Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

the new hero is yet to be defined. it's unlikely to be apple or Facebook.

actually it has it's microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it will ironically be ibm

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

no it'll be huawei

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

would unironically wear the poo poo out of this

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Caged posted:

apple maps on the iphone at least in :britain: is utterly poo poo at parsing addresses. if you feed it a street with a full postcode it doesnt even bother to recognise it as an address.
american companies still trying to grasp why the gently caress you have letters in your addresses

pram
Jun 10, 2001
british addresses are profoundly retarded

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

mine had bj at the end

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

clearly you haven't seen an italian address

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

it took the US two tries to make a replacement for postal codes and the end result is like 98765+4321 a similar level of precision

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
mail be at 632 birdhsire courtitide plum region 41897dasA

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

it took the US two tries to make a replacement for postal codes and the end result is like 98765+4321 a similar level of precision

actually full us postal codes are 5+4+2, 5 for the normal zip code, 4 for the subdivision block, and 2 for the delivery point within the +4 block (though in many cases a +4 will have a single delivery point).

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

actually full us postal codes are 5+4+2, 5 for the normal zip code, 4 for the subdivision block, and 2 for the delivery point within the +4 block (though in many cases a +4 will have a single delivery point).

thx wikipedia

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

brought to u by the letter a

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we only introduced postal codes as an easential part of addresses like 5 years ago

we finally got a 27th street and so the alphabet had run out

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

echinopsis posted:

we only introduced postal codes as an easential part of addresses like 5 years ago

we finally got a 27th street and so the alphabet had run out

grats

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

can't they get you to a block of where you're going? seems perfect for punching into a computer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can't they get you to a block of where you're going? seems perfect for punching into a computer

problem is that England has some roads that were laid out approximately two millennia ago

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

problem is that England has some roads that were laid out approximately two millennia ago

i think new cities and towns should have roads that are mostly based on a grid but with some random mutations thrown in

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

apple maps can't, lmbo

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

new cities and towns

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well, some are only one millennia old

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

as someone who works with foreign addresses let me assure you that british addresses are notoriously not computer friendly

that said they arent nearly as bad as it gets in the developing world where you get things like "opposite gas station" (india, middle east) or simply [thing] with no number street or anything other than the city (saharan africa)

the weird thing is that with the exception of india former british colonies have probably the most sensible address layouts of anywhere although france and french colonies did a good job too (with the exception of using 9xxxx for every french territory not in france and oh yeah a bunch in france too)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i think it's v. cute seeing 100+ year old photos of local store fronts that have a phone number listed, and it's somethign like "142"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LastInLine posted:

as someone who works with foreign addresses let me assure you that british addresses are notoriously not computer friendly

that said they arent nearly as bad as it gets in the developing world where you get things like "opposite gas station" (india, middle east) or simply [thing] with no number street or anything other than the city (saharan africa)

the weird thing is that with the exception of india former british colonies have probably the most sensible address layouts of anywhere although france and french colonies did a good job too (with the exception of using 9xxxx for every french territory not in france and oh yeah a bunch in france too)

yeah in china i had to find an address for a hotel and it was literally "x street, next to the hospital and the grocery market"

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao

quote:

An earlier leak about Google’s countermoves versus Facebook had caused consternation at Google. In November 2007, a Google engineering manager alerted his bosses that employees were emailing about Google “providing counter-offers within an hour to Googlers who give notice about getting a Facebook offer.”

Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt thundered back in an email, “Since I announced our 1 hour policy exactly 24 hours ago we should be embarrassed and disgusted by this leak.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/07/14/google-directors-wanted-page-brin-to-court-facebook-employees/

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
that anti-trust makes me wonder just how much more insane tech salaries would be now if it hadn't happened

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

computer parts posted:

yeah in china i had to find an address for a hotel and it was literally "x street, next to the hospital and the grocery market"

buildings in japan have numbers, just like western address systems. but they're numbered by the order they were built on a particular block.

so you have building #6 next to #42 next to #11. and building #64 might be hidden behind #42 and #11. and the next block will have overlapping numbers, you better hope you can tell the difference between a street and an alley, dividing blocks or not.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

buildings in japan have numbers, just like western address systems. but they're numbered by the order they were built on a particular block.

so you have building #6 next to #42 next to #11. and building #64 might be hidden behind #42 and #11. and the next block will have overlapping numbers, you better hope you can tell the difference between a street and an alley, dividing blocks or not.

http://www.wimp.com/japaneseaddresses/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

to confirm the above two posters; when i go to japan i wish i would get directions like this

my place of work in the us is on a university campus. it technically has a street address, but the building is not accessible from that street, but its there for people that insist on having one for their addresses... (any mail or packages that only have the street address always has the name of the building in sharpie over it too)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also rural US has only gotten street addresses very recently and they're usually not very useful at all. gps coordinates is really the easiest way to navigate

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what you describe sounds a lot like cadastres

addresses didnt really exist in dennmark until 1859. before that, we used either matrikel-numbers (cadastres -- each plot of land has a designation, in order of creation since the system was set up) or old style "across the yard next to the pub"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadastre

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Management posted:

people liked microsoft when they were fighting against the evil IBM empire

people liked google when they were fighting against the evil microsoft empire

people liked _______ when they were fighting against the evil google empire

the new hero is yet to be defined. it's unlikely to be apple or Facebook.
Bing?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the verge with some spin straight from google PR on the new gmail api

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/14/5896979/gmail-api-isnt-the-end-of-email-its-a-new-beginning

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
the problem with email is that it uses open standards

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
finally. email with an api. the year is 1989 and lotus notes has just been invented

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
smtp is trash for real but lol at the idea that anyones gonna get rid of it ever.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

JumpinJackFlash posted:

the problem with email is that it uses open standards

i'm reasonably certain that gmail doesn't internally. they do some weird, nonstandard message header fuckery that ensure that mail sent or received within gmail will completely loving break if exported and hosted elsewhere

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
everyone does that though. email isn't very good without custom fuckery and you can only do that inside your own network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

everyone does that though. email isn't very good without custom fuckery and you can only do that inside your own network

yeah, but even exchange uses semi-standard x.400/x.500 and straight smtp to AD mapping for their internal fuckery. gmail makes it look like an smtp header but with a completely invalid address

• Locked thread