Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

paragon1 posted:

People who take the risk that the dog running at them isn't a killer warbeast: literally everyone not in an active combat zone.

Cops don't have the luxury of assuming they aren't in an active combat zone. It boggles my mind that people who hate cops and see them as nothing but pure evil also have some kind of mental block in front of understanding why cops would be on higher alert than anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Cops don't have the luxury of assuming they aren't in an active combat zone. It boggles my mind that people who hate cops and see them as nothing but pure evil also have some kind of mental block in front of understanding why cops would be on higher alert than anyone else.

It boggles my mind that cops assume everyone wants to kill them and their immediate response to anything that could even possibly be perceived as a danger is shoot to kill.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

E-Tank posted:

It boggles my mind that cops assume everyone wants to kill them and their immediate response to anything that could even possibly be perceived as a danger is shoot to kill.

I definitely agree that they should show more restraint in general, but choosing shooting dogs as your hill to die on is a very poor strategic choice, since it's a clearly defensible position that people deliberately choose not to understand because they've chosen to have a best friend that is indistinguishable from a potentially lethal threat to a stranger.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

I definitely agree that they should show more restraint in general, but choosing shooting dogs as your hill to die on is a very poor strategic choice, since it's a clearly defensible position that people deliberately choose not to understand because they've chosen to have a best friend that is indistinguishable from a potentially lethal threat to a stranger.

You do realize that you can rather easily detect when a dog is saying 'Hi there!' and when he is saying 'gently caress off!', right?

It's not something that you have to be a loving dog whisperer for.

I could say this right now, straight up. If a cop came into my home, and shot my dogs, I don't know what I'd do. I don't know if I'd be able to stop myself from trying to hurt the officer to defend my animals. If cops are so loving terrified of people, they should be terrified of what those people might do in anger or in the attempt to save their animals.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 13, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I really don't hate cops at all but thanks for assuming that. Maybe, just maybe, a siege mentality isn't super conducive to law enforcement that doesn't shoot children while aiming for household pets.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

paragon1 posted:

People who take the risk that the dog running at them isn't a killer warbeast: literally everyone not in an active combat zone.

I mean it's really not hard to tell pretty drat quickly what a dog intends to do. They aren't unknowable beasts from the beyond for fucks sake.

Quite right. That's cats.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cops don't have the luxury of assuming they aren't in an active combat zone.

Neither do 7-11 clerks or taxi drivers. Does that mean they should be allowed a different standard in the use of force?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cops don't have the luxury of assuming they aren't in an active combat zone.
Everything you need to know about policing in America.

This isn't your neighborhood, it's fuckin' Fallujah. War on Crime is 24/7/365 citizen.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

Neither do 7-11 clerks or taxi drivers. Does that mean they should be allowed a different standard in the use of force?

The only reason I can think of why someone would want to attack or kill someone for being a 7-11 clerk or a taxi driver is if someone was robbing them, which is a risk inherent in any job that involves handling money. I can think of a lot more reasons why someone would want to attack or kill someone for being a cop, and the general attitude of this thread is pretty exemplary of them. People seem to regard them as subhuman scum because of the highly visible bad things that a few of them do, while the largely invisible ways we benefit from them are ignored.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It has never been safer in American history to be a cop then it currently is and that's a trend that keeps going in the right direction every year and has been doing so for decades. Violence is going down in society, not up. Someone is making a lot of money convincing police officers that they need to fear for their lives which simply isn't loving true. The list of occupations which have more deaths and accidents in America alone is enormous and that's in occupations where people aren't out to kill you ever. Police offers getting shot/stabbed/kicked happens but it's not significant cause of death in the field. As was mentioned a few pages back the vast majority of cops who die on the job do so driving their cars. Despite that I don't hear police talking about how the freeway is a warzone and civilian drivers are enemy combatants.

Guns don't kill people, cars do. :suicide:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Everything you need to know about policing in America.

This isn't your neighborhood, it's fuckin' Fallujah. War on Crime is 24/7/365 citizen.

Pretty much. I'm just glad the cops in my tiny town haven't subscribed to that mentality yet.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Why should we pretend being a cop is dangerous when cops have the unlimited right to shoot any person or dog based on third-degree hypotheticals? You're not ever in danger if you get to shoot every dog you see because it might be part of a criminal conspiracy and might clamp onto your leg so a person who might exist can get the drop on you. You're taking ridiculous precautions against made-up dangers to ensure you never face any actual jeopardy, at the expense of everyone else's safety and freedom.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013

The only reason I can think of why someone would want to attack or kill someone for being a 7-11 clerk or a taxi driver is if someone was robbing them, which is a risk inherent in any job that involves handling money. I can think of a lot more reasons why someone would want to attack or kill someone for being a cop, and the general attitude of this thread is pretty exemplary of them. People seem to regard them as subhuman scum because of the highly visible bad things that a few of them do, while the largely invisible ways we benefit from them are ignored.

So if it's a risk inherent to the job, taxi drivers and 7-11 clerks have the right to shoot any costumer they come across because they don't know that costumer's intentions?

E: or is it just police that are allowed to do this?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm still wondering why the guy shot the dog that was in a locked car.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

ImAMinister posted:

So if it's a risk inherent to the job, taxi drivers and 7-11 clerks have the right to shoot any costumer they come across because they don't know that costumer's intentions?

Especially given that taxi drivers are, as a matter of actual fact, killed on the job more often than cops...

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

computer parts posted:

I'm still wondering why the guy shot the dog that was in a locked car.

Because cops enjoy killing things and know they will never be held responsible. That dog could have been an advance scout for an invisible drug dealer!

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

ImAMinister posted:

If I'm not mistaken, you have the right to defend yourself if someone's legitimately threatening you (anyone, not just cops). Cops don't have the luxury of assuming that dogs running towards them aren't threatening. I understand that most people see this as ridiculous, but most people aren't cops and deliberately choose to not understand because they seem to think that cops should be suicidally altruistic.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

No one has disputed the right to defend yourself from a person or dog who is actually attacking you. What does that have to do with breaking into someone's house or car and shooting their dog, a common cop recreational activity that is the subject of the incidents cited on this page? You don't get to claim dog self-defense when the only reason the animal is physically able to interact with you at all is because you illegally broke down a barrier between you and the dog in the first place.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013

If I'm not mistaken, you have the right to defend yourself if someone's legitimately threatening you (anyone, not just cops). Cops don't have the luxury of assuming that dogs running towards them aren't threatening. I understand that most people see this as ridiculous, but most people aren't cops and deliberately choose to not understand because they seem to think that cops should be suicidally altruistic.

A legitimate threat, you say. Not just a possible one?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You still haven't explained why a lone dog calls for lethal force. Why is a gun the go to as opposed to the array of other tools that police have at their disposal.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

paragon1 posted:

I mean it's really not hard to tell pretty drat quickly what a dog intends to do. They aren't unknowable beasts from the beyond for fucks sake.

The police are in an active combat zone. Everyone everywhere is an insurgent waiting to kill them. Weren't you listening?

Anyway, I've yet to hear a real reason why the rules governing use of force on animals (that aren't the subject of a call) are different for the police (who just happened to hop a fence without warrant or invitation) and anyone else who might go to someone's door.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

paragon1 posted:

You still haven't explained why a lone dog calls for lethal force. Why is a gun the go to as opposed to the array of other tools that police have at their disposal.

There seems to be an unstated assumption here that cops should treat dogs like little people. I hate to break this to you, but dogs aren't people. I understand that this is hard for some to grasp since they get so emotionally invested and attached to them. I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as other options (hit it with a baton? dog has successfully distracted you. pepper spray it? i'm not sure that would actually be effective in most situations).

On that note, I think it's absolutely absurd that shooting a police dog is equivalent to shooting an actual human cop in the eyes of the law. Dogs are not people.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

There seems to be an unstated assumption here that cops should treat dogs like little people. I hate to break this to you, but dogs aren't people. I understand that this is hard for some to grasp since they get so emotionally invested and attached to them. I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as other options (hit it with a baton? dog has successfully distracted you. pepper spray it? i'm not sure that would actually be effective in most situations).

I fully acknowledge that dogs are property. I don't think cops should destroy my property for fun. You seem to disagree.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
How about not escalating the situation and calling animal control? Or, if time is a factor, there is pepper spray marketed specifically for use against aggressive dogs, as well as other non-lethal repellents. Unless your argument is that any attempt to not kill the dog is a ~distraction~ that will get the police officer killed. What about in situations with more than one officer? Why can't one deal with the dog while the other covers him? I guess de-escalation is just a distraction.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
Furthermore, dogs are hardly the issue here. The issue is a completely permissive police culture that allows abuses like this to occur

http://youtu.be/u7B1VIbl4x4

E: At least these officers lost their jobs, but have since been fighting to be reinstated and given back pay. The fact of the matter is that they should have been arrested and charged for their actions like any other citizen would be.

E2: Stop resisting

Eugene V. Deadlift fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 13, 2014

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
More people want to kill cops than your average civilian. Their paranoia seems a little justified.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Cole posted:

More people want to kill cops than your average civilian. Their paranoia seems a little justified.

quote:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/27/16196680-police-deaths-down-23-percent-this-year-across-us

Overall, the statistics indicate that, despite its dangerous image, police work isn't among the most hazardous jobs in the U.S. The death totals work out to about 1.56 per every 100,000 sworn federal, state and local officers across the country — less than half the rate of 3.5 per 100,000 for U.S. workers in all jobs in 2011, the last year for which complete figures were available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Firearms-related deaths fell to 49 this year, the memorial fund reported

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/16/u-s-murder-rate-higher-than-nearly-all-other-developed-countries-fbi-data/

quote:

But the 2012 murder rate — 4.7 murders per 100,000 people — was significantly higher than in most other wealthy nations.

You are more than 7 times as likely to be murdered as a "civilian" than a cop. The idea that cop work is particularly dangerous or life-threatening just isn't true.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

Let's further militarize the police and give them more latitude, that should end the cycle.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

Let's further militarize the police and give them more latitude, that should end the cycle.

Or we could repeal the 2nd amendment and confiscate all guns so that police wouldn't have to be militarized just to be able to stop an average criminal, but it's not like that's ever going to happen.

You can either let everyone have all the guns they want OR de-militarize the police. You don't get to have both.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Or we could repeal the 2nd amendment and confiscate all guns so that police wouldn't have to be militarized just to be able to stop an average criminal, but it's not like that's ever going to happen.

You can either let everyone have all the guns they want OR de-militarize the police. You don't get to have both.

Urban areas aren't the ones with gun nuts stockpiling weapons.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Urban areas aren't the ones with gun nuts stockpiling weapons.
It is if you watch lots of movies from the late 80s/early 90s I guess.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Let's not get too far into gunland, but with 300 million weapons in circulation police won't go feeling safer just because we pass some extra laws. And the bottom line is that police are not particularly in danger, which is why I mentioned the jobs of cab driver and convenience store clerk earlier. Perceptions of danger do not validate disproportionate use of force, as we all said in the old Trayvon threads.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Neither rural or urban areas are under any epidemic of gun crime or police deaths, both of which have been on a continuous year-to-year downturn for decades. The "all those civilians trying to murder me" cop mentality is solely due to cops being paranoid, violent, and dumb and not due to anything in reality.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

meat sweats posted:

Neither rural or urban areas are under any epidemic of gun crime or police deaths, both of which have been on a continuous year-to-year downturn for decades. The "all those civilians trying to murder me" cop mentality is solely due to cops being paranoid, violent, and dumb and not due to anything in reality.

Has anyone considered that police die at a relatively low rate as a consequence of their overzealous brutality, or does that make too much sense?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Has anyone considered that police die at a relatively low rate as a consequence of their overzealous brutality, or does that make too much sense?

Generally zealous brutality makes people more likely to want to see you dead.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Increased cop deaths are an acceptable tradeoff for returning civil liberties and the rule of law to this country. Cops want to crow about how dangerous their work is and how they should get so many benefits as a result, they should put their money where their mouth is.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013

So do you think this justifies overzealous brutality?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

"Everyone is out to kill me, so I should kill them first" is not a healthy attitude for someone to have if they are going to be put in a position of power. If that's the only reaction they can muster, they shouldn't be serving the public. If you think that's altruism, then yeah, they should be altruistic.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So is Ableist playing devil's advocate, or does he legit believe that cops can do no wrong and we are blessed when they kill only our dogs and not us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

E-Tank posted:

So is Ableist playing devil's advocate, or does he legit believe that cops can do no wrong and we are blessed when they kill only our dogs and not us?

This is what I'm talking about when I say people are blinded by emotion. Shooting dogs is perfectly justified; just because you know your dog is a sweetheart and loves people doesn't mean a stranger can tell that. Police can't take the risk that it's some kind of attack dog. Not even considering the cop's perspective of not wanting to be bit by a dog, it's in the public's best interest for the police to not expose themselves to unnecessary risk of death while doing their job.

Don't conflate shooting dogs with legitimate issues of police brutality, it isn't doing you any favors.

• Locked thread