Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Swedish Horror posted:

there is a catholic kingdom of Africa(there was no crusade for this so I have no idea how it happened).

I find that this general thing (Muslim territories suddenly becoming Catholic) happens a lot for some reason. In two separate games I got the event that the Muslims are freaking out over the loss of Mecca and are about to start waging jihad, so I looked over to find that the Count of Mecca is Catholic now. There's no Catholic claimant to the title, no one in the original count's family is Catholic, his lieges were still Muslim, I have no idea what the hell happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Swedish Horror posted:

I think my ruler might be immortal, anyone know any good ways to kill him off?

In this game: England turned Cathar and Brittany took them over, Egypt is controlled by the Hashashin, and there is a catholic kingdom of Africa(there was no crusade for this so I have no idea how it happened).

I had a ruler that wasn't immortal, but been granted 10 health with the ruler designer. Usually not a big deal, lives into the 70ies and such.

Except this one lived to 110 years old, then got hit in the head with a mace and went on to die at like 120 :psyduck:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If I have a weak claim on a province, can I still get a strong claim on it by sending my chancellor there to fabricate claims? My character died while pressing claims against a republic, so his son inherited the claims as weak claims. Since weak claims can only be pressed against a regency, female ruler, etc., it's very unlikely that I will be able to press them against the republic (only way I can think of is if the doge ends up incapable). Do I have a hope of ending up with a strong claim or does already having a weak claim preclude that somehow?

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
No you're good, send him in.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I really wish the Abassids would fracture more, in the 867 start they always end up as a mega blob that makes it more or less impossible to play in the area.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
I've only had them form an unstoppable mega blob once or twice, of course it always seems to happen when the HRE forms.

Also how common is it for the AI to try and reform any of the pagan religions? I haven't seen it happen for any of them yet.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

mornhaven posted:

I've only had them form an unstoppable mega blob once or twice, of course it always seems to happen when the HRE forms.

Also how common is it for the AI to try and reform any of the pagan religions? I haven't seen it happen for any of them yet.

Tengri will reform most of the time in 867 starts thanks to Cuman and Magyar event troops. Their holy sites should probably be changed to be a little more spread out, maybe move one to Samarkand or Bukkhara or something. It becomes terrifying later in the game since Mongols will never have a reason not to bulldoze their way across half the map. I've seen the Norse reform rarely, only when one of the Scandinavian kings gets lucky and inherits or subjugates the other titles. Otherwise the Karlings are just too organized to take the mainland holy sites. I haven't seen any others reform of their own accord.

On the same general line I've been thinking about doing some slight tweaking of the Jain religious mechanics, since the +30 bonus to vassal relations is absolutely insane. Nearly every game I've seen since RoI the Rashkatruka (probably mispelled that) have blobbed wildly out of control. In general I'd like to do a very light touching up of India, maybe add some impassable terrain to represent the rough interior and add some definition to what is otherwise a undifferentiated mass of provinces.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 13, 2014

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

My liege managed to talk me out of forming factions, which is infuriating, because we're at high crown authority so I have nothing else to do but scheme against him. How long does this last before I can start leading the crown authority faction again? I don't trust the AI to make demands in a sensible way.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nolanar posted:

My liege managed to talk me out of forming factions, which is infuriating, because we're at high crown authority so I have nothing else to do but scheme against him. How long does this last before I can start leading the crown authority faction again? I don't trust the AI to make demands in a sensible way.

10 years, if I remember correctly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you stab the king who insisted you stop conspiring against him, does that reset the timer so you can conspire against his successor?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Won a crusade as a merchant republic. What's the best way to organize the new Outremer? Should I just turn it into a competing merchant republic under a dynasty member, or turn it into dukedoms/archbishops? Need it to be strong to fight off the inevitable jihad/counter holy war that is surely brewing.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

sullat posted:

Won a crusade as a merchant republic. What's the best way to organize the new Outremer? Should I just turn it into a competing merchant republic under a dynasty member, or turn it into dukedoms/archbishops? Need it to be strong to fight off the inevitable jihad/counter holy war that is surely brewing.

There is a weird bug with giving away kingdoms to other members of your family in a merchant republic, fyi, so save if you're not iron man, and if you are...I'd just hang on to it. If you think you can fight off a jihad then I'd just keep it. Turn it into dukedoms/archbishoprics. If it's Jerusalem and you're christian you should be able to vassalize a couple holy orders, and them plus some mercenaries + your retinue should put up a decent fight against the muslims, but it depends on the state of the world.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I just wish there was a way to tell your liege to go gently caress himself when he asks you to stop conspiring in the faction. If I'm near the threshold/rich/have foreign allies/etc. then it's silly that the only option is to back down.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you stab the king who insisted you stop conspiring against him, does that reset the timer so you can conspire against his successor?

I believe so, it is tracked as an opinion modifier, so a different liege shouldn't have that opinion modifier.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Bold Robot posted:

I just wish there was a way to tell your liege to go gently caress himself when he asks you to stop conspiring in the faction. If I'm near the threshold/rich/have foreign allies/etc. then it's silly that the only option is to back down.

Especially when the AI can tell you to gently caress off. :what:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Actually the AI can only tell you to go take a hike if you have no leverage and use the "ask politely" option. If you use anything else - legalism, threats, black mail - it will always agree (or at least I've never seen it do that).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you have the honest or kind traits that also means you pretty much can't refuse your liege if he asks.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

MrBling posted:

If you have the honest or kind traits that also means you pretty much can't refuse your liege if he asks.

This was my problem. I had both traits, so I got to choose which way I meekly backed down. I'm hoping to get a faction going more quickly once his 0-diplo shitlord of a son takes the throne. I'm already the most powerful vassal, so it should go well I hope.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Is vassalizing a holy order (as shows up as a decision in CapnAndy's LP) different from vassalizing the GM of the order the old fashioned way?

My brother wound up GM of the Templars and I gave him a duchy and then vassalized him, will that go to hell when he dies and some dude becomes both a duke and GM of the Templars?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

JoshTheStampede posted:

Is vassalizing a holy order (as shows up as a decision in CapnAndy's LP) different from vassalizing the GM of the order the old fashioned way?

My brother wound up GM of the Templars and I gave him a duchy and then vassalized him, will that go to hell when he dies and some dude becomes both a duke and GM of the Templars?

It's effectively the same thing. The new GM of the templars will get the duchy and remain your vassal.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tsyni posted:

It's effectively the same thing. The new GM of the templars will get the duchy and remain your vassal.

So what does the "vassalize the Templars" button actually do then? Give them a random duchy or something?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

JoshTheStampede posted:

So what does the "vassalize the Templars" button actually do then? Give them a random duchy or something?

It just makes them your vassal. The Templars is a duke level title and it places it under you. Granting them a duchy you are de-jure lord of and vassalizing that way is just a tricky way to get over the "not my de-jure lord" malus.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well that's the end of my norse game I think. Failed in a bid to overthrow the catholic king that I'd earlier installed (while he was still norse, ha) and now he hates me so much he's refusing all ransoms and thrown me in the oubilette, now he's handing over tons of land to the Teutonic Order. To spite him before he starts revoking all my poo poo, I gave away most of my land to the Jomsvikings and am just watching the rest of the game unfold from my jail cell.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What is with peasant and religious revolts? As the count of Nantes in the 867 start I lost Nantes to a 7k strong peasant revolt then a couple years later I got a 5k strong Catholic revolt in Wales. The whole game (all 20 years or so) I've never been able to raise more than 2k men, so what the gently caress Paradox you are essentially telling me "you have to lose land, gently caress you" because these revolts keep their event troops once they win the war.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Faction frustration continues. Since I'm too nice to be able to lead a faction, I'm stuck in the passenger seat shouting at the faction leader to actually present our demands. We have 120%+ of his men, I have enough gold to double that with mercenaries, just talk to the loving emperor! We've spent three years like this. Is there any trigger to get him to actually kick off the fight, or am I stuck watching the revolution fizzle out until the RNG favors me?

On that note, when if we finally revolt, will I still be able to meaningfully contribute to the war despite being a "follower" in it? It looks like the rebels all get folded into a single title under the rebellion leader now, and I remember vassal war contributions being a mess.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Bort Bortles posted:

What is with peasant and religious revolts? As the count of Nantes in the 867 start I lost Nantes to a 7k strong peasant revolt then a couple years later I got a 5k strong Catholic revolt in Wales. The whole game (all 20 years or so) I've never been able to raise more than 2k men, so what the gently caress Paradox you are essentially telling me "you have to lose land, gently caress you" because these revolts keep their event troops once they win the war.

They are really lovely. I got to my 22nd Catholic revolt playing as Ivar before I threw up my hands and went back to playing Christians. The most obnoxious part to me is that there isn't even any real historical justification for them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fuligin posted:

They are really lovely. I got to my 22nd Catholic revolt playing as Ivar before I threw up my hands and went back to playing Christians. The most obnoxious part to me is that there isn't even any real historical justification for them.

Yeah if they were a bit more manageable I could sorta understand it, but having to fight something 350% stronger than me 5 years into the game was pretty :confused::arghfist:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What did happen historically in Christian lands the Norse more or less settled? Fitfully rule the natives until the Norse were converted or driven out by other Christians?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tsyni posted:

It just makes them your vassal. The Templars is a duke level title and it places it under you. Granting them a duchy you are de-jure lord of and vassalizing that way is just a tricky way to get over the "not my de-jure lord" malus.

Fun thing I learned:

My brother was the Gm of the Templars and my vassal. When I won Jerusalem in a crusade, I gave him the Kingdom - seemed only right, since he did most of the heavy lifting to win it for me, he's my brother and has been in the Templars since he was 16, and so on.

I did not realize that would make him switch all his successions to Primo, and since he's my brother and has been in the templars since he was 16, he has no sons so his heir is...me. So...now I am also the head of the Templars, and can hire myself for free.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

You'd just better not ever let your bank get up to 350 ducats.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Always use your marshal to put down revolts in your capital (or elsewhere) when the chance is more than 0%. revolts are simply too dangerous and the benefit from not having a revolt is huge compared to the marginal benefits the other two options give.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
I have not been playing this game for long, but here is a summary of my first game that did not end with being Knifed in the back, or catching the great-pox

I'm playing a 1066 game and I started as Leon. My first king had 8 children, 5 being daughters so I married them off, mostly to duke level titles. I did however let my wife educate them first , and she was an elusive shadow. One was married in the HRE, one in Hungry, one to England, one to Norway, and the last to Byzantium. A king later, and only Portugal short of founding Hispania I was called into war against Poland by an ally. Hungry. Sure enough my Dynasty owned Hungry, so I checked the family tree and found my Daughter. She ended up being married 3 times, her first 2 husbands dieing of "accidents" along with her first three sons, the first by the first husband and the next two by the second. Her fourth son, was heir to two duchies and a spare county. His son, married the princess of hungry. The princess' two brothers also died before even reaching adulthood. Leaving their children, of my Dynasty, Rulers of Hungry. So that's cool. I helped out in their war and got back to business.

A while later, I now owning, all of Iberia, Aquataine, and East Africa, when I declared war on a sultan for the kingdom Africa I got an offer to join my Holy war. From the HRE. Sure enough my Family was on the throne. When I checked out the HRE my family owned about half the duchies. The daughter I left there just started popping out children and didn't stop. She had 8 children and most of her kids had more then 3 children each. They just got that many duchies through marriage and voted themselves in.

Here I went to check the dynasty map, which I hadn't known even existed before someone showed it to me, and realized my family also Controlled Norway, the ERE, Scotland, Poland, and 2 of the independent duchies fighting over who gets to form Italy. I also Personally own the Papacy and made a Nephew Pope, and the Empires of Hispania and Francia. If any of us went to war or was declared on most of the other family branches offered to help and ran train. Hungry being backed by 3 empires started becoming an eastern European superpower, Norway owned all of the north, most of Europe was ruled by my family, with England under siege by my Vassals and I realized I had became the Karlings. The Golden Horde has just appeared on my map and I am dreading when the Aztecs will land in Spain. But have the manpower to Handle it. A kingdom away from creating the Arabian Empire, and I just might have been able to bring Hispania and the HRE under one banner and ruler.

I finally managed to achieve a eugenic dream and have a child that is Attractive, Genius and Strong, Immediately named my Heir and educated by me, already Lustful, Kind, just and humble at age 13.

And then my wife flipped her poo poo and stabbed me.

I am now a 13 year old emperor, the greatest 13 year old but still 13, and my regnant is my Inbreed, cruel, greedy, craven uncle from Gallica, who is already trying to lower my authority. A Jihad was declared for The kingdom of Africa, the England I hold is revolting, the old French King's son I ousted is rising an adventuring Army to take back France, and the Pope decides now is the best time ever to call for a crusade and Distract the rest of my Dynasty from helping me.

loving Crusader Kings.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think I just discovered a new level of bullshit in this game.

I've been trying to take the duchy of Aquitaine from the HRE for about 250 years, but they keep pulling absurd bs out of their rear end. This time, I'm in a fight and then suddenly, my troop numbers start dropping by literal THOUSANDS a day. And I go "What the bloody gently caress?"

I click on the Emperor, who was leading that flank of troops. He has converted to Waldensian, is possessed, and suddenly has gained the "Holy Warrior" trait. Are you loving kidding me.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
What is the advantage to pressing weak claims of your subjects that don't end up with them as vassals to you?

Also, my Spymaster is currently leading a revolt in one of the Welsh counties, is there any way to take advantage of this situation? I would love to get a toehold in there as my next goal is take over this part of the world completely but everything is locked up pretty tight and I don't quite have the military strength to go head to head with any of them, not to mention my current member of my dynasty is about to kick the bucket and the heir kinda sucks.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

vulturesrow posted:

What is the advantage to pressing weak claims of your subjects that don't end up with them as vassals to you?

Depending on the situation it might be preferable to wittle down some emerging threat's power by breaking off some piece of it, for instance a rival kingdom who just recently exhausted their massive levy pool on some dumb war and are open to an opportunistic attack. Also, you'll get a large relations boost with the person you helped out and you get to feel warm and fuzzy inside. Outside of that, no reason to do it, really.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

JoshTheStampede posted:

Fun thing I learned:

My brother was the Gm of the Templars and my vassal. When I won Jerusalem in a crusade, I gave him the Kingdom - seemed only right, since he did most of the heavy lifting to win it for me, he's my brother and has been in the Templars since he was 16, and so on.

I did not realize that would make him switch all his successions to Primo, and since he's my brother and has been in the templars since he was 16, he has no sons so his heir is...me. So...now I am also the head of the Templars, and can hire myself for free.

I was going to warn you about this because I believe there are some disadvantages, unless things have changed in a recent patch. You probably can't get married. There might be some other issues too, but I can't recall off hand.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

If they're only your courtiers, you can set up marriages between them and your dynasty such that the title at stake eventually falls into your dynasty's hands.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So, I ran into something pretty frustrating that I don't quite understand in an MP game that really bothered my friend.

Background: All of us are fairly new to the game, so even doing our best to cooperate, we're still only holding our own. One of us doesn't have the Old Gods and we were running into issues on the earlier start time, so we figured we'd play 1066 as dukes in the HRE. One's a Prussian fanboy playing Brandenburg, the other's an Austria fanboy playing Bavaria, and I don't like Germans so I'm Bohemia. It's all going fairly well. Bavaria and I are kingdoms, and Brandenburg is rapidly expanding through pagan lands with our aid (when we can give it- the number of children we've married to each other who have died is simply staggering; the best was when my daughter married to my friend's son died at the exact same time as his other son married to my other daughter died- we just married off the survivors and chuckled... until my daughter died a year later). The only thing I've really done as Bohemia is to try and seize a province from Poland, ignorant of their twelve thousand man army and 24 mil king... somehow beating them with our 7000 man army with the help of William the Conquerer who had been deposed and fled to my court (I had married his daughter), and the absolutely critical contribution of Brandenburg, who accidentally sent his 500 man army to Lower Silesia instead of Upper Silesia, putting him in exactly the right place to catch the defeated Polish army off guard as an 8000 man army from Denmark came marching down, fully capable of destroying all our surviving armies if it arrived in time, despite our 96% warscore (we won by the barest skin of our teeth).

Anyway, that all's been great fun, but there was an issue Bavaria had with an HRE-internal war recently. He was going after a de jure province of Bavaria owned by Swabia, which he beat handily. But every time he gets to 100% warscore and asks for the province, the Duchy of Swabia changes hands- the old Duke is deposed and a new Duke gets all his lands, critically keeping the province Bavaria is going after.

This is quite frustrating, as during this war crown authority was raised to medium, preventing any further wars within the HRE until we do something about that.

So what's going on? Is the guy somehow resigning out of spite to gently caress my friend over? Is the fact that the crown authority changed causing weird stuff to happen?

As a side note, what's the most effective way of loving with the HRE from inside? I suppose one of us becoming the emperor and loving with poo poo from the top might be fun. For a laugh we all joined an Italian independence faction, and that blew up in our face as the Emperor... let us actually have it! (Totally hosed up one of Bavaria's war for Austria until we reloaded.) The HRE is a ton of fun in MP. I bet it'd be even more fun if it was full of human dukes and they weren't so overtly cooperating.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Eiba posted:

As a side note, what's the most effective way of loving with the HRE from inside? I suppose one of us becoming the emperor and loving with poo poo from the top might be fun. For a laugh we all joined an Italian independence faction, and that blew up in our face as the Emperor... let us actually have it! (Totally hosed up one of Bavaria's war for Austria until we reloaded.) The HRE is a ton of fun in MP. I bet it'd be even more fun if it was full of human dukes and they weren't so overtly cooperating.

No idea what's happening in the specific case, but this I have some experience in:

loving with the HRE from the inside is easier than doing so from the outside, since you don't have to face the might of the entire HRE if you can get some decent help. Here's my priority list:

#1 priority: Lowering CA. Ideally, you want to do this by installing claimants, since that not only lowers CA, but also makes you a friend of the Emperor and pisses off everybody else because of the short reign malus (ideally, pick somebody with poo poo diplomacy to lead to more revolts).
#2 priority: Elective succession. You do this to generate more claimants, leading to more fuckery from the AI. Ideally, you want to encourage AI fuckery by pressing internal duchy claims for Ambitious courtiers as well.
#3 priority: Internal expansion. The stronger you are relative to the entire realm, the better you can gently caress with the Emperor.
#4 priority: External expansion. Not as great as internal expansion since you don't have the double whammy of growing larger yourself and making enemies smaller at the same time, but if there's a juicy target, there's no harm in bringing them into the fold if you can hold them.
#5 priority: Independence. Once you really hosed with the Emperor by reducing him to the Autonomous Vassals Elective 3 revolts going on at the same time clusterfuck he should be, deal the final blow by getting the gently caress out of there once you feel you're ready.

I did some HRE fuckery in my vassal LP in the tutorial LP thread, so maybe check that out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
If THE POPE wins a Crusade, does he relinquish the gained titles to the second highest contributor? Because I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me and I think I'm reading the CB file correctly.

• Locked thread