Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

The Taint Reaper posted:

They need to release Mother 3 in America and put it on a disc with Mother 2 just like they did with Kirby and Mario.

I mean how much is it going to cost to translate a GBA game at this point?

Much more than the money they'd get from people buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bass Bottles posted:

Just started a newgame+ in Shovel Knight because I craved more. What does it change besides fewer checkpoints?

I also just found out that you can destroy checkpoints apparently. They..... stop working, though, of course.
You take double damage, there are less checkpoints (usually only 1-2 a stage as opposed to the usual 4-6), and all platters in the levels that would normally contain health contain bombs instead (exception: the boss rush near the end of the game alternates between bombs and turkey).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, I want Paper Mario as a sidescroller.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Starhawk64 posted:

Mother 3 will most likely never see an outside of Japan release due to the game's subject matter being questionable for western audiences. There's a group of characters that make Tingle look straight, the story is too dark and emotional for it to be in a Nintendo game, and for the simple fact that it is a GBA game. We should be lucky they even released Earthbound for Virtual Console, I bet they even did grudgingly. As the Robot Chicken E3 sketch shows, Nintendo really doesn't like the Western Mother fanbase, I can see why, they are pretty obnoxiously obsessed with the series. It's also possible Mother is the red-headed step-child of Nintendo franchises. So yeah, don't count on a Western Mother 3 release anytime soon.

I didn't even know Earthbound was called Mother 2 in Japan. I do remember getting expelled from school one year and spending the next three months watching Quantum Leap and playing the poo poo out of Earthbound though. It even came with a strategy guide that included scratch and sniff stickers.

I'd buy the virtual console game but I am afraid I wouldn't enjoy the game like I did as a kid.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Starhawk64 posted:

Mother 3 will most likely never see an outside of Japan release due to the game's subject matter being questionable for western audiences. There's a group of characters that make Tingle look straight, the story is too dark and emotional for it to be in a Nintendo game,

You're making it sound like it's Saint's Row 3 and 4.

Mother 3 is not that at all. Mother 3 does not even begin to approach the debauchery of other things that have been released in America that went on without incident.

You can't mercy kill you best friend after he was dragged by a rival gang's vehicle and you look him in the yes while you're wearing high heels and are a 300lb Asian man in a speedo with clown makeup on. And then you hold him and blow his brains out.

In other words Mother 3 is tame as poo poo. They even put the guy in Smash brothers. It's only been blown out of proportion by the fandom because they're no worse than bronies. hell Xenoblade had more edge than Mother 3.

And this is also made moot because Nintendo has Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 coming out on the system, you wanna talk weird dark and filled with sex, that's Bayonetta.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 13, 2014

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, I want Paper Mario as a sidescroller.

Be careful what you wish for:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Paper_Mario

The game did have its moments but it dragged on big time for chunks of the game. Super Paper Mario, why couldn't you be more like Thousand Year Door!?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hekk posted:

I didn't even know Earthbound was called Mother 2 in Japan. I do remember getting expelled from school one year and spending the next three months watching Quantum Leap and playing the poo poo out of Earthbound though. It even came with a strategy guide that included scratch and sniff stickers.

I'd buy the virtual console game but I am afraid I wouldn't enjoy the game like I did as a kid.

Earthbound holds up really well. You should pick it up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The "next gen" consoles are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the textures will be brown. The accumulated filth of all their fps and "open world" cover shooter games will foam up about their waists and all the bros and teens will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "It's a me, Mario!" 

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Much more than the money they'd get from people buying it.

It's too bad they don't (can't?) just buy Tomato's translation. I believe he's a professional translator who did the project on the side out of love, and I bet he'd give it to them for free.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
No need to bet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nickoten posted:

It's too bad they don't (can't?) just buy Tomato's translation. I believe he's a professional translator who did the project on the side out of love, and I bet he'd give it to them for free.

It's likely that there's issues beyond the existence of the translation there. For example, Nintendo may legally not be able to take him up on the offer for the translation. Let's pretend for a moment that Tomato is a dirty lying bastard who stole work for the translation from other people who are not credited anywhere. He's not, but I'm using a hypothetical. Anyway, our goatee'ed, mirror-universe counterpart of Tomato stole a bunch of other people's work and took the credit for the sake of glory and then offers the work to Nintendo. If Nintendo were to take him up on the offer then they'd be open to legal consequences. Nintendo can't just assume that they're dealing with Good Tomato and not Evil Tomato.

There's a lot more reasons beyond that which would prevent Nintendo from just using the fan translation even though it's been offered to them. I won't say it'll never happen because stranger things have occurred in this world, but realistically it's not feasible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Besides making up scenarios, what's actually plausible in terms of Japanese and US statutes regarding the purchase of user generated content?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 13, 2014

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Chucklefish has apparently acquired some user generated content for Starbound officially, but that was made in a mod editor which comes with a EULA saying they can do so. So not quite the same thing as a completely unofficial fan translation.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Well, when this is brought up, usually people point out that Visual Novels have bought fan translations before. Stines;Gate being one example.

On an outside note, Tomato did the official subtitles for that Anime.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

the truth posted:

The Galaxy games are fantastic and still look great. They don't need HD reskins, but we do need a Super Mario U-niverse.

I'm really surprised they haven't capitalized on that sort of title yet, and I really hope they do. 3D World was surely 3D, but didn't have that same 3D Mario (64, Galaxy) feel.

Kaubocks posted:

You take double damage, there are less checkpoints (usually only 1-2 a stage as opposed to the usual 4-6), and all platters in the levels that would normally contain health contain bombs instead (exception: the boss rush near the end of the game alternates between bombs and turkey).

I am humbled and embarrassed to say I am stuck at that New Game+ boss rush at the end. It's one of the very few parts in that game where you have to put your Mega Man face on.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Random Stranger posted:

It's likely that there's issues beyond the existence of the translation there. For example, Nintendo may legally not be able to take him up on the offer for the translation. Let's pretend for a moment that Tomato is a dirty lying bastard who stole work for the translation from other people who are not credited anywhere. He's not, but I'm using a hypothetical. Anyway, our goatee'ed, mirror-universe counterpart of Tomato stole a bunch of other people's work and took the credit for the sake of glory and then offers the work to Nintendo. If Nintendo were to take him up on the offer then they'd be open to legal consequences. Nintendo can't just assume that they're dealing with Good Tomato and not Evil Tomato.

There's a lot more reasons beyond that which would prevent Nintendo from just using the fan translation even though it's been offered to them. I won't say it'll never happen because stranger things have occurred in this world, but realistically it's not feasible.

Nintendo's own first party titles on the e-shop have coding from emulators that third parties made unofficially and they took and used the emulators without question.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Stop posting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nintendo's own first party titles on the e-shop have coding from emulators that third parties made unofficially and they took and used the emulators without question.

No they don't you dumb gently caress.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nintendo uses software and libraries released under FLOSS licenses, including Nanojit for the Wii U virtual console apparently. Suggesting they ripped out code from third-party emulators though is almost guaranteed to be complete FUD.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Xik posted:

Nintendo uses software and libraries released under FLOSS licenses, including Nanojit for the Wii U virtual console apparently. Suggesting they ripped out code from third-party emulators though is almost guaranteed to be complete FUD.

Oh so it's open source then. It sort of baffled me with the Wired articles making it seem like they had the emulators procured from other places that were already existing. Because they made it seem like the Virtual Console had most of the legwork done already and they were just ignoring the American VC because they were just primarily focused on japan.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

greatn posted:

The "next gen" consoles are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the textures will be brown. The accumulated filth of all their fps and "open world" cover shooter games will foam up about their waists and all the bros and teens will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "It's a me, Mario!" 

This is the saddest thing I've ever had the misfortune to read.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Steve2911 posted:

This is the saddest thing I've ever had the misfortune to read.
I honestly liked it better when all the console warrior shitposting was wholly confined to the other thread, and this one was just about playing Wii U games.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'd pay good money to have that post animated. I really want to see a guy looking down at a bunch of other guys and whispering that he's Mario using Mario's tagline.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That makes me think of this

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah I don't care what explanation or context you give to Peach having super powers based around excessive emotion, it's still sexist. The concept would never have even come up with a male character.

It's like making a game with a black Mario character where Bowser poisons the Mushroom Kingdom's grape soda supply. "Oh, it's not racist, Blario is the hero because he hates grape soda and is the only person who doesn't drink any!"

Men get emotional but a lot of society tells us to well it up inside, women on the other hand are generally not so 'tada' you have a stereotype emerge. It's racist to say black people enjoy grape soda because for a hundred years we demonised them and made them build our game consoles.

Women are not demonised for having super powers based around excessive emotion, men would be.

In conclusion someone should make a game where there is a female lead character and rather than running around violently murdering everyone, like is the stereotype for men. Instead she should climb inside their heart and cause them to die on the inside. I would play that game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nolgthorn posted:

Women are not demonised for having super powers based around excessive emotion
You're right. They're trivialised and mocked for it instead.

'Oh that silly woman, using her tears to grow a flower. She must be wild with moon's blood!'

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nolgthorn posted:

In conclusion someone should make a game where there is a female lead character and rather than running around violently murdering everyone, like is the stereotype for men. Instead she should climb inside their heart and cause them to die on the inside. I would play that game.

Fantastic Voyage 2; Heart Attack :unsmigghh:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Steve2911 posted:

'Oh that silly woman, using her tears to grow a flower. She must be wild with moon's blood!'

I have heard that people say that they are uncomfortable with the Vibe powers, but I've never heard of anyone going so far as to say something like that.

As for my take on "Peach has emotions as a superpower": Peach has control over her emotions. She never really succumbs to her emotions like the enemies do, and they don't make her weak either. I'd say it's borderline sexist because the way Vibes work is girly as all hell, but at the same time it's is more beneficial for Peach than detrimental because this is what saves the day in the end.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Do eShop SNES games offer a fast forward button that emulators have? I'm assuming they don't.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Wildtortilla posted:

Do eShop SNES games offer a fast forward button that emulators have? I'm assuming they don't.
Nope, the only features they have are remapping buttons and save states.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I just got my balance board today! I bought the digital version. Had my first exercise session, the plank is brutal, I'm sure I'll get better. I'm also having a lot of trouble not having one leg wobble like a jackass while keeping up swinging my other extremities all over the place.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Folt The Bolt posted:

I have heard that people say that they are uncomfortable with the Vibe powers, but I've never heard of anyone going so far as to say something like that.

As for my take on "Peach has emotions as a superpower": Peach has control over her emotions. She never really succumbs to her emotions like the enemies do, and they don't make her weak either. I'd say it's borderline sexist because the way Vibes work is girly as all hell, but at the same time it's is more beneficial for Peach than detrimental because this is what saves the day in the end.

Mocking women as crazy and overly emotional is one of the oldest and most common sexist tropes, and SPP plays directly into it. All other details about how it helps her save the day are totally loving irrelevant.

jfc the lengths people will go to deny sexism. I sort of figured Super Princess Peach was too obviously sexist for everyone on the planet not to agree on. Guess I was wrong!

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

enojy posted:

I'm really surprised they haven't capitalized on that sort of title yet, and I really hope they do. 3D World was surely 3D, but didn't have that same 3D Mario (64, Galaxy) feel.

Galaxy is way closer to 3D World than it is to Mario 64, imo. It had some open free-roaming stuff, but nothing on the level of Mario 64 or Sunshine.

Bass Bottles posted:

Mocking women as crazy and overly emotional is one of the oldest and most common sexist tropes, and SPP plays directly into it. All other details about how it helps her save the day are totally loving irrelevant.

jfc the lengths people will go to deny sexism. I sort of figured Super Princess Peach was too obviously sexist for everyone on the planet not to agree on. Guess I was wrong!

What if she's on her period, though?

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 13, 2014

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
When I got my Wii U a few weeks ago I got a boat load of games with it: NSMBU, 3D World, DKC, MK8, and Pikmin 3.

I've played everything except 3D World cause I want to finish NSMBU before I touch it. However, Pikmin 3 is shaping up to be one of the best games I've played in years. I figured I would enjoy it, I liked the previous two games, but holy smokes, this one is blowing me away. I almost wrote it off initially because the controls felt wonky, but I forced myself to become comfortable with them and I'm glad I did. Everything about this game is fun and charming. It has just the right amount of challenge for me, it's not too easy that it's boring and it's not hard enough to become a headache. Just enough to make you focus on the tasks at hand. The only thing going against the game is the noise every Pikmin makes when thrown.

I love Pikmin 3.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Wildtortilla posted:

When I got my Wii U a few weeks ago I got a boat load of games with it: NSMBU, 3D World, DKC, MK8, and Pikmin 3.

I've played everything except 3D World cause I want to finish NSMBU before I touch it. However, Pikmin 3 is shaping up to be one of the best games I've played in years. I figured I would enjoy it, I liked the previous two games, but holy smokes, this one is blowing me away. I almost wrote it off initially because the controls felt wonky, but I forced myself to become comfortable with them and I'm glad I did. Everything about this game is fun and charming. It has just the right amount of challenge for me, it's not too easy that it's boring and it's not hard enough to become a headache. Just enough to make you focus on the tasks at hand. The only thing going against the game is the noise every Pikmin makes when thrown.

I love Pikmin 3.

Oh man, me too. I just got it as a free game bonus with Mario Kart and didn't think much of it, but I think it's one of the most relaxing games I have ever played. There's something weirdly satisfying about watching your Pikmin build a bridge or kill a boss.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Oh man, me too. I just got it as a free game bonus with Mario Kart and didn't think much of it, but I think it's one of the most relaxing games I have ever played. There's something weirdly satisfying about watching your Pikmin build a bridge or kill a boss.

Yea, it's a weird form of relaxing. It gets you into a zen state, but instead of doing something mindless like in a lot of relaxing games, you're building bridges, blowing up walls, or murdering huge monsters. It's excellent!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Bass Bottles posted:

Mocking women as crazy and overly emotional is one of the oldest and most common sexist tropes

We are a sexually dimorphic species it is not always the case that because men and women are different in some respects that it is automatically sexism whenever any of those actual real tangible and oft seen differences are mentioned. You don't see a female duck going up to a male duck and saying "hey stop accusing me of desiring to sit on eggs!"

Princess Peach is a character who creators are interested in keeping interesting, so her characteristics are exaggerated. She doesn't represent all women just like Mario's ability to turn into a squirrel doesn't represent all men, she just is a character in the Mario universe.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Can we talk about how great it would be if men turned into raccoon things though?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Princess Peach is not an interesting character hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

We are a sexually dimorphic species it is not always the case that because men and women are different in some respects that it is automatically sexism whenever any of those actual real tangible and oft seen differences are mentioned. You don't see a female duck going up to a male duck and saying "hey stop accusing me of desiring to sit on eggs!"

Princess Peach is a character who creators are interested in keeping interesting, so her characteristics are exaggerated. She doesn't represent all women just like Mario's ability to turn into a squirrel doesn't represent all men, she just is a character in the Mario universe.

That is amazing. You are amazing.

noirstronaut posted:

Can we talk about how great it would be if men turned into raccoon things though?

I've seen a few people who, after a few days without shaving, have made this mighty transformation. They suck at flying though.

• Locked thread