Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Smythe posted:

Hey guys. I just logged on to my drive to upload some files I'm planning to use at work next Monday and I got greeted with something really great: Drive is getting even better. I know, it sounds insane - Drive is already so far and away the best cloud storage and productivity suite that it seems kind of unfair to leave the competitors so far in the dust, but gosh darnit if I don't appreciate everything those GENIUS Googlers cook up in their wacky labs. Anyways, here's a neat little intro video that does a really swell job at explaining some of the wonderful new features you can find on Drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWvKAYKlnnM

Check it out at https://g.co/getdrive

okay, so what features did they remove?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

lol

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the iPad YouTube app is so bad it is unusable

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Management posted:

likely intentional.

does safari on ipad support the html5 video poo poo that youtube uses?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Management posted:

the interface is complete poo poo for uploaders fwiw; Google doesn't discriminate like that, apparently

im honestly surprised we have as much content on YouTube as we do

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ufarn posted:

im honestly surprised we have as much content on YouTube as we do
they were there first essentially, and regardless if it makes a profit or not it's not going anywhere unlike every other video-hosting service

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

German Cartel Office Says Google, Other Tech Giants Could Be Regulated Like Utilities: Report

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/13/german-cartel-office-says-google-other-tech-giants-could-be-regulated-like-utilities-report/

quote:

Asked in an interview with Germany’s Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper if he agreed with his political party’s chairman Sigmar Gabriel about “the destruction of Google”, Maas responded like this (via Google Translate and slightly edited):

“Imagine an energy company covering 95 percent of the total market. The antitrust authorities would be quickly on it. Such conditions in a market economy do not make sense, are not healthy. So yes, if Google has abused its dominant market position to exclude competitors systematically, then consideration should be given as a last resort, something like an unbundling.”

:unsmigghh:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

I'm the 90 minute football match that's been going on for 2 days

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

German Cartel Office Says Google, Other Tech Giants Could Be Regulated Like Utilities: Report

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/13/german-cartel-office-says-google-other-tech-giants-could-be-regulated-like-utilities-report/

:unsmigghh:
going to be great when nothing happens from this :q:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

they're already hosed if this is the kind of rhetoric european bureaucrats and politicians are using

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
eric schwartz heard to be muttering "just try something you vodka-snorting, fat-keistered atheists"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

google maps is terrible now

"let's randomly move all of the controls to the four corners of thes creen, remove labels, and have no tooltips! yeah!!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the person who came up with edge swipe/hold/tap-and-drop gestures should be swiped from his home, held over the edge of a cliff and dropped

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Piecontrols actually are quite useful but per app poo poo needs to die.

what will be the next stupid design trend? we had skeuomorphism now we have flat rectangles...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

duTrieux. posted:

google maps is terrible now

i get the impression that the new maps was made by a whole different team that thinks learning from past/others mistakes is "something that boring people do"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shifty Pony posted:

what will be the next stupid design trend? we had skeuomorphism now we have flat rectangles...

some 3d poo poo that uses the front facing camera and eats the battery

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i get the impression that the new maps was made by a whole different team that thinks learning from past/others mistakes is "something that boring people do"

if that was true they wouldn't nag me with tutorial callouts every other time i start it up

meanwhile, apple maps is really good now and the desktop app is great and it actually supports trackpads correctly (none of that amateur hour click and drag to pan and scroll to zoom poo poo)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Shifty Pony posted:

windows 3.1 buttons

pram
Jun 10, 2001
giant rounded 3d buttons

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Probably the google buzz team.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if that was true they wouldn't nag me with tutorial callouts every other time i start it up

meanwhile, apple maps is really good now and the desktop app is great and it actually supports trackpads correctly (none of that amateur hour click and drag to pan and scroll to zoom poo poo)

apple maps is still absolutely terrible at searching for addresses, especially in the presense of typos or whatever. gmaps will probably figure out what you're searching within a few keystrokes, but apple maps often won't think to search for "maybrooke dr" if you've searched for "may brook dr" and it'll list all the may brooks in the country instead of the maybrooke in your city.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
admit it, this is the new hotness

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tractor fanatic posted:

apple maps is still absolutely terrible at searching for addresses, especially in the presense of typos or whatever. gmaps will probably figure out what you're searching within a few keystrokes, but apple maps often won't think to search for "maybrooke dr" if you've searched for "may brook dr" and it'll list all the may brooks in the country instead of the maybrooke in your city.

yeah i guess it's my actual city privilege helping me out because it's not getting confused about "400 nw 26 st"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

apple maps on the iphone at least in :britain: is utterly poo poo at parsing addresses. if you feed it a street with a full postcode it doesnt even bother to recognise it as an address.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apple maps is actually capable of parsing my home address now, so I guess it has improved.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Caged posted:

apple maps on the iphone at least in :britain: is utterly poo poo at parsing addresses. if you feed it a street with a full postcode it doesnt even bother to recognise it as an address.
same here, if you have to go anywhere with floors in it youre hosed

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
all i really give a gently caress about is that google loose their ... idk nerdy hero kid in a bad action movie?? (that the real heroes visit so they can hack into the military satellite) brand with with all the dumb poo poo their pulling

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
shittons of people still going "oh google you're so delightful" like their watching a whimsical puppet show when behind the curtain is a boardroom full of people drinkin whiskey and saying "and then... nye hehehe we'll do this hehehe"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
people used to like microsoft

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gates was even a folksy lovable nerd

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lately I always use Maps.ipa for known places. google sucks balls at everythign except searching for places

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

yeah its weird hopefully itll be weird to think ppl used to like google soon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apple maps
in New Zealand is entirely sufficient and parses addresses well thanks

gently caress Tim and Steve in unison

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

gently caress Tim and Steve in unison

this but the opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

people liked microsoft when they were fighting against the evil IBM empire

people liked google when they were fighting against the evil microsoft empire

people liked _______ when they were fighting against the evil google empire

the new hero is yet to be defined. it's unlikely to be apple or Facebook.

• Locked thread