Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Krinos posted:

Do you have both twitter and twitter beta installed?

Removed the beta months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Attention Aus Goons: Lumia 930 is available from today to buy outright, Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone should have it to purchase on contract by the 15th.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
And for the danish Goons, most of the danish phone companies got the 930 available as well.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
So I posted a while ago in this thread about how my 3G suddenly stopped working on my Lumia 620. Or rather, it will connect for about 5 seconds and then disconnect and then my phone won't even receive calls/texts (no service at all) for hours at a time. The only way to resolve this is to force the phone to only use the 2G network, for which the data connection is really lovely (I can't even sync my emails a lot of the time) but at least the phone service works and remains connected.

Someone here suggested that I do a full reset of my phone, which I have now done and it hasn't made any difference. Does anyone have any insight on whether this is likely to be a sim card/network problem or a problem with my phone hardware? I'll try to borrow a friend's sim card to check this but figured I might as well ask again here as well. My (Australian) network uses the 900/2100Mhz bands for 3G if that makes any difference.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tgent posted:

So I posted a while ago in this thread about how my 3G suddenly stopped working on my Lumia 620. Or rather, it will connect for about 5 seconds and then disconnect and then my phone won't even receive calls/texts (no service at all) for hours at a time. The only way to resolve this is to force the phone to only use the 2G network, for which the data connection is really lovely (I can't even sync my emails a lot of the time) but at least the phone service works and remains connected.

Someone here suggested that I do a full reset of my phone, which I have now done and it hasn't made any difference. Does anyone have any insight on whether this is likely to be a sim card/network problem or a problem with my phone hardware? I'll try to borrow a friend's sim card to check this but figured I might as well ask again here as well. My (Australian) network uses the 900/2100Mhz bands for 3G if that makes any difference.

It's possible your phone is just hosed. Just go to your local telstra/optus/vodaphone store and ask for a new one (and don't take no for an answer, getting a new phone in this situation if you want one IS YOUR LEGAL RIGHT, and they are BREAKING THE LAW if they attempt to refuse.)

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone else have problems with, what I assume are, group messages. When I receive one it simply says "Get media content now (1kb)" but when you tap on it the same message refreshes, outgoing group messages also refuse to send.

My internet and MMS access point settings are correct, so is there any known issue on WP8.1?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Is data on? I couldn't receive MMS until I turned it on.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone else have problems with, what I assume are, group messages. When I receive one it simply says "Get media content now (1kb)" but when you tap on it the same message refreshes, outgoing group messages also refuse to send.

My internet and MMS access point settings are correct, so is there any known issue on WP8.1?

Works sporadically for me, sometimes they are great, others they get stuck.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Is data on? I couldn't receive MMS until I turned it on.

Data is definitely on, I use it all the time.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

I have also experienced this, for the record.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

It happens for me. I'll get one message that says "Get media content now" and will not download at all. Then all of the replies come in, except from the original sender. His always say"Get media content now." I think whatever his phone is must use a different setting that seems to mess with WP.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Since this is related to complaints about running Hyper-V a while ago, I've ran 3DMark on my system to see how much difference Hyper-V makes, because I came recently across posts in the MSDN forums about how the framerate would be impaired by Hyper-V, altho it seemed mostly ATI card owners. It's pretty much an error margin, at least for NVidia.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hR5KmiLMZ2ZcH6iINESeXENjtGs58Q1YfBsLIjzj444/edit?usp=sharing

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Sri.Theo posted:

I had this problem when I was on Sprint. Something about losing the data connection. I always fixed it by cycling airplane mode on and off. The superstitious side of me always refreshed the message once while airplane mode was on too.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Sri.Theo posted:

I had this issue with ATT a while back. They had me change tons of settings, even gave me a new phone and the issue persisted. They had me turn off group messaging once and it allowed media content for a while, then it stopped.

After making a huge stink they had someone on their end fix something on the backend and it has worked since.

I know this doesn't help you, but it is how I had my issue "fixed".

Bitch until it works and threaten to leave.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Bought a Lumia 1020 for myself about a month back and I love it. There are some issues, like having to turn cell data on to receive MMS, that bug of touching the screen as it's locking and not being able to interact with anything, only one desktop 8.1 app purchase carrying over to mobile (Halo: Spartan Assault), but otherwise it's amazing. I don't miss my iPhone in the slightest.

So far I've managed to uncover what I feel to be the best apps for every service like MeTweets for Twitter, anything Rudy Huyn makes like CloudSix for Dropbox, 6tag and 6sec for Instagram and Vine respectively, etc., Turtle for Tumblr, Poki for Pocket, NextGen for Feedly, Baconit for Reddit, UC Browser, and so on.

Am I missing something brilliant? What are the necessities according to the experts?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Turning cell data on to receive MMS is across all platforms, I think? My brother had to on his iPhone, at least. :shrug:

Epiphany is the best Goodreads client I've found, although I've toyed with the idea of making my own. Pin.it is good for Pinterest, Git Station is good for GitHub, I use Owl Reader for Pocket but Poki seems good too, Flickr Booth for Flickr. FoulPlay is Drastic Actions' PlayStation companion app and it's cool. :) There are a ton of weather apps, I use Atmosphere Weather for its live tile and the UI and Awesome Lock for my start screen.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

soapgish posted:

only one desktop 8.1 app purchase carrying over to mobile (Halo: Spartan Assault)

Only apps that have the "universal badge" on them will carry over from desktop to mobile or vice versa.

(Also: the people who wrote those apps might have decided that in-app purchases will be shared between desktop and mobile, and that the app's settings should roam between desktop and mobile.)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I'm still working on Awful Music, and I think I found a bug with BackgroundMediaPlayer. When you transition tracks, it will play a blip of the first few milliseconds of audio from the previous track. No matter what I do (use files, stream as a media source), it never goes away. It does not happen if you skip tracks though, only if you let it switch on its own. :(

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm still working on Awful Music, and I think I found a bug with BackgroundMediaPlayer. When you transition tracks, it will play a blip of the first few milliseconds of audio from the previous track. No matter what I do (use files, stream as a media source), it never goes away. It does not happen if you skip tracks though, only if you let it switch on its own. :(

I get that occasionally as well but I don't know how to reproduce it. Do you also have the issue of a static 'click' when switching tracks and plugged into speakers via the headphone jack?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
After 2 weeks+ with a WP I've having ups and downs. I love the interface but haven't found a nav app that suits me, and still haven't found a good Trakt compatible tv series app that is as easy to use as Series Guide on Android. Here Maps and Here Drive are frustrating, it's like they were meant to be one app but were split for no fathomable reason. Tried Maps+, no improvement. Tried Mapquest but it frequently crashes. Also every nav app closes if the phone sleeps or you open another app, sometimes they will resume, sometimes not, very frustrating in use. The downloaded maps is a nice feature though. Most apps are as good or better than Android equivalents. Everyone is impressed with the Lumia speaker, I have to admit it sounds good for a phone. Indigo is a lot of fun, has more personality and better sense of humor than Siri. Tmobile hasn't pushed 8.1 yet so I can't test Cortana.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

wormil posted:

After 2 weeks+ with a WP I've having ups and downs. I love the interface but haven't found a nav app that suits me, and still haven't found a good Trakt compatible tv series app that is as easy to use as Series Guide on Android. Here Maps and Here Drive are frustrating, it's like they were meant to be one app but were split for no fathomable reason. Tried Maps+, no improvement. Tried Mapquest but it frequently crashes. Also every nav app closes if the phone sleeps or you open another app, sometimes they will resume, sometimes not, very frustrating in use. The downloaded maps is a nice feature though. Most apps are as good or better than Android equivalents. Everyone is impressed with the Lumia speaker, I have to admit it sounds good for a phone. Indigo is a lot of fun, has more personality and better sense of humor than Siri. Tmobile hasn't pushed 8.1 yet so I can't test Cortana.

I'm mostly using GPS CoPilot or Waze, depending on how I feel. Waze has some crippling bugs but when it works it's allright. GPS CoPilot doesn't seem to watch to follow my car by default so I have to hit the GPS button which really should be the default behaviour, otherwise it's OK.

I was looking for a decent Google Maps implementation but they all seem to suck a lot, so I just resigned myself to using the built in Maps app for general "where am I right now?" map usage. It's allright. Not great, but allright.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I just started using Waze for navigation and it seems kinda cool. Huge battery drain though. I had my phone plugged in to a charger and still managed to lose about 10% battery over two hours. Mind you, I was using a pretty low powered charger at the time it was still one heck of a surprise.

I just watched the video of Project Adam. I want that on my phone now! I'm terrible with dog breeds so that would be insanely useful for me.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Turning cell data on to receive MMS is across all platforms, I think? My brother had to on his iPhone, at least. :shrug:

Not with my 3GS that I upgraded from, unless I have the memory of a hummingbird. Really, that's an excellent list you've provided and I have a handful of apps downloaded and a couple more to look at. Much appreciated :)

ljw1004 posted:

Only apps that have the "universal badge" on them will carry over from desktop to mobile or vice versa.

Huh. Thank you for this.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Looks like Lumia Cyan with the final version of WP8.1 is starting to roll out. Still no word on Cortana in the UK other than vague statements indicating it'd be before the end of July. :mad:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Venusy posted:

Looks like Lumia Cyan with the final version of WP8.1 is starting to roll out. Still no word on Cortana in the UK other than vague statements indicating it'd be before the end of July. :mad:

Not even 'vague statements' for Canada. No worries MS, you've got time to catch up - after all, it's the fastest rising smartphone platform!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Drastic Actions posted:

The XboxMusic app has demonstrated that since the WP 8.1 preview, so it's been around for a while.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Nokia/MSFT put up a site for the Cyan/8.1 update:
http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/
Nothing out in North America yet, but unsurprisingly the Lumia 810 is not getting updated.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Every update cycle I get loving irritated at waiting for carrier approval. gently caress off.

On an unrelated note, is there a preferred 64GB micro SD card for the 1520?

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 15, 2014

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I ordered the 1520 this weekend, I look forward to people staring at me in public

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The XboxMusic app has demonstrated that since the WP 8.1 preview, so it's been around for a while.

All of their audio is going through the same APIs, so that makes sense. Shame it's not fixed though. Kinda don't want people thinking it's a bug in my app (on top of all the other ones it's sure to have :v:).

Bought a used 1020, should arrive at some point. I can't stay away from Windows Phone for too long (even though it probably won't get a sim in it and will primarily be used for development).

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I bought it on Swappa, and I just realized I bought it from a Goon who used my Awful app. It's on their home screen. :3:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 15, 2014

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Dropped my 920 on a gravel driveway this weekend and cracked the screen pretty good near the bottom, sucks but AT&T is sending me a 1520 to replace it so :toot: $125 with the insurance plan.

Anyone have a recommendation for a wireless charging case? The Incipio case on Amazon provides almost no protection and it's like $50, I'd really like to get something better but I can't find anything.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Naffer posted:

Nokia/MSFT put up a site for the Cyan/8.1 update:
http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/
Nothing out in North America yet, but unsurprisingly the Lumia 810 is not getting updated.

This annoyed me for half a second until I realized I had gotten my GF a used 820, not 810 :v:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Just turned on my Icon for the first time in a few months and can't remember why I ever turned out off. 8.1 is very nice and it seems services like Spotify have reworked their apps to work as expected. Yay.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Slacker does this, it seems to be that the playing bar ends a few seconds before the song really does, so something is out of sync there. Obnoxious, but at least music comes out of it.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Crumps Brother posted:

I just started using Waze for navigation and it seems kinda cool. Huge battery drain though. I had my phone plugged in to a charger and still managed to lose about 10% battery over two hours. Mind you, I was using a pretty low powered charger at the time it was still one heck of a surprise.

I just watched the video of Project Adam. I want that on my phone now! I'm terrible with dog breeds so that would be insanely useful for me.

Waze is about the only one I noticed that can run under a lock screen. It doesn't seem to alert you of cops notifications while locked unless you're actually navigating to an address. I could be wrong, though. I really hate the giant ads on Waze, but it works pretty well.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone in the 8.1 preview program getting an update? It looks like one is out, although I don't see anything on my 920.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone in the 8.1 preview program getting an update? It looks like one is out, although I don't see anything on my 920.

I got an update on my 920 while I was at lunch. Installed it. Any idea what it's all about?

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 16, 2014

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Maneki Neko posted:

Haven't gotten mine yet. I'm on a Lumia icon.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dirk Pitt posted:

Haven't gotten mine yet. I'm on a Lumia icon.

Same here. No 8.1 update yet. I've done a manual update check for the past couple days.

I really love this phone after using it for about a week now after setting it up just the way I like it. I had to put the touch sensitivity on High since sometimes the Windows/Start button wouldn't register on Normal and had a bizarre incident where all of my non-social media contacts disappeared, but I put them back in and made a backup. I think it was something screwy with the Verizon Backup Assistant.

I just wish it had an app for my bank and for Capital One, but other than that, it's solid. Windows 4 lyfe.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I got the update, wish it came with release notes. WiFi still crashes 🌠