Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And thus was born a new class of audiophile: "If you don't pay bands to come play for you live whenever you want to listen to music, you're not a real audiophile. Plebes. :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

And thus was born a new class of audiophile: "If you don't pay bands to come play for you live whenever you want to listen to music, you're not a real audiophile. Plebes. :smug:"

Too bad real audiophiles only listen to Sting, Kingston Wall, and test records.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Too bad real audiophiles only listen to Sting, Kingston Wall, and test records.

You misspelled Diana Krall.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

:lol: Diana Krall isn't even gold-plated.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

KillHour posted:

This is something I've often wondered, do audiophiles even go watch live music? I can't imagine them putting up with any kind of sound they consider sub-par. Do they keep badgering the sound engineer? Have a specific place in each venue where they *must* stand?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Junkenstein posted:

This is something I've often wondered, do audiophiles even go watch live music? I can't imagine them putting up with any kind of sound they consider sub-par. Do they keep badgering the sound engineer? Have a specific place in each venue where they *must* stand?

I think most of them only go to purely acoustic concerts. Classical music, guitar, chamber music, that sort of thing. Maybe the occasional minimal-tech jazz thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You're making the mistake of thinking audiophiles listen to music.

Music is just something they use to measure their equipment with.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 12, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

You're making the mistake of thinking audiophiles listen to music.

Music is just something the use to measure their equipment with.

:siren::siren::siren: STOP EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW JUST DROP THAT HAMBURGER AND TAKE YOUR HAND OFF THE MOUSE :siren::siren::siren:

A new goon-run record label called "Audiophile System Sounds" with releases such as:

Cable Sounds (rear end-001)
Cable Sounds II (rear end-002)
Knobs of the Caribbean (rear end-003)
Cable Sounds III (rear end-004)
Knobs of the Pacific (rear end-004)
Blue Tack on the Spindle (rear end-006)

All just blank grooves.

(Re: the numbering: this way we also get the stupid hell idiot vinyl collectors right in the :spergin:.)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

KozmoNaut posted:

Why do people on the internet like to slam Diana Krall? I have seen her perform on TV and thought she was alright, but I'm not into jazz.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why do people on the internet like to slam Diana Krall? I have seen her perform on TV and thought she was alright, but I'm not into jazz.

I don't think I've ever seen Diana Krall mentioned anywhere except in this thread.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mister Kingdom posted:

Nobody's slamming Diana Krall, she's alright.

It's just become a cliché that all audiophile reviews must use at least one Diana Krall song for their listening tests. It's inoffensive and acceptable music to just about everyone, so it fits well in with the old audiophile standbys, like Dark Side Of The Moon or any of the other audiophile consensus-approved "music to listen to stereos by".

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 12, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

KozmoNaut posted:

Nobody's slamming Diana Krall, she's alright.

It's just become a cliché that all audiophile reviews must use at least one Diana Krall song for their listening tests. It's inoffensive and acceptable music to just about everyone, so it fits well in with the old audiophile standbys, like Dark Side Of The Moon or any of the other audiophile consensus-approved "music to listen to stereos by".

Gotcha. I'm so used to seeing popular things ripped apart on the net, I figured I'd missed something.

Carry on.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Whelp, this is fuckin' weird:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726016/bassaware-a-new-bass-augmentation-device-for-headphones-that-delivers-true-visceral-response

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So it's basically just a tactile transducer or "bass shaker", mounted on a vest? Bass shakers are nifty gadgets, especially if you have neighbors who won't tolerate big subwoofers (most won't).

I would feel like a total idiot wearing one in public, though. Unless it also gives you vibration super powers, but I bet it won't :(

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 13, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

KozmoNaut posted:

So it's basically just a tactile transducer or "bass shaker", mounted on a vest? Bass shakers are nifty gadgets, especially if you have neighbors who won't tolerate big subwoofers (most won't).

I would feel like a total idiot wearing one in public, though. Unless it also gives you vibration super powers, but I bet it won't :(

The next step is the sub-woofer suppository.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mister Kingdom posted:

It comes in 8", 12" and 15" packages. There is also a special limited edition Kirk Johnson Gold Ring 21" package for the ultimate in audiorectality.

I've been looking at crazy audiophile videos on Youtube, and this one was pretty good. It's from the same channel as the previous overly-complicated turntable review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TXnfgO4vD4

"This is a very dimensional cable. It's almost like putting 3D glasses on, it's that good."

Yes, I do believe that cable will do exactly the same to the sound of my stere, as putting on 3D glasses will. Hey, at least he isn't lying about it.

E: And remember to weigh all your records before you play them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW0VKIGFEEI

Because even 1 gram matters when you're playing it back on a turntable with a 70lb platter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cHAKXVVX4

E: And don't forget your magic magnetic talisman. Demagnetize everything, including the speaker drivers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq-a68vkjnQ

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 13, 2014

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mister Kingdom posted:

Didn't something like that come with the original PS2 release of Rez?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Didn't something like that come with the original PS2 release of Rez?

Not exactly the same thing, but yeah, there was a special edition of the PS2 version sold in Japan that came with a "Trance Vibrator".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I seem to remember reading a 2-"player" review of that some years ago.

Anyway, have we covered cassette tape fanatics yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9TccPAgvU0

What's next, 8-track?!

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

E: And don't forget your magic magnetic talisman. Demagnetize everything, including the speaker drivers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq-a68vkjnQ

There's a magnet on every driver and the phono cartridge, so if you actually demagnetized all of that nothing would work right?

Also, it literally is called the talisman, I thought you were just making fun of him. I wonder if the company that sold it to him named it that tongue-in-cheek because they know it's bullshit. The talisman costs $275 by the way, https://walkeraudio.com/shop/talisman-magnetic-optimizer/

edit: also, I don't know what his mkIII cost but the new mkV is $105,000, https://walkeraudio.com/proscenium-black-diamond-contd/

double edit: That whole site is full of good stuff, especially the 'System-enhancing Products' section

quote:

Last year, we improved our Reference record clamp by adding our Black Diamond technology. Now, we’ve improved the record clamp again with the White Diamond crystal on top that intercepts and cancels harmful RF interference.

Crystals, like new age healing, but for your stereo. And at an affordable $1995 why wouldn't you buy this record clamp: https://walkeraudio.com/?product=record-clamp

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 13, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

KozmoNaut posted:

I've been looking at crazy audiophile videos on Youtube, and this one was pretty good. It's from the same channel as the previous overly-complicated turntable review.

Urge to kill...rising! :argh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's another one from the woo-woo archives, DIY sewing thread-suspended speaker cones!

http://www.steenduelund.dk/scanspeak8554.pdf

Without trying this myself, I'm pretty sure any speaker modified in this way would tear itself apart instantly when run at its full rated power.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

"But wouldn't toslink or fiberoptic networking be better?" No! Because optical connections have massive jitter :pseudo:
:( There goes my idea to sell fluorite-tipped toslink cables for $5000 each.

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's another one from the woo-woo archives, DIY sewing thread-suspended speaker cones!

Without trying this myself, I'm pretty sure any speaker modified in this way would tear itself apart instantly when run at its full rated power.
Here's an "after" graph with no "before." It works!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

quote:

Please note that the following is a “how to” not “why to” modify the 8554.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

How come no measurement can show the improvement in sound quality from vibration dampening a DAC?

I can hear it clear as day on my system, so measurements obviously don't work!

Well uh... Ok then.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Wait, audiophiles do DIY? But how can they boast about it if they haven't spent five figures on it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait, audiophiles do DIY? But how can they boast about it if they haven't spent five figures on it?

There's a subculture that's all about stupid hell idiot DIY "tweaks". Like the good old blue tack on the spindle and a bit of copper wire for "horns" on the pick-up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because some audiophiles believe their ears are the most sensitive measuring equipment in the world, and that they know better than the legions of engineers working in the hi-fi industry.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fits into the 'one weird trick' mentality that underpins everything in audiophilia ever.

Also diamond hammers

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Brilliant. The cable crazies seem to have run out of steam to fluff up their fancy cables, and have now resorted to claiming that (paraphrased) I am a cloth-eared git and that I don't belong on a serious hi-fi forum.

(Google translation massaged a bit for readability)

quote:

As the debate has evolved, this post is perhaps superfluous. But I have become aware that you are using a DAC, that I also sell. It is commonly used to convert TV audio to analog in the absence of a digital input on the amplifier. It is not intended as a HiFi product. I connected one this morning to a stereo with a $550 Yamaha CD player as a reference........ With this experience as a reference, I am suddenly able to understand why you do not observe the sonic differences in the countless elaborate contexts we have presented you with. The DAC sounds nice but it is not suitable for serious HiFi at all, nor is it intended as such.

What are the odds that he did no such thing, and that he's just making poo poo up in order to further his own agenda?

The DAC in question is the FiiO D3, which can be bought for less than $30 on Amazon, and has received rave reviews from just about everyone who isn't a raving audiophile (and from some audiophiles as well!).

But I guess it just isn't big and clunky and fancy-looking enough to be able to sound good :(

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 17, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
A truer Google translation: 'My ears and experience are better than yours, you unsophisticated pleb."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ynohtna posted:

A truer Google translation: 'My ears and experience are better than yours, you unsophisticated pleb."

He works on the sales floor of Elgiganten, a Scandinavian mainstream electronics chain. They sell mobile phones, hair trimmers, washing machines, TVs and "home theater in a box"-type stuff. The fanciest poo poo they sell is Bose.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Ah, definitely the type who'd be desperate to fuel a petty superiority complex, then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Brilliant. The cable crazies seem to have run out of steam to fluff up their fancy cables, and have now resorted to claiming that (paraphrased) I am a cloth-eared git and that I don't belong on a serious hi-fi forum.

(Google translation massaged a bit for readability)

What are the odds that he did no such thing, and that he's just making poo poo up in order to further his own agenda?

The DAC in question is the FiiO D3, which can be bought for less than $30 on Amazon, and has received rave reviews from just about everyone who isn't a raving audiophile (and from some audiophiles as well!).

But I guess it just isn't big and clunky and fancy-looking enough to be able to sound good :(

Tell him you (obviously :rolleyes) tweaked it with [make something up].

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ynohtna posted:

A truer Google translation: 'Do you even lift?'"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Have some more bullshit. These two products were recently recommended to me, with the highest possible praise.

http://www.francktchang.com/acousticresonators.html

http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/roomtuning/rr-77.html

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There have actually been a few reports of people becoming physically ill when these things get turned on/off.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

There have actually been a few reports of people becoming physically ill when these things get turned on/off.

As opposed to people becoming mentally ill before buying them?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TheMadMilkman posted:

Supposedly it's an electronic pulse, not a sound wave.

I'm fairly sure it does literally nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Isn't it an infrasonic sound generator? Some people get a feeling similar to seasickness when exposed to constant infrasonic sound waves.