Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Who was the Executioner in the very first Wrestlemania match? Anyone of note?

"Playboy" Buddy Rose but I'd have to hit wikipedia to actually know what he did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also there was that time Hogan put Harley Race through a table and he died.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Can someone direct me to Kevin Steen's best matches? I haven't really watched ROH ever, but I definitely want to see him take on Nakamura and I heard that his feud with Generico was amazing and led to some great matches.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can someone direct me to Kevin Steen's best matches? I haven't really watched ROH ever, but I definitely want to see him take on Nakamura and I heard that his feud with Generico was amazing and led to some great matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PaLA90iTyc

his match against Elgin about 162 minutes into this vid is also great http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDYzMDI5OTk2.html

if you don't mind spending a little money both of his DVDs that ROH put out are very very good

oatgan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 13, 2014

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

NickRoweFillea posted:

The Ladder War between Steenerico and The Briscoes from Man Up was insane.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Jonathan Coachman was inoffensive as an announcer prior to becoming "The Coach". I despise announcers who spend more time getting their dumb characters over than moving a storyline forward.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If Dusty had ever had a really regular gig as an announcer he might have been up there, but he was really fun to listen to in small doses.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

St Evan Echoes posted:

If Dusty had ever had a really regular gig as an announcer he might have been up there, but he was really fun to listen to in small doses.

Wasn't he on WCW Saturday night for a long time?

Taking it to da pay windah on da modaship

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FishBulb posted:

Wasn't he on WCW Saturday night for a long time?

Taking it to da pay windah on da modaship

He also did PPV's for a few years.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I've been revisiting a lot of WCW on the Network, and this question just came to mind:

What was the last great match to come out of WCW? Because the last one I can recall is the Bret/Benoit match on Nitro shortly before Russo came along.

Makes '99-00 WCW all the worse, since WWE PPVs even in lovely years like '95 or '03 are usually dependable for at least one real good match.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I've been revisiting a lot of WCW on the Network, and this question just came to mind:

What was the last great match to come out of WCW? Because the last one I can recall is the Bret/Benoit match on Nitro shortly before Russo came along.

Makes '99-00 WCW all the worse, since WWE PPVs even in lovely years like '95 or '03 are usually dependable for at least one real good match.

When was the Judy Bagwell on a Pole match?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Fauxhawk Express posted:

It's hard to pick out what I would call a great match, but there were good matches involving the Jung Dragons/3 Count going into '01, I believe.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bard Maddox posted:

When was the Judy Bagwell on a Pole match?

New Blood Rising 2000. It's the absolute loving pits from opening title to copyright card at the end. Eleven matches on the card, seven and a quarter stars between them for an average of 0.66 stars per match. I mean, take them with a grain of salt because Meltzer star ratings aren't the be-all end-all, but when an event has consistently scored so low, it's probably complete poo poo.

edit:

Wikipedia posted:

The name is a reference to the New Blood faction within WCW (which dissolved before the pay-per-view)

So the PPV was named after a faction that they broke up before they could run the PPV. Glorious.

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 14, 2014

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd say it was Scott Steiner vs. DDP, the main event of their final PPV, Greed

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Steiner/Goldberg from Fall Brawl 2000

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Was Henry Godwin ever over at all? A bunch of these matches from 1995-6 keep coming up on the network and he just seems awful.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Was Henry Godwin ever over at all? A bunch of these matches from 1995-6 keep coming up on the network and he just seems awful.

The Godwinns were over as a low card comedy tag team for a few months in 1996, but aside from that Henry was never over, despite a prolonged push.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Network had a house show tag match between the New Blackjacks and the Godwinns and it was a pretty good big man power match.

Just 4 big dudes pounding away on each other. Mmm yeah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The Godwinns were over as a low card comedy tag team for a few months in 1996, but aside from that Henry was never over, despite a prolonged push.
Having Sunny as a manager probably gave them some instant positive reactions.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
The real answer is Vince LOVES him some hillbillies

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I should've added that their involvement with Sunny was the only reason they got a reaction.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The Network run of Raw Flashback is at a pretty depressing point in WWF history. It's Wrestlemania season and they're building to a main event of Midcard Heel vs Football Celebrity. And another Midcard Heel is chasing the WWF title against Face Kevin Nash. I always knew Wrestlemania XI was bad, but I never appreciated how dreadful the BUILD to it must have felt until I saw it playing out on the Network.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And then that match managed to easily be the best match involving a celebrity up until Big Show/Mayweather. Still a big waste of Bam Bam though.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
They wasted Bam Bam in many more ways than than giving him a Wrestlemania main event, as dumb as it may have been. He should have been the top heel champ instead of Diesel around 95-96. WCW also wasted him, but considerably less since he came in when Goldberg was champion so there wasn't a lot of upward mobility.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Did she only manage them for like a week?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

And then that match managed to easily be the best match involving a celebrity up until Big Show/Mayweather. Still a big waste of Bam Bam though.

I assume you're not counting Austin/HBK with special enforcer Mike Tyson?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Web Jew.0 posted:

Do you guys (or Dave or Bryan) have a theory as to why Alberto Del Rio never gets good crowd reactions? He's great in the ring, great on the mic, and been pushed to the moon. I love his douchey mannerisms and he always delivers. What gives?
The answers are on his DVD, "It's Technically Fine, But I Don't Care: The Alberto Del Rio Story"

Del Rio was great when he was Mexican JBL that killed Santa. Now, he's literally nothing.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 14, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I Before E posted:

I assume you're not counting Austin/HBK with special enforcer Mike Tyson?

That match was dreadful. Michaels at that point looked like walking was the most painful thing ever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Henry Godwinn seemed pretty over when he was feuding with HHH. People hated Helmsley with a passion. 10 year old me did at least.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
We all know about Watts WCW, but was tossing a guy over the top rope ever kayfabe illegal in WWF? I've noticed several times, mostly in old shows, where someone gets dumped over the top rope and the announcers sell it like it's a heel act. Like, Vince would be bellowing on commentary that a heel should be disqualified for it, or if a face did it he would rationalize it by saying it was inadvertent. Actually I'm guessing this was just Vince being Vince on commentary and not really knowing his own product. I mean, it was never DQ-able in video games, so that's what I go by.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don't think it was illegal, but it was seen as a cowardly act. Faces were expected to win clean in the ring, not trying to win by count out, or dumping their opponent out to get a breather.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Jake Roberts loved tossing guys under the top rope, and Ricky Steamboat loved skinning the cat. The audience wins!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Is there a place I can find the matches that took place on old Raws? I want to watch more of the old Raws on the Netword, but I want to sidestep episodes I probably don't care about. A source that doesn't give away results would be preferable of course but I would take any help I can get.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DeathChicken posted:

That match was dreadful. Michaels at that point looked like walking was the most painful thing ever.

It wasn't just walking. He was living in an existence of pure pain, and should have left months before he did.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Is there a place I can find the matches that took place on old Raws? I want to watch more of the old Raws on the Netword, but I want to sidestep episodes I probably don't care about. A source that doesn't give away results would be preferable of course but I would take any help I can get.

profightdb.com, do a search on "Monday Night Raw" and it will give you every single episode, matchups, times and results. I don't think you'll find them listed anywhere without the results, someone might correct me on that but I think worrying about spoiling people on some 15-plus-year-old TV shows is really a priority for the sites that list them. Not that that's a dig on you at all, I can totally understand wanting to see the shows without knowing the outcomes.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The tape trading websites/forums have non-spoiler match listings for their RAW DVD sets. If you give me a year you need I can copy and paste it here.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Memento posted:

profightdb.com, do a search on "Monday Night Raw" and it will give you every single episode, matchups, times and results. I don't think you'll find them listed anywhere without the results, someone might correct me on that but I think worrying about spoiling people on some 15-plus-year-old TV shows is really a priority for the sites that list them. Not that that's a dig on you at all, I can totally understand wanting to see the shows without knowing the outcomes.

Thank you very much!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

ChampRamp posted:

It's hard to pick out what I would call a great match, but there were good matches involving the Jung Dragons/3 Count going into '01, I believe.

It would have to be those matches, to be honest. The 3 Count gimmick was kinda fun in a goofy kind of way, the matches they had against Jung Dragons were pretty entertaining (even if they had stupid stips like that gold record ladder match) because it was the final holdout of good Cruiserweight WCW.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Scott Steiner/Goldberg from Fall Brawl 2000 is probably the last good non-cruiser WCW match, and also Goldberg's best match.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I Before E posted:

Scott Steiner/Goldberg from Fall Brawl 2000 is probably the last good non-cruiser WCW match, and also Goldberg's best match.

It's also responsible for one of Scott Steiner's best promos of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was looking at old Wrestlemanias and I remember the crowd for WM9 seeming really small. Caesar's Palace only has a capacity of like 4500, doesn't it? What were they thinking with that venue?

On that note, I read some attendance stats for more recent WMs, and for some reason it seems like attendance skyrocketed after Wrestlemania 22's meager 17,000 and stayed up around 75-80,000 from WM23 on. What changed in that year?