Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

skaboomizzy posted:

Wow, I thought having an Indian/Italian restaurant in my area was some sort of unique thing but I guess it isn't.

I can get pizza anywhere, but I can't get a giant bowl of take-out chicken vindaloo anywhere else. They do have a chicken curry pizza that I had once and was okay.

I lived for a few years in Somerville, MA and there was a Sikh-run joint just up the street from my place called "Guru the Caterer" which had the best Indian takeout I've ever had. Miss that place no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Back home there was a place that was Mexican/Indian. They had two different kitchen staffs and insisted that they never had the Indian staff cooking the Mexican food and vice versa. The only thing they shared was the clay oven.

You sit down and they bring out a plate of tortilla chips and naan. They had two different menus too and you could order whatever you wanted off each. I loved getting tandoori chicken and a quesadilla.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea same here, there's apparently a big 'thing' where Indians who want to open restaurants have been going hybrid for a bit. I guess they worry that people will be scared by pure Indian food? There's a buffet near me that's Indian/Chinese that's pretty bomb, and like I said before Bombay Pizza is fuckin amazing. I for one welcome our insidiously creeping Indian overlords.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Indian food is great though who doesn't like Indian food? I'll fight you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ogmius815 posted:

Indian food is great though who doesn't like Indian food? I'll fight you.

Terrified white people?

Fun game for ethnic foods, go to yelp and see how many 1 star reviews hinge on "WOAH THIS IS WEIRD". My favorite Ethiopian joint has piles of 5 stars saying how wonderful it is and then there's always like 1 or 2 bad ones all "WE HAD TO EAT WITH BREAD AND IT WAS HOT WHAT THE gently caress ETHIOPIA?!" I imagine if you're starting an 'odd' ethnic place you worry about that factor.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Terrified white people?

Fun game for ethnic foods, go to yelp and see how many 1 star reviews hinge on "WOAH THIS IS WEIRD". My favorite Ethiopian joint has piles of 5 stars saying how wonderful it is and then there's always like 1 or 2 bad ones all "WE HAD TO EAT WITH BREAD AND IT WAS HOT WHAT THE gently caress ETHIOPIA?!" I imagine if you're starting an 'odd' ethnic place you worry about that factor.

i once went to an Ethiopian restaurant with some people and they kept making loud jokes to the effect of "What Ethiopian food? Are we going to eat dirt patties? Get it they have constant famine lol" and it was actually kind of funny the first time but then it was really embarrassing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When I was in Sweden I noted that the most common fast-food place was Pizza-Kebab combinations. :raise:

In Toronto there is a Hungarian-Thai place, and if you've never had Wiener-schnitzel and mango salad for dinner, well, you've never lived.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Terrified white people?
Non-Indian Asians. Come hang out and listen to the Thais or the ethnic Chinese Malays or anyone talk about Indian food. Dirty! Stinks! Dirty people! Unclean! You ever see them wash!? etc.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

Non-Indian Asians. Come hang out and listen to the Thais or the ethnic Chinese Malays or anyone talk about Indian food. Dirty! Stinks! Dirty people! Unclean! You ever see them wash!? etc.

Surely there's a way to make this a white supremacy issue. This is D&D, dammit!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

You know what's good if you haven't had it? Japanese tonkatsu curry rice. I never saw it until I lived in Asia and now it's one of my favorites (the Cocoichibanya super-spicy variety is crack rock - and I never feel this way about chain food).

This is truth. It's good stuff. I still try to make my own, but it's not the same, of course.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
There's a Thai/Mexican place I've been wanting to try for a while, all their Mexican stuff can be seasoned "Thai hot" which sounds pretty awesome.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I can't eat spicy food but I have accepted that this is a failing of my taste buds and in no way a metric for the food's quality.

It's so delicious but it's hell on my mouth/tongue :(

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

paranoid randroid posted:

You Romans, you make a dessert and call it pizza.

I laughed really hard at this.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

skaboomizzy posted:

There's a Thai/Mexican place I've been wanting to try for a while, all their Mexican stuff can be seasoned "Thai hot" which sounds pretty awesome.
I need a crying Thailand flag after reading that.

Here's the key test for your Thai restaurant. Ask them if they use real "ga pow" in their Chicken With Basil. Ga pow is the specific kind of basil used here. If not, or if they can't arrange it for you, GTFO. While standard Thai basil is acceptable as a substitute, holy basil is preferable. The other kind, hualaphaa, is too fragrant and doesn't work. Anything else (mint, other basils, capsicum, etc) is not acceptable. poo poo's hard to get in America, but it's worth paying for. If your restaurant doesn't use it then sucks to their asthmar!

I can't remember how many times I've rolled in back home, ordered ga pow and been served loving bell peppers and mint leaves. It's the equivalent of ordering a hamburger and being served a pork patty with shallots instead of onions or something.

Further crimes against humanity.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

Here's the key test for your Thai restaurant. Ask them if they use real "ga pow" in their Chicken With Basil. Ga pow is the specific kind of basil used here. If not, or if they can't arrange it for you, GTFO. While standard Thai basil is acceptable as a substitute, holy basil is preferable. The other kind, hualaphaa, is too fragrant and doesn't work. Anything else (mint, other basils, capsicum, etc) is not acceptable. poo poo's hard to get in America, but it's worth paying for. If your restaurant doesn't use it then sucks to their asthmar!

I can't remember how many times I've rolled in back home, ordered ga pow and been served loving bell peppers and mint leaves. It's the equivalent of ordering a hamburger and being served a pork patty with shallots instead of onions or something.

A pork patty with shallots sounds amazing, actually.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A pork patty with shallots sounds amazing, actually.
They used to serve a pork burger with rice cakes for the buns at some fast food place here. Signs and wonders.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i highly recommend ethiopian food, that spongy bread is delicious and a fun thing to eat with

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Swan Oat posted:

i highly recommend ethiopian food, that spongy bread is delicious and a fun thing to eat with

Amen to that. It's kind of like laxoox, a Yemeni spongy bread, which is also good. Yemeni food is generally amazing. Man, now I want some, and there's none of that around here.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 14, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Megadittoes. Kitfo, not so much.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
When it becomes possible to eliminate genetic disorders with DNA editing, should such editing be treated like vaccines, as something everyone gets unless the parents forbid it?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So you can't handle spicy food?

Dad learned to cook barbeque down in Fort Worth. I never knew how hot the stuff he was cooking was until I went eating with other people and was horribly perplexed by their reactions to indian food. "... what? This green pepper is hot?"

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Negative Entropy posted:

When it becomes possible to eliminate genetic disorders with DNA editing, should such editing be treated like vaccines, as something everyone gets unless the parents forbid it?

Even if they were ideal, in what way is it different than allowing parents to do DNA screenings and then decide whether or not to abort the fetus? I think one of the issues with vaccines is the public health angle, where refusing them harms herd immunity and affects those who legitimately cannot take the vaccine. There is no such angle with genetic disorders.

Warcabbit posted:

So you can't handle spicy food?

Dad learned to cook barbeque down in Fort Worth. I never knew how hot the stuff he was cooking was until I went eating with other people and was horribly perplexed by their reactions to indian food. "... what? This green pepper is hot?"

I went to a local Jamaican hole-in-the-wall place and ordered jerk chicken. I... couldn't finish it in one go. And then I tried eating the leftovers with yogurt; it didn't really help. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 14, 2014

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even if they were ideal, in what way is it different than allowing parents to do DNA screenings and then decide whether or not to abort the fetus? I think one of the issues with vaccines is the public health angle, where refusing them harms herd immunity and affects those who legitimately cannot take the vaccine. There is no such angle with genetic disorders.
I guess a more pithy question is whether or not parents should be allowed to give knowingly give birth to children with genetic disorders.
If a child grows up with some kind of awful genetic disorder like Turner's syndrome and finds out that their parents knew about the disorder and did nothing to stop it, how do you think that kid would react? If you can edit the DNA of the embryo without needing to abort it, is it ethical to abstain from doing so?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I went to a local Jamaican hole-in-the-wall place and ordered jerk chicken. I... couldn't finish it in one go. And then I tried eating the leftovers with yogurt; it didn't really help. :smith:
Get a whole carton of milk and chase that poo poo.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even if they were ideal, in what way is it different than allowing parents to do DNA screenings and then decide whether or not to abort the fetus?

Uh, well, with DNA editing presumably the fetus would come to term and result in a healthy child instead of medical waste, as the case would be with abortion.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't know about doing it being the sole ethical choice, but I think it wouldnt be UNethical. We should support and try to help the ones that do have genetic disorders but that doesn't mean it's right to force new ones to be born if it can be stopped. The differently abled should be treated the same as anyone else, but reducing those affected in the next generation is a positive thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Negative Entropy posted:

I guess a more pithy question is whether or not parents should be allowed to give knowingly give birth to children with genetic disorders.
If a child grows up with some kind of awful genetic disorder like Turner's syndrome and finds out that their parents knew about the disorder and did nothing to stop it, how do you think that kid would react? If you can edit the DNA of the embryo without needing to abort it, is it ethical to abstain from doing so?

paragon1 posted:

Uh, well, with DNA editing presumably the fetus would come to term and result in a healthy child instead of medical waste, as the case would be with abortion.

Right. Um.. well, really depends on cost and side-effects, then. If it's cheap/free and has no serious side effects, then I think it's pretty reasonable to require it. If it's expensive and has many side-effects (which it probably will to start with), then I don't think so.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

ReindeerF posted:

Since you're the guy to ask about this, here's their dinner menu. Everything looks good to my untrained eye, but what do you think? Panang Mole seems like it would just be incredible if it's done right.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also letting women who want kids have healthy babies, instead of having to choose between having a kid with a serious disorder or having an abortion, can only be a good thing.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

ReindeerF posted:

Megadittoes. Kitfo, not so much.

kitfo and gored gored are incredibly tasty treats, please do not slander them

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Vaccines are required because of herd immunity. To contain an illness, you typically need to have 75% or more of the population vaccinated. Having any of the population vulnerable can lead to mutations that get around existing vaccines as the illness is allowed to reproduce, so ideally everyone gets vaccinated. Genetic disorders aren't contagious, so there isn't a strong reason to require pre-birth treatment. I'd say it should be strongly recommended, but in the end the parents should still have a choice.

edit: I read the post I quoted wrong and actually disagreed with it. Double negatives :argh:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 14, 2014

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I don't understand why we shouldn't use technology to try and ensure that future generations of humans don't have to deal with terrible illnesses that have plagued us. I'd even be willing to consider letting people screen for really in-depth poo poo like intelligence or attractiveness if it were possible. The implications creep me out, but there's a difference between my thinking something is icky and its being morally wrong. I'm pretty much fully in favor of a woman's right to choose and I'm not all that interested in scrutinizing what reason women have for making reproductive choices.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't understand why we shouldn't use technology to try and ensure that future generations of humans don't have to deal with terrible illnesses that have plagued us. I'd even be willing to consider letting people screen for really in-depth poo poo like intelligence or attractiveness if it were possible. The implications creep me out, but there's a difference between my thinking something is icky and its being morally wrong. I'm pretty much fully in favor of a woman's right to choose and I'm not all that interested in scrutinizing what reason women have for making reproductive choices.

Well, considering the fact that, as far as I know, there doesn't seem to be a single measure of either beauty or intelligence that can be consistently be made insensitive to cultural norms, I'd say that's even less likely than free genetic therapies with minimal side-effects.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Negative Entropy posted:

When it becomes possible to eliminate genetic disorders with DNA editing.

That's not a thing that's going to happen. To the extent that it would be practicable, it would be infinitely more viable post-birth.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elysiume posted:

Vaccines are required because of herd immunity. To contain an illness, you typically need to have 75% or more of the population vaccinated. Having any of the population vulnerable can lead to mutations that get around existing vaccines as the illness is allowed to reproduce, so ideally everyone gets vaccinated. Genetic disorders aren't contagious, so there isn't a strong reason to require pre-birth treatment. I'd say it should be strongly recommended, but in the end the parents should still have a choice.

edit: I read the post I quoted wrong and actually disagreed with it. Double negatives :argh:

That's why I said it's not the only ethical choice. I don't think it should be mandatory either. If my child was going to be seriously ill for most of his life I'd want to do anything I could to keep that from happening but I get that there's more to consider than that and there may be reasons not to do it. I was just saying it's not WRONG, at least in principle.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm such a terrible food-person. I nearly starved to death on Yoruba and Igbo food in Nigeria; thank Allah for the Hausa

also the best tacos are from guatemala because they have much better beef; there, i said it

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Let's just build the damned Culture already.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

In an ideal world where people are perfectly rational and ethical about this, and everyone has equal access to said technology, maybe this would be a good idea. Obviously, we don't live in that world, so the end result would be at best class based bifurcation in genetic outcomes that would further privilege the wealthy, which is obviously not exactly ideal. I refer you to the (flawed but beautiful) film Gattaca.

It gets even more hosed up if/when we are able to screen/gentically 'correct' for things like being gay/transgender, race, eye color, etc. I mean this poo poo is Hitler's wet dream and knowing the kind of hosed up people out there, this being out there and unregulated in our current system is scary as poo poo.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guy Montag posted:

In an ideal world where people are perfectly rational and ethical about this, and everyone has equal access to said technology, maybe this would be a good idea. Obviously, we don't live in that world, so the end result would be at best class based bifurcation in genetic outcomes that would further privilege the wealthy, which is obviously not exactly ideal. I refer you to the (flawed but beautiful) film Gattaca.

It gets even more hosed up if/when we are able to screen/gentically 'correct' for things like being gay/transgender, race, eye color, etc. I mean this poo poo is Hitler's wet dream and knowing the kind of hosed up people out there, this being out there and unregulated in our current system is scary as poo poo.

That's one of the main objections to gene therapy. We start by curing diseases and we don't know where to stop and before we know it we're in a eugenics-driven dystopia where "naturals" make up an untouchable under-caste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

razorrozar posted:

That's one of the main objections to gene therapy. We start by curing diseases and we don't know where to stop and before we know it we're in a eugenics-driven dystopia where "naturals" make up an untouchable under-caste.

As if I'd trust any sort of authoritative body on this that didn't emerge from my utopian sci-fi brain.

• Locked thread