Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

The original line was apparently "ボクに匂いは隠せないよ" or "You can't hide that smell from me."

So, uhh, yeah.

How did two different translators come up with the semen thing independently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Scratch and sniff panel on the page. Doesn't translate well to the internet, but if you've got the book in your hands... lets just say it smells like semen.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Silver2195 posted:

it must be some wacky Japanese metaphor?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

Your guess is as good as mine because the japanese word for semen isn't in that phrase at all. Like, I'm sure the phrase is equating Giselle to smelling of something exclusive to men, but there were so many other options to take.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 10, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can you partially destroy a kingdom of spirits without breaking a sweat?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DrSunshine posted:

Maybe he meant that he can smell a man's scent, whatever that means. At any rate, yeah, that is a completely terrible translation! Wow!

She's absolutely drenched in Old English.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Silver2195 posted:

Sometimes a rough text translation is thrown up on some forum by some guy who looked at the scanned raws and it's really obvious that every group that "translated" a chapter just took what that guy posted, cleaned up the grammar and threw in some fucks / shits to make it edgier.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

lol there's more words in this post than like the past 5 chapters of this comic

Yeah, some people don't find writing to be super challenging or time-consuming. I'm sorry if it was too much for your reading level, though :(

AnonSpore posted:

The original line was apparently "ボクに匂いは隠せないよ" or "You can't hide that smell from me."

So, uhh, yeah.

That makes far more sense.

FallenGod posted:

Sometimes a rough text translation is thrown up on some forum by some guy who looked at the scanned raws and it's really obvious that every group that "translated" a chapter just took what that guy posted, cleaned up the grammar and threw in some fucks / shits to make it edgier.

Particularly obvious here as I can't read mangastream b/c of broken images, but the translation I read called it semen too. Oop.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From someone I heard the Japanese word seieki was in there. It means stench or smell but is also pretty much the Japanese word for Semen.

(I have no idea if this is true or not just saying what I heard.)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
LESSON TIME KIDS, gather around.

There is nothing in that phrase that is seieki, that has its own kanji.

精液 = sei eki = semen

If we were to use hiragana it would be...

せいえき = se i e ki

And now you all know a little bit more about semen, aren't you happy?

:eng101:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

MonsterEnvy posted:

From someone I heard the Japanese word seieki was in there. It means stench or smell but is also pretty much the Japanese word for Semen.

(I have no idea if this is true or not just saying what I heard.)

EDIT: ^^^Beaten in more detail.

At least from the transcription above, there's nothing even close to that. He says nioi but that's obviously nowhere close to being some pun for seieki, and seieki uses different kanji altogether which has nothing to do with stench or smell. Your friend probably picked up misinformation somewhere.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 11, 2014

Thoren
May 28, 2008
"You reek of semen!"|
"Let's kill these fuckers!"

Oh Mangastream.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I thought this thread realized a while ago that whoever Mangastream has on Bleach has been phoning it in for like this entire arc.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

BlitzBlast posted:

I thought this thread realized a while ago that whoever Mangastream has on Bleach has been phoning it in for like this entire arc.

As much effort to translate as the author puts into writing this poo poo. Just get on with it gently caress.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
The mangastream translator for One Piece is a friend of mine, so you'll all be happy to know that the translator for Bleach is graduating and they'll be looking for a new one soon. I've brought up the questionable interpretation of Mangastream's translations with him a few times, but it's hard to point things out when I have no clue what the original script reads as.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

pinegala posted:

The mangastream translator for One Piece is a friend of mine, so you'll all be happy to know that the translator for Bleach is graduating and they'll be looking for a new one soon. I've brought up the questionable interpretation of Mangastream's translations with him a few times, but it's hard to point things out when I have no clue what the original script reads as.

Tell your friend to tell that guy the Internet thinks he sucks at his job.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gyges posted:

She's absolutely drenched in Old English.

Just wanna point out that you meant Old Spice, Old English is a furniture polish. Which would be pretty funny in its own right I guess :v:

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Shugojin posted:

Just wanna point out that you meant Old Spice, Old English is a furniture polish. Which would be pretty funny in its own right I guess :v:

And Olde English is a malt liquor. If all the Sternritter have been drinking tallboys every time they are off panel, they might make more sense.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shugojin posted:

Old English is also a most horrific after shave. Sometimes called old English leather. I got it for my dad for fathers day when I was a kid. I was a horrible son.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ohhh neat. Don't use aftershave, didn't know that.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Shugojin posted:

It works when characters have basically have personalities like blocks of wood.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

hiddenriverninja posted:

It works when characters have basically have personalities like blocks of wood.

"I know you're secretly a guy. You smell like you got wood"

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
"You smell like a dude. Show me..."

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

hagie posted:

"You smell like a dude. Show me..."

Look at me; now look at the chair; now back to me; I'm a Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Widely varying translations seem to be a common theme with Bleach.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Widely varying translations seem to be a common theme with Bleach.

Can I ask what the original word was?

hagie posted:

What does the kanji on Kirinji's paddle say/mean?

Kirinji.
There is no kanji, only hiragana. Unless I'm not seeing what you are

Beef Waifu posted:

LESSON TIME KIDS, gather around.

There is nothing in that phrase that is seieki, that has its own kanji.

精液 = sei eki = semen

If we were to use hiragana it would be...

せいえき = se i e ki

And now you all know a little bit more about semen, aren't you happy?

:eng101:

Just to be sure I wasn't missing some silly pun in there, I decided to go to jisho.org and look it up.
ザーメン or サーメン(zaamen/saamen) or 精(sei) are literally the only common ones.
Bleach may be bad, but Kubo's writing isn't THAT bad. Also, what does "You reek of semen" even mean? Is he wearing crusty jizz-stained undergarments or something?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Postal Parcel posted:

Bleach may be bad, but Kubo's writing isn't THAT bad. Also, what does "You reek of semen" even mean? Is he wearing crusty jizz-stained undergarments or something?
You know how some time ago there was this idea that girls biologically got turned on by the smell on semen so there were these guys who made these kind of frankensteiner perfumes from their own semen and rubbed their whole bodies in it?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bisse posted:

You know how some time ago there was this idea that girls biologically got turned on by the smell on semen so there were these guys who made these kind of frankensteiner perfumes from their own semen and rubbed their whole bodies in it?

What if she's just a lesbian then?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

What if she's just a lesbian then?
how did she get the semen

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's just really lovely wordplay for "you smell like a man."

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Anyone else get a Dandy vibe off of Kirinji? (I've been watching Space Dandy lately, although TBH I'm not sure why.)

Bleach Manga Thread 15: You Smell Like Semen

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AlistairCookie posted:

Anyone else get a Dandy vibe off of Kirinji? (I've been watching Space Dandy lately, although TBH I'm not sure why.)

Bleach Manga Thread 15: I Dream Of An Afterlife Where Everything Is Covered In Semen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C3RrvZMx-M

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AlistairCookie posted:

This has my vote.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

AlistairCookie posted:

Well he's got a pompadour. And he's a moron. So yes.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
So I'm curious as to how each one of the squad zero people are going to get wrecked. Should be fun to watch.

Bleach Thread 15: Arguing if that's semen or not.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
A little update on the whole "You reek of semen" discussion: it's not, as some pepole claim, a mistranslation; and it's neither a complete invention by Mangastream, or a half-assed translation that somebody put up on an internet forum. What Kubo wrote is literally "精液臭いよキミ", which translates into "You smell like semen", and that's why both Mangastream and Mangareader used the word "semen".

Source: the copy of Shonen Jump that I bought.

Edit: Here is also a tweet with the sentence in question. It's not very clear, but there aren't that many kanji that look just like the word semen.

I Love Annie May fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 14, 2014

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Zexerous posted:

So I'm curious as to how each one of the squad zero people are going to get wrecked. Should be fun to watch.

Bleach Thread 15: Arguing if that's semen or not.

New (old) moves we have never seen. I have a feeling Yamamoto's bankai may come into play. And it can't be hollow healed since he is dead.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
It was semen after all.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

You are making GBS threads me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Bleach Manga Thread 15: It was semen after all

• Locked thread