Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

While it's true it's only one episode it's annoying how when Luna is talking to her she just sits there unmoving, mouth slightly open for a good while. I don't think this means that the new show is terrible or anything, and the rest of the episode isn't quite as bad as that one scene, but the one scene is terribly noticeable and worries me that it might happen again. Of course it could always get better and that's just a one-off thing, but I guess I'm a bit of a pessimist.

She just probably was numb due to shock. I mean, a cat was just talking to her about 4 warriors and a princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Violet_Sky posted:

She just probably was numb due to shock. I mean, a cat was just talking to her about 4 warriors and a princess.

Pretty much considering she was also doing the audible "ahhhhhh" sound characters do when they're in shock trying to process new information and failing. Probably still a budget-saving measure, but a fairly typical gag that's been done everywhere. Also she did blink a few times so not completely unmoving.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

That's pretty great.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
Maybe I'm just old and grumpy, but the characters seem much less... real? The huge eyes and lip gloss. The transformation scene was crap, it didn't have any flow, just a series of weird first person noodly limbs.

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.
I have serious issues with Usagi's emotiveness, or lack thereof. I get that it's the first episode, but she emoted more in the manga, which is on ...paper. Her expressiveness is a really huge mcbig part of her personality; part of what makes Usagi, um, Usagi. I think those 10 seconds of Usagi staring open-mouthed and blinking at Luna was abysmal. She's a klutz, clumsy and emotional, and we heard more of that in her voice than we saw, and I think that's a problem. Hopefully it's something that's fixed in future episodes, but I'm seriously doubting it.

I'm a really expressive person, so Usagi was the first one I clicked with when I first saw Sailor Moon. This Usagi feels like an alien to me so far and it makes me really sad. It felt like I was watching Usagi from the end of Stars.

deadly claris fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 9, 2014

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

deadly claris posted:

I have serious issues with Usagi's emotiveness, or lack thereof. I get that it's the first episode, but she emoted more in the manga, which is on ...paper. Her expressiveness is a really huge mcbig part of her personality; part of what makes Usagi, um, Usagi. I think those 10 seconds of Usagi staring open-mouthed and blinking at Luna was abysmal. She's a klutz, clumsy and emotional, and we heard more of that in her voice than we saw, and I think that's a problem. Hopefully it's something that's fixed in future episodes, but I'm seriously doubting it.

I'm a really expressive person, so Usagi was the first one I clicked with when I first saw Sailor Moon. This Usagi feels like an alien to me so far and it makes me really sad. It felt like I was watching Usagi from the end of Stars.

It's like they've forgotten: USAGI IS A DORK. I feel like we need to write this on large banners to hang all around the animation studio.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

She started the episode sliding down stairs on her butt, being late for school, flunking a test, then spending all day playing video games, and in the end she whined her opponents into submission.

Like yeah, they're playing the whole ~beautiful warrior~ angle up more, but so far she's still a huge dork.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Prince Reggie K posted:

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy, but the characters seem much less... real? The huge eyes and lip gloss. The transformation scene was crap, it didn't have any flow, just a series of weird first person noodly limbs.

No, you're actually absolutely right. Her huge eyes aren't so much the problem as it is that they are just dead. They don't do anything and it ends up looking very creepy once you notice it.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm SO glad I'm not the only grown-up who loves this cheesy little girl show. I don't think I ever missed a single episode growing up- although I never told any of my friends because what kind of guy likes Sailor Moon for Christ's sake, I may as well have just come out of the closet right then and there instead of waiting until later. It's well written & funny with likable characters & lots of positive messages about girl power and friendship.

(At least, that's what I told myself when I ordered the box manga set off of Amazon for like $40 this weekend)

Does anyone know if the new series is closer to the manga? I heard it was but I'm not sure how true that is.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 10, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's supposed to be, but all that's out is the first episode, and it's pretty much the same as the original anime since both first episodes took from the manga.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Captain Mog posted:

I'm SO glad I'm not the only grown-up who loves this cheesy little girl show. I don't think I ever missed a single episode growing up- although I never told any of my friends because what kind of guy likes Sailor Moon for Christ's sake, I may as well have just come out of the closet right then and there instead of waiting until later. It's well written & funny with likable characters & lots of positive messages about girl power and friendship.

(At least, that's what I told myself when I ordered the box manga set off of Amazon for like $40 this weekend)

Does anyone know if the new series is closer to the manga? I heard it was but I'm not sure how true that is.

It's incredibly close. The only change that I could notice from the 1st chapter to the 1st episode is that when she transforms for the first time, she has a pair of glasses(goggles? mask?) that actually lets her see what's going on with Naru at the jewelry store. She doesn't have them when she shows up to fight though, so it's not a huge loss. I can't imagine that they're not going to stay super faithful given how much Takeuchi appears to be involved.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

They've also said that the new anime will include material that Takeuchi wanted to use in the manga but wasn't able to fit in.
I presume this will not include 'Ami is a cyborg and dies!', although that would certainly be fresh.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dove from Above posted:

They've also said that the new anime will include material that Takeuchi wanted to use in the manga but wasn't able to fit in.
I presume this will not include 'Ami is a cyborg and dies!', although that would certainly be fresh.

Too late, we're in the post-Madoka generation now, gotta come up with something even more wacky and edgy and dark and

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Prince Reggie K posted:

I’ve been watching the original show for the first time, and I share your frustrations. The animators seemed to place a big emphasis on keeping the characters' pretty faces pretty, so they never pull the goofy cartoony faces from the old show, which is a drat shame since it sucks a lot of the personality out of the show.

There are still things about the old show that bother me, like how the voiceacting and lip flaps don’t sync up half the time and the hilariously long reused animation scenes, especially for the attacks; the long pauses make me very uncomfortable. At least Moon Tiara Boomerang in Crystal is looking decently paced.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Too late, we're in the post-Madoka generation now, gotta come up with something even more wacky and edgy and dark and

Madoka was a show for grown men and Sailor Moon is a show for little girls. I know it's :thejoke: but with nerds these days you can never be sure. Cyborg Ami would be kinda cool though.

Dunno how many German goons are in here, but I just discovered VIVA is airing the old series again putting the last four episodes on their website for streaming. It's kinda funny how inconsistent they are about using "disappear" and "die" even within a single episode. It's also funny seeing Mamoru act pretty nice as a boyfriend when he's so deeply entrenched in basically everyone's memories since his season 1 appearance.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
why does usagi look like she's in her late 20's even when she isn't powered up

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

a cartoon duck posted:

She started the episode sliding down stairs on her butt, being late for school, flunking a test, then spending all day playing video games, and in the end she whined her opponents into submission.

Like yeah, they're playing the whole ~beautiful warrior~ angle up more, but so far she's still a huge dork.

She is a dork in everything except animation. It's like some fanboy took charge of the cels and wanted to make his waifu absolutely perfect.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

darealkooky posted:

why does usagi look like she's in her late 20's even when she isn't powered up

I think you and I have different ideas of what a woman in her late 20s looks like. She looks like a teenager to me.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dove from Above posted:

I think you and I have different ideas of what a woman in her late 20s looks like. She looks like a teenager to me.

This is what happens when the most common anime art-styles become increasingly infantilising over a decade or two.

At least the plus side is Sailor Moon is less likely to appeal to creepy-rear end weeaboo pedophiles now.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

If you want a laugh, realize that the majority of Precure characters are the same age as Usagi & co. Madoka too.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

aers posted:

If you want a laugh, realize that the majority of Precure characters are the same age as Usagi & co. Madoka too.

The oldest in the picture is supposed to be 14.

What I'm saying is Japan anime/manga has never been concerned with appearance vs. actual age.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

a cartoon duck posted:

This is what happens when the most common anime art-styles become increasingly infantilising over a decade or two.

At least the plus side is Sailor Moon is less likely to appeal to creepy-rear end weeaboo pedophiles now.

"mid 20's" might be a little strong but man she doesn't look 14 at all (and she's also like a foot taller then the last series)

she also looks a lot more generically anime pretty/way more like someone someone would jerk off over

I thought the idea was that the magical girl powers were a puberty metaphor like every other anime but maybe I'm overthinking this show aimed at little girls and nostalgic housewives

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

darealkooky posted:

"mid 20's" might be a little strong but man she doesn't look 14 at all (and she's also like a foot taller then the last series)

she also looks a lot more generically anime pretty/way more like someone someone would jerk off over

I thought the idea was that the magical girl powers were a puberty metaphor like every other anime but maybe I'm overthinking this show aimed at little girls and nostalgic housewives

Sometimes it is a puberty metaphor (Utena certainly was) but at its heart Sailor Moon is an action romp for girls. The first action romp for girls, if I remember my anime history right.

I do agree that Usagi looks a lot older than 14. More 17 or 18.

The first series was drawn on cels which made the characters look a little rougher. The problem with this digital thing is how smooth and perfect everyone looks. They kept Usagi's clumsiness and whiny attitude but they made her really glamorous too which I don't think was the best thing.

If they shrank her eyes a bit it might not be such a problem. They're too big for her face.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

aers posted:

I always thought that the Precure characters (the first of whom were designed before the moe boom took off, iirc) were designed to look younger because their series seems to pitch itself to younger girls (with a secondary adult audience) than Sailor Moon did. The Cures often act younger than middle-schoolers (I remember, in Smile Precure, an episode about them all making Mother's Day presents for their moms that was really on the level of what little kids would do). They talk and dream and plan about their future careers (a particular focus in Yes! Precure 5) but they exist much more in an almost unchanging tween 'now.' It's particularly noticeable when all the casts reunite for an 'All Stars' movie and none of the earlier groups of girls have aged at all. It's kind of creepy. I'd like it if they showed us, say, that Nagisa and Honoka are grown up (they should be twenty-four or five by now) and Nagisa's a sports coach and Honoka's a scientist, but they can still transform and throw down when the need arises.

Sailor Moon, by contrast, is very much about adolescence and girls becoming women (Naoko Takeuchi has said so explicitly, and that she chose the sailor uniform because it's a symbol of growing up that most Japanese girls can identify with). I guess the only thing that bugs me is, will Ami get to be a doctor, will Makoto get to be a florist or a baker, and so on, before the cataclysm that leads to Usagi saving the world, becoming Neo Queen Serenity, and they all spend the rest of their lives as her honour guard? I wouldn't like it if those individual ambitions never got to be fulfilled because of Senshi Destiny.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Dove from Above posted:

Sailor Moon, by contrast, is very much about adolescence and girls becoming women (Naoko Takeuchi has said so explicitly, and that she chose the sailor uniform because it's a symbol of growing up that most Japanese girls can identify with). I guess the only thing that bugs me is, will Ami get to be a doctor, will Makoto get to be a florist or a baker, and so on, before the cataclysm that leads to Usagi saving the world, becoming Neo Queen Serenity, and they all spend the rest of their lives as her honour guard? I wouldn't like it if those individual ambitions never got to be fulfilled because of Senshi Destiny.

Hey I'm sure Makoto can set up a stall outside the giant crystal palace to sell delicious cakes and stuff now and then. And Ami can be the greatest doctor ever with the resources of the whole world at her beck and call! And Rei can be like, space-miko-pope or something.

And everyone has to watch Mina-chan's 24/7 idol show or they get shipped off to Nemesis!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Shyrka posted:

Hey I'm sure Makoto can set up a stall outside the giant crystal palace to sell delicious cakes and stuff now and then. And Ami can be the greatest doctor ever with the resources of the whole world at her beck and call! And Rei can be like, space-miko-pope or something.

And everyone has to watch Mina-chan's 24/7 idol show or they get shipped off to Nemesis!

By the time Crystal Tokyo even rolls around, do the other girls even live under their civilian identities anymore? Every time we see them in the future even when they're just being terrible at surprise parties they're always in their Senshi form.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

By the time Crystal Tokyo even rolls around, do the other girls even live under their civilian identities anymore? Every time we see them in the future even when they're just being terrible at surprise parties they're always in their Senshi form.

The main way they show they're adults is that they all wear pink lipstick and Jupiter's ponytail has grown into a massive crest.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Shyrka posted:

And Ami can be the greatest doctor ever with the resources of the whole world at her beck and call!

Didn't the Silver Crystal end all disease and sickness or something or is that just fanon? If it really is said in the series though there isn't much need for doctors if nobody gets sick.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Didn't the Silver Crystal end all disease and sickness or something or is that just fanon? If it really is said in the series though there isn't much need for doctors if nobody gets sick.

Ami winds up like Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode. A whole millennium worth of book reading to do and her crazy visor breaks.

"But there was time now..."

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I never could shake the feeling that there was something horrible about Crystal Tokyo that they never showed.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

The Monkey Man posted:

I never could shake the feeling that there was something horrible about Crystal Tokyo that they never showed.

It all just seemed so lifeless and grey compared to the colorful "present day" Azabu-Juuban.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It's basically the Federation from Star Trek, where everything is beige and boring because everyone's problems have been solved and nothing happens because there's no conflict.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tender Child Loins posted:

It all just seemed so lifeless and grey compared to the colorful "present day" Azabu-Juuban.

In Heaven, everything is fine.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

HIJK posted:

It's basically the Federation from Star Trek, where everything is beige and boring because everyone's problems have been solved and nothing happens because there's no conflict.

So does this mean Crystal Tokyo also had a Section 31?

Tender Child Loins posted:

I feel like it's because the only times it was shown is after the Black Moon Clan came and messed everything up. Everyone living there was put into some sort of stasis or something until the crisis was resolved.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Senshi are Section 31.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel like it's because the only times it was shown is after the Black Moon Clan came and messed everything up. Everyone living there was put into some sort of stasis or something until the crisis was resolved.

I always like to think that the reason the Crystal Tokyo we see looks so blah is that something wasn't quite right, something that was put right by Chibiusa's trip back in time. (Someone, I can't remember who, also suggests that the version of Crystal Tokyo they visit on their trip forward in time is seen through a filter of Chibiusa's disturbed feelings.) When she returns, everything has changed for the better, just like Back to the Future. Notice how, in that final scene of Chibs reunited with her parents, the hilltop above the city where they meet her is grassy and dotted with wildflowers, the city below is shining in the sun, and after curtseying like a proper princess, she runs into her mother's arms and gets a warm hug? She's come back to a better future.

Crystal Section 31 consists entirely of Umino. He always knew too much about everyone.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Twelve by Pies posted:

HIJK posted:

The Senshi are Section 31.

Dove from Above posted:

Crystal Section 31 consists entirely of Umino. He always knew too much about everyone.
I always assumed the outer senshi were Section 31.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dove from Above posted:

The explains why he and Naru vanished during Stars (or maybe SuperS? Can't remember the last episode they're in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

The explains why he and Naru vanished during Stars (or maybe SuperS? Can't remember the last episode they're in).

Haha, yeah those two just kinda vanish in the manga too.

• Locked thread