Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Also note that just because a civ lists itself as well-disposed towards you doesn't mean that they actually like you. The AI is happy to lie and say you're their best buddy, and then stab you in the back. The easiest way to see this is if they have a positive disposition but no, or very few, reasons for it.

Napoleon in particular loves to pretend to be your best buddy and then shank you in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are basically three ways to judge AI attitude towards the player. The stated attitude is basically arbitrary and often doesn't actually correlate to their real intent. You can sometimes see this plainly when they have a ton of negative modifiers and still claim to be friendly (Shaka is the most frequent offender of this "deceit"). Then there's the modifiers and adding those all up. You don't get hard and fast numbers but a general idea. These can also be deceptive, though. If an AI really wants to kill you, they can and will do so despite having mostly positive diplomatic modifiers. The most accurate way to judge intent is through trade. Even if they're listed as friendly and have positive modifiers, if they refuse to offer you a decent trade then they don't actually like you and may be plotting against you. For example, only offering 4 or 5 gold per turn for a luxury is a pretty clear indication that they want you dead.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 12, 2014

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Well, this was new. I've been dicking around in a Settler-level game to see what it would take to build all the Wonders and what a wide empire might look like. Apparently barbarians turn elite at the end of the game.

Good luck, commander.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are basically three ways to judge AI attitude towards the player. The stated attitude is basically arbitrary and often doesn't actually correlate to their real intent. You can sometimes see this plainly when they have a ton of negative modifiers and still claim to be friendly (Shaka is the most frequent offender of this "deceit"). Then there's the modifiers and adding those all up. You don't get hard and fast numbers but a general idea. These can also be deceptive, though. If an AI really wants to kill you, they can and will do so despite having mostly positive diplomatic modifiers. The most accurate way to judge intent is through trade. Even if they're listed as friendly and have positive modifiers, if they refuse to offer you a decent trade then they don't actually like you and may be plotting against you. For example, only offering 4 or 5 gold per turn for a luxury is a pretty clear indication that they want you dead.

How much gold is a luxury supposed to be worth? I know it's 5:1 strategic-luxury but I just usually accept whatever default deals come my way

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

240 gold lump sum, or 7 gold per turn and 8 gold lump sum if they really like you. Usually it's more 6 or 7 gpt.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They used to give 8gpt pre-BNW but they changed that, I don't think I've seen a single 8gpt trade since. So judge 7 as the default.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

They used to give 8gpt pre-BNW but they changed that, I don't think I've seen a single 8gpt trade since. So judge 7 as the default.

I actually got an 8gpt trade recently. Only one I ever got though, and they renewed at 7gpt when the time came.

ZLF Aurora
May 4, 2012
Is there a Civilization V goon Skype group? It seems like there's one for every other multiplayer game in existence and this just happens to be the game I'm craving multiplayer for right now.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

ZLF Aurora posted:

Is there a Civilization V goon Skype group? It seems like there's one for every other multiplayer game in existence and this just happens to be the game I'm craving multiplayer for right now.

I've got one with a bunch of non-goons, although they do play with the goon Steam group game I'm running. The group is kind of unreliable though, sometimes people show up, sometimes they don't, although that's pretty typical of Civ multiplayer in general really. Add me if you want: canadian-pirate.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
New gameplay video from Beyond Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQyG885arY

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bondetamp posted:

I'm glad to hear that covert ops will "play an important role" (assuming that means a bigger role than in Civ 5)... I find the espionage system in Civ 5 sorely lacking.

edit: lol at strategic resource "Firaxite"

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 13, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

bondetamp posted:

Looks like they've kept the "melee units can be damaged when attacking" thing. In fact combat looks basically identical to in CiV except for the addition of satellites.

Also note how they didn't give the AI a chance to show off its capabilities on the attack :v: I bet they're still working on making it smarter than a sack of hammers.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

KKKlean Energy posted:

edit: lol at strategic resource "Firaxite"

"You may see some placeholder artwork"

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ducttape posted:

"You may see some placeholder artwork"

Yeah. I accepted that for a while, but I'm starting to feel like I'm being sold a game made by one really talented modder.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beyond Earth is basically going to be on the level of the Colonization remake Firaxis put out after BTS. Except it's way higher profile because a lot more people cared about Alpha Centauri.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Beyond Earth is basically going to be on the level of the Colonization remake Firaxis put out after BTS. Except it's way higher profile because a lot more people cared about Alpha Centauri.

And I would buy it if it were advertised as such. I liked Civ4:Colinization:Civ4. But even though they sold it as a separate game, they never pretended or charged as much as a full game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Newsflash, a good portion of major sequels, spinoffs, etc. are functionally 'mods' to already existing games, which themselves were probably derived from some existing code base. Turns out it's a lot faster and cheaper to reuse assets and code if you can help it!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's true of all software, and programmers go out of their way to re-use software and libraries that others have made. SomethingAwful is a vBulletin mod.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Human Crouton posted:

And I would buy it if it were advertised as such. I liked Civ4:Colinization:Civ4. But even though they sold it as a separate game, they never pretended or charged as much as a full game.

Do we know the price yet?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Looks like they've kept the "melee units can be damaged when attacking" thing. In fact combat looks basically identical to in CiV except for the addition of satellites.

Well so far the satellite they've chosen to show off does the same job as a great general.

And besides that, satellites are going to seem really weird if they behave like hovering units :psyduck:

I hope they do something very nifty with the satellite system. It seems like something with great potential.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I can't seem to keep track of time when playing this game. My entire weekend just disappeared and that sorta sucks. I'm so used to Civ4 where I didn't have to wait so long between turns; in the early 90's my 386 could do AI turns for Civ1 approximately as fast as Civ5 and that's just depressing...

Where the heck do I turn quick combat on for offense only? I don't need the animations on offense; I already know what I'm attacking. But on defense I need quick animations off so I know what unit where is being attacked, by what, and how it went. Civ4 understood this at least. Also how do I turn the clock on, certainly Civ5 has a UI clock? Or do I need a mod for that?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

Where the heck do I turn quick combat on for offense only? I don't need the animations on offense; I already know what I'm attacking. But on defense I need quick animations off so I know what unit where is being attacked, by what, and how it went.

I don't know that you can. Closest thing I'm aware of is that you can use Strategic View (F10) when you don't want to watch animations.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Quick Combat is in the advanced options when starting a new game, as a check box. I think quick movement is in there as well. If it's not there, then it's in the gameplay options.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gort posted:

Do we know the price yet?

$50

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How's that compare to regular AAA game releases (EG: Civ 5)? In the UK "full price for new AAA game" (unless it's Call of Duty or something like that that lives in its own universe) is £40.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It used to be $50 but nearly everything is $60 now. Or maybe not even nearly; what was the last AAA game that was only $50? Civ 5 was I think but that was 5 years ago now; if it were released today it would almost certainly be $60 along with everything else. CoD set the trend but it's not notably expensive now (aside from the DLC), everything caught up with it.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Sanctum posted:

I can't seem to keep track of time when playing this game. My entire weekend just disappeared and that sorta sucks. I'm so used to Civ4 where I didn't have to wait so long between turns; in the early 90's my 386 could do AI turns for Civ1 approximately as fast as Civ5 and that's just depressing...

Where the heck do I turn quick combat on for offense only? I don't need the animations on offense; I already know what I'm attacking. But on defense I need quick animations off so I know what unit where is being attacked, by what, and how it went. Civ4 understood this at least. Also how do I turn the clock on, certainly Civ5 has a UI clock? Or do I need a mod for that?

Yeah there's a couple quality of life things that could be implemented to make late game wars a bit more tolerable.

- as you pointed out, quick combat for attacks the player initiates
- quick combat between civs/city states where you aren't involved
- much faster air combat. I know there's a mod but it's inconsistent. Sometimes the plane will just go faster but do multiple bombing laps and the total time it takes is the same.

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 14, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Gabriel Pope posted:

I don't know that you can. Closest thing I'm aware of is that you can use Strategic View (F10) when you don't want to watch animations.

Are there hotkeys to toggle what strategic viewmode displays? I always leave it set to show resource hexes only because the normal view requires me to click the map settings, check a box, and click it away every time I want to highlight resources.

Seems like civ5 has a lot of '1 step forward, 2 steps back.' At least there's no colonial expenses. :argh:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I like the comment on 'quests' since it sounds like they'll likely be modable possibly even in the XML.

Holy moly that tech web is straight out of Endless Space...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One would hope that the entire game is moddable but considering how much they hosed the mod scene with V, fat chance of that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sanctum posted:

Are there hotkeys to toggle what strategic viewmode displays? I always leave it set to show resource hexes only because the normal view requires me to click the map settings, check a box, and click it away every time I want to highlight resources.
I think it's Opt+something, I wanna say Opt+T or Opt+G? They do a lot of HUD stuff with alt keys, I guess trying to maximize the number of non-alt hotkeys for unit commands. I mean, Workers still use tons of Opt+<key> poo poo, so obviously they didn't try that hard, but I'm pretty sure yeah, you can do what you're describing without using the GUI.

To your credit, it's completely Firaxis's fault for not listing the hotkey in the tooltip.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Holy moly that tech web is straight out of Endless Space...

Not quite - there's an innovation in that you don't just research a tech, you can research a tech and then go on to research two or three other techs in the same node. So you can get the basics of a tech then move on, or you can sit on a tech for ages unlocking every little detail of it.

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks
So I just started playing BNW (didn't know I had it, actually. Yay Steam sales!).

Messing around on Warlord difficulty as the Mongols, in the classical era, and it seems like the Aztecs are the only other civ on my continent. So I declared war on the them and I've taken their capital and another city and made them puppets.

They've got one city left. Should I take it out, and finish them for good since I haven't met any other civs yet?

And if so, should I raze the city? I currently have two cities of my own and their two puppet cities (which I'd annex in the near future).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you haven't met any other civs, then you might as well eliminate the Aztecs. Leaving them alive will just leave you open to regular denouncements, which is more annoying than anything else.

As for keep/raze/puppet, only keep a city if it's giving you stuff you need. New luxury resources are best, to offset the happiness penalty from the city. 4 cities is usually considered to be "optimal" mostly in that the Tradition cultural policies only give you free buildings for up to 4 cities, but if you have the happiness to absorb more cities then the cost is marginal -- a 5% penalty to your tech and policy costs. Any city that's remotely well-developed will easily offset those.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
The last game I had on immortal was very weird: not only once, but three times my happiness plunged from +3 something to minus fifteen or fourteen, I got it back by the power of trading luxury shenanigans but the last one was accompanied with war so that was that for me. Why the gently caress did that happen? what was going on?

Other than that, the fact that getting your own religion started is by chance really isn't a good thing, I always have a burts of rage when I see foreign missionaries come over my borders with their paganism and I don't have anything yet, despite building shrines and temples. Is the only way to prevent foreign religion only via inquisitors? Isn't there anything else I could do?

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 16, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ManOfTheYear posted:

The last game I had on immortal was very weird: not only once, but three times my happiness plunged from +3 something to minus fifteen or fourteen, I got it back by the power of trading luxury shenanigans but the last one was accompanied with war so that was that for me. Why the gently caress did that happen? what was going on?

A bunch of luxury trades ran out, you acquired a city, you lost a mercantile city-state, or a civ with a competing ideology passed a cultural influence threshold over you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ManOfTheYear posted:

Other than that, the fact that getting your own religion started is by chance really isn't a good thing, I always have a burts of rage when I see foreign missionaries come over my borders with their paganism and I don't have anything yet, despite building shrines and temples. Is the only way to prevent foreign religion only via inquisitors? Isn't there anything else I could do?

Declare war and capture them, then dismiss them. But generally I'd say just give up on maintaining your own religion on the higher difficulties. It's possible, sure, but it requires a crapton of effort because the AI has functionally an order of magnitude more ability to buy missionaries than you do and will completely ignore your demands to stop spreading their religion in your borders.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And honestly, the game of "see who can spam more missionaries" is so anti-fun that even if it would be feasible to reliably spread your religion, I still wouldn't bother.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So I guess I never realized until now, but capping a second capitol after a civ lost their original means you can't raze that city. That's a pain in the nuts unless I am missing something. I started near the French in this game, with Ghandi and the Byzantines not far away. So I quickly went to take Paris, not realizing what I mentioned above. Once France tried expoing again where I was going to go next, I took out their expo and second capitol and now I'm stuck with a loving worthless city that just has one redundant luxury plot. It's not even in a spot that I can get another city to come in and take it off my hands. I am at the bottom of the continent, with my cities formed in such a way that it creates a U blocking off access if you don't have open borders, and that's behind the wall.

On that note, what's the ideal amount of cities for a liberty tree? That bumped me to five. I was gonna wait until really necessary for my fifth since the luxuries were gonna be redundant but open a port on the opposite coast. If it matters for what you are going for, I am going for a culture victory

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you haven't met any other civs, then you might as well eliminate the Aztecs. Leaving them alive will just leave you open to regular denouncements, which is more annoying than anything else.

As for keep/raze/puppet, only keep a city if it's giving you stuff you need. New luxury resources are best, to offset the happiness penalty from the city. 4 cities is usually considered to be "optimal" mostly in that the Tradition cultural policies only give you free buildings for up to 4 cities, but if you have the happiness to absorb more cities then the cost is marginal -- a 5% penalty to your tech and policy costs. Any city that's remotely well-developed will easily offset those.

Thanks! Yea the last city is small and in a terrible location. Gonna burn it down.

I do kind of feel that Warlord might be too easy/forgiving, so next game I'll try Prince.

• Locked thread