Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Dark One posted:

Is there any way to manually add a package tracking number to Google Now? I bought stuff from two different Canadian companies this week, both which shipped something via Canada Post, but only one order is showing up as a card.
In short, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I may have missed the answer to this as I've been away for a while, but what the gently caress have Google done to Maps Navigation? It crashes every pretty much every 60 minutes, without fail. It makes long journeys an utter crapshoot as it seems to have some spidey-sense about when you're coming up to a complex junction.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

rolleyes posted:

I may have missed the answer to this as I've been away for a while, but what the gently caress have Google done to Maps Navigation? It crashes every pretty much every 60 minutes, without fail. It makes long journeys an utter crapshoot as it seems to have some spidey-sense about when you're coming up to a complex junction.

Works for me? What phone, Android version, custom ROM, etc etc?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

SGS4, 4.4.2, no custom poo poo. There are no shortage of other people with the same problem on all kinds of devices, but I haven't been able to find a solution yet. Just wondering if anyone here might have any insight.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

SGS4, 4.4.2, no custom poo poo. There are no shortage of other people with the same problem on all kinds of devices, but I haven't been able to find a solution yet. Just wondering if anyone here might have any insight.
Works for me on Nexuses 4 & 5 except for the GPS breaking 4.4.3/4 bug on my wife's N4.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Sorry, no help here. Same as LastInLine, Nexus 5 and it just works.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

rolleyes posted:

Delete the app clear the cache etc. Then reinstall it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm looking for 1x1 Widget that will show the current date, and opens Google Calendar when tapped. Is there such a thing?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

The Dark One posted:

Is there any way to manually add a package tracking number to Google Now? I bought stuff from two different Canadian companies this week, both which shipped something via Canada Post, but only one order is showing up as a card.

Some times if you do a Google search for the tracking number it'll pick it up and start tracking it in Now.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

rolleyes posted:

Did you mess with location settings at all?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

rolleyes posted:

Wish I could provide some insight but my wife has a S4 on 4.4.2 as well and uses Google Maps Navigation for more than an hour on a regular basis with no issues, I would never hear the end of it if it was happening to her.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

dik-dik posted:

Built in camera app?

Negative I would prefer an app. From a quick search any opinions on Stocard or Key ring?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

I'm looking for 1x1 Widget that will show the current date, and opens Google Calendar when tapped. Is there such a thing?
You could whip that up in Zooper in about two minutes easier than you could find an app I'd trust to do it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

kri kri posted:

Best app at the moment for rewards cards?

Keyring
https://keyringapp.com

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

kri kri posted:

Best app at the moment for rewards cards?

Google Wallet.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Google Wallet.

I've tried Google Wallet at a Best Buy and Gamestop. It's worked so far. Keyring didn't work at BevMo but they just typed in the ID number. Starbucks app for Starbucks.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Geektox posted:

Did you mess with location settings at all?

Nope. I've tried the usual clear cache / reinstall updates business too. Oh well, looks like I'm stuck waiting for Google to fix it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Keyring has always worked for me but if Wallet can do that I might give it a shot.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there a way to see change logs in the play store of beta apps? Facebook updates every drat day and I can't ever tell what it's doing.

And is there a way using Fleksy to backspace when using the keyboard with the bottom row minimized? I know you can swipe to the left to erase a whole word but sometimes it's just one letter I'm trying to fix

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

Is there a way to see change logs in the play store of beta apps? Facebook updates every drat day and I can't ever tell what it's doing.
Changelog Droid

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

myron cope posted:

Last time I was in the dev tools it notified me that I can write different change logs for different apk versions, like tablet/phone/beta etc.

So I guess yes there is, but it's probable nobody is using it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

Last time I was in the dev tools it notified me that I can write different change logs for different apk versions, like tablet/phone/beta etc.

So I guess yes there is, but it's probable nobody is using it.
Nova Launcher guy certainly does but I haven't seen it anywhere else. I'm not participating in a large number of Play Store betas though so it's unlikely I would.

A neat feature is that you can't leave Play Store reviews on a beta version.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rumors stirring today that Amazon is finally going to release an Instant Video app for android.

http://phandroid.com/2014/07/16/amazon-prime-instant-video-google-play-android-app/

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Rumors stirring today that Amazon is finally going to release an Instant Video app for android.

http://phandroid.com/2014/07/16/amazon-prime-instant-video-google-play-android-app/

If it has Chromecast support I'd be floored and wife overjoyed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

grilldos posted:

If it has Chromecast support I'd be floored and wife overjoyed.

If it has Chromecast support, I'm cancelling Netflix.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Did you guys know you can long press the song title on the Music lockscreen widget and it'll let you move around in the song? Blew my mind.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

I preordered a LG G3 and its waiting for me at home. I’m a luddite and this is my first smartphone. What are some good, basic, goon approved apps I should get for this thing?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

poopzilla posted:

I preordered a LG G3 and its waiting for me at home. I’m a luddite and this is my first smartphone. What are some good, basic, goon approved apps I should get for this thing?

Honestly, the op covers this. Perhaps add Chrome, Facebook, Lightflow to the list.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

poopzilla posted:

SMS Backup+
Adds text message conversations to your gmail account.

8SMS
SMS replacement app, close to stock android with a few useful improvements

Android Device Manager
Official google app to locate/lock/erase your phone

Pushbullet
Send links, text, files between devices. Also pops up your phone notifications on your computer.

Timely
Nice alarm clock app google bought recently.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

THF13 posted:

Android Device Manager

I do not understand this. If I've lost my phone, I can't use the loving app.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Rusty! posted:

You can access it from the website though and find your lost phone

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Rusty! posted:

It has a web interface. You use that, and it will interact with the app remotly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

You don't need the app on the phone to do this though.

I keep it installed in case my wife loses her phone.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

THF13 posted:

SMS Backup+
Adds text message conversations to your gmail account.

8SMS
SMS replacement app, close to stock android with a few useful improvements

Android Device Manager

Pushbullet
Send links, text, files between devices. Also pops up your phone notifications on your computer.

Timely
Nice alarm clock app google bought recently.

Thanks for the suggestions. :cheers:

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

myron cope posted:

Exactly. So no point to the app.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

You don't need the app on the phone to do this though.
In order to lock or erase a device, the app needs to be installed and activated as a Device Admin. Otherwise you can only locate the device.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
That's all native due to Google Play Services

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, you can find it by opening up the Google Settings app and clicking Android Device Manager.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

In order to lock or erase a device, the app needs to be installed and activated as a Device Admin. Otherwise you can only locate the device.
Nope, you can set it as the Device Administrator without having the app installed. The only thing the app is good for is locating another Android device as the locating/locking/wiping is built into Play Services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Rusty! posted:

Exactly. So no point to the app.

It's mostly for people that have more than one android device.

• Locked thread