Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tollymain posted:

big bad guy who is literally sauron

Haven't watched LoTR in like 10 years. Is what I described really that similar? drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Sionak posted:

I appreciate the in-depth reply. It definitely helps me understood both your class and DW as a whole better. (As proved by my question about fronts above, I still have things to internalize about the system.) And I appreciate Deltasquid's suggestions, too, to give it a more metaphysical feel. I have tried to keep the encounters varied, but we're getting to the last third of the game and there's some long-awaited "boss" fights coming up.

I guess I am really struggling with the nature of high-level DW play rather than the IW classes. I hate to come back to the 16 HP dragon type argument but it does seem like a lot of the monsters that were a great challenge early on become little more than speedbumps once the party has earned their advanced moves and practiced using them to complement each other.

I have a couple villains who have been developing over the course of the game, who I feel should be cool and involved setpiece battles, and I don't want them to go down like chumps. But this is requiring me to either throw in a whole lot of complications (Defy Danger, stacked ambushes, etc) - and it feels like I'm trying to push DW in a direction it's not entirely meant to go.

So this is where I ask.. how many other people have run a campaign of DW up to level 7 and 8, or even level 10? How did you find it? Has anyone used the character retirement or replacement rules at all?

I find DW works best for me when I throw multiple dangers into the mix. I pretty much count "destabilise the environment" as a DM move, though it's consequences usually imply one or more other DM moves.

By making the environment unstable you make any action require extra thought and it ratchets up the tension. Fire is a great metaphor and physical representation of escalation. A collapsing floor or ceiling, a room flooding, a mystery gas boiling up, lava, explosions, acid, the cold vacuum of the void, a magical dimension leaking in... Trouble that the players can't just stab in the face.

You can also consider putting something they hold dear in danger by something tangential.

Basically, set everything on fire.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
For a number of players I've known, setting everything on fire is something they hold dear.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deltasquid posted:

Haven't watched LoTR in like 10 years. Is what I described really that similar? drat.

nah, but big s survived an absurd amount of things, including at least two apocalyptic events and the physical destruction of his body more than one once iirc

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hey yo, question.

I'm developing my own little setting, kind of like Inverse World. I want to make some new playbooks, but I'm not wanting to make like a bunch of them. I was thinking about combing two similar ideas into a single playbook, so that you could effectively have 3 different playbooks in one. Example:

A Fighter-Type guy + a Scavenger/Engineer guy

You could focus on being a maximum punch man and just roll around cleaving dudes and generally being pretty good at that, or you could focus on being a guy who repairs and improves equipment, disassembles things, builds crazy stuff, etc. Would this be a bad idea? The downsides I'm seeing are just like, you not having enough options to really go to town on a single style, but I don't want to make just A Fighter or just A Mage anyway, so...

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Hey yo, question.

I'm developing my own little setting, kind of like Inverse World. I want to make some new playbooks, but I'm not wanting to make like a bunch of them. I was thinking about combing two similar ideas into a single playbook, so that you could effectively have 3 different playbooks in one. Example:

You could focus on being a maximum punch man and just roll around cleaving dudes and generally being pretty good at that, or you could focus on being a guy who repairs and improves equipment, disassembles things, builds crazy stuff, etc. Would this be a bad idea? The downsides I'm seeing are just like, you not having enough options to really go to town on a single style, but I don't want to make just A Fighter or just A Mage anyway, so...

I think Pirate World does something similar to that, doesn't it? Or possibly the opposite implementation.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Babe Magnet posted:

Hey yo, question.

To paraphrase some advice gnome7 gave in one of these threads, a good playbook will have three pools of moves. Take the Lantern. It has moves about manipulating light, it has moves about turning your little will-o'-wisp buddy into things like shields and fists and all that other Green Lantern nonsense, and it has moves about being a wise person that people should listen to. This should give you plenty of room to make moves without either diluting the concept down to the point where it's unrecognizable or having to write a dozen moves that are all variations on the same theme just to fill up space.

So, for your fighter/scavenger idea, maybe make some moves about forcibly taking stuff apart, some moves about taking what you have and making something useful with what you have, and some moves about being a ornery bastard that doesn't listen to reason. Or something like that, I'm honestly just throwing ideas at the wall right now. The point is, if you can think of three fields that a fighter/scavenger, you can probably think of enough moves to let it sit anywhere on the fighter/scavenger spectrum without making someone take a move that doesn't feel like it fits.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, I'll take a look at Pirate World, thanks!

And yeah, I'm definitely trying to keep all of the playbooks thematically similar to themselves. If I can help it, there won't ever be a move you can take that would seem out of character. I'm just trying to make the same playbook allow a character that is "Wandering Ronin Battleguy", "Junkyard dwelling mechanic", and "Survivalist explorer self-reliantguy" all at once, but I guess that's up to the player in that regard. I'll worry about it when I get to it, I guess.

I'll probably post a preview of the setting here in a bit. I think it's pretty cool and unique so far, but I could be wrong.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, I'll take a look at Pirate World, thanks!

And yeah, I'm definitely trying to keep all of the playbooks thematically similar to themselves. If I can help it, there won't ever be a move you can take that would seem out of character. I'm just trying to make the same playbook allow a character that is "Wandering Ronin Battleguy", "Junkyard dwelling mechanic", and "Survivalist explorer self-reliantguy" all at once, but I guess that's up to the player in that regard. I'll worry about it when I get to it, I guess.

I'll probably post a preview of the setting here in a bit. I think it's pretty cool and unique so far, but I could be wrong.

The wandering ronin is probably a bit too far from the scavenger/engineer part of the concept for whatever starting moves you make, but I think you could cover the "Monster Hunter character" to "TF2 Engineer" range pretty well. I mean, your starting moves are going to need at least a /bit/ of each movepool, so so every character that uses the playbook is either going to be a bit fight-y or a bit scavenge-y no matter what.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I get what you're saying. I think I'll try to build this up so it allows most other types of playbooks without too much problem. That way, if you wanted to be a guy who just wanders around and beats up nerds, without any of the scavenger/construction stuff, you could just snag the Fighter playbook and change a few bits here and there for fiction. It's early enough to where I can make that sort of decision without rewriting too much, hah.

But yeah, definitely going to have it's own playbooks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

I wrote a very long post on what you need to write a DW playbook, because it's much more complicated than writing an AW playbook: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19BTVLzbEQRn6rVmUPjJoLHEho27pUB6RC5r7eprTpUM/edit

The short version is basically "you can't just jam three unrelated ideas into one playbook, it doesn't really work that well," but you definitely do need to come up with 2-3 related concepts to have enough material for one playbook.

It's also worth asking yourself "do I need to write a full playbook, or would this concept be represented just fine by an existing playbook with a few moves changed?"

protomexican
May 1, 2009
I just bought a bunch of playbooks on DTRPG, but the Old School Bundle (Dwarf, Elf, Halfling) isn't downloading. Is anyone else having this problem?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Drivethru servers can be iffy sometimes, especially if there's a sale going on or about to go on (The "Christmas in July" sale in this instance). If it doesn't work later, just hit me up and I'll help you out.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

protomexican posted:

I just bought a bunch of playbooks on DTRPG, but the Old School Bundle (Dwarf, Elf, Halfling) isn't downloading. Is anyone else having this problem?

I've had issues with long waits. Assuming you don't have a completely different issue, just be patient and give it some time and/or try again later.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
I sorted it out. The link in my library was busted, but the one in my purchase history worked fine.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'm working on a kind of "masked adventurer" playbook where you're normally a mild-mannered non combat character but where you can take advantage of distractions to change into your alter ego, at which point you wreck everyone's face. My source material here is heroes like Zorro who pretend to be harmless and maybe even a little inept in their civilian identity to throw off suspicion.

The thing I'm struggling to model in the moves is that I want the idea of leading a double life to be a major part of how the playbook plays. My thought is to replace the racial moves with a "why do you wear the mask?" move which gives a benefit and then the consequences if anyone discovers your secret identity and then having the possible result of a failed roll for playbook-specific moves be that the character gives themselves away. My struggle here is that I want to make the consequences interesting and something the player would want to avoid to get them invested in guarding their secret identity, but not so onerous that the playbook's gimmick is ruined when someone inevitably finds out who you are.

Does anyone have any advice?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Baby Babbeh posted:

I'm working on a kind of "masked adventurer" playbook where you're normally a mild-mannered non combat character but where you can take advantage of distractions to change into your alter ego, at which point you wreck everyone's face. My source material here is heroes like Zorro who pretend to be harmless and maybe even a little inept in their civilian identity to throw off suspicion.

The thing I'm struggling to model in the moves is that I want the idea of leading a double life to be a major part of how the playbook plays. My thought is to replace the racial moves with a "why do you wear the mask?" move which gives a benefit and then the consequences if anyone discovers your secret identity and then having the possible result of a failed roll for playbook-specific moves be that the character gives themselves away. My struggle here is that I want to make the consequences interesting and something the player would want to avoid to get them invested in guarding their secret identity, but not so onerous that the playbook's gimmick is ruined when someone inevitably finds out who you are.

Does anyone have any advice?

I prefer that no one ever truly knows your identity. Something like: Your mask is never removed unless you choose it to be. Whenever something might remove the mask, something prevents it. (Maybe it's a roll? I don't know.)

EDIT: Then again, the possibility that someone might learn about you is intriguing. Perhaps instead of revealing your identity, they get hidden information about you somehow (birthmarks, tattoos, scars in normally hidden places, recognize your voice, realize you have information you shouldn't).

RSIxidor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 15, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Got pointed here from the 5e thread and bought the $10 rulebook and this looks seriously seriously fun!

Some advice needed on the outset - do you guys do grid combat? Hexes?

Also is there a necromancer class or book floating around out there? One player has an awesome idea to be a ragged necromancer with an aristocratic masked skeleton servant who is in disguise. He speaks through the skeleton so people assume the skeleton is the important one.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Combat is primarily narrative in this game, but if you want some granularity importing FATE's concept of zones works very well. (Plus, maps. Making maps is one of your GM jobs.)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lord Twisted posted:

Got pointed here from the 5e thread and bought the $10 rulebook and this looks seriously seriously fun!

Welcome!

quote:

neither, combat isn't ever something that needs to be meticulously plotted out. It's all descriptive, which is why all ranges are described in general terms, and defined as basic zones of conflict. "can you see the whites of his eyes?" if yes, your weapon with the 'near' tag can reach him, but your 'reach' weapon is too short to get him.

everything falls mostly on an honor system of sorts where your character can do whatever your character can do (can they hover? do they have nightvision?, etc.) if it makes sense, then they can do it, the only time a roll or a mechanic is called for is if it triggers a move.

"You can fly, but flying out of the way of that charging monster is Defying Danger (and you roll Defy Danger just as it appears in the book.)

"Since I can see in the dark, I swing at the bandit's head." Since even if the bandit can't see you, he's still gonna flail and try to defend himself so that's a Hack and Slash because you're attacking and facing a chance of receiving damage in return.

quote:

Also is there a necromancer class or book floating around out there? One player has an awesome idea to be a ragged necromancer with an aristocratic masked skeleton servant who is in disguise. He speaks through the skeleton so people assume the skeleton is the important one.

A. The OP of this thread has links to a fuckton of playbooks, and a lot of them are free, I think the only specific Necromancer is in Grim World (not free) but you, as GM, can probably find something that'll work.

B. That is a kick-rear end character concept.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 15, 2014

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Error 404 posted:

... The OP of this thread has links to all known playbooks, ...
That's not true, but it's pretty good. DriveThru and similar sites often get playbooks faster than the OP is updated, and some slip through the cracks. For example, I know The Gallant isn't in the OP (and it should be ;) )
Gnome, can you help out with that?

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 15, 2014

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

In addition to what others said, sometimes its useful to draw out areas. Not always needed, but it can be good to scribble out the general layout of an area. One of my favorite sessions was at a convention in which I'd drawn several locations from a pre-built dungeon on index cards and laid them out as a map as we went through the dungeon. The index cards didn't make the game, though, they just helped players (all new to DW) figure out what was going on.

Also, +1 to the idea of importing FATE's Zones. Love that concept.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Lord Twisted posted:

We use white boards and tokens, but it's mostly as a visual aid. Precise movement and positioning isn't really all that important in DW like it is in 4e D&D.

Lord Twisted posted:

You might also want to look at the Noble class in the OP. It's built around controlling two characters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

In addition to what others have already said about this, I would really recommend you read the GMing section in the book, as well as the Dungeon World guide linked in the OP. That should help you understand how DW works in general - it's pretty different from most major RPGs.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Got it. The player who wants to do the necromancer might buy the grim world book as its only £10. Fairly excited for this, it looks like a breath of fresh air. Just need to study some of the GM guides to break out of the 4e mindset.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lord Twisted posted:

Just need to study some of the GM guides to break out of the 4e mindset.

This is literally the hardest part of running dungeon world, or playing it.

You'll be fine.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

RSIxidor posted:

I prefer that no one ever truly knows your identity. Something like: Your mask is never removed unless you choose it to be. Whenever something might remove the mask, something prevents it. (Maybe it's a roll? I don't know.)

You could also make it so that if someone tries removing your mask and you don't want it off, it comes off only to reveal an identical mask underneath.

Seriously, though, maybe instead of "why you wear the mask", maybe choose "what is the mask?" instead. For instance, it could just be an ordinary mask, or it could be the source of your powers. OR it could also be what you use to focus them. And then from there you can make a pretty broad spectrum of various abilities that could be from any of those sources.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

I had an idea for a playbook, but I think maybe it can't be a serious playbook. I was thinking about 4e for some reason and decided it would be fun to take the word paragon somewhat more literally. What I was thinking was the paragon would be best at doing what others screw up. An exemplar of cleaning up other people's messes. I don't think it can really flesh out too much, though. Maybe would make sense as a compendium class or maybe a bad guy that tags along with the heroes for awhile and does what they were doing when they failed, but succeeds (siphoning the energy of their failures?). I really got far from the word paragon, perhaps I don't mean quite so literally.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

RSIxidor posted:

EDIT: Then again, the possibility that someone might learn about you is intriguing. Perhaps instead of revealing your identity, they get hidden information about you somehow (birthmarks, tattoos, scars in normally hidden places, recognize your voice, realize you have information you shouldn't).

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm going for. I don't want any one failed roll to be "You hosed up and now everybody knows who you are" but more "Oh poo poo, you inadvertently gave something away. Now what do you do?" I want failed moves to snowball and introduce complications in the form of things the character has to deal with to keep their identity a secret. Perhaps a -1 ongoing to the transformation move until you do something to alleviate suspicion? Actually, keeping the consequences mostly in the fiction might work better than a lot of mechanical penalties.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

You could also make it so that if someone tries removing your mask and you don't want it off, it comes off only to reveal an identical mask underneath.

Seriously, though, maybe instead of "why you wear the mask", maybe choose "what is the mask?" instead. For instance, it could just be an ordinary mask, or it could be the source of your powers. OR it could also be what you use to focus them. And then from there you can make a pretty broad spectrum of various abilities that could be from any of those sources.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MaskOfPower vs http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CoolMask vs ... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeneathTheMask ?

Beneath The Mask should really be a starting move, probably to do with the secret identity and what the character is hiding when they don the mask.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

The core book describes some weapon ranges, I use these as a guide as to how far everyone is from each other. if goblins are shooting crude arrows at you from near range, I'll let you change them while only drawing fire once. If an elven mercenary is harrying you from far range, you are going to need to get creative to approach him without becoming a pincushion.

I also draw rough maps of the area so the players can decide where to head, or what cluster of combat they are involved in.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 15, 2014

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
The range system in DW makes for a really bad match with any sort of grid or fixed distances- telling them that something is in Hand/Close/Reach/Near/Far is usually enough. There's also playbooks such as the Dashing Hero whose moves rely on the environment being vague, adding narratively convenient details on the fly.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I used stacked DVD boxes to show vertical positioning during a freefall fight. When a player asks "am I close enough to X to do X" the default answer should be "Yes, if you do something cool" or "yes, if you choose NOT to do something else."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Golden Bee posted:

I used stacked DVD boxes to show vertical positioning during a freefall fight. When a player asks "am I close enough to X to do X" the default answer should be "Yes, if you do something cool" or "yes, if you choose NOT to do something else."

This is awesome, And I'm stealing it!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Okay so I'm working on this setting yeah? I mentioned it before I think. So I'm looking for a little inspiration and a little guidance and how I should put this together and all, and I notice that Inverse World and Pirate World both had kickstarters. How like, different are IW and PW from the base DW/Fate books? I don't have any money so I can't buy them at the moment to find out, but I'm checking out the DTRPG pages for them and it's pretty vague outside of "new setting, we changed some rules and added some new ones". Rockin' a kickstarter would probably help me get from the "shotgun of ideas" stage to the "actual neato product" stage a little smoother but I want to make sure I'm actually making something that might be worth dropping a dollar or two on.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Pirate World being a kickstarter let me get art and layout for it so I could get a cool book printed! I brought together several ideas into a whole, allowing me to do stuff that individual playbooks on sale couldn't quite cover. E.g. There's a chapter on Hirelings: New mechanics, plus tons of examples. Several PW classes are built around using the hirelings. Also Backgrounds: frees up a lot of the social and fictional bits from the classes, so they can be built a bit differently. The total stuff in the PW book is:
* 9 Classes
* Backgrounds
* Hirelings
* Setting (new races, items, locations, fronts, bestiary)
* Ship Mechanics
* Luncheon World
Plus the bonus stuff. Playtest should be out really bloody soon!

What's the setting you're working on?

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 16, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, I don't think I'd try to make one if I didn't try to get some sort of physical copy or something you couldn't get anywhere else on there. As it stands I just planned to have an overview of the setting, a couple of examples here and there, some playbooks, and a sample adventure or two to get people started. Charge a buck or two for the setting maybe and give the playbooks out for free. If I go the kickstarter route, I have a bunch of ideas for mechanics and new rulesets and such that I want to try. Also, being an artist myself, I could devote more time to making it pretty and creating art to get the setting across better.

Here's a link to the doc I update every once in a while. A lot of this is still a work in progress, as far as names are concerned. Also, I'm not a writer, so it's kind of spotty until I can get a friend of mine to edit it.

Micro World

Basically, the entire universe is a tree, and you're a tiny magical being in it fighting weird rear end spider-dragons and goin' on adventures to ancient mushroom cities and like, trying to discover what you can about the universe outside of the tree or whatever. Haven't gotten that far yet.

I have more stuff than what's in that doc, that's just like some basic info.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 16, 2014

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Sounds ace! I was thinking recently that it'd be cool if there was support for totally different settings: stuff you can't see in films etc due to limitations. Yggdrasil was my starting point, I'd snap up your book instantly! What's the core difference in being tiny? Are there amoebas and bacteria to fight? Water viscosity is suddenly much tougher, and you can fall crazy difference, so the physics sounds like it could be pretty different too!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, there's definitely going to be a lot to deal with, as it's not the tree that's giant (though it's probably larger than a regular, real-life tree by a great margin), it's that you are explicitly small as well. Instead of summoning a torrent of water, for instance, you'd summon a large glob of it and it would roll around in a bead and trap people. Stuff you'd fight would be mostly insects, kind of like how in monster Hunter 95% of the creatures you fight are actually dragons and drakes of some kind. Like, that's an ant, obviously, but it's furry and snarling and sprinting at you like a wolf with a couple of buddies. There'd be other stuff to keep it in thematics, though. Like an ancient "death cult" that instead of working with zombies, they're trying to spread a cordyceps infection. Perhaps you travel down to the underdark (roots) and you're beset by massive, long-toothed and beady-eyed burrowing monsters.

E: Also, the way I'd like to write everything is that it's easy for an enterprising group to springboard off the examples listed for the main setting and apply the "tiny dudes in a big world" idea to other areas. Instead of a giant tree, maybe you're in a long "abandoned" castle or trotting around in the inner workings of a boat at sea.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
A setting just about "Tiny World" would be pretty cool. Rules for giant hazards and fighting mice with a sewing needle rapier.