Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So far the Need For Speed movie isn't as godawfully terrible as I expected it'd be. It's not great but it's definitely watchable at least. On par with the stupid but fun Fast and Furious movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

I saw corn chips sunning on a rock by the driveway when I left, actually.

Yea she still hangs around but not with me and Im sad about that.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

T1g4h posted:

So far the Need For Speed movie isn't as godawfully terrible as I expected it'd be. It's not great but it's definitely watchable at least. On par with the stupid but fun Fast and Furious movies.

I thought it was pretty enjoyable. Definitely had it's moments, both good and terrible-wrapping-around-to-good. You have to be in the mood for that type of movie though.

And slight misfortune for me, went to harbor frieght in fargo and all they have left is the orange 20 ton press and none of the better constructed silver ones, they sold the last two yesterday and earlier today :cry: I guess I'll have to bug friends to use their presses to get all my bushings replaced.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Buy a cordless angle grinder and bask in its greatness.

I have literally never unbolted an axle ubolt. I only cut them. 15 minutes to pull a rearend using nothing but a sawzall, angle grinder, wire cutters for the brake line and sensor wires, maybe a box wrench to undo shock bolts and driveshaft bolts, or just sawzall the driveshaft and angle grind the shock piston rods...

Now that's a loving idea. If I were in the rear end flipping business I'd be all over that, but this is probably a one time deal. Should be short work tomorrow.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hope you have a lot of patience, or bring spare blades, because those goddamn bolts are hardened. I learned that trying to use a sawzall to cut through them once... it works, but is slow going if you want to not slag the blade.

Make sure you cut in the most economical spot - typically diagonally across the arch of the bolt, if it is a half round ubolt, or "my life sucks"* cut in one of the legs (the one with the stuck nut) if it is a square-top one. Having to cut the drat thing in two spots would just be awful.

Oh, look the hell out when you get about 75% of the way through, I've had them snap at that point and let loose with a hell of a bang - in fact it jumped out of the spring plate and put a dent in the fender well. I was glad I wasn't downrange from it.

* every time I've run into this there is approximately no convenient way to get a clear shot at the leg I have to cut without having 8 elbows and a saw that goes around corners.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phone posted:

Florida hasn't had emissions (or safety, for that matter) inspections in decades now.

It's also filled with criminals and the Worst People Alive. Sorry, Fucknag.

I, too, am sorry to live here. Every day.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fucknag posted:

That said, I hear Indiana is trying to give FL a run for their money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

That said, I hear Indiana is trying to give FL a run for their money.

Don't even get me started. One of my friends married his boyfriend during that 72 hours when it was legal here. Well now our governer has said to ignore it. Yesterday somebody spray painted FAG on their door.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Arizona: Vaguely better than Florida.

About on par with Indiana.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And a page back everyone was making GBS threads on Idaho.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is there any place that everyone would agree is awesome to live? In general, or for cars specifically. I'm genuinely curious.

I mean, maybe Colorado; legal weed and Pike's Peak, can't be all that bad. :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Bought an 05' Corolla today for $1500 with 105k on the clock. It has some damage on the right side so I'll need to find a junkyard door for it. New tires too.

This will be a significant upgrade for my wife from the stupid loving Taurus I hate so much.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Arizona: Vaguely better than Florida.

About on par with Indiana.

Seconded.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fucknag posted:

Is there any place that everyone would agree is awesome to live? In general, or for cars specifically. I'm genuinely curious.

california!

perfect driving weather all the time. but the rest of the state sucks donkey balls.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

On the other hand Colorado and California are both running out of water :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

california!

perfect driving weather all the time. but the rest of the state sucks donkey balls.

He said for cars though, and Cali still has CARB, doesn't it?

EDIT: I'll say Arkansas isn't too terrible for cars though. No emissions, no inspections, and we have decent driving roads like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRTEEXIrmEs

Back when I still lived at that house I used to love the drive home. Still make that run occasionally just because it's an absolute blast.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 13, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
NC owns. The government sucks (currently), but the state is really beautiful. We have VIR right on the border and we don't even have to live in Virginia!

(Virginia blows so loving hard)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Previa_fun posted:

On the other hand Colorado and California are both running out of water :v:

You're in the wrong part of CA if they've enacted water rationing. :smugdog:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You know as much as I hear people bitch about other states... Iowa is a drat alright state. I know lightbulb out and another couple of goons are here in Iowa too.

No emissions testing, relatively decent taxes, good schools, lots of pretty nice places to eat, etc. Des Moines, Iowa City, Ames, and Cedar Rapids in most parts are pretty nice towns.

The worst is winter and summer. But for those 3 weeks of the year, yeah its pretty bad rear end.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If I had a heated shop, new hampshire or vermont. And I will have one if I ever manage to move there.

The rest either is too flat, too hot, too drat cold, sucks for legal reasons, or packed too full of assholes :v:

I'll take rust over dealing with californians and CARB.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I'll take rust over dealing with californians and CARB.

I live just close enough to CA I can hop the border and POLLUTE THE gently caress OUT OF THAT BITCH then come home.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

I hope you have a lot of patience, or bring spare blades, because those goddamn bolts are hardened. I learned that trying to use a sawzall to cut through them once... it works, but is slow going if you want to not slag the blade.

Make sure you cut in the most economical spot - typically diagonally across the arch of the bolt, if it is a half round ubolt, or "my life sucks"* cut in one of the legs (the one with the stuck nut) if it is a square-top one. Having to cut the drat thing in two spots would just be awful.

Oh, look the hell out when you get about 75% of the way through, I've had them snap at that point and let loose with a hell of a bang - in fact it jumped out of the spring plate and put a dent in the fender well. I was glad I wasn't downrange from it.

* every time I've run into this there is approximately no convenient way to get a clear shot at the leg I have to cut without having 8 elbows and a saw that goes around corners.

Ive got 2 blades laying around so I'll grab them both. I can wiggle both bolts a bit so im not too worried about them rocketing off into my face. I'm going to grab my dremel and approximately four thousand cut off discs because why not. Between all that, my big rear end screwdriver, and my hammer, that axle's coming home with me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Man. Shooting mice with a .177 air rifle might not be sporting, but it sure finishes them off in a hurry :v:

Fucker won't be keeping me awake tonight, that's for sure.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Saw a Galant VR-4 in a disabled spot at Costco today. I like it a lot better than the Buicks and PT Cruisers usually parked there.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Fucknag posted:

Car person drawbacks for Colorado: It rains every day (300 days of sunshine my rear end). It rains for at least 30 minutes a day, every day, so gently caress keeping your car clean. I mean, the rain is DIRTY here.

Without a turbo or supercharger just knock 20% right off your car's power rating.

With a turbo or supercharger, still add a couple seconds to your 1/4 mile time, because spooling takes longer and the top end cuts off quicker.

But yeah there are a lot of fun as hell roads and turning the traction control off in the snow is a blast.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

T1g4h posted:

He said for cars though, and Cali still has CARB, doesn't it?

CARB is completely overhyped by people who don't live here. It is, at worst, an annoyance. Or a nothing if you have a mailbox in a non-smog county.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

All I know is, any state that will tell me my car isn't road legal because it throws a CEL is a state I want no part of :colbert:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

T1g4h posted:

All I know is, any state that will tell me my car isn't road legal because it throws a CEL is a state I want no part of :colbert:

Stop buying VWs, it will be less of an issue.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

nm posted:

Pffft. Ford, get it right :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

STR came out.

Viggen posted:

As what this time?

Female to male transsexual, pre-op. Surgery is scheduled for next week, finally, and paid for by my insurance. DAMNIT OBAMA, WHY DID YOU LET ME GET CHEAP INSURANCE?!

I wonder how well the vagina to penis part will go? It'd be neat to jizz. :allears: I'm gonna have to learn how to shave my face instead of everything else though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

NC owns. The government sucks (currently), but the state is really beautiful. We have VIR right on the border and we don't even have to live in Virginia!

(Virginia blows so loving hard)
NC is pretty good and you are closer to VIR. East TN is pretty nice for cars. No inspections, rust is rare, amazing roads and land is still somewhat reasonably priced. Downside is high sales tax. The rest of TN sucks, it's flat and lovely.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Welp so much for my weekend in Berlin plans. In the 3 hours it took me to drive here the other site went "hyper critical" so now I have to head back tomorrow morning and stick around in case they need more help over the weekend. Knew I should have done the Berlin Museums a few weekends ago.
Ended up working a very long day Friday then driving back to Berlin early yesterday. So I get my Berlin weekend.

Spent yesterday morning here - http://remise.de/Classic-Remise-Berlin-english-summary.php Holy poo poo, I'll upload pics later but if you are ever in Berlin this needs to be at the top of the list. I've seen some cool poo poo but I walked in and just kind of stood in awe for a minute. Favorite picture is a Mercedes 300SL parked over a Lamborghini Countach. The lambo was still covered in bugs and had a helmet in the passenger seat.

No idea wtf I'm doing today. Not sure if I want to walk around museums, take a tour bus or just hang out in the hotel cigar lounge. Germany vs Argentina world cup game tonight should be amazing...hope Germany wins for the after party.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

nm posted:

Or be like me and get a VW diesel and be exempt from the emissions checks!

Actually I am switching up come November because the diesel is only ok at the city driving I mainly do. Test drove a '15 Fit yesterday and I must say I was impressed.

Texas driving is a mixed bag. On the one hand the back roads are empty and have 80mph speed limits, on the other they are paved with chip and seal.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'd rather drive the worst Texas road than the best Oklahoma road, any day. There is no comparison.

I still have nightmares about driving down OK Highway 9 in thunderstorms. Only goddamned highway I've seen with curbs instead of shoulders, and more hot tar quickpatch than actual road surface.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

Female to male transsexual, pre-op. Surgery is scheduled for next week, finally, and paid for by my insurance. DAMNIT OBAMA, WHY DID YOU LET ME GET CHEAP INSURANCE?!

I wonder how well the vagina to penis part will go? It'd be neat to jizz. :allears: I'm gonna have to learn how to shave my face instead of everything else though.

"check out my six inches"

had you upped the coverage, it'd be eight.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

I'd rather drive the worst Texas road than the best Oklahoma road, any day. There is no comparison.

I still have nightmares about driving down OK Highway 9 in thunderstorms. Only goddamned highway I've seen with curbs instead of shoulders, and more hot tar quickpatch than actual road surface.

Yeah what the gently caress is up with this poo poo

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

cursedshitbox posted:

"check out my six inches"

had you upped the coverage, it'd be eight.

At least he didn't leave the doctor a tip

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Week old cam seals in Miata started leaking.

Stripped out a front strut yesterday.

These are the least service friendly disc brakes I've ever done.

Somebody kill me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
PCV system up to snuff?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Yep, all new when I did the timing belt, water pump, seals, and all assorted goodness.

I have never had so many issues with regular maintenance on a car before.

At least it doesn't ping with the ac on in 100°+ weather anymore

Also looks like the ac compressor front seal started leaking.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Went to the lake for the day yesterday and it loving rained and was gross and windy. At the end of the day one of my friends drops it on me that is thyroid cancer has returned and he's got probably a year to live and no insurance to cover treatment this time.

• Locked thread