Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

quote:

America has been swept up in a sudden interest in soccer. We generally prefer our sports to be violent and eventful, but there’s a magic in soccer that’s captivating: the most favorite sons of a nation, competing for said nation’s honor. It’s as if each country sent their own “Avengers” team to protect their sovereignty on a world stage. My own jingoism brought me to television screens and surreptitious, compulsive ALT-TABs to the ESPN Gamecasts as our team fought for glory. In was during one of these contests that I realized rooting for the USMNT was a familiar feeling; it was precisely the same as listening to Nas. In that moment, I realized we were hosed.

The USMNT’s World Cup contests played like Nas’ discography: the subtle, thrilling, inexplicable brilliance of the win over Ghana was our Illmatic: An auspicious debut (“Live at the BBQ”/however many previous World Cups notwithstanding) that captured the nation’s attention and made us believe in a limitless future. What followed was a 2-2 tie with Portugal, our It Was Written. While ultimately unsatisfying and short of expectations, enough was shown to justify the attention and future hope. The USMNT then followed with its Stillmatic, or more specifically “Ether”: an obvious, brutal loss to Germany that in the end still gave all the benefits of a decisive win. The US was finally eliminated in our Life Is Good, a 2-1 loss to Belgium. A contest and album both defined by exemplary efforts, punctuated by an ultimate let-down.

The USMNT roster is full of the same brilliance and barf of a Nas record. Tim Howard’s brilliance made the game look too easy, the same as Nasir’s flow at his peak powers, leaving your mind unable to conceive how the hell the guy did it. The USMNT defense and midfield took up the Bravehearts banner: often outclassed, frequently embarrassing. Michael Bradley earns the Big Horse honor; the one person so bad that you ended up learing their name via bad connotations. The USMNT manager employed Nas-ian tactics as well, often choosing the starting 11 with the same lack of logic and feel Nas displays when choosing beats to rap over. Combined, it’s a familiar set of frustrations made all the more painful when compared to the easy brilliance of Brazil’s Jay Z, the technical mastery of Germany’s (not-sober) Eminem (Brazil vs. Germany being their “Renegade,” where Germany/Eminem killed Brazil/Jay on their own poo poo, obvs), or the effortless creativity of Argentina’s Biggie.

The truest comparison between being a Nas fan and rooting for the USMNT is also its most simple: no matter how thrilling the peaks, no matter how perfect the technique… deep down, everyone knows a loss is coming. Two pillars of excellence, Nas and the United States, inexplicably can only stay on top for the briefest of moments before crumbling into a sea of squandered talent and lost expectations. We will always try to convince ourselves it will be different “this time,” if only because the lie allows us to enjoy the moment.

The USMNT can reverse its Nas-L-of-destiny, and it’s as simple as avoiding the mistakes Nasir has made in his career. (Semi-related: prenups are a good idea for everyone.) We must choose our team wisely; contributions of the past are less valuable than actual contributions. The USMNT cannot keep fielding the soccer equivalent of weed carriers if we expect to win anything significant. Finally, the USMNT must establish an identity centered in our talents: chasing trends or copying more successful teams (call it “Escobar-ing") will only ultimately do our nation a disservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

lmao this belongs in a museum

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this is in the so bad that it's good category

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

what the gently caress is wrong with these people

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

"lol"

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Michael Bradley earns the Big Horse honor

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Dunban posted:

Sounds like a good honor, op

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Dunban posted:

It's earned him a good escobar-ing

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

goldmine

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Genesis is such a great intro

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I hope some one Escobars that writer

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I don't know who Nas is so I can't fully appreciate that article.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

"My own jingoism brought me to television screens and surreptitious, compulsive ALT-TABs to the ESPN Gamecasts as our team fought for glory."

That's my favorite part.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Frankston posted:

he's the Ronaldo of rap OP

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Frankston posted:

He wrote one of the best rap albums ever then he got negged by Jay Z to the point where Jay Z's mum had to get involved.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Syncopated posted:

he's the Ronaldo of rap OP

More like Alvaro Recoba

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Monday Bandele posted:

More like Alvaro Recoba

I do not know who this is, could you compare him to a heavy metal artist perhaps?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Syncopated posted:

I do not know who this is, could you compare him to a heavy metal artist perhaps?

Yeah he's like Nickelback or Limp Bizkit

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What about a pop punk artist

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

thanks nate silver

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Ugh, only one decimal place?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chris de Sperg posted:

thanks nate silver

I loving hate nate silver ever since I found out he does anything other than political projections.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Chris de Sperg posted:

thanks nate silver

Eh, tbf it was reasonably close to what really happened. Still dumb as hell and Nate Silver should stick to predicting election results.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Eh, tbf it was reasonably close to what really happened. Still dumb as hell and Nate Silver should stick to predicting election results.
You could use that exact chart for almost any match involving two reasonably well-matched teams in the history of football and it would be "reasonably close to what actually happened"

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

St Evan Echoes posted:

You could use that exact chart for almost any match involving two reasonably well-matched teams in the history of football and it would be "reasonably close to what actually happened"

Welp, shows what I know.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Also, the "score" in any sort of stats would be 0-0, I think. Certainly in terms of betting, it was.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Can't have 0 SOG in a world cup final. Disgusting

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What the gently caress does SOG mean

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

Six other genders

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

One would assume Shots on Goal but it's probably something much much worse.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
No defensive plays from Messi, he's loving done, poo poo player.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Supporters of Other Games, it's a term for people who post about football without knowing wtf they're talking about.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Big Black Dick posted:

Six other genders

would explain the mediocre passing

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Hahaha

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao there was literally a guy in the Canadian Politics thread in D&D getting mad at our national broadcaster for not cutting off part of the World Cup final to put on a loving rodeo, and when pressed he said that guys who wrestle cows for money are the finest athletes in the world :wtc:

quote:

Why don't you try it, then, if it's so easy? Have you ever actually seen a rodeo, apart from maybe CFR, NFR or Stampede? It's a lot loving harder than kicking a soccer ball around, and you'll see it if you actually see a rodeo that hasn't already selected the best athletes in the world.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There are rodeos in Canada?

edit: oh it's the cheese guy lmao

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 14, 2014

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

vyelkin posted:

lmao there was literally a guy in the Canadian Politics thread in D&D getting mad at our national broadcaster for not cutting off part of the World Cup final to put on a loving rodeo, and when pressed he said that guys who wrestle cows for money are the finest athletes in the world :wtc:

Hahaha

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747