Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Some Numbers posted:

So I guess I need to go watch Black now?

I watched it fairly recently and I would definitely say you need to go watch Black now unless you can't stand the older shows. There's some filler in the middle you can skip through, but the show really really nails the last 15 or so episodes and the landing.

And then falls down and breaks every bone in its body with RX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Just watched the new episode.

Guys, I don't think Takatora isn't coming back. I really don't think Urobutcher would do a fake-out with his death twice in one series. Not only that, but it looked to me like his belt was shattered by Micchy. If he was to come back again at this point, it would feel really, really cheap to me.

If anything, I think this is going to be Kouta's big turning moment, and he's finally going to put down Micchy down himself, which will lead to some final bits of character growth before the show ends.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Darksaber posted:

I watched it fairly recently and I would definitely say you need to go watch Black now unless you can't stand the older shows. There's some filler in the middle you can skip through, but the show really really nails the last 15 or so episodes and the landing.

And then falls down and breaks every bone in its body with RX.

I know I watched a few episode of Black a while back and I think I liked what I saw?

The oldest toku I've really watched is Dairanger, so I don't really know if I like old stuff or not. I'm going to check if I still have Black and try to binge it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

I know I watched a few episode of Black a while back and I think I liked what I saw?

The oldest toku I've really watched is Dairanger, so I don't really know if I like old stuff or not. I'm going to check if I still have Black and try to binge it.

If you want to skip most of the fillery episodes, I can make a guide for you.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Burkion posted:

If you want to skip most of the fillery episodes, I can make a guide for you.

That sounds awesome. I'd really appreciate that.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Kaito noooooo! :ohdear:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
OK, one quick thing to know about Kamen Rider Black- after the first two episodes, the head writer said screw this and left. This is not a joke about how aimless the first ten or so episodes are-this is the reason.

The head writer, for some reason, felt like he was under too much pressure with this all and literally left. Meaning the show had no writer and no direction and it really kinda shows. Also just because something is filler doesn't mean it's BAD. It just has nothing to do with the plot. Black is a fantastic MOTW show, but that is hard to marathon.

I am including some questionably filler things, most notably the Bike focus episodes because the bikes have cahracter-but those are important for the end game. You'll understand.

Now onto the guide!

3 is optional but it shows Black in his first big real super hero moment.
5 is total filler but it has some fun atmosphere
7 Battle Hopper
12 ROADSECTOR
21 BATTLE HOPPER
25 ROADSECTOR
28 This requires a bit of explanation- this is technically filler, but it, at the end, changes the dynamic between Black and a certain villain, and pushes things towards the finale in a subtle way
44 is utter filler and not a great episode, but it more or less leads straight into the next one thematically. You can skip though

There ya go. Kamen Rider Black, distilled to 24 episodes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Thanks a lot. I think I'll try the first 10 or so straight and if I get bored, I'll start following your guide.

I've heard a lot of great things about it, so I'd like to give it a fair shake.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

You sir are a gem, I also took your recommendation for Metalder and it's been a hell of a fun ride so far. I like it a lot.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

scaterry posted:

Gaim 36 subs are out: http://aesirsubs.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/kamen-rider-gaim-36/

I am slightly disappointed with the Micchy/Melonbowl arc so far and hows its been handled so far. Part of me acknowledges that this is very much a sidearc to the more important ongoings of the world and the invasion but part of me wants this sidearc to have a cathartic end. Micchy and his dealings have been a very uninteresting and annoying part of the invasion and to see him and his issues with his brother end this way doesn't feel right. I want there to be catharsis. I want Micchy to see what he's done and correct himself. I want him to be a true Kamen rider. This though? the fight on the pier? this isn't what i wanted.

That said though, Kaito getting infected? Kouta becoming even more of an inhuman the more he uses Kiwami? Micchy potentially debasing himself and facing his demons? holy poo poo

There's no coming back from any of this. The only thing I need for this to be cathartic is for Mai to turn her back on Micchy so that he sees what he's done won't create a world anyone he cares about would want to live in. Then Redue will stab him in the back because he'll no longer be entertaining.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scratchman Apoo posted:

You sir are a gem, I also took your recommendation for Metalder and it's been a hell of a fun ride so far. I like it a lot.

I really, truly do aim to recommend very good shows.

If you can get into them, you'll love 'em. And I love to help.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

:worship: Would it be too much to ask for something similar for Black RX? Or is that one you can watch all the way through?

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Started watching Black based on that condensed list and while the show in general is pretty good and fun to watch, the best part by far is the opening. It's absolutely fantastic. The music in general is really good, but I especially love the opening/main theme.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

:worship: Would it be too much to ask for something similar for Black RX? Or is that one you can watch all the way through?

He actually posted it in the main toku thread.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
CROSS POST!

"
Honestly? I can't promise it will be as good, because frankly I watched RX over the course of a few years, slowly working my way through, so I don't know it nearly as well, but I will try.

25?
26?

As far as I can tell, those 21 are the plot important episodes. May only be 19 though, 25 and 26 are only included because they're a two parter, but they don't actually advance the plot at ALL.

Honestly the four parter of 14, 15, 16, and 17 are also SUPER insular and don't affect the greater plot either, except for introducing his new forms.

Quick note on those- that four parter nearly gave me faith in RX because it was actually exciting and challenging for the hero and the stakes were super personal and they turned a close family member of his EVIL and he was trying to save them and then I realized, holy poo poo, this is just the plot of Black condensed into a four parter- and then the last episode poo poo the bed and rolled around in it and nothing of note was learned.

Honestly and truthfully, most of these do not affect the plot in any serious way. RX is way more episodic than Black was, where even the episodes that seem to move the plot along really do not and never get brought up again.

It's far more a MOTW story....only if you notice, lots of people praise Black for its MOTW stuff. Not so much RX. "

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, what you're saying is that RX isn't nearly as good?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mmmmmmmmm CROSSPOSTX2!

"First- RX's theme song is loving fantastic. It's a brilliant theme, no question.

Second- Keep in mind, when I say RX is bad, I mean...

OK there's no two ways around it. It's a bad sequel. It barely has anything to do with Black, and the few times it does have something to do with it, it shits all over everything Black stood for and meant.

It also treats the original Riders like poo poo, as they do absolutely nothing but take up time and space.

But-if you like metal hero shows, and you like less serious more light hearted MOTW fair that has interesting looking monsters, you could do worse. It's got good action for the most part, great music, OK monsters.

It never reaches the highs of Black in my opinion, but it never truly tries.

So if you're OK with that, go for it. Never let me be a reason you don't try something that interests you. "

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I hope the new episode has a scene where Kouta's sister is like, "They'll be here to rescue us soon. Definitely. I have faith in them!". Then she goes to the window and sees all the main characters playing soccer while Zawame city burns down around them.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Raws for the new episode are online. I missed DJ Sagara's hyping scenes. HELLOOOOOO ZAWAME CITY! :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Adams posted:

I hope the new episode has a scene where Kouta's sister is like, "They'll be here to rescue us soon. Definitely. I have faith in them!". Then she goes to the window and sees all the main characters playing soccer while Zawame city burns down around them.

It'll probably be like the Kikaider one and be a flashback to before poo poo hit the fan.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs are out.

That episode was incredible, especially for what it is. Kaito playing soccer, the random-rear end actual soccer players, and Riders being used as aces on a soccer team...

But most importantly (to me at least), Takatora's in the preview.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
^^^ Forget that, unless it was for the movie, I saw Sid.

I'm glad I have a high tolerance for nonsense because Kaito getting punched into a soccer themed alternate dimension is the last thing I expected.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 14, 2014

linall
Feb 1, 2007
That episode was super confusing. I really hope that's the last tie in. At least we got a rider kick out of Kaito though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
What the hilarious gently caress was that.

The scenes of Kouta just spinning his wheels the whole time this was going on made it even crazier.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
And, of course, Kaito doesn't even get a free powerup from all of that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pyroi posted:

And, of course, Kaito doesn't even get a free powerup from all of that.

That would mean the random Hyperbolic Soccer Chamber would have relevance to the actual story, and we can't have that now can we?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Can Of Worms posted:

Raws for the new episode are online. I missed DJ Sagara's hyping scenes. HELLOOOOOO ZAWAME CITY! :allears:

Oh man, you are so right. Good times having that back for an episode.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That would mean the random Hyperbolic Soccer Chamber would have relevance to the actual story, and we can't have that now can we?

I knew this but when Sagara turned up to Kaito I was hoping so bad.

Boy did I laugh at this episode.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Eh, Kaito's going to get his powerup from the glowy green cut on his arm. Green glowy things usually give superpowers, right?

Admittedly, I do think that Kouta vs. Kaito is going to be the final battle of the series, which will require Kaito to get a powerup from somewhere in order to be anything other than a hilariously one-sided curbstomp.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I just checked, and no one seems to have mentioned that Kouta controlled the plants briefly. I can't be the only one to have noticed that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

I just checked, and no one seems to have mentioned that Kouta controlled the plants briefly. I can't be the only one to have noticed that.

Well, Redue noticed too. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, Kouta's going all Colette/Eiji on us, and Kaito's got Super Plot Version of that Helheim plant disease from the first half? I was wondering if that' ever get brought up again.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fooley posted:

I'm thinking that the stuff after the episode number/title, where they're talking about the sponsors, is all from the movie, especially since it looks like he and Takatora are in the Yggdrasil building and nothing's covered in plants.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Fooley posted:

I'm glad I have a high tolerance for nonsense because Kaito getting punched into a soccer themed alternate dimension is the last thing I expected.

That was for the movie, but the appearance being referenced is in the previews for the ep 38, right when they show the title of the episode.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Subs for episode 38: http://aesirsubs.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/kamen-rider-gaim-38/

So whoever said earlier in the thread that Gaim does the whole "what is desire?" a million times better than OOOs couldn't have been more correct. I especially like how it's been on the back burner for a few episodes. It's obviously been an issue for Kouta, but we haven't been being slapped in the face by it like we were for the last third(?) of OOOs.

e: Also Ryoma's back!!!! I forgot how good we had it early on with DJ Sagara and him in the same episode sometimes.

linall fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 21, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

linall posted:

So whoever said earlier in the thread that Gaim does the whole "what is desire?" a million times better than OOOs couldn't have been more correct. I especially like how it's been on the back burner for a few episodes. It's obviously been an issue for Kouta, but we haven't been being slapped in the face by it like we were for the last third(?) of OOOs.

Eh, I disagree. That particular point was critical for OOO and developed through the entire series, affecting basically every character in the show. Here it affects Kouta only and, as much as I love Gaim, in a pretty half-assed way. Everyone else has already developed goals and motivations and Kouta's just...there.

I mean, it might just be that Kouta is an honestly boring character in a cast of really cool ones, so I find it really hard to care about him when I can instead see someone that actually knows what he wants to do like Kaito, or someone who's gone batshit insane to the point of casting all doubts aside and becoming insanely powerful like Micchy.

Talking about Micchy, man, did Toei troll us hard with Takatora. Masterful job, you assholes. That said, I couldn't help but laugh hard at Micchy's sheer insanity. I know I should be feeling pity or something but it's just really hilarious how he lashes out against nothing after acting super-smug. He's pathetic and it's wonderful. Became a lot less funny when it gave him enough power to beat the crap out of Kaito and Kouta though.

And on that fight, I really liked how Kouta used basically everything Kaito-related he had. First the Pine Iron, from the Lockseed Kaito gave him, then Kaito's two normal Lockseed weapons, Banaspear and Mango Punisher. Two Kaitos were not enough for one Micchy, but it was thematically neat.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Eh, I disagree. That particular point was critical for OOO and developed through the entire series, affecting basically every character in the show. Here it affects Kouta only and, as much as I love Gaim, in a pretty half-assed way. Everyone else has already developed goals and motivations and Kouta's just...there.

I mean, it might just be that Kouta is an honestly boring character in a cast of really cool ones, so I find it really hard to care about him when I can instead see someone that actually knows what he wants to do like Kaito, or someone who's gone batshit insane to the point of casting all doubts aside and becoming insanely powerful like Micchy.

Talking about Micchy, man, did Toei troll us hard with Takatora. Masterful job, you assholes. That said, I couldn't help but laugh hard at Micchy's sheer insanity. I know I should be feeling pity or something but it's just really hilarious how he lashes out against nothing after acting super-smug. He's pathetic and it's wonderful. Became a lot less funny when it gave him enough power to beat the crap out of Kaito and Kouta though.

And on that fight, I really liked how Kouta used basically everything Kaito-related he had. First the Pine Iron, from the Lockseed Kaito gave him, then Kaito's two normal Lockseed weapons, Banaspear and Mango Punisher. Two Kaitos were not enough for one Micchy, but it was thematically neat.

The three Lemon fight earlier in the episode was also fun

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm getting some tripped death flag vibes from Kaito all over the place. Takatora was my favorite character, and he's my second favorite, so this doesn't look too good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Guess I'd better watch this episode so I can join in on this CIA document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm getting some tripped death flag vibes from Kaito all over the place. Takatora was my favorite character, and he's my second favorite, so this doesn't look too good.

I am not pleased by the decision to actually kill Takatora.

The extra insane Micchy is pretty fun though (in a villainous "this guy needs to get taken down a peg" way, of course.)

• Locked thread