Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Kurtofan posted:

There's going to be a new Fatal Frame for the Wii U: http://uk.ign.com/games/fatal-frame-wii-u/wii-u-20016633
That one is actually true though, or at least so I thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
White Wii U Pro controllers are on sale for $30 for the week starting next Sunday at Best Buy.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Kurtofan posted:

There's going to be a new Fatal Frame for the Wii U: http://uk.ign.com/games/fatal-frame-wii-u/wii-u-20016633

Then it has already begun, the rest are just a matter of time. :colbert:

Shyfted One posted:

White Wii U Pro controllers are on sale for $30 for the week starting next Sunday at Best Buy.

That's awesome! I've wanted to get a Wii U Pro Controller because everyone has talked about how great they are, but didn't want to spend $50 on one. Though honestly just using the GamePad so far has been fine for me, but it sounds like the Pro Controller is really worth getting.

Also, guess who thought Mystery House Marathon was going to be the most frustrating thing about Super Mario 3D World and just started playing Champion's Road? One day I may stop being wrong, but today is not that day.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Yeah, not sure if I'll pick up just 1 or get 2.

Also, the eBay guy with the $15 hi capacity gamepad batteries is back. Mine came and I thought it was bad, but I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it's being recognized just fine now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extended-Ba...=item4acef70ee5

Comes with the tiny screwdriver needed as well.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 13, 2014

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

CatsPajamas posted:

A Wario vs. Waluigi game comes out, Captain Syrup and Boshi play major roles.
I know you are joking, but all of my money.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Sorry about the SPP debate.

I love good deals because I don't have willpower. But I think I can get my cord in ~30 seconds wherever I'm using the gamepad, so the battery's out. And how great is the Wii U Pro controller really?

The chart from the OP shows it has the same functionality as the gamepad, and that hasn't been updated, right? Which would mean it'd be useful for multiplayer or if it really feels incredibly better. And I've never found it too bad to use a wiimote on anything but Smash Bros, which I played very little so maybe I could've gotten used to it. And I only have one nunchuk at the moment so I mean wiimote alone.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Wiimotes in Smash do NOT feel right, especially alone. You are trying to play a GameCube game with an NES controller.

I find that the Pro Controller is a good option, but my friends and Girlfriend thought it was inferior to the GC one.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it kind comes down to taste. I find the GC controller's grips too cramped now, and that the face buttons are too large and far apart. The Pro Controller has a wider grip and keeps the buttons handier for your thumbs. I also like that on the Pro, it's really quick and easy to switch between L/ZL and R/ZR with the same finger.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Shyfted One posted:

Thanks for telling me about this. Here's a copy of the flyer; discounted Wii Remotes too! Also buy one get one select games, yay!

Click to enlarge this image

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 13, 2014

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I can believe it about Smash. But then I also remembered there's the GC adapter for Wii U coming, which I read is only $20 and I have GC controllers somewhere. But then I ALSO remembered those may not work for some games. Like, does it seem likely they'll support it on everything going forward or that they could treat it like a Pro controller and it will work backwards?

And if GC won't cut it, I guess I'm asking if anyone really thinks their friends won't play non-Smash games with them because they'd have to use a wiimote, like 3D world or MK8. I've always felt fine playing those with wiimotes.

Spectacle Rock posted:

Thanks for telling me about this. Here's a copy of the flyer; discounted Wii Remotes too! Also buy one get one select games, yay!

I want Kirby Triple Deluxe and nothing else. Maybe a friend of mine will be getting a random gift.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The GC Adapter hasn't been confirmed to work with anything but SSB. My guess is that they'll patch VC games to allow it and incorporate it as an option in other future games, but you might be waiting a long time for it to ever be patched into games that are already out.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Just letting everyone know that the Evo 2014 Finals for Super Smash Bros Melee is about to start.

http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1

I don't find competitive Smash all that interesting, but thought some folks in here might be interested.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Hydrocodone posted:

I want Kirby Triple Deluxe and nothing else. Maybe a friend of mine will be getting a random gift.

I don't know about Best Buy, but when I did the buy 2 get 1 Wii U games from Target, they had the pro-rated return prices on it. For instance, I got DKC Tropical Freeze for free, but the receipt said "return value: $35.28" or something like that. If I didn't want the free game, I could have returned it and gotten it's value as a discount. Do the same thing and maybe you'll get it for half price.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Did anyone ever play through Captain Rainbow on the Wii? I just tried it and it is pretty :wtf:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wouldn't do this. I did this and Nintendo locked out both the Club Nintendo accounts I had and they deleted the game I got from the second account from my Wii U. Next time you log into the eShop, expect your free game to disappear. Calling them restored my main account, at least.

It's been a month and it's still there. I think you're just unlucky.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spectacle Rock posted:

Just double checking but these deals are next week, not this week. Right?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I don't know what ungodly force compelled me but finally 100% on Lego City. Over 40 hours I can't remember the last time I put so much time into a none multiplayer title

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Jesus christ you poor soul. :stare:

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Is Lego City actually fun? I always dismissed the lego games as shovelware but someone must really love them if there's so many.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

Is Lego City actually fun? I always dismissed the lego games as shovelware but someone must really love them if there's so many.

They are really good light games for kids or people who just want low-stress simple platforming/collect-a-thons. They're not for everyone (I really don't like them myself) but they're good at what they do

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Captain Mog posted:

Lego games are good, but they all have identical gameplay aside from minor gimmicks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lego City Undercover isn't like the other Lego games, it is almost a parody of GTA. Sandbox, Mission based gameplay. And it's loving hilarious.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Captain Mog posted:

Can't speak for the other Lego games, but Lego City Undercover is loving excellent. It's like GTA with Lego people. Plus there's lots of campy, silly humor and tons of references to things from my childhood. The game can be curiously self-aware at times and there were several moments where I had to pause the game because I was laughing too hard.

I didn't try to 100% like some crazy person, but there is an absolute poo poo-ton of content to be found if you're so inclined. I had a blast with it.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I wasn't a huge fan of Lego City Undercover, mainly because I don't like the gameplay very much. It's the same in all Lego games, the platforming and combat feels loose and unsatisfying, plus the level design is tedious and has you doing the same things over and over.
The overworld was nice, the framerate could get noticeably choppy and the load times can be annoying, but the cutscenes are charming and I'd be lying if I said I hated the game.. It's just not my kinda game.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I broke down and bought Shovel Knight. I had $10 in my account because of the digital points, and I wanted a game that I wouldn't mind playing on the Gamepad screen while my girlfriend watches TV. It's pretty freaking awesome.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Fremry posted:

I broke down and bought Shovel Knight. I had $10 in my account because of the digital points, and I wanted a game that I wouldn't mind playing on the Gamepad screen while my girlfriend watches TV. It's pretty freaking awesome.

Another good one is Guacamelee. I'm playing that right now and I sort of forgot about finishing Shovel Knight it's so good.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
That Best Buy sale next week sounds like a good time to bite the bullet.

I am interested in the Wii U Pro Controller and I'm told it's the best of the bunch. Recently I bought a new XBox One controller to replace the 360 controller I use on my PC. Then I bought my Wii U and found out there was a PC adapter for Wii U Pro Controllers which made me :ughh:. It's too late to return the XBox One controller now since I'd much rather have one controller to rule them all.

The only downside for the Pro Controller seems to be a lack of analog triggers. It seems to be a sticking point for some people.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 14, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Shovel Knight has such a perfect level of challenge. If anything, I'd have liked maybe one super hard challenge area, but the last levels are very Wily's Fortress levels of "gently caress you and moving platforms". The bosses weren't so hard--I think Propeller Knight was the worst of the bunch. The side bosses were all generally harder than the main ones, and the last boss was pretty easy too, but the levels are so sprawling and complex and the challenges within them are just platforming perfection.

Shovel Knight BELONGS on a Nintendo system, and I'm glad that it's making its big debut on the Wii U--it's a love letter to everything Nintendo used to define itself by, fantastic, pixel-perfect platforming with outstanding level design, art and atmosphere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I don't know what ungodly force compelled me but finally 100% on Lego City. Over 40 hours I can't remember the last time I put so much time into a none multiplayer title

I'm surprised you're still sane after that.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Shovel Knight BELONGS on a Nintendo system, and I'm glad that it's making its big debut on the Wii U--it's a love letter to everything Nintendo used to define itself by, fantastic, pixel-perfect platforming with outstanding level design, art and atmosphere.

Yeah and now nintendo makes games like pikmin 3.....

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

bef posted:

Yeah, Nintendo's pretty cool.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

bef posted:

Pikmin 3 is great though? I mean I'm sort of stuck as to how to get past this part I'm at...some sort of weird platform that counts how many people I put on it? I'm looking for Olimar, I dunno, but besides a lack of level direction at times, the game is gorgeous and controls really well with the stylus controls.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Pikmin 3 is great though?

That's his point.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fi gameplay for Hyrule Warriors

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

So is this basically just a Legend of Zelda-skinned Dynasty Warriors? It looks more fun than all the other Dynasty Warriors crossover/spinoff/whatevers.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I mean I'm sort of stuck as to how to get past this part I'm at...some sort of weird platform that counts how many people I put on it? I'm looking for Olimar
Is that the one in the first area? I don't think that part is required for progress.

I can't believe they weaponized her sporadic dancing.

That said, they did well with what they had to go with. Weaponized dancing and "I am a sword" as her attacks is some good thinking.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 14, 2014

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised you're still sane after that.

I'm approaching 100 hours, and I'm at like... 99.7%. :negative:

Though to be fair, a lot of that time was just my wife and I driving around, smashing things, jumping in bouncy house, and posting goofy pictures to miiverse. I think there's only 1 mission left with 2 things to unlock in it. And it has been a lot of fun.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Pikmin 3 is great though? I mean I'm sort of stuck as to how to get past this part I'm at...some sort of weird platform that counts how many people I put on it? I'm looking for Olimar, I dunno, but besides a lack of level direction at times, the game is gorgeous and controls really well with the stylus controls.

I'm perplexed by that platform too. We'll figure it out eventually! (I hope)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Try looking around the map using the birds eye view and you'll probably figure out that platform's deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I'm kind of disappointed in the new character reveal, but only because I was expecting Rayman after they posted that statue.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 14, 2014

• Locked thread