Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Retracts are common with film rigs. 6 prop is called a hexa unless it was a y6 which is 3 pairs shaped like a y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

ease posted:

Retracts are common with film rigs. 6 prop is called a hexa unless it was a y6 which is 3 pairs shaped like a y.

I was going to call it a sextocopter, I guess hexa works too. Sex copter sounds cooler though.

Does the landing gear really cause enough vibration that retracts are worth the extra weight? I figured the trade-off would end up in favor of solid gear.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

subx posted:

I was going to call it a sextocopter, I guess hexa works too. Sex copter sounds cooler though.

Does the landing gear really cause enough vibration that retracts are worth the extra weight? I figured the trade-off would end up in favor of solid gear.

The main reason to use retracts on a film rig are to get the landing gear out of view of the camera especially when its on a 3axis gimbal with a second camera operator controlling it.

I had some good flights with my Caipirinha today. I finally cracked the 2km mark with no video degradation whatsoever. Its ready for the mountains now and hopefully I will get out there tomorrow :woop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

subx posted:

I would like to propose that this thread ceases use of the term hexcopter and begins using sextocopter.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

No sexocopters but here is a video of my first mountain flights with the Caipirinha. It was a fun time but way too hot to be standing out on the beach without shade :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OQHLo2sWI

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Sweet video. Was enjoying that music. What size battery were you using?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Beautiful countryside, too.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Sweet video. Was enjoying that music. What size battery were you using?

Its a 3300mah 2s. This was the furtherest I've ever flown it out at about 4.5km at the furtherest point and 1km up from my starting altitude. I bit more power would be nice for the climb but its designed more for endurance. As long as you don't try and climb vertically it seems to go ok.

Arcturas posted:

Beautiful countryside, too.

It's a nice spot. The only problem with that area is finding good vantage points to launch from. There is forest everywhere and the beaches are often not that accessible or too close to the mountain to get good los for the antenna. I've scoped out a launch that looks right up the waterfall from that video which should be possible to fly all the way up to the ice field and come down the valley following the creek all the way back to the waterfall. It's about 6km to the ice field and 1700m up so it should be in range of my gear.

I'm definitely thinking about a bigger faster plane that can carry more battery for longer flights. Possibly the skyhunter but that will have to wait until the fall.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I got a DJI Phantom 2 vision + off the FedEx truck a couple days ago.

I thought ahead and ordered a hard case and a three extra batteries.

Anyway, here's one of my first flights. Flight number four I think?

So far I have managed to land it on top of my four door pickup roof several times.

http://youtu.be/7VY3xG7DXAg

http://youtu.be/hn-Dkzbr0ms

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Just won two auctions for these old birds, an Extra 260 and an Ultimate made back in 2006 before the factory burnt down so no spares but it's going to be fun.
The Extra 260 even comes with the old brushed engine with the gear box. I'll guess I'll use it before switching it out for a brushless.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Finally made a video out of the 4th of July weekend at our lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brQXzKpuWJY

No smoothing done in PP.

And because of the drat song I chose because it fit, YouTube is keeping it from playing on Mobile Devices. :negative:

Now I know for next time at least.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
That video was badass dude. Your framing and timing of the shots is just excellent! What are you using for FPV?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

That was awesome. I don't typically make it all the way through FPV videos but I did that one. Was entertained by all the cool water sports. Looked like a great time!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is the hobbyking US warehouse always really slow? I got something packed, shipped and delivered from the china warehouse (last week) in the time it has taken for them to not ship my package from the US one. What the gently caress is the point of a domestic warehouse if it costs more and ships slower?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is the hobbyking US warehouse always really slow? I got something packed, shipped and delivered from the china warehouse (last week) in the time it has taken for them to not ship my package from the US one. What the gently caress is the point of a domestic warehouse if it costs more and ships slower?

yes... -ish. But the China warehouse is usually slower still. I can typically get shipments from the US Warehouse within 7 biz days as long as they actually process the order.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

That's been my experience. Most of the global shipments I have had were all 3-4+ weeks. The US warehouse have never been more than 2. Last purchase I had from there was bought on a Saturday and I had it by Friday.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I'm starting to regret ordering things through Ali Express now at least. All the sellers has been great but Chinas postal service sucks arse, the Hong Kong one is ok but the Swiss post opened my parcel without telling me, removed my three lipos (that I sort of *cough* had sent against regulations) before taping the parcel up again and sending it on it's way, without telling me of course.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

The US warehouse is much slower at processing the order (even as a 'Platinum' costumer), but at least the shipping to Canada is much much faster (2-3 days).
HK warehouse will be shipped with 12 hours, but it takes 2-3 weeks to get here.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Vitamin J posted:

That video was badass dude. Your framing and timing of the shots is just excellent! What are you using for FPV?

Just a DJI AVL58 Tx and a Blackperl screen. It can't go through trees of course so as the boat chase scene in the 2nd half start off, I can't follow it much past the turn in the back from where I am standing.

I'm glad you guys like it. My goal is to make aerial videos fun to watch and not just another "I have a DJI Phantom DRONE now! Watch me fly it!" video.

Now my main problem is finding the right music, these songs fit soo drat well, but as I have found out, even non monetized videos get ads on them if the copyright holder detects it in the video, so I have to work harder to use more Royalty free music if I am going to post on YouTube. Still new to the whole Digital Media posting world since I have lived with crap internet and uploading this 300M file takes a good 4hrs or so. :negative:

The last time I was making Ski Videos for my Waterski Team in College, I distributed them all on DL-DVD's. :pt:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The US warehouse is much slower at processing the order (even as a 'Platinum' costumer), but at least the shipping to Canada is much much faster (2-3 days).
HK warehouse will be shipped with 12 hours, but it takes 2-3 weeks to get here.

I think that's a plausible explanation. I'd bet that they drastically underestimated what kind of volume the US Warehouse would be getting, and so they're probably understaffed. Instead of just staffing up in Washington, they opened a second warehouse in NY.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RE: music. Start here: https://www.freesound.org/

There are a ton of sounds on there, from sfx for video production to royalty free music, loops, etc.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i used http://incompetech.com/music/

edit: is it possible to replace one of the antennas on a phantom 2.4ghz receiver? I had myself a crash today and one was ripped off (among other things). I can only find a replacement for the full receiver though. (I also have a turnigy 9x coming for completely unrelated reasons that I could install the receiver into if thats a better option)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 19, 2014

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Girlfriend bought me a V262 as a late birthday present and it came in today. I only got to fly it for about 5 minutes because it got dark after work but I can't wait to take it up again tomorrow.

I know it's pretty much babby's first RC but I'm hooked. The foam prop guard seems fairly heavy so once I feel comfortable controlling the unit I'm interested in seeing what kind of performance I can get after taking it off.

Reading this thread makes me want to FPV though. :v:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Theres a free WEBINAR going on today / tomorrow for aerial photography with rc vehicles. Its not very good but its free today and you can enter to win a 3dr iris https://www.creativelive.com/courses/taking-flight-drone-photography-video-jeff-foster. They appear to be looping it atm; the last section of today's was kinda useful. That hybrid looks really dang cool as well.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Not sure if its been posted, but wired has an article with a drone no fly zone map put out by mapbox.
http://www.wired.com/2014/07/drone-no-fly-zones-mapbox/

I've just got a toy type quad, but thought it might be useful for some of you.

Vitamin J, any interest in videoing mountain biking ;).. That video you posted a while ago was right near Kenosha pass right? I love biking up that.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

deong posted:

Vitamin J, any interest in videoing mountain biking ;).. That video you posted a while ago was right near Kenosha pass right? I love biking up that.
That'd be awesome to film. I was already interested in that but haven't had the opportunity. What sort of time-frame were you thinking?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Vitamin J posted:

That'd be awesome to film. I was already interested in that but haven't had the opportunity. What sort of time-frame were you thinking?

I mtb too much.. so most weekends hah
hit me up. I live in Den.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Just found this thread at the perfect time!

I just bought a Phantom 2 from DSLRPros, and thus far it's the bees knees. Here's a video of my first test flight stuff...

https://vimeo.com/101260222

This is my first foray into RC, and it's scary but I'm amazed by the technology available for the price. As a filmmaker, I can get shots I could never dream of having gotten 5 years ago.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 25, 2014

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Bought a RC Guys Super Decathlon from one of our club members for $475. DA 50 motor, R6014FS Receiver (older version of the HS), and HiTec servos. Hell of a deal.

Anyways, some of the decals are peeling and have been taped. Anyone have a good way to secure decals other than clear nail polish on the edges? I'm ok with that, just wondering if someone had a better method.

RC Guys have awesome support. asked if I could purchase a set and they offered to send them no charge, and don't want them to peel this time. Highly recommended if you are looking for a high-quality ARF.

Also this thing is huge (98" wing span) so there is going to be some GoPro action in the future since it will have little affect on this beast. It also made me spend another $600 on a high-end radio :aaa:

subx fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 25, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bound a turnigy9x with e9x firmware to my syma x1 today, and I feel like I'm getting worse range. Even several dozen feet away, the throttle would sputter in and out like it wasn't getting the signal anymore. Is the stock module just that bad or is there something else that might be interfering?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, this was before we started... (Mashed's on the lft, mine on the right).

Grand plan was to use these for (streamer) combat, but we never got through the maiden!.

We had the CG according to plans and still ended up moving it forwards and it still was very twitchy.
I broke the prop on mine on second flight. (first one was short and landed ok).
Mashed got his up and flying reasonably well, until losing orientation when inverted. (Note, different markings on top/bottom are highly desirable).
His prop survived, so I took that, twiddled with my servos/rates/expo and got mine up again. Got it flying ok, but still very very sensitive...and then I lost signal. With the plane heading out over the river. Temporarily got control again, got orientation just about sorted and then lost signal again. It splashed down just on the edge of the river, behind some tall grass and while soaked, was seemingly ok. (plane was lost, but electronics look salvageable).

We were both surprised at how hard this was to fly....

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I am easing myself into flying helicopters using one of these but I'm having trouble figuring out what to do about batteries. I've tried buying similar batteries online and they work well, but the charger that came with the heli seems to damage anything but the included battery (they puff up but do not get warm, the included battery has not puffed at all). What are my options here? Do I have to buy the exact replacement batteries and chargers in order to have extras? I would be happy to pay for a more advanced lipo charger but I'm unclear on whether they can even charge batteries this small, let alone more than one at a time.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Novo posted:

I am easing myself into flying helicopters using one of these but I'm having trouble figuring out what to do about batteries. I've tried buying similar batteries online and they work well, but the charger that came with the heli seems to damage anything but the included battery (they puff up but do not get warm, the included battery has not puffed at all). What are my options here? Do I have to buy the exact replacement batteries and chargers in order to have extras? I would be happy to pay for a more advanced lipo charger but I'm unclear on whether they can even charge batteries this small, let alone more than one at a time.

You need similar batteries. 120-200mah is ok. they need to have compatiable connectors. Advanced chargers usually let you get down to .1amp, or at worst, .5 amp. A .1amp charge is only a .75c charge, so it's a healthy charge rate.

You've set yourself up for a very difficult time learning helicopters. :-) I'm half proud of you, half hoping you don't give up before you really learn.

The smaller the helicopter, the harder it is to fly. Even doubling the weight to 60 grams, makes a huge difference in stability. (I found the Blade mCP X is much more stable than the Nano CPx)

Also, the coaxial helis are a lot easier to fly. And they don't end up with the wacky "flying sideways" thing that the small conventional helis get.

I'm big on having people start with the Syma S107 as their first helicopter. What you're flying now is the "cheap" version of the Blade MSR. I can't say I'm hugely fond of the MSR. The MSRX is a flybarless heli, and does a whole lot better.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I did have a larger one with two layers of rotors but it had fewer degrees of freedom so ended up being more of a pain to fly indoors. This one handles well (for my tastes) and it's so light it hardly notices crashes. Still, even though the connectors and other specs seem compatible I've had two batteries puff up on me and I'm convinced there should be a better way.

The official replacement charger is only $3 and the batteries are $5.50 so I'll probably just end up buying those, but I am wondering what people with a clue use to charge batteries like these?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I usually use the Eflite 4 battery charger. I keep it on my computer desk at home, so I can charge batteries anytime. The 4 battery charger came with the Blade MSR.

I also have an adapter that allows me to charge on my big LiPo charger too. I set it's charge rate down to .1 amp.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mashed_penguin posted:

Cant go wrong with any of the ~250 sized H quad frames out there. 2000 - 2300kv motors, 12a escs, naze32 flight controller. 4s with 1960kv cobras 2204s are serving me pretty well.

I'm actually try to get a part list assembled now - I saw that they had a bundle for the regular fpv250 frame (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...SA_US_Ware.html) but I thought I might be able to get some better parts by myself.

Frame
ESC's
Props: Gemfan 5x3 or possibly another size? (i've seen 6x4.5 mentioned, and the bundle has 3 bladed)
Motor: I can't figure this out. I see people like the sunnysky X2204 2300kv a lot, There is a Multistar 2206-2150KV Motor thats cheaper and seems to be on backorder. There is a 2300kv cobra that presumably would be more suitable for 3s (is 4s something I actually want - every build I'm finding uses 3s, and would I need to lower the voltage for other things being powered by this battery).

This is really the most frustrating part of this - every guide for motor / esc choosing tells you to calculate the thrust, but doesn't actually tell you how beyond "use the nonexistant thrust datasheet", or "use ecalc," which loving blows; I can't put in custom values for motors or escs, and its missing a shitload (it doesn't even have a generic 12a esc listed that I can find). I assume just by looking at a chart someone painstakingly did for the sunnysky at 2s and 3s with multiple prop sizes that all of these will blow that power / weight rule of thumb out of the water anyway, but I'd just like to loving know.

Battery: I don't loving know.

Camera: Mobius and / or one of the dozen or so pcb cameras from sony or generic or whatever

Other: Hobbyking diy power board, power cleaner for fpv, naze32, one of those tiny osd boards for voltage, wires wires wires (if you have a list of those most commonly required so that I don't inevitably end up having to make a second order, that would be appreciated!)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 29, 2014

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

4s just gives you more power and longer flight times. There isn't really a downside to it other than making sure your escs and motors can handle it.

Frame: H quad frame more space than the hk x quad.
ESC's: Afro ESC 12a or rapidesc 12a both have simonk
Motors: 2300kv sunny sky if 3s 1960kv cobras if 4s
Props: gemfan 5x3
Battery: 1300mah 3s or 4s at least 30c and 40c would be a good idea especially for 4s. I like the 1300mah 45-90c nanotechs.
FC : Naze32
LC filter: either buy one or make your own they are really easy google for one of the many tutorials. You can make it smaller than you can buy it.
Wires: You will have a cleaner system if you just make them. Mini quads aren't really plug and play as far as wiring goes. The distances between the components are too short. I would get some 3 and 4 pin jst connectors and 28awg silicone wire in a few different colours.

FPV poo poo:
OSD: Don't get a tinyosd get a minimosd with kvmod http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/minimosd.html $11 and you can get every osd feature you would want on it.
Camera: Surveilzone pz4020 http://www.surveilzone.com/fpv/fpv-camera/sony-super-had-ccd-600tvl-fpv-ir-block-camera-2.8mm-lens This is an amazing boardcam for $30.
VTX: Depends on what video and control freq's you are using. I'm a fan of 433 lrs for control and 2.4 for video. If you want to use 2.4 for control you will need 5.8 for video 1.3 antennas are tricky on mini quads.
Power regulators: Depends on the voltages of your camera and video transmitter. If you have a mix of 12v and 5v gear RMRC makes a nice dual supply module http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2938
Antennas: Circular polarized of your choice. Either buy or make.

Its a lot of crap to get together but taking the time to figure it out will make it less frustrating in the long run. I don't know how handy you are at soldering but you need to do a fair bit of it for the mini quads. It isn't difficult soldering. There is just a lot of it.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'm actually try to get a part list assembled now - I saw that they had a bundle for the regular fpv250 frame (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...SA_US_Ware.html) but I thought I might be able to get some better parts by myself.

Frame
ESC's
Props: Gemfan 5x3 or possibly another size? (i've seen 6x4.5 mentioned, and the bundle has 3 bladed)
Motor: I can't figure this out. I see people like the sunnysky X2204 2300kv a lot, There is a Multistar 2206-2150KV Motor thats cheaper and seems to be on backorder. There is a 2300kv cobra that presumably would be more suitable for 3s (is 4s something I actually want - every build I'm finding uses 3s, and would I need to lower the voltage for other things being powered by this battery).

This is really the most frustrating part of this - every guide for motor / esc choosing tells you to calculate the thrust, but doesn't actually tell you how beyond "use the nonexistant thrust datasheet", or "use ecalc," which loving blows; I can't put in custom values for motors or escs, and its missing a shitload (it doesn't even have a generic 12a esc listed that I can find). I assume just by looking at a chart someone painstakingly did for the sunnysky at 2s and 3s with multiple prop sizes that all of these will blow that power / weight rule of thumb out of the water anyway, but I'd just like to loving know.

Battery: I don't loving know.

Camera: Mobius and / or one of the dozen or so pcb cameras from sony or generic or whatever

Other: Hobbyking diy power board, power cleaner for fpv, naze32, one of those tiny osd boards for voltage, wires wires wires (if you have a list of those most commonly required so that I don't inevitably end up having to make a second order, that would be appreciated!)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with soldering (except for maybe the atmega pins on that minimosd). I just wanted to make sure I grabbed all the cabling I needed. No build logs seem to mention basic poo poo like wire gauge and xt60 connectors and such. I really only care about battery levels w/r/t osd stuff, but I guess I'll look into. Are there other 4s safe motors to look at (the multistar 1900kv is 3s max)

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'm fine with soldering (except for maybe the atmega pins on that minimosd). I just wanted to make sure I grabbed all the cabling I needed. No build logs seem to mention basic poo poo like wire gauge and xt60 connectors and such. I really only care about battery levels w/r/t osd stuff, but I guess I'll look into. Are there other 4s safe motors to look at (the multistar 1900kv is 3s max)

Some of the Tmotors can do 4s I think the 2000kv sunny skys can as well. You need a battery connector if the frame you pick doesn't come with one. That kvosd gives you an artificial horizon which is pretty cool but the best thing it lets you do is change pids etc on the osd so you don't need a pc to tune.

mashed fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Where do you pick up a Naze32 board these days? I was looking a few weeks ago and everything seemed sold out.