Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Branis
Apr 14, 2006
we don't even do barbeque in the upper midwest. All we have is potlucks,lutefisk and hotdish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Haha loving hotdish. One of our newer guys is from Minnesota and we had some food brought in one day and he asked me if I tried the hotdish. Had no idea what the gently caress a hotdish was until that day.

I'm originally from Kansas City and I'd move back just for the BBQ.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Moving away and never seeing another tatertot hotdish again would be awesome.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
In many cases "BBQ" or "barbeque" doesn't actually mean barbeque.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

chartley posted:

Don't tell me, is that filmed just after they arrived on scene to find local stations had it under control and tried to shift responsibility for it even though the entire incident happened on a sodding train?

(I may be a touch raw from your colleagues last week)

The Scottish division generally doesn't have a good reputation internally...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What the gently caress is a hotdish?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Mr. Nice! posted:

a casserole

e: it's really loosely defined as something hot and in a dish. I could never fuckin get anyone to nail down what it was specifically

e2: it's basically mom's lovely cooking with the added bonus of the bland upper midwest palate where wild rice, hamburger, and bread crumbs with gravy is the pinnacle of flavor. bonus points if you manage to cram walleye in there somehow

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 14, 2014

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

I'm guessing you don't have 1000 officer police stations though. The food at Hendon training center is genuinely good. I always get their early to grab some food. The canteens are usually only 0700-about 1630 so only early turn really get to eat or people working office hours.

How often do you grab a munchie box?

We have a canteen at headquarters and the training centre. Both are places I like to try and avoid owing to them being full of senior folk.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The last police facility I was assigned to was known for flooding and mold.

My current building had bedbugs and a sewage leak in the officers lounge. It will be fixed "sometime".

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Any semblance of care about our station went out the window when they announced a new station would be built... a few years ago. They just recently approved the plans for it though and expect it to be built 2015 or 2016... maybe. Agency commanders don't care because they never visit, and station commanders don't care because their only in the building maybe an hour or two a day.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
We built a new jail like 12 years ago, it just got a 2 million dollar renovation. 4 years ago we built a new 9 million dollar HQ which houses almost all of the divisions that were previously at little crappy satellite buildings all across the parish. Right now we're building a new training center that will house the academy, the few remaining divisions in satellite buildings, a commercial kitchen for extended hurricane duty & a gym with free weights, treadmills, whatev that we have access to 24/7.

You get to have nice things when the admin is fiscally responsible :cool:

E: except no new truck for me for another year at least :(

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Buried beneath that piping hot layer of tater tots is probably green beans, corn, hamburger, and cream of mushroom soup. Sometimes you might get tuna in there as well. This can be found in the basement of every lutheran church from wisconsin to wyoming. It really doesn't taste that bad but you are guaranteed to find it at every birthday, funeral, wedding, and family reunion.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Apparently the police rehab centre has the best canteen in the UK. Their sausages are incredible according to several sources.

Hope you're paying your fees for it chartley!

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Branis posted:

we eat brats up here motherfucker

grilling=/=barbecue

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

It's refrigerator pie, held together with tots and cream soup.

brb making some hotdish

SrgMagnum
Nov 12, 2007
Got old money, could buy a dinosaur
I recently got myself introduced to something called a "hamburger steak."

Apparently you can put hamburger patty on a plate, cover it in gravy from a can and call it a delicacy. I was left unimpressed and still pretty hungry. What's the deal with hamburger steak?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Branis posted:

Buried beneath that piping hot layer of tater tots is probably green beans, corn, hamburger, and cream of mushroom soup. Sometimes you might get tuna in there as well. This can be found in the basement of every lutheran church from wisconsin to wyoming. It really doesn't taste that bad but you are guaranteed to find it at every birthday, funeral, wedding, and family reunion.

This sounds and looks absolutely vile btw

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Whip Slagcheek posted:

This sounds and looks absolutely vile btw

Kinda like whip

name names whip

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SrgMagnum posted:

Apparently you can put hamburger patty on a plate, cover it in gravy from a can and call it a delicacy. I was left unimpressed and still pretty hungry. What's the deal with hamburger steak?

A good 'hamburger' or chopped steak usually has onions and sometimes peppers cooked into it. I wouldn't call it a delicacy but if you're in the kind of place where an actual steak would be overpriced and mostly gristle it's not a bad option. It usually comes with mashed potatoes and maybe corn so you're pretty much just mixing them up into a make-your-own shepherd's pie anyway.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

beanieson posted:

You get to have nice things when the admin is fiscally responsible :cool:

When did you start following the news about my department?! :what:

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Its probably more like BP money since they destroyed the only good part of Louisiana.

Hotdish is the white mans punishment for killing all the buffalo.

Branis fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 14, 2014

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Hezzy posted:

Apparently the police rehab centre has the best canteen in the UK. Their sausages are incredible according to several sources.

Hope you're paying your fees for it chartley!

We have our own treatment centre, it's meant to be a phenomenal facility. No grumbles about my monthly deduction for it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Branis posted:

Its probably more like BP money since they destroyed the only good part of Louisiana.

plus the whole region is propped up by fed/state tax $$$, we would have washed away to the gulf if not for :qq: our precious culture :qq:

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.
The best part of living in Florida is grilling and smoking all year round, and you get every different regional type of BBQ :smug:

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I ate BBQ gator in Florida, it was loving delicious but the gator we get in London is nowhere near as fresh. Orlando cops also pulled us over and wet themselves with excitement when he pulled his license out of a warrant card. I also saw people collecting money in one of the bars for Sinn Fein and my dad almost explode.

Thats my florida experience, I hope you enjoy it

Also gently caress the manatees, one of them blew snot on me

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 14, 2014

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

beanieson posted:

plus the whole region is propped up by fed/state tax $$$, we would have washed away to the gulf if not for :qq: our precious culture :qq:

Cajun food is the best food and New Orleans music is fantastic. I would have far more reservations about :bahgawd:my tax dollars:bahgawd: bailing out, say, Long Beach after a similar natural disaster.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31zDc2rDaAI

non US cops shooting a guy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

what a terrible shot. at least the dude put it in landscape halfway through.

SrgMagnum
Nov 12, 2007
So is this the proof we need that warning shots don't work?

Or did they work because he ran away?

Crap I don't know anymore. At least he ran away so they could gleefully shoot him down in the street because gently caress cops right?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

I also saw people collecting money in one of the bars for Sinn Fein

Holy poo poo, I thought that mostly died out in the '80s, and finally completely went away after the Good Friday accords.

I've never in my life seen a bar collecting for NORAID/ Sinn Fein.

merAch
Oct 16, 2004

Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous.

Branis posted:

non US cops shooting a guy.

Your shits broken. Here ya go, coppers.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c0c_1405352699

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

SrgMagnum posted:

So is this the proof we need that warning shots don't work?

Or did they work because he ran away?

Crap I don't know anymore. At least he ran away so they could gleefully shoot him down in the street because gently caress cops right?

It is kind of ridiculous they waited till he had thrown all his weapons at them that they decided to gun him down though. If that happened in the US I could see a tennessee vs garner style court case come out of it.

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

They were shooting him in the legs.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Whats with the lack of cuffing and first aid going on?

I'm not going to cry about him being shot because for all I know he might have just killed someone round the corner and the Police have an honest belief that he will do it again, but if you're gonna shoot someone, why the gently caress would you go for the legs and not shoot centre mass?

How are you going to argue in court that you were justified in shooting him in the legs to stop him but not in the chest to kill him but he ended up bleeding out because the bullet nicked the femoral anyway?

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Well we are talking about what I assume some place in Eastern Europe where it's still considered legal to beat a confession out of someone.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
It's Poland, I've been a few times and the police are pretty hands on but the criminal justice system is meant to be pretty modern and has to conform to all the wankery that the EU stuffs down it's throat. You might expect a kicking for being arrested for drunken fighting but a bit of extra-judicial killing seems a bit strong for them. Watching that video it just looked like the officers didn't know what they were doing.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at0pLjs7sY4

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

The 5 principles of safe handcuffi- o gently caress it, I'll just baton him.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

SrgMagnum posted:

Nowadays, that gets called a Salisbury steak.

Chopped Hamburg steak. It is where the name "hamburger" came from, and how they used to be served before the 1904 World's Fair when some enterprising person put the patty in a toasted roll. Prior to that, they were cooked more like what we today call "patty melts".

http://books.google.com/books?id=GW_VvDkoYowC&pg=PA120#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/HamburgerHistory.htm

Popularity of chopped/ground beef (and sausages) plummeted after Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle. Although burgers did pick up after White Castle went into business.
http://historyofbusiness.blogspot.com/2012/05/white-castle-and-fast-food-hamburger.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SrgMagnum
Nov 12, 2007

Huttan posted:

Interesting meat info.

That's way more interesting to me than it should be. Thanks for the info! Gave me a few minutes of welcome distraction from work.

• Locked thread