Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Potsticker posted:

Why would you want to make good spritework look like blobby messes I don't even understand. Like, I get those people who use retroarch to make the game look like exaggerated CRTs, but the only time I've seen "rounding the pixels out" look any sort of not completely terrible is when the sprites are still images of 3d models and have that jaggy low-res look in the first place.
Finally, someone else who shares this view. To me sprites are sprites, they have a very specific look that should scale perfectly regardless of resolution and don't need to be altered significantly. It's 3D in the N64 to PS2 era where emulation can flex its muscles for good, since they are actually doing the stated goal (rendering objects) better than the original was able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dragon Quest does something weird to my brain. I'm one of those in the OP who thinks grinding is the Worst Thing Ever, but I love doing it in Dragon Quest. I get to a new town and see a huge list of bullshit I can't afford and I'm like "yesssssss". Maybe it's because the growths in strength are pretty tangible, or maybe I'm just broken.

Either way the series makes no bones about what you'll be doing from it's first installment. You want this sword? Take this shitpole and kill 300 slimes and EARN it son :colbert:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I wonder what the financial feasibility of porting DQ7 to west as a 3ds online store only item would be
would not having to print physical cartridges and shipping boxes make a significant difference to Square Enix's cost:risk ratio?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

AriadneThread posted:

I wonder what the financial feasibility of porting DQ7 to west as a 3ds online store only item would be
would not having to print physical cartridges and shipping boxes make a significant difference to Square Enix's cost:risk ratio?

Just accept that we're not going to get the game because of reasons known only to Japanese businessmen. :sigh:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

nutranurse posted:

Just accept that we're not going to get the game because of reasons known only to Japanese businessmen. :sigh:

Oh, I know that :emo:
I asked the question though because I'm just as curious as to how much the whole production-shipping aspect impacts the profitability of porting these kinds of things in comparison to digital only sales

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Yinlock posted:

Dragon Quest does something weird to my brain. I'm one of those in the OP who thinks grinding is the Worst Thing Ever, but I love doing it in Dragon Quest. I get to a new town and see a huge list of bullshit I can't afford and I'm like "yesssssss". Maybe it's because the growths in strength are pretty tangible, or maybe I'm just broken.

Either way the series makes no bones about what you'll be doing from it's first installment. You want this sword? Take this shitpole and kill 300 slimes and EARN it son :colbert:

Except when you start the game in the NES version because you can just make a dozen soldiers, sell their gear, and give your hero a chain sickle and leather armor/hat/shield which lets you trash everything on Allahan's island and the Thief Key's tower. Toss another sickle on your other non-fighters too if you'd like.

If you play the SNES version then when you get to the 2nd castle area you can head up towards Keeves and find the first of those minigame places, and get a broad sword as a prize for clearing it. Though being level 7 with leather armor and a broadsword still means you're going to die easily.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'll try both ways. I sometimes really like the old pixel look - don't always love the smoothing, but it might be very game dependant

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The "definitive" translation of the Super Famicom version of DWIII seems to be DeMarsMan's 1.1 translation, but I was wondering if anyone had played the Famicom translations of V and VI. If anyone can point me towards the best translations of those, I might give them a look someday. DS remakes or not, the DWIII remake is very well regarded and I'm sure the V and VI SNES versions are also very good. V and VI are probably victim of paling compared to their DS remakes, but I'd happily pay a good sum for a top-hull remake of III on the DS as well.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

JustJeff88 posted:

The "definitive" translation of the Super Famicom version of DWIII seems to be DeMarsMan's 1.1 translation, but I was wondering if anyone had played the Famicom translations of V and VI. If anyone can point me towards the best translations of those, I might give them a look someday. DS remakes or not, the DWIII remake is very well regarded and I'm sure the V and VI SNES versions are also very good. V and VI are probably victim of paling compared to their DS remakes, but I'd happily pay a good sum for a top-hull remake of III on the DS as well.

I'm also interested in knowing this. I'm more likely to actually play them on my TV than on a handheld, until my arm heals.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

JustJeff88 posted:

I played byuu's translation of DQV. The translation is well done and fully playable, but the Super Famicom version of DQV pales in comparison to the DS remake. It was obviously an early-gen game of the era and it shows.

The only playable translation I know for DQVI is by NoPrgress; some of the non-consequential townspeople chat isn't translated toward the end of the game, but other than that it is fully playable. It really shined to me as an example of the best that era of gaming had to offer. The DS remake was a little lacklustre to me only in that there weren't as many improvements needed to make it playable as a modern game, thus it lost a bit of shine compared to the excellent DS remake of DQV.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Captain Vittles posted:

I played byuu's translation of DQV. The translation is well done and fully playable, but the Super Famicom version of DQV pales in comparison to the DS remake. It was obviously an early-gen game of the era and it shows.

The only playable translation I know for DQVI is by NoPrgress; some of the non-consequential townspeople chat isn't translated toward the end of the game, but other than that it is fully playable. It really shined to me as an example of the best that era of gaming had to offer. The DS remake was a little lacklustre to me only in that there weren't as many improvements needed to make it playable as a modern game, thus it lost a bit of shine compared to the excellent DS remake of DQV.

Seconding for both of these. I played 5 before the DS version came out though, and still thought it was an incredible game, so it's still worth doing.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Luceo posted:

Seconding for both of these. I played 5 before the DS version came out though, and still thought it was an incredible game, so it's still worth doing.

So did I, though I suppose I should go easier on DQV. It took Final Fantasy until the seventh game to reduce the active party to three characters. :downsrim:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yinlock posted:

I do the same thing with a lot of retro rpgs, where I can spend ages grinding new areas to buy whatever the best gear the new stores give me and then just cruise through to the next new and harder area.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I had all the DQs for DS but never got around to playing them but now I can't find them no matter how hard I look.

However I did find my copy of Rocket Slime so net gain I guess!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Captain Vittles posted:

So did I, though I suppose I should go easier on DQV. It took Final Fantasy until the seventh game to reduce the active party to three characters. :downsrim:

DQV only has 3 active characters!? I didn't know that until just now, and it bothers me way more than it should. I'm a big-party nut and I've still not forgiven Spidewerweb for trimming the party size in all of their games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Potsticker posted:

I do the same thing with a lot of retro rpgs, where I can spend ages grinding new areas to buy whatever the best gear the new stores give me and then just cruise through to the next new and harder area.

In DW3 if you go east of Keeves (or whatever the town is east of Kandar's tower) and walk along by the stream near where it meets the ocean you can encounter enemies like Grizzlies and Bomb Crags. Great place to level and get money early on provided you don't get wiped constantly, and you probably will. Especially if two of those drat firebane-spamming witches show up. :argh:

Supposedly there's similar patches of abnormally hard enemies on the phantom ship and in the Necrogond cave but I've never noticed or found them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The earlier comment about why DQ grinding is fun was pretty spot-on. I agree that it has something to do with how tangible the increments in stats are, which makes many regions very hostile if you're wandering around unprepared. In my opinion, that fear of being cannibalized by a powerful monster and losing haf your gold added so much to the sense of wonder, exploration, and danger. New areas seem exotic and foreign and seeing a new monster sprite actually means something.

People praise FF for making it so that you can cheese your way (oh sorry, "strategize") through almost any fight, which is fine and all but removes much grinding and along with that, the sense of exploring new areas and slowly conquering them. Even earlier FF games rollercoast you through their set-pieces while DQ makes you wander around and be cautious of the game's threats.

I mean, who are we kidding here? RPG's by definition are menu-based games that don't require a lot of skill. I love them but the traditional RPG consists of nothing but reading and choosing menu options when you really think about it. At least DQ's grindy approach gives you that sense of danger and exploration. Many modern games don't even have that anymore (though Demon/Dark Souls gets a nod for pulling it off pretty well).

With this rant in mind, what other franchises should I check out? To summarize, I like how the grind in DQ forces you to wander in a region (becoming familiar with it in the process) and features intimidating, gently caress-off creatures in new areas that require you to spent time earning those tangible stat boosts just to survive what's coming.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Be careful with the fan translation of Dragon Quest VI, since it can lock up if you do a certain thing in the menu. It might be looking up a character's stats or something.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

That loving Sned posted:

Be careful with the fan translation of Dragon Quest VI, since it can lock up if you do a certain thing in the menu. It might be looking up a character's stats or something.

It's backing out of the Info: All status screen. Checking individual characters' is fine though so just do that. Or play the DS version if you can get it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Early Final Fantasy games do have that same feel up to at least 6. And there's also the collection aspect for abilities which is why Blue Magic is an absolute favorite of mine, and in entries like X2 and XI where you have both its absolutely fabulous.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
You may be right, I only played the GBA remakes of 1-5, though I played a bit of 4 on snes back in the day. I did play through 6 via an SNES though and I didn't get that same "feeling" as I did with DQ, particularly the older ones. I just felt like I was being zipped from locale to locale and the monsters were just sprites to hit rather than specific, defined monsters with their own threats and vulnerabilities. I mean, I'm sure they had them but when the ATTACK and UNIQUE CHARACTER SKILL commands get you through half the game with minimal tension, ehhh it sorta loses some charm.

The only one that sorta came close was FF3 on DS, I remember running around quite a bit and enjoying the fact that I was still in the beginning area for a while, making me get to know the land and the monsters pretty well while still retaining a sense of danger. It has other issues though and I just got bored with it.

What about non-FF alternatives? Everybody talks about SMT and how hard they are, it could very well be what I'm looking for. I don't know how much exploration there is though. I like traveling regions and continents and stuff, not just dungeons.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Earthbound series takes a lot of influences from the Dragon Quest series, although the third one does have the pacing of a Final Fantasy game instead.

I'd recommend playing the fan translation of the GBA port for the first game, the original SNES version for Earthbound, and the fan translation of Mother 3. However, the rhythm attacks work best on an actual GBA/DS due to it expecting almost no latency, which requires a flash card, but the game is perfectly playable just using normal attacks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Early Final Fantasy games do have that same feel up to at least 6. And there's also the collection aspect for abilities which is why Blue Magic is an absolute favorite of mine, and in entries like X2 and XI where you have both its absolutely fabulous.

FF games for all their fun (except 8, which is garbage) have always been pretty badly balanced.

FF1 Black Belts/Masters had level * 2 attack and got more hits than another else early in the game (when unarmed) and unless you're doing a low level run they can basically one-shot anything. Apply FAST if you're not too leveled, but into the 30s they are throwing out more damage than a Knight with the Masamune could hope for and at 50 they pretty much crit constantly for 2-4k damage. The remakes fixed this for the most part, I think.

FF2 had frog. It had other things (hello high level berserk/fast/aura stacking) too but none really compared to being able to beat everything by max leveling a status spell and using it on basically any enemy. The NES version also still gave you skill experience if you canceled an action so you can get Toad lvl 16 in a total of 16 fights which might take half an hour. Though FF2's so loving broken in general that you should only make yourself suffer through the iOS or PSP remake if anything.

FF3 had things like HP determined by your class when you leveled, and the final boss more or less forces you to use 2 ninja and 2 sages. The DS remake manages to make the game worse.

FF4 you just needed to level Cecil (and Rosa) sufficiently, such as Cecil at the tower of Zot (use one of those summoner enemies for about an hour, then kill it when it can't summon anymore, with only Cecil alive), and then Cecil/Rosa inside Babel. You'll get Kain back at a similarly high level. Proceed to fight final boss with those 3 and find that Rosa's Cure 4s have no issue keeping you up because Rydia and Edge aren't alive to reduce the healing. It's probably one of the best balanced FF games in the entire series though.

FF5. Chemist, Bard, Blue Mage, Chemist.

FF6 has Atma weapons (or valiant knife) which can pair with genji glove+offering to deal 9999 damage consistently. Other options are dual wielding Illuminas (convert ragnarok to a sword, steal another from one of the statues, bet them in the arena) and have inhuman evade. Alternately, toss the paladin shield on someone with an illumina sword. Moonwalk through everything. Relm's Sketch skill literally destroys the game.

FF7 you can grab Beta right after you leave Midgar, and it'll carry you until you can get Omnislash (start of disc 2 I think?) which will carry you through the game itself. Lucky 7777 can be used to completely cheese everything. Master Materia, KOTR, Mime, and so on if you feel like farming beyond Level 4 limits for some reason.

FF8 is a terrible game but junctioning lets you trivialize it from the start.

...etc.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

KingSlime posted:

What about non-FF alternatives? Everybody talks about SMT and how hard they are, it could very well be what I'm looking for. I don't know how much exploration there is though. I like traveling regions and continents and stuff, not just dungeons.

Megaten is all about the dungeons. The entire world is usually tokyo, so there's not really much in different areas to explore. I'd still throughly recommend a SMT though, imo they're jrpgs at their finest. Their combat systems are just so satisfying to use.

the usual top-tier recommendations for Megatening:
If you got a 3ds: get SMT IV
If you got a PS2: Nocturne.
If you're cool with emulation: SMT2 is amazing; its a direct sequel to 1, but you can totally start with it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

FF1 Black Belts/Masters had level * 2 attack and got more hits than another else early in the game (when unarmed) and unless you're doing a low level run they can basically one-shot anything. Apply FAST if you're not too leveled, but into the 30s they are throwing out more damage than a Knight with the Masamune could hope for and at 50 they pretty much crit constantly for 2-4k damage. The remakes fixed this for the most part, I think.

I played this for the first time back on the NES, and I had the balanced party of Knight/Master/WhiteMage/BlackMage. I didn't go to fight Chaos until I had everyone at the level 50 cap. The fight went like this:

BlackMage casts FAST on Master
Master hit Chaos double-digit times for 2013 damage
Defeated

Never has any moment in my gaming career been so satisfying and so anticlimactic at the same time.

The PSP port of FFI is very well done except for IMPOSSIBLY stupid loot mechanisms in the bonus dungeons and being too easy. If you ever play it, have a white mage in your party - the super bosses are beastly hard without one. Also, Ninjas rock so loving hard in that port.

I think that FFIII (I have the DS port) is just rubbish any way you slice it, but that's just me. No reason to play that with V around, in my estimation.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

vkeios posted:

Megaten is all about the dungeons. The entire world is usually tokyo, so there's not really much in different areas to explore. I'd still throughly recommend a SMT though, imo they're jrpgs at their finest. Their combat systems are just so satisfying to use.

If you're cool with emulation: SMT2 is amazing; its a direct sequel to 1, but you can totally start with it.

This, definitely. If you're a DQ fan and don't mind a solid step up in difficulty (SMT games don't gently caress around) that's the first series I'd recommend to anyone. If you can, start with Nocturne - if you have a PS2 the disc may be a bit hard to find and expensive, but if you've got a PS3 you can buy it on PSN for 8 bucks. I just did that and started a new run myself a few days ago.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

vkeios posted:

SMT is on iOS as well:
http://appshopper.com/games/shin-megami-tensei-eng

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

DQV only has 3 active characters!? I didn't know that until just now, and it bothers me way more than it should. I'm a big-party nut and I've still not forgiven Spidewerweb for trimming the party size in all of their games.

It's only the Super Famicom version that reduces the party to three members. DQV DS gives a proper four-character party (not to mention Traps and Treasures (aka pachisi) the second-best minigame ever).

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Fenrir posted:

This, definitely. If you're a DQ fan and don't mind a solid step up in difficulty (SMT games don't gently caress around) that's the first series I'd recommend to anyone. If you can, start with Nocturne - if you have a PS2 the disc may be a bit hard to find and expensive, but if you've got a PS3 you can buy it on PSN for 8 bucks. I just did that and started a new run myself a few days ago.

For those people new to them, SMTs aren't actually very hard; they just expect you to take them seriously, learn the rules of the combat system and use every trick you got. Good catch on Nocturne on the PSN though, I completely forgot about it being up there. Personally I'd recommend 4 first since I prefer handhelds for rpgs, but Nocturne is still super amazing and that psn price is pretty great.

helpful notes for anyone new:
Fuse your demons often. New higher-leveled ones are almost always better than your old ones.
Use buffs and debuffs; they're not optional unlike some rpgs.
Keep your MC alive. Many megatens will instantly game over you if he dies in battle.

The SNES trio probably isn't the best starting place for someone (I just mentioned SMT2 above because I adore that one). btw this iOS port is based on the GBA release, so the graphics improved from the original snes release and hey its the only official way to play it in english so thats cool.

P.S. In Dragon Quest stuff: I'm trying to play DQ5, DQ9 and DQ3 all at once. Its getting real confusing so I'll probably cut it down to just #3, which is the super pretty GBC release that I recently bought.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
DQ is a portable game series in my mind now. I love it for that too. Other JRPGs are meant for a nice TV and sound system. DQ is just substance over style in my mind.

I love being able to grind for gear/levels/mobs to catch while watching a movie or show but focusing on my game when the story moves forward. I don't know if I could go back to a console version although VIII was beautiful in every aspect and I loved to play it.

I just wish I could get used to playing on a touch screen phone so I could play VII or SNES 1-3.

Also, DQ Monsters > Pokemon

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

vkeios posted:

P.S. In Dragon Quest stuff: I'm trying to play DQ5, DQ9 and DQ3 all at once. Its getting real confusing so I'll probably cut it down to just #3, which is the super pretty GBC release that I recently bought.

I'm the kind of guy who focuses on one RPG at once myself, probably for similar reasons to you. That said, I grabbed DWIII for the GBC myself last month, and while it's very rich in content I do not know how anyone can think it "pretty"

To express a purely aesthetic preference, I actually like the look of DW1-4 on the NES, and I think that the SNES versions of 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 all look nice too. I think that IV, V and VI on the DS are positiviely gorgeous, but the cell-shaded style of VIII and IX just doesn't do it for me. I'm sure that they are very good games, but visually they kind of turn me off. Never cared for that style. Broadly speaking, I'm of the opinion that it's much easier to look beautiful in 2D than 3D.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I hope that you will forgive me posting twice in a row, but this post is totally unrelated to the last one.

I'm getting to the end of DWIII on the NES. Originally, I was not going to play DWIV-NES as I really despise the AI-controlled party during the climactic act. However, I found a Game Genie code that supposedly disables this and allows the player to control all party members during Act V. Initially, I was thrilled about this - after all, it "fixes" the main thing I don't like about DWIV. However, after some thought, I am a little apprehensive about using this code as it seems like the sort of major game-breaking code that either A) doesn't bloody work or B) breaks the game. I used a code to multiply post-battle experience in DWII and it caused some issues (I couldn't save the game with it on) and I'm wary about this one.

Has anyone used this code and, if so, how did it work? I really do want to finish my playthrough of the NES Dragon Warrior quartet, but I don't want to soldier my way all the way to Act V only to find out that the game becomes unplayable/unwinnable or I have to play with the sodding AI on at all times.

By the way, I am aware that the DS remake, which I do own, is better in just about every buggering way, but for now I'd like to stick with the NES originals.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Captain Vittles posted:

It's only the Super Famicom version that reduces the party to three members. DQV DS gives a proper four-character party (not to mention Traps and Treasures (aka pachisi) the second-best minigame ever).

Pachisi in DQ3's remake seemed ok to me when I first tried it because the rewards for a first time clear tend to be good (and later on, amazing like the Gringham Whip). But then I discovered those stat boosting squares and the one board has a loop that you can try to run on which lets you keep hitting it multiple times to alter stats. It's one of those things that save state abuse will just completely and utterly break wide open if you use it.

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Also, DQ Monsters > Pokemon

This is true until you start trying to get boss monsters. I forget how long it took to get a platinum dragon (or something like that) in DQM:J but loving hell it took forever and if you aren't leveling things heavily before breeding then I hope you like having lovely stats on the units. If we ever see another DQM:J game I hope the reign that poo poo in like Pokemon X/Y has done for breeding.Getting 5IV mons now takes much less time (and once you have a few good base ones, or manage to get dittos with 4IV or better) breeding up other types goes much faster. The 5IV Dragonite I used took me maybe an hour or so of work since another goon lent me their 6IV one for breeding help. Getting 4IV pokemon is very easy, 5IV aren't bad, 6IV are still rough but even in competition not all pokemon need 6IV, most are just as good with 5IV, or maybe 4 dependig on the setup.

DQM's boss breeding has always been hell though and hasn't really gotten better since the GBC days.

JustJeff88 posted:

I hope that you will forgive me posting twice in a row, but this post is totally unrelated to the last one.

I'm getting to the end of DWIII on the NES. Originally, I was not going to play DWIV-NES as I really despise the AI-controlled party during the climactic act. However, I found a Game Genie code that supposedly disables this and allows the player to control all party members during Act V. Initially, I was thrilled about this - after all, it "fixes" the main thing I don't like about DWIV. However, after some thought, I am a little apprehensive about using this code as it seems like the sort of major game-breaking code that either A) doesn't bloody work or B) breaks the game. I used a code to multiply post-battle experience in DWII and it caused some issues (I couldn't save the game with it on) and I'm wary about this one.

Has anyone used this code and, if so, how did it work? I really do want to finish my playthrough of the NES Dragon Warrior quartet, but I don't want to soldier my way all the way to Act V only to find out that the game becomes unplayable/unwinnable or I have to play with the sodding AI on at all times.

By the way, I am aware that the DS remake, which I do own, is better in just about every buggering way, but for now I'd like to stick with the NES originals.

Couple of things to remember:

1, If you're playing on an emulator a lot of possible game genie issues (can't save) are a non-issue because Save State will trump it.
2, Dragon Warrior 4 is not in any way related to DW1-3. DW 1-3 are the Roto trilogy, DW4-6 are the Zenithia trilogy.
3, The game will be easier for sure if you can control the units. Maybe Taloon's random battle actions won't happen but that's easily worth the trade-off if so.
4, Only time I saw DW4 become unwinnable was by using codes to give my characters items like the Final Key earlier than normal and letting me go around the game out of order. I managed to somehow make it so I couldn't get Panon(?) which meant I couldn't get the Zenithian Helm. I think I had Hector and some other NPC at the same time so it kept a character (Alena or Cristo) from joining me properly because the game didn't like that I had Ragnar first.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 15, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Post is not edit.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I mean I understand why you're apprehensive about DW4, I personally also think it's lovely that you party members whom you have previously controlled become forced-A.I. players. That being said, the game is still not impossible and I think you're giving yourself more anxiety by worrying about it than simply by soldering on and dealing with the crap A.I.

As others mentioned though, cheats are pretty safe to use in emus due to save states and all that jazz.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Potsticker posted:

Why would you want to make good spritework look like blobby messes I don't even understand. Like, I get those people who use retroarch to make the game look like exaggerated CRTs, but the only time I've seen "rounding the pixels out" look any sort of not completely terrible is when the sprites are still images of 3d models and have that jaggy low-res look in the first place.

The point is to make the games try to look closer to how we thought they looked upon release. Sorry, it's my favorite console and a darling of my childhood, but SNES graphics have NOT aged well. Not even its end of life titles, like Seiken Densetsu 3 and Tales of Phantasia, are particularly good looking these days.

So, a sprite filter works wonders in making things look better. I particularly like the effect HQ4X has on Dragon Quest's SNES art, especially Dragon Quest VI.

The alternative is to use scanlines, but those wind up making the games look much darker.

You guys who emulate at higher resolutions without filtering the graphics are something else. I can't do it, and I grew up with most of these games.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Serious question: Do you use any sort of filtering when emulating NES games?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Terpfen posted:

The point is to make the games try to look closer to how we thought they looked upon release. Sorry, it's my favorite console and a darling of my childhood, but SNES graphics have NOT aged well. Not even its end of life titles, like Seiken Densetsu 3 and Tales of Phantasia, are particularly good looking these days.

So, a sprite filter works wonders in making things look better. I particularly like the effect HQ4X has on Dragon Quest's SNES art, especially Dragon Quest VI.

The alternative is to use scanlines, but those wind up making the games look much darker.

You guys who emulate at higher resolutions without filtering the graphics are something else. I can't do it, and I grew up with most of these games.

I dunno. I think unfiltered old games can look really amazing. Also the snes has some really beautiful games.

i stand by my previous statement of saying gbc DQ3 is pretty. but the snes one is absolutely wonderful.

Potsticker posted:

Serious question: Do you use any sort of filtering when emulating NES games?
Please never filter a nes game.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

vkeios posted:

Please never filter a nes game.

I'm tempted to try it, but I probably have too much bias to give it a fair shake.

Like, calling out Seiken Densetsu 3 specifically which just looked amazing is super surprising. Yoshi's Island, Illusion of Gaia, Final Fantasy 6ー How about PSX sprite titles like Legend of Mana or Symphony of the Night? 3D stuff on that system was a terrible blurry mess on televisions and I certainly don't try and filter that in emulation because why would you intentionally make something muddy and harder to see clearly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

vkeios posted:

i stand by my previous statement of saying gbc DQ3 is pretty. but the snes one is absolutely wonderful.

Amen... that's a pretty game indeed. Though I stand by my disdain for the visuals in the GBC version, I am going to have to disagree with Terpfen and maintain that there are a lot of pretty SNES games that still look pleasant today.

Mind you, I'm an odd duck... I'm the only man in the industrialised world that still has a CRT TV. I was just playing a Wii game on it and thought that it looked very nice indeed.