMzGNg

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Yes, it was a joke.

But the joke was on us. :saddowns:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There was also a first person mode, but it was actually a third person mode behind the character.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Waffleman_ posted:

Bomberman Act Zero was pretty much based on the NES cover art and manual story.

I had no idea Bomberman was actually just Samus.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No, this can't be real. gently caress that's stupid.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I hope you're all proud of yourselves

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I had completely forgotten that this exists:

So yeah, we should totally get Bomberman in Smash 4. His newcomer video can have him and Wario facing off.

...gently caress, I actually would really like to see this now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Going on a tangent, what has been everyone's favorite trailer/reveal so far? Mine's Little Mac. It's just so cool how it just builds up with the music and Mac's training. All classy.
Second would be Pac-Man. Dang, really wish the trailer had been aired for a big audience. The yellow circle build up and the wakka sound would've made an auditorium go mad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's still gotta be the reveal trailer + Mega Man. That poo poo was just the perfect storm of hype.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Yeah, that first trailer was probably the best with it seeming like it was wrapping up and then jumping to the Mega Man portion.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Either Megaman or Pac-Man.

Pac-Man just exceeded all expectations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Calaveron posted:

Going on a tangent, what has been everyone's favorite trailer/reveal so far? Mine's Little Mac. It's just so cool how it just builds up with the music and Mac's training. All classy.
Second would be Pac-Man. Dang, really wish the trailer had been aired for a big audience. The yellow circle build up and the wakka sound would've made an auditorium go mad.

Pac-Man would have been great to see during a livestream or something, yeah. I'd have loved to see the response to that real-time.

But like Waffleman said, the initial reveal of the game followed by Mega Man was kind of the big one-two punch that launched all this madness and it's still pretty exciting stuff. Everyone knew a Wii U version was coming but the 3DS stuff blind-sided everyone and then showing how good the game looks in HD was pretty amazing.

Pac-Man's trailer has some really well done build-up to his reveal though. And great music.

Palutena's trailer is the weakest of the bunch. The anime thing is kind of nice but it's very slow compared to the other reveals. She looks awesome in-game but it took way too long to get to the action. Love the banter at least. Rosalina's takes much less time to get to the reveal but still has a long buildup, it's Palutena's trailer done right in terms of pacing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

In Act Zero, they decided to give the girl Bombermans (Bomberwomen?) jiggle physics.

• Locked thread