Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I think I know why my dwarves were so keen to start a new home.....

Although, they have moved to Woshiprazor.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
It's just a phase. They'll get over it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Edited out dickish parallelism chat. Sorry for the noise.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 13, 2014

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

So an elk bird just killed 7 of my dwarves, but it didn't get a name.

They all drowned trying to get to it. :downs:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

scamtank posted:

It's been the default from at least version 31 on. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in there from the very start.

Well poo poo. I must have had it set up to auto-forbid corpses instead for the longest while, letting me enable them when it was safe.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Toady is running on the mindset that everything is totally critical and needs to happen with pinpoint accuracy. Toady wants a synchronous system; everything happens at very precise moments and he wants to knows when exactly when it happens for log keeping. On the flip, asynchronous means that you don't care about specifics, you just want something back eventually. After programming with the synchronous mind, he probably thinks he wants to know what the second a gremlin had a brain fart to decide to start a raid on your fortress. Actually, that kind of stuff can be shunt off to another core because do you really care about recording the MILLISECOND that gremlin decided on leading the raid party? Not really. It could be a second earlier or later, hell a day or month later or earlier is fine.

You really don't care about what's happening in the world outside your fort until sometime decides to come in from that world. This can be inaccurate and no one would even guess (unless he based calculations on CPU clock).

That case statement from before is pretty funny, but decompilers can put out really strange code so I won't join in on making fun of him yet. If his code does have a million switch statements, then solving that first along with all the other common programming problems would be the greatest start at improving performance.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
How hard would it be for me to fix the RAWs to allow brewing of the new plants? Big stockpile and nothing to do with it in my new fortress.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011
I'm trying to play Masterwork, but whenever I try to gen a world it crashes to desktop. Is there a way to fix this?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

WhenInRome posted:

I'm trying to play Masterwork, but whenever I try to gen a world it crashes to desktop. Is there a way to fix this?

It hasn't been updated for the new version yet.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Use the specific worlds that come with it or keep the history below 100 years and hope it doesn't crash.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

mornhaven posted:

Use the specific worlds that come with it or keep the history below 100 years and hope it doesn't crash.

All you really need to do is two things. Don't use the default basic world generation option, and never enter into the recommended/advanced version twice in a single instance of the program being up. Something about DF doesn't like entering into the advanced tool twice, so it'll crash. The advanced version can be configured in the launcher very easily anyways.

Maybe something else is going on though? Like Lawman 0 said if you plugged the .4 files into Masterwork it's obviously not going to work.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011
I'm not using .4.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hmm... where does it crash? Back when I was screwing with the embedded FB raws, even the slightest hiccup crashed the drat thing at cave populating.

dead horse
Oct 9, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

Anybody else have issues with wildlife staying on the map and not leaving? I've had a cluster of raven men hovering out of the range of my archers for about two years now, and it's annoying as poo poo (since no actual wildlife is coming onto the map while they are there).

This is actually the only issue I've had in my fort, I've somehow avoided the tree jumping and baby wave stuff. It seems to only happen with birds. You can move a military dwarf around to them and it'll scare them into moving off the map. Apparently going into the raws and removing their [FLIER] token works too.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Ahah man this game is so passive now.

"WOLVES!"
They all just stand there, I go right back to travel map. That's the worse bug, nothing attacks.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I've been enjoying finding random animals in my corpse stockpile and then trying to backtrack to figure out what happened. As far as I can tell two ravens crashed into each other and died from pulping their wings, another raven crushed it's skull flying into the ground and a giant thrips crashed into a tree and had all of its legs smashed into gore.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I bit the bullet and decided to give Adventurer Mode a go. So far I managed to equip my human with some iron boots, gauntlets, helm and breastplate. I feel accomplished! The equipment system is....laboriously painful.

Then I went to the nearest thing on the map. I think it is a friendly goblin hamlet. I'm killing everything and I'm sorry I was just so confused! I just wish there was an easier way to attack - if I don't go into 6 menus I just punch a dude.

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.
Apparently this dude is a holy river;

He died normally, what a weird job title.

e;
what is this town

DrMelon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 13, 2014

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Anyone have the fix for Quarry Bushes not producing Rock Nuts when processed?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Also I feel bad for Ngaxa Muddleankles, he just never seems to be able to catch anyone.

There are another two pages of this.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Wait, you can peek into someone else's conversation? How do you do that?

Incidentally, you're supposed to spread your fame and increase your party size by spreading tales of your exploits. Does telling some random shmuck in a tavern work, is shouting out more effective or am I better off seeking important people like lords and ladies?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Elth posted:

Incidentally, you're supposed to spread your fame and increase your party size by spreading tales of your exploits. Does telling some random shmuck in a tavern work, is shouting out more effective or am I better off seeking important people like lords and ladies?

I brag about success, then I stab them if they don't join me. Then I try the next guy until I'm dead or the village is empty.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Crimson Harvest posted:

Anyone have the fix for Quarry Bushes not producing Rock Nuts when processed?

That's busted too? Dang, Toady dropped the rawball.

It looks simple. He just forgot to make the reaction produce a seed in addition to the leaves. Add the second PRODUCT line into the mess, like so:

code:
[REACTION:PROCESS_PLANT_TO_BAG]
	[NAME:process plant to bag]
	[BUILDING:FARMER:CUSTOM_B]
	[REAGENT:plant:1:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE]
		[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BAG_ITEM]
		[UNROTTEN]
	[REAGENT:bag:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE]
		[EMPTY]
		[BAG]
		[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
	[PRODUCT:100:5:GET_ITEM_DATA_FROM_REAGENT:plant:BAG_ITEM]
		[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:bag]
	[PRODUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:plant:SEED_MAT]	***
	[SKILL:PROCESSPLANTS]
e: Hang on hang on I didn't notice that the quarry bush needed a little love too. Open up plant_standard.txt also and add this MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:

code:
[PLANT:BUSH_QUARRY]
	[NAME:quarry bush][NAME_PLURAL:quarry bushes][ADJ:quarry bush]
	[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
		[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
		[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
		[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SEED_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]	***
		[ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT:BAG_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:LEAVES:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:LEAF]
	[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 13, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Shadowlz posted:

Ahah man this game is so passive now.

"WOLVES!"
They all just stand there, I go right back to travel map. That's the worse bug, nothing attacks.

There's some heartening news, though. Personality stats are confirmed to have a direct effect on how much guts creatures have, even the non-sapient ones. Just up the aggression and bravery stats on predators and avot!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Elth posted:

Maybe the Spread Rumors option?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Elth posted:

That's what it says in fortress mode, when your current leader talks to the mountainhome liaison. Because it's technically not you, the player, holding the conversation, but a resident of the fortress, you as the player is sort of "peeking in" on it.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Welp, after running a successful fort for 4 years, it looks like my end has come in the form of a weremonitor-lizard that crashes the game when one the dwarvern caravan guards at my depot performs some action related to combat with it. I haven't looked into it too much so far, is there any specific way to find out what is crashing the game so I can at least report the bug? I have the DF itch now but probably going back to Masterwork for a few versions.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
:siren: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.03 Released :siren:

quote:

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Many more crash issues fixed. Mystery babies and large city walls had a corrupting effect that was not possible to manage, so saves are not compatible yet again. I'll try to keep saves together as we move forward, but there aren't any guarantees, especially this early on. If things have settled down on the stability front, I can finally move on to the optimizations and other issues. We'll see what happens!

Major bug fixes
(*) Fixed relationship screen crash from certain historial/old-player-fort migrants and adventurer migrants
(*) Fixed adv retirement cloning
(*) Fixed crash when game tries to realize certain low population sites
(*) Fixed crash/corruption problem from large city walls
(*) Fixed crash when asking about site trade partners
(*) Fixed problem causing travelers originating from realized forts/sewers/dungeons to go out of map bounds (caused crashes)
(*) Stopped the babies of the world from appearing in the unit list (and associated minimap crash)

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(*) Made farm plant list refresh properly with season selection

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hooray. Maybe he can now get to some niggling feature matters, now.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

scamtank posted:

There's some heartening news, though. Personality stats are confirmed to have a direct effect on how much guts creatures have, even the non-sapient ones. Just up the aggression and bravery stats on predators and avot!

Thought you meant literal guts and didn't even raise an eyebrow.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

babies havin rabies posted:

Welp, after running a successful fort for 4 years, it looks like my end has come in the form of a weremonitor-lizard that crashes the game when one the dwarvern caravan guards at my depot performs some action related to combat with it. I haven't looked into it too much so far, is there any specific way to find out what is crashing the game so I can at least report the bug? I have the DF itch now but probably going back to Masterwork for a few versions.

No idea about finding the crash, but if you use DFhack you could use it to kill the lizard to save your fort.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

nielsm posted:

Yeah no sorry, that's not keyboard input handling code. That's user interface code for converting a key-binding into text that can be displayed. It isn't something that needs to run often, and it's also quite likely that the compiler is able to optimize the code into a simple jump-table.
There really isn't anything funny or interesting about that code, it's just some boring UI helper function written in a quite standard way.
Actually it's called from the render loop. mainloop() calls enablerst::loop() which calls viewscreen_mapst::render() which calls gamest::printinterfacetoken() which calls getstringinterfacechar(). Every. loving. Frame.

pixaal posted:

A "simple" and by that I mean by multi threading standards solution would just be simulate the background world on 1 thread while the fortress runs input on thread 2 and the game on thread 3 with the main thread keeping track of everything and making sure the date doesn't get out of sync. Bug: It is the world 150 in the Fortress it is the year 17,212 outside the fortress all life is gone. The only life in the world is some dwarfs in a time dilation field.
The biggest problem with DF performance that I'm aware of is in the pathing system. Just caching routes would save so many cycles.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Niavmai posted:

No idea about finding the crash, but if you use DFhack you could use it to kill the lizard to save your fort.

Good idea... Is DFHack available for 40.02 yet though?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Orthogonalus posted:

Thought you meant literal guts and didn't even raise an eyebrow.

I didn't realise until I read your post and was disappointed. loving DF. I'm getting back into the last stable version to get ready for a stable (ish) version of this lot of updates to come out. Should I turn off disease or is it no longer an "every fortress will die to disease" thing?

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

EVIR Gibson posted:

That case statement from before is pretty funny, but decompilers can put out really strange code so I won't join in on making fun of him yet. If his code does have a million switch statements, then solving that first along with all the other common programming problems would be the greatest start at improving performance.
It's not from a decompiler. Toady released the source.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

In the first year of my fort I got seiged by elves. This was the first time the dwarves seen elves. They chased off and killed some livestock then left. I looked in the civilization menu and its just us dwarves. Are there roving bands of things just looking to gently caress things up now?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

babies havin rabies posted:

Good idea... Is DFHack available for 40.02 yet though?

There's a progress bar in the OP.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Well time to abandon my 40.02 fort, long live 40.03 I wasn't too far and wasn't sure I'd actually have my depot accessible in time for the first traders I built pretty high in the mountains. In this kind of situation I'd normally ignore the first year but I'm pretty sure traders freak out and go insane if they can't get to it (or was that fixed?) I really don't see it being fixed for several months its kind of low priority. Toady is going to focus on crashes, then adventure, then fortress. It also doesn't seem too game breaking, its an easy work around and something you probably want established anyway.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jack the Lad posted:

Okay so starting this I am completely lost and intimidated [...]
This got lost a few pages back. Would anyone mind pointing me towards a semi-recent guide, ideally not in ascii?

Specifically I'm thinking like a walkthrough of babby's first fort - bring these things for these reasons, when you embark make sure you make these stockpiles and workshops right away, then work towards farming, military, water, etc.

Just what I should do and what to prioritise, really, to get a handle on things. The number of options is pretty scary/off-putting :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

Jack the Lad posted:

This got lost a few pages back. Would anyone mind pointing me towards a semi-recent guide, ideally not in ascii?

Specifically I'm thinking like a walkthrough of babby's first fort - bring these things for these reasons, when you embark make sure you make these stockpiles and workshops right away, then work towards farming, military, water, etc.

Just what I should do and what to prioritise, really, to get a handle on things. The number of options is pretty scary/off-putting :shobon:

There's this. It's not updated to DF2014 yet, but that doesn't really matter because the update didn't add anything significant to fortress mode.