Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reive
May 21, 2009

razorrozar posted:

:laffo: someone in the comments said Golden Sun. That game was pretty by GBA standards but only by GBA standards. Even playing it on the Game Boy Player was enough to show it was a pixelated mess if you scaled it up at all.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder man, personally I love the lo-fi look of those kind of gba games way more than any of the high-res fighting game sprites in that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Reive posted:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder man, personally I love the lo-fi look of those kind of gba games way more than any of the high-res fighting game sprites in that thread.

Fair enough I suppose. GS also does look really good when you play it at the resolution it was designed for, especially the in-battle sprites for the characters.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was one of those kids on the playground that just made poo poo up, for some reason. Stuff that was totally unbelievable, by anybody who put a second of critical thought into it.

So of course my friends all tried to find the hidden boss in Super Mario 3, The Great Devil. I can't remember what bullshit lie I said would enable people to find him, other than you need the first two whistles and a P-Wing.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

whiteyfats posted:

other than you need the first two whistles and a P-Wing.
This sounds more like advice on how to speedrun the game. Complete world 1 for the P-wing, then use the whistles in sequence to get to world 8. Then use the P-Wing to skip the flying boat armada stage.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I used to love the Triforce in OOT bullshit, I went to some of the big sites for that (Odyssey of Hyrule for one). I'm pretty sure that is one of the biggest reasons I'm so drat skeptical of rumors today. I don't think I even believed it was there that long, the whole set of ridiculous criteria was just amazing to me. I never even tried any of them, I just liked the stories.

Though once some kid at my middle school threatened to beat me up because he "heard I knew about the Triforce in OOT" and said if I didn't tell him how to get it he'd kill me. I lied, and apparently that was good enough for him. Though maybe he had a fever dream where the bullshit worked, because he came to me later similarly threatening me if I didn't tell him how to get into Bill's Secret Garden in Pokemon.

(The other biggest reason I'm skeptical of stuff is that I was a giant pansy and couldn't handle scary stories, until I got over it by testing every drat scary story involving ritualistic bullshit not involving murder or sacrifice I could).

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Jsor posted:

I used to love the Triforce in OOT bullshit, I went to some of the big sites for that (Odyssey of Hyrule for one). I'm pretty sure that is one of the biggest reasons I'm so drat skeptical of rumors today. I don't think I even believed it was there that long, the whole set of ridiculous criteria was just amazing to me. I never even tried any of them, I just liked the stories.

I read all that too, and every rumour would follow the same pattern. The first few instructions would be very detailed, then become more and more vague until the person held the final step for ransom. You could never prove them wrong since they never gave you the entire process, and they'd later post that because of the constant begging they'd received, they'd never reveal the final step.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

I read all that too, and every rumour would follow the same pattern. The first few instructions would be very detailed, then become more and more vague until the person held the final step for ransom. You could never prove them wrong since they never gave you the entire process, and they'd later post that because of the constant begging they'd received, they'd never reveal the final step.

This was the big one for a while:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040120190111/http://internal.tbi.net/~max/zwow.htm

Just ignore that the sword's on the wrong side in one of the pictures...

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Have big, intentional mysteries that span entire games been brought up in this thread? I'm talking about things like the Trials HD riddle. What was the first game to do something like that?

Also apparently GTA V has something pretty elaborate going on in that vein but there hasn't been much progress on it yet.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I'm not exactly sure of the details, but I remember hearing that Payday had some very hidden puzzles in a few of its levels.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
http://payday.wikia.com/wiki/PAYDAY_Secret_ARG

There's one being built-up in the second game as well, and we even have our own thread about it.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

sinking belle posted:

Have big, intentional mysteries that span entire games been brought up in this thread? I'm talking about things like the Trials HD riddle. What was the first game to do something like that?

Also apparently GTA V has something pretty elaborate going on in that vein but there hasn't been much progress on it yet.

I know COD: Black Ops II has a ton of easter eggs in the Zombies mode. Doesn't involve the base campaign, but things you do on certain Zombie maps will affect what you can do/see on other maps in the Zombies mode.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

whiteyfats posted:

I was one of those kids on the playground that just made poo poo up, for some reason. Stuff that was totally unbelievable, by anybody who put a second of critical thought into it.

I remember I told some kid I had a flying modem that could hack his computer from the air. I'm not sure if I knew what a modem was...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jsor posted:

(The other biggest reason I'm skeptical of stuff is that I was a giant pansy and couldn't handle scary stories, until I got over it by testing every drat scary story involving ritualistic bullshit not involving murder or sacrifice I could).

You'll never really know if Leo's dead for sure unless you try killing your dog.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Apparently there was a Saturn port of Virtua Fighter 3.

http://youtu.be/0hk84nSsAv4

I'm not convinced. There are lots of things in the screen shots that look fake - there are clearly visible flat polygons (Saturn had already got round this issue in VF2, Last Bronx and Fighting Vipers), the texture resolution is way beyond what any console could do at the time, and the screen with Aoi's face features a poly count that looks higher than the arcade version (not to mention triangular polygons, which the Saturn didn't do).

Was there some kind of graphical upgrade? I doubt Sega would waste their time with it. The Saturn was a success in Japan, but it was (supposedly) western audiences that craved graphical superiority. The Saturn was a failure in those regions, so Sega had nothing to gain from it. At least the 32X and Sega CD attached to a widely successful console. Aside from that, Sega weren't about to release another add on, given that everything they ever made that plugged into an existing console (that wasn't a game) was a gigantic flop.

All that crap about SDK2 sounds like the desperate fanboyism that was around at the time - this belief that if only someone could unlock the Saturn's hidden power, it would be a PlayStation beater.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 12, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It might have been possible, considering how impressive the cancelled Shenmue prototype was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foZUcPQAMvg

That looks far better than many late full 3D PSOne games, including Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill. The only one that comes close would be Vagrant Story, but Shenmue's faces are still higher quality.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Ryo REALLY looks like '95 Michael Jackson there

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
That Shen Mu demo is what pushing the Saturn to it's limit looks like, and the VF3 screens floating around look way beyond even that. And as detailed as it was, the Shen Mu Saturn demo ran at about 15fps. Workable in an exploration scenario, but pretty much unplayable in a fighting game.

We've got a real example of what AM2 managed with the Saturn, and I'd expect a VF3 port to look somewhat similar. The screens don't look like console graphics, they look suspiciously like renders from a 3D graphics package.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

sinking belle posted:

Can you elaborate on this? It's hard to google.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Can you elaborate on this? It's hard to google.
There's a hidden room under mount chiliad which has Lost style paranoia scribblings all over the walls. People have linked it to jetpacks, full moon parties, dlc hints and all sorts.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there a write up about it somewhere? Sounds pretty cool.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Basically it started with the UFOs, there's a viewing platform at the top of Mount Chiliad that has a couple binoculars to view the vista, under the platform is a painted image of a UFO:

etched into the back of the wood is the phrase "come back when your story is complete".
If you have a 100% complete saved game and go to the viewing platform at 3AM while it's raining (which is hard to get to happen on it's own without cheats) a UFO will appear above it.

But that's just the beginning.
There are other UFOs that can be found in different ways.
One appears directly above a certain hippie camp at the maximum flyable in-game height, it has the FIB logo (in game FBI oragnization) written on it's side.
There's one that appears over Fort Zancudo at 3am, on it's side is the words "Segregate and Rearrange" (if you rearrange the word segregate like an anagram it turns into easteregg) and it's light points directly to an elevator shaft that's door iirc can be opened under certain conditions (rain?)
There's also a sunken UFO underwater that you can find using a submarine.

But the biggest thing that get's people crazy is this:

An image that appears in the lift building that takes you to the top of the mountain.

The intended purpose is unclear, it could just be considered instructions on how to get the ufo to appear in the first place, but the bottom right image of what appears to be a guy on a jetpack is what keeps the driving force of the easter egg hunt going.

There's a sub-reddit for it if you want to see people lose their minds over irrelevant information:
http://www.reddit.com/r/chiliadmystery

There's actually a lot of other easter eggs that could tie into it, and a metric fuckton of cryptic words and symbols hidden in strange places all over the game, it's very interesting even if it doesn't lead anywhere which is why I keep coming back and looking at it from time to time.

Reive fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 13, 2014

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That reminds me of the bug pentagram in skyrim, though I think that was just a coincidence

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

RentACop posted:

That reminds me of the bug pentagram in skyrim, though I think that was just a coincidence

Bug pentagram? I'm replaying Skyrim. Where and for what should I look?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Vavrek posted:

Bug pentagram? I'm replaying Skyrim. Where and for what should I look?

More info:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/12/21/skyrim-conspiracy-theory-insects-point-toward-armageddon.aspx

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Thats just about as generous a pentagram as you can possibly get.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
looks pretty regular to me :confused:

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
The map is theoretically a projection viewed from above (probably Mercator, like if you looked at Google Maps, based on the grid lines), not isometric or some other perspective (like if you were playing an older RTS) even though your brain will want to interpret say, the drawn on mountains that way. In other words, it only looks like what it's claimed to be because your brain wants to think the top of the map is farther away from you than the bottom and you're seeing it at a skewed angle. You're not, and it's an oval and some weird variable-angled pentagons, rather than a circle with regular pentagons.

It was an interesting thing to follow (sort of like the Rorikstead conjectures) but there's also no real substance to it in the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

I figured it out guys.

I was watching Fullmetal Alchemist and I strung this together. Heads up, this may contain indirect spoilers to the show if you haven't watched it...

My bet is that it means absolutely nothing.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

NeilPerry posted:

Anyone here remember the Nogg-aholics from the old WoW days? There's something that's been bugging me ever since I stopped playing WoW. I used change the models of in-game objects to other things allowing me to bypass barriers and so on(I could get inside the bug instance before the doors officially opened for example). The process was laughably simple, you just needed to identify the object you wanted to change, extract an object to change it with from the game files, put that new file into the WoW folder but give it the name of the object you want gone. When the game loads it'll load the fake file instead of the real one. Then a patch rolled out that hosed this up, and none of the nogg aholics wanted to tell me how to bypass it. I quit shortly after that. Anyone here who knew how to do it?

EDIT: Another thing you could do was take the in-game files of a not-yet-released instance and give them the names of an accessible instance. That way, when you entered the instance gate you'd be transported to a different one. But I could never figure out how to adjust the coordinates of your spawn point so often times I'd just fall to my death.

This is from a few pages (and months!) back, but I totally did this on live servers. I remember even going one step further and swapping out entire instance files .I mainly swapped Scholomance for Emerald Dream, because IIRC Scholomance was one of the few instances where it was low enough to the Emerald Dream ground that the fall wouldn't kill you. You basically just zoned into Scholomance, and then fell down and could walk around the Emerald Dream map. I explored pretty much all of it with a friend, it was pretty neat for an unfinished zone. Seems like a real shame we won't be seeing it anytime soon. I got really into exploration like that in WoW for a while, I'm kinda surprised I never even got suspended for it. I remember right before Cata launched I think there was a glitch where you could queue for a heroic dungeon as a druid in flight form and if you left the dungeon immediately it would keep you in flight form or something? So I was able to fly around old Kalimdor. It was neat, but like I said I had already basically visited all of it :v:

WoW had a lot of fun stuff like that which I had a blast exploring. I'd even say that was some of the most fun I had while playing WoW. I miss those Halcyon days... No other game has tickled my exploration itch in quite the same way.

That's all I really have to add to this topic. If someone is curious about WoW stuff I might be able to go into more detail but it's been a long time (several years) since any of this stuff was available.

EDIT: Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure the exploit was 1) queue as a druid in flight form 2) enter dungeon while still in flight form (now it puts you into caster form in the dungeon) 3) cast teleport moonglade (leaving a dungeon reverts you to what form you were in before the dungeon, so you're put back into flight form)

Silver Striker fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 14, 2014

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It was a lot of fun. One of my fondest WoW memories was getting into Mount Hyjal way before that Caverns of Time thing came out.

Not my screenshots, but it was so cool seeing that.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 14, 2014

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Frankston posted:

It was a lot of fun. One of my fondest WoW memories was getting into Mount Hyjal way before that Caverns of Time thing came out.

Not my screenshots, but it was so cool seeing that.

Even after they made the entire area affected by "No Man's Land", a buff and teleported anyone inside to the nearest graveyard and blocked long-range vision spells, you could still look around the zone as a Shaman with Far Sight but targeting the mountain peaks around the zone. It was fun back when WoW had big mysterious crap in it like that.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

CJacobs posted:

My bet is that it means absolutely nothing.

I find it pretty funny how "I bet we just stumbled on the next DLC" is part of all these speculations.

One of the reddit posts on the Bug Pentagram does give a link that interests me: it claims to be summarizing a lengthier lore discussion on Tiber Septim 'mantling' Lorkhan, Thalmor end goals, etc., which I've heard about second-hand. Sadly, the forum is down for maintenance.

While the bug pentagram is ridiculous, I do really enjoy Elder Scrolls lore discussion. Thank you, Reive, Dux Supremus.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vavrek posted:

I find it pretty funny how "I bet we just stumbled on the next DLC" is part of all these speculations.

One of the reddit posts on the Bug Pentagram does give a link that interests me: it claims to be summarizing a lengthier lore discussion on Tiber Septim 'mantling' Lorkhan, Thalmor end goals, etc., which I've heard about second-hand. Sadly, the forum is down for maintenance.

While the bug pentagram is ridiculous, I do really enjoy Elder Scrolls lore discussion. Thank you, Reive, Dux Supremus.

Here's one understanding. Tiber Septim is the oversoul of Hjalti Early-Beard and Zurin Arctus; the Underking is the oversoul of Ysmir Wulfharth and Zurin Arctus; Talos the human is the oversoul of Hjalti Early-Beard and Ysmir Wulfharth. These oversouls were formed by all three men spending enough time with the Numidium and the Mantella that they began to mantle Lorkhan; the oversouls then mantled Lorkhan independently and perfectly, which was followed by the oversouls becoming the Gestalt entity that is Talos the god. (In this interpretation Talos wasn't fully ascended until the Underking died at the end of Daggerfall.)

ES lore is insane.

Reive
May 21, 2009

razorrozar posted:

ES lore is insane.

Isn't there a part of TES lore were the universal timeline is literally broken and reset?
With the way TES magic works with being able to trap souls and create pocket universes, a giant apocalyptic magic circle doesn't seem that far fetched.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Reive posted:

Isn't there a part of TES lore were the universal timeline is literally broken and reset?
With the way TES magic works with being able to trap souls and create pocket universes, a giant apocalyptic magic circle doesn't seem that far fetched.

The Warp in the West, yeah. Basically Daggerfall had a bunch of endings and Bethesda wanted to build off of all of it so they said the Mantella/Numidium getting destroyed literally broke time so that all the possible endings of Daggerfall happened simultaneously.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The easiest way to understand ES lore is "If you (as the player character) don't outright see it happen, take it with a grain of salt as to if it's true (as far as video game lore can be)." The vast majority of it is in character explantions of questionable validity (see: Anything about Vivec and CHIM), or Kirkbride wanking over his involvement with it as he so likes to do (see: ...anything about Vivec and CHIM).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Some new sprites have been found for the Japanese prototype Monster Party

As it turns out the game was going to be a horror movie parody game and the bosses sprites were going to be very different things, including some surprising choices like a reference to The Planet of the Apes?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rita Repulsa posted:

Some new sprites have been found for the Japanese prototype Monster Party

As it turns out the game was going to be a horror movie parody game and the bosses sprites were going to be very different things, including some surprising choices like a reference to The Planet of the Apes?

A video of the game in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-hB4KZ_RcQ

It has starched pants walking around like J. Edgar Hoover on a Tuesday afternoon.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

razorrozar posted:

A video of the game in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-hB4KZ_RcQ

It has starched pants walking around like J. Edgar Hoover on a Tuesday afternoon.

Do you have a video of the game that doesn't have the unfunny fat neckbeard mugging at the camera and yelling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Do you have a video of the game that doesn't have the unfunny fat neckbeard mugging at the camera and yelling?

That's the only one I've watched, I'm on my phone, and my YouTube app is broken, so I can't look for more. I think JonTron is funny :shrug: