Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

:smith:

Jack the Lad posted:

This got lost a few pages back. Would anyone mind pointing me towards a semi-recent guide, ideally not in ascii?

Specifically I'm thinking like a walkthrough of babby's first fort - bring these things for these reasons, when you embark make sure you make these stockpiles and workshops right away, then work towards farming, military, water, etc.

Just what I should do and what to prioritise, really, to get a handle on things. The number of options is pretty scary/off-putting :shobon:

There's this, although it uses the version before DF2012. It's been so long since 31.25/34.01 came out that I forget exactly what changed between them. You might have to go through http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Tutorials and see which ones work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theodyn
Oct 12, 2012

I like all kinds of alcohol. Except schnapps. Schnapps can go to hell.

Jack the Lad posted:

This got lost a few pages back. Would anyone mind pointing me towards a semi-recent guide, ideally not in ascii?

Specifically I'm thinking like a walkthrough of babby's first fort - bring these things for these reasons, when you embark make sure you make these stockpiles and workshops right away, then work towards farming, military, water, etc.

Just what I should do and what to prioritise, really, to get a handle on things. The number of options is pretty scary/off-putting :shobon:

This is an excellent play-along guide that myself and many others used to get started. It's for an old version, but the basics are the same.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I started out with Bentgirder myself. Doesn't drown you in information, it tells you to do things and then explains why. The tutorial map itself is formatted for v31.18, but you can find that in the old version archive if you so wish.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I genned a world that had an "Age of Slum" and got really confused. Turns out that's just the name of some forest titan.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
I don't understand quests in adventure mode. A lord tells me of nearby bandits. I go to their camp, behead the commander & troops, then claim the site as my own. I return to the lord and tell of my exploits, he just blankly states that it was inevitable. How do I close out the quest? Is it possible that I didn't kill all of the gang, since the camp still shows on the map?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

WhenInRome posted:

There's this. It's not updated to DF2014 yet, but that doesn't really matter because the update didn't add anything significant to fortress mode.

GorfZaplen posted:

There's this, although it uses the version before DF2012. It's been so long since 31.25/34.01 came out that I forget exactly what changed between them. You might have to go through http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Tutorials and see which ones work for you.

Theodyn posted:

This is an excellent play-along guide that myself and many others used to get started. It's for an old version, but the basics are the same.

scamtank posted:

I started out with Bentgirder myself. Doesn't drown you in information, it tells you to do things and then explains why. The tutorial map itself is formatted for v31.18, but you can find that in the old version archive if you so wish.

Thank you all, guys - I'll give those a look. The flowchart to happy dwarves on the wiki looks especially handy.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 13, 2014

delboy
Nov 6, 2011
Despite the crashes (unable to enter the one large dwarf fortress), I'm enjoying adventure mode for the first time ever. I'm travelling around a world where a small goblin army - led by a humanoid megabeast and his mate - with Elf and Dwarf recruits - are circling a large Dwarven settlement, many inhabitants of which have fled and now reside in the various lairs that surround the area (pretty cool even if it's a bug??)

My travelling companion, a nomadic lasher whose only grievance is the fighting between something and something before time began, appears to be very highly strung and will either flee or attack every encounter. Often both.

We've just stormed a Dark Tower, only to find it already overrun by a friendly Troll army. Nevertheless we persevered to the top, only to find a hound-like megabeast who goes by the name of The Master. I was scratched - through the lung - sent flying into the far wall, where my head exploded into gore.

Game owns.

Is bronze armour the highest tier found lying around the world? I haven't yet come across anything besides that and copper. I'm considering creating a fort simply to kit my next adventurer out, but i'd prefer it if there was a less cheaty way.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

:black101:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Jack the Lad posted:

Thank you all, guys - I'll give those a look. The flowchart to happy dwarves on the wiki looks especially handy.

That flowchart is fantastic, I used it and it really helps manage the chaos as you work through each node through an utterly unintuitive UI where every separate thing is done just a little bit differently from the others.

In addition to the guides linked, I found it helpful to play along to a video like 51ppycup or Captnduck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g_SaPQpKbU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVZtRdtPdo

just because reading, for instance, the worldgen screen versus seeing a guy navigate it on video while talking you through it step by step and explaining what's beeing seen where and when and why is very different.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

delboy posted:

Is bronze armour the highest tier found lying around the world? I haven't yet come across anything besides that and copper. I'm considering creating a fort simply to kit my next adventurer out, but i'd prefer it if there was a less cheaty way.

You can find iron fairly regularly, particularly if you reduce mineral scarcity in worldgen.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I made an embark to a great spot and as soon as I arrive, caverns start collapsing. It's been collapsing FOREVER. The proficient miners could only get through two squares of SAND before I am alerted and zoomed to where a cavern I cannot see is collapsing.

Over and over.

Had to retire it because drat.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
holy gently caress how long does it take to 'update the world' when you select adventure mode?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

I haven't played in awhile and this may be normal now, but all the pre-generated cities keep stacking up adjacent to each other. Just seems like a lot of urban sprawl and I don't recall this happening so thought it might be a bug.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Man its good to see that it can still rain purple goo that melts your dwarves.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Verviticus posted:

holy gently caress how long does it take to 'update the world' when you select adventure mode?

Depends on how big your world is. On my Small map it takes 20 seconds, I heard anything on Medium or larger is unbearable.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PhantomZero posted:

I haven't played in awhile and this may be normal now, but all the pre-generated cities keep stacking up adjacent to each other. Just seems like a lot of urban sprawl and I don't recall this happening so thought it might be a bug.

Do you mean the dwarf fortresses? Right now that's just worldgen using the same symbol for big cities as for small hillocks - it's the same system as human hamlets in the last version.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I mean, really. Even just 250-300 years of history in a Small region is roomy enough that you'll never run out of details.

delboy
Nov 6, 2011

my dad posted:

You can find iron fairly regularly, particularly if you reduce mineral scarcity in worldgen.

You know it didn't actually occur to me that mineral scarcity would have that level of impact during the world generation. But of course it does! Clearly I'm forgetting what it is I'm actually playing.

This game man, this game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

As much as I love tunneling through vast expanses of dirt and featureless rock, I'll never understand anyone who sets mineral occurrence to anything less than 'frequent' on worldgen.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Does someone have a nice map with some magnetite on it for Masterwork? Trying to gen a world with iron is driving me insane.

edit: "Simple minerals" removes two out of three iron ores. What the gently caress. No wonder no Masterwork world ever genned iron.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 14, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Are all reclaimed Dwarf Fortress the same? Just miles of tunnels with doors and metalsmiths forges and statues?

vv -Post buddies

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Is it normal for reclaimed sites to be full of forges? This place seems to be full of empty rooms, statues and forges. At least I can melt down some anvils if I don't find iron.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

How do you climb in adventure mode?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
I don't think you guys give Toady One enough credit coding this game. It would be a nightmare to keep up with all of the tiny details. I was just thinking of how I would simply handle speech responses based on a player's stats and encounters, and that alone gives me the creeps. He's done a good job, and I have no idea how he finds solutions to the bugs in his game so quickly.

From what I've seen from interviews, he's a pretty intelligent person, PhD in Math, coding since five-years-old. He may be unorthodox, but he might be the Jimi Hendrix of coding, for all we know. I'm surprised the game isn't a lot slower than it is, even if it is only single threaded.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

'h' key to grab onto something, but you need to have one or both hands free in order to climb. Once you've grabbed on, you use the regular movement keys and it will give you options on whether to ascend or descend as you move.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Peewi posted:

Is it normal for reclaimed sites to be full of forges? This place seems to be full of empty rooms, statues and forges. At least I can melt down some anvils if I don't find iron.

They are using Anvils instead of iron chairs for some reason. How hosed up is this games code and why does whatever sentience it have love Iron Chairs? Always with the Iron Chair bugs.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The game knows what breakfast cereal I hate the most :tinfoil:

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

pixaal posted:

They are using Anvils instead of iron chairs for some reason. How hosed up is this games code and why does whatever sentience it have love Iron Chairs? Always with the Iron Chair bugs.

You mean like the 2010 bug where chickens were laying chairs instead of eggs. At least I think that was the 2010 patch.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Remember that bug where deconstructing walls teleports stuff around? Yeah, that's back.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

NiknudStunod posted:

You mean like the 2010 bug where chickens were laying chairs instead of eggs. At least I think that was the 2010 patch.

It was geese. Lay egg was not true.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That was version 31.20. It didn't last very long as the current release.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I hope Toady makes stuff more aggressive soon. I kind of feel bad about killing all these trolls. It feels like I'm massacring giant cuddly teddy bears :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

go baby!
usz: 0
post baby
post clean

This appeared in my error log. I haven't the faintest idea what it could possibly mean.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
edit: damnit, ignore

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Remember that bug where deconstructing walls teleports stuff around? Yeah, that's back.
It never went away; you were just using a binpatch to suppress it. Wait a few weeks and there'll be a new binpatch available (or maybe Toady will fix it properly during a bugfix pass).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

This appeared in my error log. I haven't the faintest idea what it could possibly mean.

I also have this maybe it has to do with cleaning up excessive babies from the last patch? I have some followed by numbers that aren't zero it goes down after clean on the next go baby! sometimes but not on all instances of clean.

It goes from 0 to 36 to 40 to 39 to 38 of the course of 217 lines of "errors" the only other error is path fail: raven,118,77,167 -> 103,58,184: Id #423:Path Goal Flee from Opponent:Station Owner at 127,86,184

Which seems normal to me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I hope Toady makes stuff more aggressive soon. I kind of feel bad about killing all these trolls. It feels like I'm massacring giant cuddly teddy bears :smith:

I recruited a couple of goblins in adventure mode, and they randomly turned on me and fought to the death.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
Future of the Fortress reply today, excerpt:

quote:

quote:

Toady, what are you envisioning for the job priorities redo? What will it entail, and how will it work?
We're still just kicking around ideas and reading relevant threads. It was from the vote system, so we'd more or less like to solve some of the problems people had there, but there are a few big things at the root of many woes, like v-p-l being a crappy way to edit a row on a spreadsheet that you don't want to have to deal with at all in the first place... at the same time allowing enough control for people that want control, and better decision making for people that want to let their migrants do whatever, but still have skilled workers do jobs designated as important (or whatever), and so on. Guilds are on the table as an AI-organizer starting point, but we're still considering how that interacts with the specific intent of the player and what sort of non-crap twiddling works for management if v-p-l is ditched. Aside from standard labors, there are also specific things like levers and broker jobs that might require a different approach.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Do you mean the dwarf fortresses? Right now that's just worldgen using the same symbol for big cities as for small hillocks - it's the same system as human hamlets in the last version.

No i mean the dwarf fortresses and elven retreats, they are all adjacent to each other. When embarking they are big squares right next to each other. Is it normal for the civilizations to build towns so close together?