Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I'm just going to throw this out here since everyone's not in ITGO 24/7. I played this game with someone that's incredibly stronger than me and I literally had no idea what to do most of the time. I thought really hard about almost every move and still felt like I was doing bad, especially at the place where he said he had to go. He was going to be alive, or at least have one eye, and I could run into his "moyo" on the left, was about the extent of it.

He also made many moves that suprised me, and the game hinged on my ability to attack his group. I also considered leaning on the high stone instead of the one space jump.

http://eidogo.com/#2ru5h144T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

This sounds great, I wonder what kind of game was played before 19th century Japan.

I'm excited to see. One has to appreciate the context of the rulesets they had in place in China then:

White plays first
No komi
If a player had more living groups than the other, then each additional group cost them 2 stones(!)
The games started with each player occupying one star point, diagonal to each other (cross hoshi)

Apparently the records are quite fighty. I wonder why....

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Which Go client do goons use these days, and does it have an Android app? My monitor's busted and until I get a new one I have not much to do with my free time besides dick around on my phone. I figure playing Go with you guys would be more fun and constructive than just about anything else I could do. I'd like to learn to play halfway decently.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

razorrozar posted:

Which Go client do goons use these days, and does it have an Android app? My monitor's busted and until I get a new one I have not much to do with my free time besides dick around on my phone. I figure playing Go with you guys would be more fun and constructive than just about anything else I could do. I'd like to learn to play halfway decently.

Most of us use kgs. I downloaded the client myself because I can't stand lauching it from the webpage. Follow the OP instructions to get added to the Goon room. There's an android app for kgs but it costs $15.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AdorableStar posted:

Most of us use kgs. I downloaded the client myself because I can't stand lauching it from the webpage. Follow the OP instructions to get added to the Goon room. There's an android app for kgs but it costs $15.

Aw nerts :( I don't have $15 to spare and by the time I do I'll have the money to get my monitor back.

Oh well, I guess I'll join you guys then instead.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Send me a private message (oiseaux) and I'll add you to the access list if no-one beats me to it this evening. Also check out OGS, they are developing an Android / iOS client and the site is actually totally usable on tablets. Not sure about mobile. If you find it usable add me as a friend on OGS and I'll play correspondence with ya

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 9, 2014

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

o.m. 94 posted:

Send me a private message (oiseaux) and I'll add you to the access list if no-one beats me to it this evening. Also check out OGS, they are developing an Android / iOS client and the site is actually totally usable on tablets. Not sure about mobile.

I'll do that if I can get some time on my roommate's computer today, thanks! I tried to pull up KGS on my phone but it's old so it doesn't have the right version of Java. I'll look into OGS now.

E: OGS sticks in a perpetual loading loop on the front page :(

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 9, 2014

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
from the other go thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3576901&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post431949010

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

If a player had more living groups than the other, then each additional group cost them 2 stones(!)

Yeah... originally the win condition for Go was to be the person with the most stones on the board. So you'd fill in all your territory at the end, except for two eyes per group. Those empty points didn't count for you. But of course actually filling in all your territory once the game is settled is boring, so they let you just count up your stones and empty space, like modern Chinese scoring, except they still had that "group tax" of two points per separate group for the two eyes that you could never fill without getting captured.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

position looks good for...lavender??

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I want that board.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i wonder what the odds are that the same game has been played twice.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

What's the chance that it would take me 15 minutes to drive to the store?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yeah i know people replay games, but thats not really playing is it

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uranus posted:

There are roughly 361^200 possible games of Go that can be played. While a large portion of these games would have no chance in hell of being played by anyone with half a brain, you're still left with an incredibly high number of games that make sense.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

The best part is the last pic

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/07/09/you-go-girl-ancient-game-of-go-reaches-out-to-japans-youth-with-trendy-magazine/

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Mods rename me to Buff Go Referee

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

妄想対局: A bunch of shirtless guys playing go. :heysexy:

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

what the gently caress :psyduck:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I was able to replay my first game of go today without attempting any prior memorisation. :toot: It was only 102 moves but still.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

uranus posted:

Ok, I made some calculations thinking about the birthday problem.

So assuming we limit the game A LOT by saying that for every move you can choose only 4 predetermined points to play. And you keep doing it until we arrive to 150 moves. That's 4^150 different games that can be played.

Let's say that every person that ever lived (115 billion) had an average age of 70 years and played an entire game at every second of their lives. That's about 10^20 games.

The probability of at least 2 of these games being exactly the same is about 1 in 10^49.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Symbolic Butt posted:

Ok, I made some calculations thinking about the birthday problem.

So assuming we limit the game A LOT by saying that for every move you can choose only 4 predetermined points to play. And you keep doing it until we arrive to 150 moves. That's 4^150 different games that can be played.

Let's say that every person that ever lived (115 billion) had an average age of 70 years and played an entire game at every second of their lives. That's about 10^20 games.

The probability of at least 2 of these games being exactly the same is about 1 in 10^49.

ok thats pretty awesome. youre pretty awesome

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

http://www.algorithmicartisan.com/gostones/goStones.html

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz
Thanks to Khel and om94 who have been helping me review games on KGS (I'm danbo).

Here's a neat game to play to make good shape. http://www.gliftgo.com/#NSLesson

I've been finding that I leave too many weak groups around and it just allows my opponents to cut me up while building their own strength, so practicing good shape is what I'm working on now.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

takamoron posted:

Thanks to Khel and om94 who have been helping me review games on KGS (I'm danbo).

Here's a neat game to play to make good shape. http://www.gliftgo.com/#NSLesson

I've been finding that I leave too many weak groups around and it just allows my opponents to cut me up while building their own strength, so practicing good shape is what I'm working on now.

I feel that that "difference between kyu and dan level players" shape problem is an overstatement. Everyone knows that shape, right? :confused: Also that's a really good tool and I did all the problems.

Also, if you feel you leave too many weak groups, then leave no weak groups on purpose.

But I won't be making that many points just by slowly defending.
:qqsay:

Yeah, I feel the same way too, though when you have no weak groups, you can do whatever the gently caress you feel like on the go board, even daring invasions because the spillout from that won't damage your other groups too much. When you do have weak groups, your opponet gets to profit from them, and if you don't let them profit from your weak group, they'll profit from your dead group. So if it works out for you well, then you can get comfortable with the idea that it's not about points, but about groups' weaknesses and strengths.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 13, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

I feel that that "difference between kyu and dan level players" shape problem is an overstatement. Everyone knows that shape, right? :confused: Also that's a really good tool and I did all the problems.

You're someone who studies shape and joseki a lot. Many kyu players just automatically make hanging connections at every opportunity and tend not to consider either solid connections to avoid peeps, or lighter, more shapely connections.

I'd say probably everyone 5k or stronger should see that move automatically, but below that you'll see people miss it a lot.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I think I'm gonna get back into playing this. I was doing OK about a year ago but then I fell out of it, but I think I need something in my life that requires patience as such. You guys are still on KGS right? I'll have to re-register cause I forgot my username and password.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Zesty Mordant posted:

I think I'm gonna get back into playing this. I was doing OK about a year ago but then I fell out of it, but I think I need something in my life that requires patience as such. You guys are still on KGS right? I'll have to re-register cause I forgot my username and password.

Patience? In Go? Who has time for that?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Zesty Mordant posted:

I just added you, welcome back :)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Ogs is doing something.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Whoever dropped the sick flows in ITGO let me see the lyric sheet lmao

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

Whoever dropped the sick flows in ITGO let me see the lyric sheet lmao

I'm going to guess it's elementc.

"ITGO turns kyus into dans faster than Chinese factories"

:laffo:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

shin42k posted:

Congratulations. You might want to consider going through it again a few months later to see how far you've progressed. I promise it'll take a significantly lesser amount of time.

I am now going through this collection for the third time. Admittedly, I should be doing the harder intermediate (I quit at 250), and Gokyo shumyo problems right now, but I'm lazy and convince myself doing lots of easier problems is more beneficial because that seems to be the general consensus. On an average day I get through 50-100 problems depending on when I get tired of doing them. I usually arrive at the correct answer first, but have to read out all the possible responses I can think of. Most problems take < 1 minute, but maybe 20-40% of them take 1-5 minutes because the shape is weird to me, I'm looking for better than ko or seki, or I just plain missed something obvious.

It's a good feeling compared to when I started the problems the first time through.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I found two curious looking books on Amazon for $5 a pop:

"Go by example: Correcting common mistakes in double digit kyu play"
"Go by example: Improving single digit kyu play"

There's also an introductory book for the game in the same style but I thought it was too low-level

The interesting thing is that they don't use labeled diagrams, but rather a seperate diagram for each play. Obviously for me that's probably a waste of space, but it's a nice pedagogical tool, maybe it will also help me to visualise variations better. I don't expect to get much from the first book but I'm on a mission to consolidate fundamentals so I quite enjoy reading through all these beginners books and absorbing them.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Getting Java to work on Ubuntu is way more of a headache than it should be. :suicide:

Can someone link me to ITGO? KGS refuses to cooperate with me, even though I've done three separate methods of installing Java, and "itgo" is such an ambiguous phrase that Googling it is useless.

e: apparently I was thinking of OGS. I'm a goddamn moron.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

razorrozar posted:

Getting Java to work on Ubuntu is way more of a headache than it should be. :suicide:

Can someone link me to ITGO? KGS refuses to cooperate with me, even though I've done three separate methods of installing Java, and "itgo" is such an ambiguous phrase that Googling it is useless.

e: apparently I was thinking of OGS. I'm a goddamn moron.

Are you trying to use the downloadable client or the one from the webpage?

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Got my first win vs a 1k http://eidogo.com/#ymWKG9wV. Complete clusterfuck of a game, with many mistakes on both sides, but I'll take it.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

IMlemon posted:

Got my first win vs a 1k http://eidogo.com/#ymWKG9wV. Complete clusterfuck of a game, with many mistakes on both sides, but I'll take it.

Is p13 for black 17 viable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

AdorableStar posted:

Is p13 for black 17 viable?

IMO it'd be better than game. The more black can keep white playing on the third line, the less and less meaning his bottom right corner has in the grand scheme of things.