Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FAUXTON posted:

When he said this:

it was proof positive that he was an incredible badass and rather than being a general with incredibly depressing prescience to the cruelty of modern warfare who believed war conducted with restraint allowed it to be romanticized and later repeated, he just thought war was a good ol' time and wanted to show those Southern hicks what-for by tying their railroads in knots and putting their factories and farms to the torch.

You realize he wrote that after his march right? It's almost like it was part of the things that hosed him up or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Randalor posted:

As a Canadian, let me be the first to say "Go gently caress yourself". Ignoring the fact that the underground railroad ended in Canada over 30,000 Canadians fought for the Union in the Civil War. Just because we had a couple hundred ignorant shitheads doesn't mean Canada supported slavery. Our hands aren't clean of having used slaves at one point in our history, but we were moving to abolish it before the 1800's, and it was fully abolished in 1833.
I like how your "go gently caress yourself " link also includes the list of backing the Confederacy you are denying.

quote:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Canada hasn't been okay on slavery for a good 30 years before USA finally started to realize that owning people isn't a good and righteous thing.

No, Great Britain wasn't ok with slavery. Canada's backing the Confederacy against the Empire's desire to remain neutral was what caused enough political headaches for them to make colonial union a priority. Again, this is from your own link. gently caress along now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You realize he wrote that after his march right? It's almost like it was part of the things that hosed him up or something.

And you realize he expressed a near identical sentiment in his letters during the march, right? In particular his letter to Atlanta stands out.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Have the GOP come up with any workable ideas for the unaccompanied children crossing the border or do we have another "GOP health care reform proposal" situation on our hands?

If my father is any indication (and he usually is) I 'm guessing the latter combined with a helping of "not whatever Obama has proposed."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fried Chicken posted:

I like how your "go gently caress yourself " link also includes the list of backing the Confederacy you are denying.

No, Great Britain wasn't ok with slavery. Canada's backing the Confederacy against the Empire's desire to remain neutral was what caused enough political headaches for them to make colonial union a priority. Again, this is from your own link. gently caress along now.

He wasn't 'denying' poo poo he was saying it's a loving disgrace to the thousands who did fight for the union to be all 'hehehehe Canada was down with slavery and the confederacy' when actually the issue was really complex for them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Getting pissed because bad things happen in war is like getting mad because points are scored in sports. Yeah, of course Dresden/Hiroshima/Atlanta were bad things. That was the loving point. Unless you're going for actual extermination you win a war by making the other side say "gently caress that we've had enough, we give up". Which requires horrible poo poo to be done.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fried Chicken posted:

And you realize he expressed a near identical sentiment in his letters during the march, right? In particular his letter to Atlanta stands out.

Yes, that's what I'm saying rings hollow. His letter to Atlanta was literally 'gentlemen, war is Hell, but nah I'm gonna burn you to the ground, but trust me I'm very sorry and sad about that'.

quote:

You might as well appeal against the thunder-storm as against these terrible hardships of war. They are inevitable, and the only way the people of Atlanta can hope once more to live in peace and quiet at home, is to stop the war, which can only be done by admitting that it began in error and is perpetuated in pride.

Also since you refuse to give context, this letter is in response to a letter saying 'hey man we can't really evacuate a huge city well, we have poor and pregnant and ill and you're probably going to literally kill them if they stay but we can't move them easily because they'll probably die on the way out'

He presented the horrors of war as some grand inevitable force of nature when he was actually the one in charge of how horrific this one event would be. The 'people of Atlanta' couldn't end the war, even if they surrendered, and unless your stance is Sherman is probably one our dumbest generals ever he knew that.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shifty Pony posted:

Have the GOP come up with any workable ideas for the unaccompanied children crossing the border or do we have another "GOP health care reform proposal" situation on our hands?

If my father is any indication (and he usually is) I 'm guessing the latter combined with a helping of "not whatever Obama has proposed."

Basically, Obama should increase protection of the border, but should do it without spending extra money on DHS/ICE than he already has.

Oh, and he should go to the border to go back to his native country do something or other.

At least that's my understanding. So to answer your question, yes, this is basically the same as the GOP health care reform proposal (do what we're doing now, but without spending any money on it and without letting Obama take credit for it)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Watching Southerners and Confederate sympathizers bitch and whine about Sherman, as if their loving evil and immoral slave empire didn't deserve everything that they got and more, will never get old. :allears:

Sherman was a good man and did nothing wrong. Could have used 10 more Shermans in the Civil War.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Mister Adequate posted:

Getting pissed because bad things happen in war is like getting mad because points are scored in sports. Yeah, of course Dresden/Hiroshima/Atlanta were bad things. That was the loving point. Unless you're going for actual extermination you win a war by making the other side say "gently caress that we've had enough, we give up". Which requires horrible poo poo to be done.

Isn't the end result of this logic that in any military conflict we should go straight to bombing roads and hospitals instead of military targets? Why prioritize military targets at all overseas, we don't even have to worry about their military coming over here. Eventually it will happen anyway so we might as well cut to the chase and end the conflict earlier, right?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FAUXTON posted:

When he said this:

it was proof positive that he was an incredible badass and rather than being a general with incredibly depressing prescience to the cruelty of modern warfare who believed war conducted with restraint allowed it to be romanticized and later repeated, he just thought war was a good ol' time and wanted to show those Southern hicks what-for by tying their railroads in knots and putting their factories and farms to the torch.

e: It's truly sad that his example is used in the manner he specifically wanted to expunge from human consciousness. You'd think that a man who saw first-hand the ravages of Southern slaveowners would be an expert on the capacity of man to inflict pain and suffering on his brother, and maybe at the time he was, but since then people have certainly expanded that capacity. There's a certain logic to his view - the best war is the shortest one, the shortest war is the most brutal one, ergo the best war is the art at its most horrifying. And he tried - you can almost hear him saying "You want this war? Well, you'll get all this war has to offer, delivered to your doorstep." - but the power of the chickenhawk (those who have never heard a shot, never heard the shriek and groans of the wounded and lacerated) is stronger than he ever imagined.

Like Tatum said: The words of a guy who think's a loving badass over here.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

wixard posted:

Isn't the end result of this logic that in any military conflict we should go straight to bombing roads and hospitals instead of military targets? Why prioritize military targets at all overseas, we don't even have to worry about their military coming over here. Eventually it will happen anyway so we might as well cut to the chase and end the conflict earlier, right?
You prioritize military targets so that they don't do the same to you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fried Chicken posted:

In particular his letter to Boyd immediately before the war proper (written when SC seceded) stands out as prototypical thinking regarding the naivete of Southern support for a war. I'm not sure I need to quote it, since it's the one everyone usually quotes as an "I told you so" stab.

e:

How are u posted:

Watching Southerners and Confederate sympathizers bitch and whine about Sherman, as if their loving evil and immoral slave empire didn't deserve everything that they got and more, will never get old. :allears:

Sherman was a good man and did nothing wrong. Could have used 10 more Shermans in the Civil War.

Sherman himself probably wanted 10 more Shermans in the sense that he believed it would have ended the war earlier. And it may have - the Peninsula campaign may have been much different if McClellan was Sherman but this is getting to be a milhist derail and there's a thread for that.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 13, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

wixard posted:

That really depends on what your goals are. If you want to occupy the territory, for example, you don't want to destroy infrastructure unless everything else fails.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Not the thread for this?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chantilly Say posted:

Not the thread for this?

Definitely not the thread for this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

I... didn't deny that a small amount Canadian citizens fought on the side of the Confederacy? That's why I said "Just because we had a couple hundred ignorant shitheads doesn't mean Canada supported slavery" right after? I mean, that's like saying that the United States wants to enslave all the non-whites. After all, I'm sure you could find a couple hundred people in the South who feel that way, and the wants of a couple hundred people means that the nation wants it.

quote:

Sure, that's what caused the tension, and not the capturing of two Confederate diplomats heading to Great Britain and France seeking diplomatic recognition and financial support for the Confederacy.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He wasn't 'denying' poo poo he was saying it's a loving disgrace to the thousands who did fight for the union to be all 'hehehehe Canada was down with slavery and the confederacy' when actually the issue was really complex for them.
It is really complex for the fact that they did back the Confederacy. Trying to downplay that, particularly that many of those thousands fighting for the Union switched sides in response to Sherman, so painting it as "Canada was always on the right side of slavery, 30 years before the US :smuggo:" is denial of what happened and the geopolitics of the time.

wixard posted:

Assuming you aren't using ICBMs you prioritize military targets so that you can get into position to strike their infrastructure. If you are using ICBMs you prioritize military targets to deny their strike capacity against your infrastructure. But yes, in the big view that is the end result of it, which is why this was the doctrine of the Cold War and their strike priority tiers - take out their attack capacity, then step through their civil infrastructure moving down the list in terms of relevance to military operations. For example, the town I went to college in had bomb shelters in most of the buildings because back in the 60s there was a ball bearing plant located there, making it on the 3rd tier of strike targets.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

William Tecumseh Sherman was not only a loving badass he did literally everything correct in the civil war.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nonsense posted:

William Tecumseh Sherman was not only a loving badass he did literally everything correct in the civil war.

Conversely he was Literally Hitler and committed five war crimes every morning before breakfast, which itself was a war crime because it consisted of a feast on the suffering and sorrow of the mothers whose children he put to the firing squad.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Basically, Obama should increase protection of the border, but should do it without spending extra money on DHS/ICE than he already has.

Oh, and he should go to the border to go back to his native country do something or other.

At least that's my understanding. So to answer your question, yes, this is basically the same as the GOP health care reform proposal (do what we're doing now, but without spending any money on it and without letting Obama take credit for it)

Giant wall made of old tires obviously. If those thug larva make it over they deserve to be US citizens.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Randalor posted:

I... didn't deny that a small amount Canadian citizens fought on the side of the Confederacy? That's why I said "Just because we had a couple hundred ignorant shitheads doesn't mean Canada supported slavery" right after? I mean, that's like saying that the United States wants to enslave all the non-whites. After all, I'm sure you could find a couple hundred people in the South who feel that way, and the wants of a couple hundred people means that the nation wants it.
It was a lot more than a "couple hundred" who fought for the South and Canada as a safe haven for slaves was the result of a Great Britain policy, not a Canadian one. What documentation we have of public discourse on slavery in Canada (mainly from French Quebec, as the papers in English provinces didn't challenge a declaration from London for obvious reasons) was supportive of slavery and hostile towards abolitionists http://www.questia.com/read/1P3-71395493/civil-war-culture-war-french-quebec-and-the-american

Yeah, you are right, it was just that one incident and totally not the 25 years of low level border war of raids on both sides of the border as back and forth retaliation for backing the Confederacy and then the usual "blood demands blood" self perpetuating bullshit.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 13, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Conversely he was Literally Hitler and committed five war crimes every morning before breakfast, which itself was a war crime because it consisted of a feast on the suffering and sorrow of the mothers whose children he put to the firing squad.

Nope and apparently didn't destroy enough of the South.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Edit: thought this was a history thread, takin-a-poo poo postin, this is a dumb USPol derail my b.

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 13, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

sugar free jazz posted:

Fwiw I do believe that wanting complete extermination of the Japanese as a civilization was a common position during WW2, especially in the European theatre American forces. Don't remember Truman being pro-extermination but a bunch of military commanders and a huge percentage of soldiers in the Pacific sure as poo poo were.

Supposedly, Bull Halsey said, "After this war, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell," upon returning with the carrier fleet to Pearl Harbor shortly after the attack. So yeah, massive and at times homicidal racism was par for the course in the Pacific War with both American and Japanese forces (Chinese, Anglo-Dutch, and Soviet forces I can't speak for, but would suspect it would be similar except perhaps for the Red Army which got in late, and had its hate-sights set squarely on the Germans, understandably).

For example, since I've posted this image before,

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

How are u posted:

Seriously it's loving hilarious how just saying his name gets white southerners all riled up over the suffering of people supporting LITERAL chattel slavery 150 years ago.

William Tecumseh Sherman

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Probably a bit of a stretch, but does anyone have a graph comparing government subsidiaries vs government capital expenditures over time? I saw one for India earlier this week and I was hoping their was a US one. Preferably one that counts tax expenditures as well as direct outlays.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Now that we have two threads dedicated to hashing out which section of the country has the real racists, we can finally solve this age old argument :allears:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
It's three now actually.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mister Adequate posted:

Never thought I'd see a Dresden apologist in D&D. Well, maybe Amergin, but not someone doing it genuinely.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Never thought I'd see a Dresden apologist in D&D. Well, maybe Amergin, but not someone doing it genuinely.

*in a von Moltke voice* Well you see, a war that is terrible will also by necessity be short, ergo

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
My favorite part of Sherman burning Atlanta was when he captured it on September 1, wrote the infamous letter telling everyone to GTFO, and immediately burned it to the ground... November 14th but made it a point to spare the hospitals and churches.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Supposedly, Bull Halsey said, "After this war, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell," upon returning with the carrier fleet to Pearl Harbor shortly after the attack. So yeah, massive and at times homicidal racism was par for the course in the Pacific War with both American and Japanese forces (Chinese, Anglo-Dutch, and Soviet forces I can't speak for, but would suspect it would be similar except perhaps for the Red Army which got in late, and had its hate-sights set squarely on the Germans, understandably).

For example, since I've posted this image before,

Dehumanizing your enemy (so it's easier emotionally to ignore the human cost of war actions) has been the goal of practically every wartime leader since forever. It's no less reprehensible but it isn't like you can hang that squarely on America as though it was invented there.

America sure has internalized and developed it to the extreme, though. That's definitely something worth charging. Not only does the military objectify "the enemy" but people here engage in the same actions within political discourse.

You're not a person, you're some quantum title of whatever political leanings your critic thinks apply. It's a lot easier to convince someone listening to their radio to put a bullet in the head of "liberals" rather than the shop owner down the street or the nuns in the church next door. It's the new racism but the old racism isn't even dying out.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The "We won't give you money to do anything because you aren't presently doing anything!" refrain is a pretty great setup they have. My father was ranting about spending $50k per person as though we were just handing them a check.

Also amusing is that in every protest group I've seen has been someone with an infowars sign. Surely the GOP must realize that courting that crowd makes for public relations disaster after the birther thing but it doesn't seem like they got the message. So it should come as no surprise that more conspiracy theory bullshit is seeping in as the GOP tries to find a more defensible position than deporting 4 year olds.

Check out this in World Net Daily land (probably also at full :tinfoil: on Alex Jones and his ilk but I have lines I'm not willing to cross and sifting through infowars is one of them):

quote:

http://www.wnd.com/2014/07/expert-mideasterners-pay-50000-to-sneak-into-u-s/#QLYD2eHPS2MfzbtA.99

A filmmaker with extensive knowledge of the current border crisis says this chaos is exactly what President Obama wants and planned for, and he says the current media fixation on abandoned children means criminals, drug smugglers and terrorists are coming to the United States without even being noticed.

Dennis Michael Lynch directed and produced “They Come to America” and “They Come to America II” and has extensive, daily contact with U.S. Border Patrol agents about the true state of the U.S.-Mexico border. He said there are essentially four groups of people pouring across the border: families of various sizes, unaccompanied minors, drug smugglers and career criminals and terrorists. Lynch said while the media focus on the kids, really bad people are easily slipping into the country.

“I can tell you from the people I speak to in the Border Patrol who are in the intelligence unit, they have told me that gang members are receiving as much as $50,000 per head to bring a person through. Those people are typically from the Middle East or from China,” said Lynch, who predicts the people waltzing into the country will perpetrate an attack on the U.S. that will rival or exceed Sept. 11.

“You will absolutely see terror attacks. They may not come in the form of airplanes crashing into buildings, but they’re going to come in different ways: water treatment plants, electrical grids. You name it, it is there for the possibility of taking,” he said.

And just so you don't think that this is confined to the online conspiracy rags, let's hear from Gov Good Hair:

quote:

“This president, I will suggest, is totally and absolutely either inept or making some decisions that are not in the best interests of American citizens,” Perry said during that interview with Fox News.

Perry also suggested that non-Mexicans crossing the U.S.-Mexican border are coming from Middle Eastern countries such as Syria.

“We also have record high numbers of other than Mexicans being apprehended at the border,” Perry said. “These are people that are coming from states like Syria that have substantial connections back to terrorist regimes.”

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shifty Pony posted:

And just so you don't think that this is confined to the online conspiracy rags, let's hear from Gov Good Hair:

I wish that nakedly preying on the fear of the uninformed and/or racist wasn't so easy and effective as a political tactic.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Sherman's Christmas present to President Lincoln was destroying Savannah.

On the subject of border patrol, my favorite Michigan Libertarian, Scott Boman, published his thoughts on what to do with the immigrant children. Let American parents adopt them because then American women don't have to go through labor pains, or they can move into Detroit and go to work on the urban farms in the city. Oh, and it doesn't matter if the kids are white or brown, all welfare comes from theft, not charity.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

This might actually be a big deal if it were true. I've seen nothing that supports this bullshit. Is there any evidence of actual mid-east immigrants coming across the U.S. Mexico border?

edit: a quick google search and review of the link in the link cited indicates the answer to my question is "gently caress NO"! Perry is such a useless dick.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 13, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is it OK if ShermanChat goes here?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648518&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Sherman's Christmas present to President Lincoln was destroying Savannah.

Which is funny because he had zero intentions of actually destroying Savannah. His troops got wasted and torched the city to celebrate surviving the march to the sea and Sherman's reaction to it was "eh gently caress it, they kinda earned it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

radical meme posted:

This might actually be a big deal if it were true.

What a perfect summation of right wing media.

Anyway these rumors of "terrorists" crossing the border are why that militia group found a "muslin prayer rug" (Adidas jersey) in Southwest Texas.

edit: Also a refrain from the right wing is for Obama to send in the national guard. Of course they don't want to pay for it and it would do gently caress-all because these kids are actively seeking out BP agents to surrender to because that's what they have been told to do by the coyotes.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 14, 2014

• Locked thread