Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

With all the droid chat that's been going on, I think I'll put together a droid slicer with a predilection for "freeing" systems from the shackles of encryption.

EDIT: Why does the Slicer tree have talents for breaking through security systems if they don't have access to Skulduggery?

I think it gets covered by Computers.

edit: to add to it: the core rulebook defines skulduggery more as physical, real-world crime: picking locks, using disguises, setting traps. Computers covers computer things (duh), including altering a droid's programming, searching through computer records (especially if encrypted), or bypassing/unlocking security systems. To me, at least, that's how you qualify a slicer using Computers for one of their specialization skills.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Narrator posted:

I think it gets covered by Computers.

Works for me. Also I found the perfect droid for this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/G2_repair_droid

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Works for me. Also I found the perfect droid for this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/G2_repair_droid

As someone who had to wait in line for that ride, you've made an excellent choice for a droid with personality. Just make sure your other crew members don't shut you down themselves!

On another subject: is it possible/easy/advisable to slot in custom PCs for the beginner adventure? I'd like to use the beginner adventure to get my new-to-EotE PCs accustomed to the game, but I'd also prefer it if I could get them to use characters that they made and use the adventure as a kickoff for the campaign. I don't actually have the beginner game yet, so I can't check if it addresses that very question.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Narrator posted:

As someone who had to wait in line for that ride, you've made an excellent choice for a droid with personality. Just make sure your other crew members don't shut you down themselves!

On another subject: is it possible/easy/advisable to slot in custom PCs for the beginner adventure? I'd like to use the beginner adventure to get my new-to-EotE PCs accustomed to the game, but I'd also prefer it if I could get them to use characters that they made and use the adventure as a kickoff for the campaign. I don't actually have the beginner game yet, so I can't check if it addresses that very question.

The Beginner Adventure has a specific stipulation about using your own PCs, namely that it's totally fine. Keep in mind that the pre-made characters are all a bit further along, experience wise, so you might want to tone down some of the encounters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

-Fish- posted:

Edit: Also in keeping with the shiptalk from earlier in the thread, we've got the Sapphire Song.

What model ship is that? I like it. A lot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jivjov posted:

What model ship is that? I like it. A lot.

Ghtroc 720. The YT-1300 for people who don't like YT-1300s.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Fuzz posted:

The Beginner Adventure has a specific stipulation about using your own PCs, namely that it's totally fine. Keep in mind that the pre-made characters are all a bit further along, experience wise, so you might want to tone down some of the encounters.

awesome. Though the beginner adventure has been noted as being easy; I assume that's because of the prebuilt characters' experience/abilities?

edit: so I mean, will using fresh PCs be that much more difficult?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Narrator posted:

awesome. Though the beginner adventure has been noted as being easy; I assume that's because of the prebuilt characters' experience/abilities?

edit: so I mean, will using fresh PCs be that much more difficult?

Just make sure someone in your group can pilot in some way, and your guys can defend themselves and you should be fine. The GM and the dice should do the rest.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also, more importantly: It's a turtle and turtles are loving boss as hell.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

-Fish- posted:

Also, more importantly: It's a turtle and turtles are loving boss as hell.

As a University of Maryland alum I totally loving confirm this.

Gonna propose to my group that we name our ship Testudo if we get a Ghtroc 720.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Ghtroc 720 is the best; one of our last space encounters involved a starfighter flying circles around us and lighting us up while we tried to get far enough away from the planet that we could enter hyperspace. We're not so great at space combat but we just flipped the other dude off and ignored him while we trucked on out. Thanks to the tankiness of the 720 we barely got a scratch on us despite taking a beating for five rounds.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it in the corebook, I can't find it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Is it in the corebook, I can't find it.

It's in Enter the Unknown.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So how does this look?

G2-GO, aka "Goose"
Character Sheet

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

PantsOptional posted:

Ghtroc 720 is the best; one of our last space encounters involved a starfighter flying circles around us and lighting us up while we tried to get far enough away from the planet that we could enter hyperspace. We're not so great at space combat but we just flipped the other dude off and ignored him while we trucked on out. Thanks to the tankiness of the 720 we barely got a scratch on us despite taking a beating for five rounds.

I know, I want to love the Ghtroc, but the "official" deckplans for the ship (from Starships of the Galaxy, also on Wookieepedia) are so abysmally stupid I can't bring myself to. Why do I feel beholden to (not) canon so??

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Rand Ecliptic posted:

I know, I want to love the Ghtroc, but the "official" deckplans for the ship (from Starships of the Galaxy, also on Wookieepedia) are so abysmally stupid I can't bring myself to. Why do I feel beholden to (not) canon so??

this one?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Another option: http://deckplans.00sf.com/Ghtroc/720/Ghtroc_720.html

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

That's a far more sensible layout.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I could use a little help, my players are exploring a system that is just in wild space that has been having spotty coverage with Hyperspace, and I'm trying to figure out a reason why it is having a problem and if they can make it a stable part of the Hyperspace lanes. So any advice on that would be welcome since feeling a bit lost.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ancient Sith Magicks (tm) is always a good one. Or an old Rakatan device that acts as a hyperspace shield. Or a derelict Interdictor cruiser that has partial power still pumping into its gravity well generators. Or the Celestials put a pulsar in orbit around a black hole and it's messing with space-time.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
In all honesty the derelict Interdictor with functioning grav well projection sounds like the simplest option.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

Ancient Sith Magicks (tm) is always a good one. Or an old Rakatan device that acts as a hyperspace shield. Or a derelict Interdictor cruiser that has partial power still pumping into its gravity well generators. Or the Celestials put a pulsar in orbit around a black hole and it's messing with space-time.

These are all awful.

Just say that the system inexplicably has a really erratic gravitational field, and they need to find out why. Deeper scans and they find out that there are a series of small mining bases scattered throughout the system's asteroid field, and they use gravity well projectors to rope in the asteroids they plan to mine, but that also gives the whole system a really dynamic and fluctuating gravity profile which fucks with hyperspace. The projectors are maybe controlled by a centralized asteroid base that's been overrun by pirates, or maybe the miners are all dead because they were raided by pirates, or maybe they've all been turned into Rakghouls, who knows.

Alternatively, the system's star is a pulsar with an irregular axis, so every time it spins the entire system's gravity changes and the planets all have really weird and unpredictable orbits because the whole star system is on the verge of flying apart.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Fuzz posted:

These are all awful.

Just say that the system inexplicably has a really erratic gravitational field, and they need to find out why. Deeper scans and they find out that there are a series of small mining bases scattered throughout the system's asteroid field, and they use gravity well projectors to rope in the asteroids they plan to mine, but that also gives the whole system a really dynamic and fluctuating gravity profile which fucks with hyperspace. The projectors are maybe controlled by a centralized asteroid base that's been overrun by pirates, or maybe the miners are all dead because they were raided by pirates, or maybe they've all been turned into Rakghouls, who knows.

Alternatively, the system's star is a pulsar with an irregular axis, so every time it spins the entire system's gravity changes and the planets all have really weird and unpredictable orbits because the whole star system is on the verge of flying apart.

Man, Fuzz. I want to steal your brain to run a game. I wish I could get into how PbP games work, but I'm more of a "hang out and enjoy the game" than a "here is my 1000 word character background." I tend to only have success with IRL tabletop games :smith:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

People who put 1000 word character submissions in PBP games are dumb. You write 2-3 paragraphs of generic characterization, and make up the rest of the poo poo as you go along.

This is also useful due to the fact that 98% of PBP games fizzle out before you have any chance to develop your character besides saying "Hi, I'm ________ and I do _______" and then rolling your dice twice and combat starts and the GM decides that PBP is a terrible format and quits. Because you're not attached to your character (ie you haven't yet wrote 1000 words about why he wears purple underwear even though he's a wookiee) you don't care that the game is dead, and can join another with another general character.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

These are all awful.

Hey man, I was just spitballing story hooks, was leaving it up to him to flesh them out into something workable. Star Wars is full of random one-off stellar phenomenon that may or may not have Sith/Celetial/slimeball-from-beyond-space origin.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Chortles posted:

In all honesty the derelict Interdictor with functioning grav well projection sounds like the simplest option.

I was thinking of something a long this line. That the system, while being undeclared, is being used as a base of operations for Pirates and that whenever the Hyperspace lanes going through the system are down it's cause they have powered up a jury rigged their own interdictor to shut down the system and keep it safe while the pirate fleet is out. Meaning that currently to my unknowing players they are wandering into a hornets nest of pirates.

Thank you everyone for the advice though. I was thinking that they would find some sort of temple complex with a weird artifact, which I may integrate into anyway. If the Rebels can use Sith ruins on Yavin IV why not pirates on some unknown planet

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 14, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

Hey man, I was just spitballing story hooks, was leaving it up to him to flesh them out into something workable. Star Wars is full of random one-off stellar phenomenon that may or may not have Sith/Celetial/slimeball-from-beyond-space origin.

Eh, I've always ascribed to the original trilogy, so crazy Sith wizardry or fantastical bullshit have always been a big turn off. My games stick to the old "Force as an energy field you can slightly manipulate" instead of "you can use the Force to implode a star." I prefer more sci-fi to the fantasy side.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Eh, I've always ascribed to the original trilogy, so crazy Sith wizardry or fantastical bullshit have always been a big turn off. My games stick to the old "Force as an energy field you can slightly manipulate" instead of "you can use the Force to implode a star." I prefer more sci-fi to the fantasy side.
Mind you, said original trilogy also dictated that with training that manipulation ends up looking like superpowers... but I get your point, and in any case I saw the derelict Interdictor idea as a case of Occam's razor for the options presented.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Derelict Interdictor was a legit cool option.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
After several weeks of casually reading the core rulebook, I'd like to run a session of this using the Beginner's Game. I like a lot of what I've seen in the book. In particular, I can't wait to see how the dice system works out in play. However, there are a few bits that I'm not too sure about.

First, there's the relatively minor point of rolling Initiative. Obviously, consistency is good, but the thought of rolling a dice pool for every involved character before combat can even start is not very appealing to me. Also, given that I only have a few packs of the special dice, there's a decent chance that there won't be enough dice to go around for everyone to roll Initiative at once. I know that NWOD changed Initiative from a dice pool to 1d10+[relevant stats] for precisely this reason. Would house-ruling something similar here break anything?

Second, while this isn't likely to matter to my game in the short term, I don't like the rule that you can only spend XP on characteristics/ability scores at character creation. It seems like that could create some weird character building incentives and maybe even trap options. Has anyone ever tried running a game without that restriction, and if so how did it work out?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

alg posted:

Derelict Interdictor was a legit cool option.

Yeah, that one was. The others were way too magical for my tastes, just in my opinion. :smugbert:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

INH5 posted:

Second, while this isn't likely to matter to my game in the short term, I don't like the rule that you can only spend XP on characteristics/ability scores at character creation. It seems like that could create some weird character building incentives and maybe even trap options. Has anyone ever tried running a game without that restriction, and if so how did it work out?

You can increase characteristics with a talent at the bottom of every specialization, and can take that talent as many times as you like, as long as you spend the XP to get to the bottom of a new specialization. A character should be able to get at least +3 in his starting career (the specializations are cheaper in-career); some careers have more specializations from supplements.

Speaking of weird character-building incentives, if you allow XP spending on characteristics at all times, increasing a characteristic will NEARLY ALWAYS be the best choice until everything is a 6, because increasing a characteristic increases the dice pool for all skills related to it. It creates a system where the characters get smarter and stronger but never learn a thing about Mechanics, no matter how many times they repair their ship, until they're all statistically nearly-identical demigods. If you leave it alone (and make sure to tell them that characteristics come slowly later), they'll spend up on them at generation, and then take character-defining specialization talents to get to those Dedication talents at the bottom, gaining new gameplay options as they go . . . because they have incentive to do so.

Buy the app or use the Roll20 plugin on a computer for initiative rolls, if nothing else. Could also buy the starter set for whichever game you don't have, for another set of dice. You could also pre-roll initiative for the bad guys, and just see where players fall in that order.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

homullus posted:

You can increase characteristics with a talent at the bottom of every specialization, and can take that talent as many times as you like, as long as you spend the XP to get to the bottom of a new specialization. A character should be able to get at least +3 in his starting career (the specializations are cheaper in-career); some careers have more specializations from supplements.

Speaking of weird character-building incentives, if you allow XP spending on characteristics at all times, increasing a characteristic will NEARLY ALWAYS be the best choice until everything is a 6, because increasing a characteristic increases the dice pool for all skills related to it. It creates a system where the characters get smarter and stronger but never learn a thing about Mechanics, no matter how many times they repair their ship, until they're all statistically nearly-identical demigods. If you leave it alone (and make sure to tell them that characteristics come slowly later), they'll spend up on them at generation, and then take character-defining specialization talents to get to those Dedication talents at the bottom, gaining new gameplay options as they go . . . because they have incentive to do so.

Buy the app or use the Roll20 plugin on a computer for initiative rolls, if nothing else. Could also buy the starter set for whichever game you don't have, for another set of dice. You could also pre-roll initiative for the bad guys, and just see where players fall in that order.

You can only have 3 specializations per character, though, so the max you can ever get post-creation is +3.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

homullus posted:

You could also pre-roll initiative for the bad guys, and just see where players fall in that order.

This is a pretty great idea, I did notice that rolling initiative slowed us down a bit in our first game so this would actually be a good way to allow them to roll for their own initiative but still get moving quickly onto combat proper. Thanks!

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

homullus posted:

Right. I kind of expected that you couldn't change something that important without messing up other aspects of the system. I just wanted to check with someone more experienced with the system to make sure. This still seems like a design kludge, but I'm not interested in rebuilding the system to come up with something better.

Though I still have mixed feelings about creation-only characteristic advancement potentially creating traps for inexperienced players. Even in this thread, I've read about people feeling pressured to put as much starting XP as possible into their characteristics. I think I might take a closer look at the character creation math and play around with ideas like splitting the starting XP into "characteristics XP" and "everything else XP" (though that raises questions like what happens with "leftover" characteristic XP that you can't spend?). Fortunately, I don't have to worry about this when running the Beginner Game.

There are also potential issues with XP discrepancies due to characteristics having scaling costs during character creation but flat costs when increasing them through a Specialization talent. But that seems relatively minor given the huge XP investment required to even get that option. Still, it seems like something that could have been avoided with better design.

homullus posted:

I'll look into those ideas, thanks.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Fuzz posted:

You can only have 3 specializations per character, though, so the max you can ever get post-creation is +3.

Is that a house rule you play with? The core rulebook says that there's no limit to how many specializations you can take.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Volatile Penguin posted:

Is that a house rule you play with? The core rulebook says that there's no limit to how many specializations you can take.

I'm fairly certain it specifically says in the EotE core that you can only take 3 specializations. I don't have it with me to check, but I distinctly remember reading it in there, unless maybe that was a Beta rule and they tossed it.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Fuzz posted:

I'm fairly certain it specifically says in the EotE core that you can only take 3 specializations. I don't have it with me to check, but I distinctly remember reading it in there, unless maybe that was a Beta rule and they tossed it.

Must have been from Beta. I'm looking in my EotE book now and the only thing I've been able to find about specialization limits is "There is no limit as to the number of specializations a character possesses." in the section about acquiring new ones.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Rather than loving with the chargen math, just let players purchase characteristics with post-chargen experience. Possibly to a maximum of 4 in a stat or to a maximum of some array like 4 4 4 3 3 2, so the talent-tree advances are still useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TheDemon posted:

Rather than loving with the chargen math, just let players purchase characteristics with post-chargen experience. Possibly to a maximum of 4 in a stat or to a maximum of some array like 4 4 4 3 3 2, so the talent-tree advances are still useful.

That completely breaks the system and trivializes most rolls.

• Locked thread