Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I'm planning on buying a brand new pc, without an OS since I already have Windows 7 on my current. Is there a way I can get the key for my current windows installation, and someone download Windows 7 again and use the key on my new computer? I won't be using my old one anymore, so it'll only ever be used on a single computer at a time. Seems like a waste to have to re-buy an OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If your current computer has an OEM license it's against terms to move it to the new machine.

If it's not, something like Belarc Advisor will spit the key out at you.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's the go to torrent program these days for lightweight, but supports RSS feeds? It seems Utorrent has become nightmarishly bloated.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Reminder: You're charging an app whose full footprint with working files and everything is under 20 megabytes, on an operating system whose base footprint is 20 gigabytes, as nightmarishly bloated.

Normally I would tell you to go buy some perspective, but yes, uTorrent is going out of its way to be money-grubbing dicks to the user lately.

But given how actually bloated Java-based BitTorrent clients are, and how Qbittorrent is still having trouble not losing its mind (and let's not get started on the support structure you need to add to ports from Linux), I'm not sure there's any quality BT clients left on Windows.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

uTorrent 2.0.4 Build 21586 still works fine, and doesn't come with any nagging.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Also uTorrent backpedaled hard on their most recent attempt to take out the 'turn off ads' stuff in its advanced options, you could give that a shot and still be fine with the current version.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I kinda wish things in the torrent software world would go back to the days before uTorrent (on Windows). There was quite a lot of variety and experimentation and development going on. There were standout clients, sure, but it was nice seeing all the energy around it.

Then uTorrent happened. What an excellent piece of software. A big win for torrents and users too. But it kinda made everything else seem like crap, and it didn't take too long for a lot of the other clients out there to die out.

At least the few options that are out there now are pretty solid. That's definitely a plus compared to the old days.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
What do folks have for their Disk Cache settings for uTorrent 3.4.2? I have no idea what's good or bad to check off.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Reminder: You're charging an app whose full footprint with working files and everything is under 20 megabytes, on an operating system whose base footprint is 20 gigabytes, as nightmarishly bloated.

Normally I would tell you to go buy some perspective, but yes, uTorrent is going out of its way to be money-grubbing dicks to the user lately.

But given how actually bloated Java-based BitTorrent clients are, and how Qbittorrent is still having trouble not losing its mind (and let's not get started on the support structure you need to add to ports from Linux), I'm not sure there's any quality BT clients left on Windows.

I've never been concerned about memory usage, I just don't like having a client that looks like my dad's old AOL toolbar.

I just installed the newest build to try it out, and the fact that I had to decline 4 additional installs of software as I installed it does not bode well.

Bouchacha posted:

uTorrent 2.0.4 Build 21586 still works fine, and doesn't come with any nagging.

2.0.4 is the one I'm using on my old computer but that's being changed into a HTPC that won't be on at all times, so I'm moving downloading to my main PC (it's literally only been a utorrent/media server forever now). I figured I'd see if there was anything new out there. The biggest problem I have with 2.0.4 is the RSS feed administration is lacking (and it looks like it is in the newest build too), so exporting feeds is only accomplished buy cutting and pasting the old directory/file. :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What's wrong with qBitTorrent?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using deluge for about a year, and I've been fairly happy with it, but then again I don't use it all that often, and I don't do anything fancy like this guy:

Medullah posted:

The biggest problem I have with 2.0.4 is the RSS feed administration is lacking (and it looks like it is in the newest build too), so exporting feeds is only accomplished buy cutting and pasting the old directory/file. :(

What do you use RSS for in a bit torrent client? I'm genuinely curious. Feeds of show episodes?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

hooah posted:

I've been using deluge for about a year, and I've been fairly happy with it, but then again I don't use it all that often, and I don't do anything fancy like this guy:

What do you use RSS for in a bit torrent client? I'm genuinely curious. Feeds of show episodes?

Yeah, without going into too much :files: talk, RSS feeds plus Plex leads to an amazing DVR solution.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So I heard rumblings that Windows 9 was possibly coming out soon. Is this true or just an unsubstantiated rumour?

I'm getting a new laptop and wondering if I should wait.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ceaselessfuture posted:

So I heard rumblings that Windows 9 was possibly coming out soon. Is this true or just an unsubstantiated rumour?

I'm getting a new laptop and wondering if I should wait.

Depends if you consider early to mid 2015 soon.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's wrong with qBitTorrent?

Nothing as far as I can tell (from an end user perspective). The RSS stuff can be a bit wonky but it works eventually.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Got a question about the "Date last accessed" function that's disabled by default. I know I can re-enable it globally, but would it be possible to specify a certain folder or hard drive ONLY to be affected by it?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

pandaK posted:

Got a question about the "Date last accessed" function that's disabled by default. I know I can re-enable it globally, but would it be possible to specify a certain folder or hard drive ONLY to be affected by it?

I've no idea, but keep in mind that you don't want to do anything critical that relies on dates and times unless you are in a very controlled environment. What constitutes an access or modification, or even a creation, varies depending on the tool that does it, and is even inconsistent within Microsoft's own products. Dates and times are the bane of my existence in digital forensics.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gromit posted:

I've no idea, but keep in mind that you don't want to do anything critical that relies on dates and times unless you are in a very controlled environment. What constitutes an access or modification, or even a creation, varies depending on the tool that does it, and is even inconsistent within Microsoft's own products. Dates and times are the bane of my existence in digital forensics.

It's nothing major, "fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 0" just makes it so that all your files' last accessed dates actually update properly. I just want to know if there's a way to limit that to one particular folder.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a program out there that can take multiple PDF files and merge them into one giant PDF? I'm trying to print off a series of webpages into a faux-book but I don't want to have to print off each page as an individual PDF. I have Foxit Reader on my laptop but it doesn't seem to have an option for that. I think I can get access to the full Adobe PDF program at work but I haven't actually used it before.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

C-Euro posted:

Is there a program out there that can take multiple PDF files and merge them into one giant PDF? I'm trying to print off a series of webpages into a faux-book but I don't want to have to print off each page as an individual PDF. I have Foxit Reader on my laptop but it doesn't seem to have an option for that. I think I can get access to the full Adobe PDF program at work but I haven't actually used it before.

I just used PDFTK today to merge a bunch of PDFs. http://ddg.gg/pdftk

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

doctorfrog posted:

I just used PDFTK today to merge a bunch of PDFs. http://ddg.gg/pdftk

That's exactly what I was hoping to find. Thanks!

Happysafer
Feb 12, 2007

"You idiots!"
I'm looking for video editing software for work with a short but specific list of requirements. I'm using a PC.

1) Must handle H.264 MP4 encoding at various bitrates.
2) Frame-accurate editing. We currently use Aiseesoft Media Converter Ultimate, and it only allows trimming in whole second increments.
3) It would be really nice to have basic transitions (really just a fade to/from black.)

I'll be using this exclusively to prepare captures from Sony XDCAM through Blackmagic Media Express capture cards for upload to a digital download/on-demand online store. I'm really just trimming stuff when it fades to and from black, and possibly adding promos and/or disclaimers to the video. I don't need some beefy piece of software, but it needs to be easy enough to use that if I take a vacation that my coworkers can use it.

My boss is looking at Pinnacle Studio Ultimate, but it costs $130 and I remember it being pretty clunky. I tried avidemux and there's no way my department will be able to use it. Any thoughts? Thanks!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
What's the best archive manager these days? Everyone still using 7zip? I feel a bit wary of it because it hasn't had a new non-alpha in such a long time, but not sure what else might be comparable.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I still like the UI/UX of WinRAR the best out of all the programs I've used (and I think there might be some updates to the format as it has managed to open some split RARs that 7Zip and The Unarchiver on Mac could not), but it does cost money. For free it's hard to beat 7Zip.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

TheQat posted:

What's the best archive manager these days? Everyone still using 7zip? I feel a bit wary of it because it hasn't had a new non-alpha in such a long time, but not sure what else might be comparable.

I felt the same way a couple of months ago. I switched out 7-Zip for PeaZip, hated it, and went back to 7-Zip. You could try PeaZip (just install it through Ninite) but until 7-Zip gives me serious problems with file extraction, that's what I'm going to use.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I swear I asked this, but I can't find it. Google does a bunch of results, but figured I'd get goon opinion. Thinking of doing a reformat and reinstall on one of my computers as it's been repurposed as a HTPC and has a ton of unnecessary crap on it. However, my Windows 7 disc is a launch copy. Is there a way to copy the Windows updates that have been installed on this machine and cache them after I reformat so I can not have to download a gazillion gigs of updates again?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Medullah posted:

I swear I asked this, but I can't find it. Google does a bunch of results, but figured I'd get goon opinion. Thinking of doing a reformat and reinstall on one of my computers as it's been repurposed as a HTPC and has a ton of unnecessary crap on it. However, my Windows 7 disc is a launch copy. Is there a way to copy the Windows updates that have been installed on this machine and cache them after I reformat so I can not have to download a gazillion gigs of updates again?

No. You can put updates on the installer disk (a process known as "slipstreaming") so that you don't have to wait until after the OS is installed to then update, but you can't use an already up to date Windows install as the source of those updates to slipstream.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Medullah posted:

You can download a more up to date ISO and use your key on that, although you'll still have a few updates to download.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GokieKS posted:

No. You can put updates on the installer disk (a process known as "slipstreaming") so that you don't have to wait until after the OS is installed to then update, but you can't use an already up to date Windows install as the source of those updates to slipstream.

Yeah I used to do this with XP discs all the time with NLite. Oh well. Thanks. :D

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for software to make backup copies of DVDs, ideally directly from one DVD drive to another. The huge majority of DVDs will be Single Layer so re-encoding isn't an issue -- but I'd like that feature if possible.

This is for my mom, in other words, it has to be as dead simple as possible -- one click if possible.

It does not have to be free.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Note sure if anyone cares but I'm posting this from what may be one the oldest computers that can run Windows 8.1.

Pentium M 2.26Ghz

Getting occasional hard locks but I haven't tested with another OS yet so I don't know if its hardware or software. I'll test with Win7 and Linux later as well as clean out the guts and re TIM the heatsinks.

Browsing the web is ok with Chrome but a bit sluggish. Webmail is fine and 480p youtube is fine. 720p youtube is sometimes tolerable but usually not. MPC-HC choked on some h.264 1080p24 modern encodes. Haven't tried coreAVC yet. No DXVA with the GPU I have. Still a nice machine if the web experience was just a tab less sluggish. Perhaps I need to use a new browser/OS. Installing Win8.1 was just for fun given the age of the hardware. HalloKitty did a similar test a week ago but my machine is more baller.

edit: kudos to MS for having the Quadro FX Go 1400 driver in the cloud. I was dreading having to hack INFs and drivers to get that working. Driver obviously wasn't on the stock install media but it was detected through windows update. The only thing that didn't work was sigmatel sound and that worked after installing the Dell XP/Vista driver.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 18, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I'm trying to recover some files off of a Windows 98 machine. I wasn't successful in installing the USB driver, and its CD-ROM drive doesn't burn discs. My next though was to plug an ethernet cable into it and a laptop (Windows 7) and pull the files off that way. However, the computers wouldn't recognize each other. I did some searching and found a suggestion to set a static IP on each and put them on the same subnet. So I set the laptop to 192.168.5.1 and the old desktop to 192.168.5.2, both with subnet mask 255.255.255.0. They didn't recognize each other. I did some more searching and found a tip to set each computer's default gateway to the other's IP address. I did that, and no change.

I'm not sure what sort of duplexing detection the desktop has, so I guess I might need a crossover cable? Any other suggestions? Would bringing my router into the picture help at all?

So I finally got around to buying a USB to IDE cable. In the meantime, however, I'd deleted the guy's documents (i.e. into recycle bin, empty recycle bin). Is there software I can use to recover them over the cable?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

hooah posted:

So I finally got around to buying a USB to IDE cable. In the meantime, however, I'd deleted the guy's documents (i.e. into recycle bin, empty recycle bin). Is there software I can use to recover them over the cable?
It's been a while, but Recuva did a decent job at that for free. As long as you haven't written anything to the disk since, that is.

LazyArtifact
Mar 23, 2006

Medullah posted:

What's the go to torrent program these days for lightweight, but supports RSS feeds? It seems Utorrent has become nightmarishly bloated.

I switched to Tixati after uTorrent became weird and started popping up tray notifications about exciting new offers all the time. It supports RSS feeds, but I haven't used it for that. Seems like a pretty solid program.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I set up a HTPC and I'm trying to make the booting of it as seamless as possible to emulate a set top box. I created a standard Windows 7 user and an Admin user for installing, etc, and has it booting directly to the HTPC user, and starts Plex on boot.

However, I have the Plex account linked with my dropbox folder for sharing pictures, etc. I realized that could be a security issue if the computer is ever stolen. Is there any alternative to password protecting the account, so that it only logs in automatically (either to Windows or to Dropbox) when it's connected to my network? Even a script that checks for connectivity to X network and if it doesn't see it, it logs off?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or you can just change your dropbox password if you're ever robbed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Or you can just change your dropbox password if you're ever robbed.

That goes without saying, but any of the files locally on the system are still accessible. I suppose I could just selectively share a few folders that I don't care much about.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

That goes without saying, but any of the files locally on the system are still accessible. I suppose I could just selectively share a few folders that I don't care much about.

You can enable Windows encryption which only allows access to your files if the selected user is logged in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

You can enable Windows encryption which only allows access to your files if the selected user is logged in.

Yeah but the point is the user is logging on automatically, so that would be the same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

Yeah but the point is the user is logging on automatically, so that would be the same problem.

Yep, sorry. It still would be useful in addition to finding a script that automatically disconnects if it loses the network.

It might also be useful to find offline security means. If you say it stays within your network, it seems like it would be easy to secure against robbery.