Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

Salaried jobs. They are typically authors, game designers and people who do layout.

Not that it matters. They don't need to be on commission for their employment to be affected by forgeries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Speaking of Forge World, how do the Storm Eagle and Fire Raptor stack up to the Stormraven?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

serious gaylord posted:

Theres also a guy who's entire job on the design team is to come up with broken army lists/combos for new books.

He's not very good at this.

Ceremonial Title? Similar to Editor?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Sulecrist posted:

Speaking of Forge World, how do the Storm Eagle and Fire Raptor stack up to the Stormraven?

The Storm Eagle is pretty weak- it has a larger transport capacity than the 'Raven does (20 bodies), but can't carry the Dread and its armament isn't even capable of hurting other airplanes (nor is it any real threat to most ground targets.) The Roc variant of the Storm Eagle sacrifices a bit of its transport capacity for a much more effective weapon loadout, bringing essentially four Missile Launchers and a Lascannon to the party, but at half again the price it's still not all that great.

The Fire Raptor, on the other hand, is quite good- it trades out all of the pretense of being any kind of transport vehicle for an array of guns. It's also perhaps the only example in the entire game where the Chaos variant of something is actually better than the loyalist one- the CSM one has weaker missiles in the wings (lovely Ordnance things compared to the S8 AP2 ones), but it carries two double-Reaper turrets instead of the double-Heavy Bolter ones for 10pts less. The loyalist version can get TLAutocannons in those slots, but half the shots and 12" more range isn't a good trade overall. The CSM one is a tank hunter par extrordinaire, since it gets seven S6 and eight S7 shots, all with BS5 and possibly twin-linked. The loyalist one is pretty dangerous the turn it arrives (since you can volley out all four Stormstrike Missiles, the chin gun and both turrets), but once it blows its load it's largely an anti-infantry thing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I like how bolters are these sacred, revered weapons of war and then heavy bolters are just given to one out of ten Guardsmen like it ain't no thing.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How well does Farsight Enclave work as a stand-alone army without any icky allies?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So my friend just got something like 3k points of Word Bearers, and I'm making up a counter-list of Salamanders. How expensive should you run your Praetors in 3k point games? Salamanders make it super easy to blow points on your HQs. I'm thinking I'm going to run a Praetor and Cassian.
I like to keep mine < 175 no matter the point limit. The biggest question is always "what do I want them to do" and "how do I get them there". 9/10 times a consul would be better.

serious gaylord posted:

Its not the writers that test them. More or less everyone big into gaming at their hq will play a new version.

Lungboy posted:

Any proof of that? And the line that they are a model company that also makes rules to let you play with their models has been around for at least the last decade, if not 2 decades. It's hardly the "current corporate mantra".

There's an interview with one of their old internal testing folks on a UK podcast. GW does indeed do internal play testing. This changed with the Necron Codex, which is when they decided to start doing external play testing in addition to internal. No idea what they are doing now, but it actually speaks very negatively that a company wasn't doing any external testing of its product up until a few years ago. In games its standard practice. Internal testing is not reliable.

:goonsay:

Still, no amount of testing can protect them from the bitter truth:

Master Twig posted:

The reality is simply that GW sucks at balancing their armies as a whole. The rule writers don't seem to understand how their game really operates.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Pretty well. You kinda need to either be willing to use Kroot or include multiple detachments in order to get enough troops to consistently score objectives, but there's nothing particularly wrong with the supplement.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Ew, Detachments.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

AbusePuppy posted:

Pretty well. You kinda need to either be willing to use Kroot or include multiple detachments in order to get enough troops to consistently score objectives, but there's nothing particularly wrong with the supplement.

I've done well with just suits and using guerrilla tactics. Blocking LOS is harder now, though. With the changes to sniper, including a unit of fire warriors is looking better now, despite the extra cost. Or just use basic kroot and always outflank.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

I like to keep mine < 175 no matter the point limit. The biggest question is always "what do I want them to do" and "how do I get them there". 9/10 times a consul would be better.

There's an interview with one of their old internal testing folks on a UK podcast. GW does indeed do internal play testing. This changed with the Necron Codex, which is when they decided to start doing external play testing in addition to internal. No idea what they are doing now, but it actually speaks very negatively that a company wasn't doing any external testing of its product up until a few years ago. In games its standard practice. Internal testing is not reliable.

:goonsay:

Still, no amount of testing can protect them from the bitter truth:

I guess a big part if it is that they're still living with print media but exist in an environment if digital gaming.

Video games, for example has wild imbalances from time to time but they can recognise them and patch them over.

But, since you can't patch a printed book, GW are stuck with any mistakes that make it out into the wild.

The game would be greatly improved if GW were in a position to come out and make changes like "from now on, shooting a serpent shield is a once per game ability and using it removes the shield". Or "riptides now cost more points" or "the guns on the DA flyers are better"

But, sadly, because the codexes only get reviewed every 5 years or so they can't really do that. At least not without it becoming a cluster gently caress.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 14, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

My plan was to use exclusively tau units. And a healthy mix of fire warriors:suit ratio

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I am thinking of using Daemons to ally with my CSM, whats a decent start(asides from fate weaver, screamer star) ?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Cataphract posted:

I guess a big part if it is that they're still living with print media but exist in an environment if digital gaming.

Video games, for example has wild imbalances from time to time but they can recognise them and patch them over.

But, since you can't patch a printed book, GW are stuck with any mistakes that make it out into the wild.

The game would be greatly improved if GW were in a position to come out and make changes like "from now on, shooting a serpent shield is a once per game ability and using it removes the shield". Or "riptides now cost more points" or "the guns on the DA flyers are better"

But, sadly, because the codexes only get reviewed every 5 years or so they can't really do that. At least not without it becoming a cluster gently caress.

I don't think print media is what is causing this restriction. If you had clearly formatted FAQS on a main section of the website and clearly put into codexes that these rules can change, then this could work.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I am thinking of using Daemons to ally with my CSM, whats a decent start(asides from fate weaver, screamer star) ?

The Malefic Psyker cards (Daemon summoning) and the Daemons starter box.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AbusePuppy posted:

The Storm Eagle is pretty weak- it has a larger transport capacity than the 'Raven does (20 bodies), but can't carry the Dread and its armament isn't even capable of hurting other airplanes (nor is it any real threat to most ground targets.) The Roc variant of the Storm Eagle sacrifices a bit of its transport capacity for a much more effective weapon loadout, bringing essentially four Missile Launchers and a Lascannon to the party, but at half again the price it's still not all that great.

The Fire Raptor, on the other hand, is quite good- it trades out all of the pretense of being any kind of transport vehicle for an array of guns. It's also perhaps the only example in the entire game where the Chaos variant of something is actually better than the loyalist one- the CSM one has weaker missiles in the wings (lovely Ordnance things compared to the S8 AP2 ones), but it carries two double-Reaper turrets instead of the double-Heavy Bolter ones for 10pts less. The loyalist version can get TLAutocannons in those slots, but half the shots and 12" more range isn't a good trade overall. The CSM one is a tank hunter par extrordinaire, since it gets seven S6 and eight S7 shots, all with BS5 and possibly twin-linked. The loyalist one is pretty dangerous the turn it arrives (since you can volley out all four Stormstrike Missiles, the chin gun and both turrets), but once it blows its load it's largely an anti-infantry thing.

Is there a book with the Fire Raptor rules yet? I know it's in the Horus Heresy books, but that doesn't say anything about fielding it in regular 40k. There's also the pdf which seems out of date. It doesn't mention anything about the different missile types, for example. Well, there's the Blood Angel deep strike beacon thing, but that's not what you're talking about.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Really, you can get away with running anything related to your selected deity or deities. Some units are more reliable or useful than others (Plaguebearers versus Bloodletters, for instance,) but unless you're pressing for cutting edge effectiveness, you'll be alright. Only things I would steer you away from entirely would be Bloodcrushers (look rad, brutal in close combat, but unreliable unless you put forth a serious effort to support them) and the Slaanesh Chariots (cheap enough in points, but made of paper and not so hot in combat - really finicky.)

If you aren't aiming for a specific deity, listen to krushgroove and add on a Daemon Prince. A Daemon Prince can be themed to your colors and you can call it pretty much whatever diety you want. If you are good at conversions, you can even get two Daemon Princes out of it. (This assumes you don't already have a CSM Daemon Prince who you can slot over and replace with a different CSM HQ, of course.) In any case, it gives you a HQ which you can slap three Mastery Levels and other kit onto, and then use to summon everyone else. I'd also convert up a Herald of your choice, either through adding daemon bits left over from the Starter Box to a CSM model, just bumming a spare Plaguebearer or something from another player, or kitbashing something fun together.

350 points or so will net you the Daemon Prince with a ton of kit and the Nurglings (who can now camp objectives in the back, unless they have a specific rule preventing them from scoring) and Summoning + 2 other powers. With the stuff in the Starter Box, and a Herald you get by hook or crook, you can use every power on the Malefic chart except Possession, basically netting you free points in a thematic way.

Really, it's harder to go more specific than that without knowing what sort of CSM you play and if you want to stick to a specific deity. Soul Grinders, for instance, are super cool for Nurgle - but Tzeentch has another strong choice in Heavy Support with the Burning Chariot.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Twisted posted:

I don't think print media is what is causing this restriction. If you had clearly formatted FAQS on a main section of the website and clearly put into codexes that these rules can change, then this could work.

FAQ s and errata are unwieldy at the best of times and it's clear that GW don't actually make changes to the rules or points values except in the case where there was an error or omission.

It's a shame that they can't approach the game development with the same finesse as an MMO it would result in more nuanced changes between releases rather than the giant pendulum swing we tend to see.

Basically, what I'm saying is, it's a shame they can't nerf eldar at the moment. I feel like everyone is waiting for the codex that's going to trump them... Which just means more and more codex creep

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 14, 2014

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Von Humboldt posted:

but Tzeentch has another strong choice in Heavy Support with the Burning Chariot.

Strong until your opponent finds a way to destroy an AV10 HP3 Open-topped Vehicle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I kind of disagree with that, first it has Jink, which while giving it a nerf gives it survivability, then it has it's Daemon 5+ that get's better if near a cursed earth. Then add in that it can deep strike with a AP3 ST5 Flamer or a D3 ST9 AP2 makes it a really great especially if you get it near something that has an Icon or a unit casting Cursed Earth. Also it's a Chariot and it can in fact get Greater Gifts on the Rider. Of Course this raises it's cost to 120 points if you get Greater Gifts but can give it it will not die feel no pain or a 3++ armour save.It's the definition of a glass cannon but it's more survivable than people think.

I use them fairly regularly and have never been disappointed, they always make their points back and then some. They brutalize anything that's T3 w/ that Flamer and it's one of the very few High Str shooting weapons.

With Ally with Chaos Daemosn

One of the things to remember for Allying though with Chaos Daemons is that you can in fact take up to 4 Heralds as a choice slot for one HQ now which is bad rear end. If you want a squad that's never going to leave and you can tell someone to piss off.

Take a Herald of Nurgle w/ a Palaquin of Nurgle w/ the Chaos Focus of Fecundity and a good number of Plaguebeaers like 10 - 15, then stick them on a Objective that's in cover or behind. Good luck getting rid of a squad w/ a 2+ cover save and Feel No Pain.

If you want to kill Space Marines dead

Herald of Slaanesh w/ 15 Seekers of Slaanesh and Focus of Beguilement or a Level of Psyker to roll on Telepathy get a poo poo power take Psychic Scream. This unit also outflanks.

My favourite unit in the entire codex is the Soul Grinder , I love that
motherfucker.

Beasts of Nurgle if you don't want to take Chaos Spawn w/ Mark of Nurgle.

My current " Ally" is usually

Herald of Slaanesh for killing things
Herald of Nurgle w/ Fecundity for objective holding
Troop of Plaguebearers
Squad of Seekers
Soulgrinder for being awesome

Depending on the points I usually drop some stuff or add some units, but i pretty much always take a Grndr.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 14, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
got a 1,500 point tournament on Saturday and I think I'm going to roll in with this ork list. it'll be my first go with the new codex and my first go at 7th ed.

HQ
Warboss - Mega Armour, Lucky Stikk, cybork (130)
Big Mek - Shokk Attack Gun, Eavy Armour, 2 x Ammo Runt, Git Finda, Bosspole (105)

Elite
3 x Meganob - trukk (150)

Troops
20 x Ork Shoota Boyz w/ Nob - PK and BP (179)
18 x Ork Shoota Boyz w/ Nob - PK and BO (165)
10 x Ork Shoota Boyz (70)

Fast
Dakka Jet - 3 Supa Shoota, Flyboss (145)

Heavy
10 Lootas (140)
Battlewagon - 2 Big Shoota, Reinforced Ram (125)
Morkanaut - KFF, Extra Armour (290)

Total - 1499

Thoughts? Plan is Megaboss goes in the wagon with the 18 boyz and Mek goes in with the 10 boyz squad.

I'm a little limited by the models I have painted (still need to do a battlewagon as it stands) and It looks to be a pretty fun spirited event so I'm keen to take something fun like the naut. In the future though I think it's just too many points...

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
So... FW is updating Tyranids. They already released one pic of a new Tyranid model and a FW rep told me that every FW Tyranid unit is getting an update. So, I guess this is a kind of Tyranid 7E proto-codex due to all the crossover FW and 40k have. All in all, I have very low hopes that FW will point cost Tyranids in any way, shape, or form that is remotely balanced.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Maybe it's the top down angle on that picture but those Tyranid models look weird.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Two Feet From Bread posted:

So... FW is updating Tyranids. They already released one pic of a new Tyranid model and a FW rep told me that every FW Tyranid unit is getting an update. So, I guess this is a kind of Tyranid 7E proto-codex due to all the crossover FW and 40k have. All in all, I have very low hopes that FW will point cost Tyranids in any way, shape, or form that is remotely balanced.

Can't wait for the Malanthrope to somehow become worse.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Forgeworld just needs to make a Doom of Malatai or whatever drop the mic and be all "Whats up now Bro?".

I really don't like the Zoanthrope models and never have they look like Sperm that learned to walk upright.

Hopefully they'll make a variant because once you see it you can't unsee it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 14, 2014

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Two Feet From Bread posted:

PierreTheMime posted:

According to some folks who went to the FW open day back in April, finished pages from the book were ready to see then and it had just been sent off for printing. That means it likely wasn't written for 7E, and will probably more closely echo the codex from Jan. There were some details posted from someone who talked to the writers:

The new unit (Dimachaeron) is a ~200pt MC in the Fast Attack slot, but there's no details on what it does.
Stonecrusher Fexes lost their 2+ save, but this has been replaced by a special rule that forces -1 for To Wound rolls. Makes them a little more resilient to Lascannons and possibly Poison.
Malanthropes are now a 70pt Elites option, but yes they're still infantry. Yep, that's ~£150 for just over 200pts of Infantry. They get some special rule related to challenges.

Hollismason posted:

I really don't like the Zoanthrope models and never have they look like Sperm that learned to walk upright.

Hopefully they'll make a variant because once you see it you can't unsee it.
You might want to see a doctor, brah.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 14, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Forgeworld just needs to make a Doom of Malatai or whatever drop the mic and be all "Whats up now Bro?".

If FW could just add back in the units GW seems to be randomly removing from codexes for no reason (Doom, Pods :qq:Marbo:qq:), that would be greaaaaaat.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cataphract posted:

got a 1,500 point tournament on Saturday and I think I'm going to roll in with this ork list. it'll be my first go with the new codex and my first go at 7th ed.

HQ
Big Mek - Shokk Attack Gun, Eavy Armour, 2 x Ammo Runt, Git Finda, Bosspole (105)

Elite

Troops

Fast

Heavy
10 Lootas (140)

Total - 1499

Thoughts? Plan is Megaboss goes in the wagon with the 18 boyz and Mek goes in with the 10 boyz squad.

I'm a little limited by the models I have painted (still need to do a battlewagon as it stands) and It looks to be a pretty fun spirited event so I'm keen to take something fun like the naut. In the future though I think it's just too many points...

I'm not one to critique lists ever, but with just a battlewagon and one trukk in the list, any and all anti armor weaponry is gonna target that speedy little trukk and leave your MANz stranded.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Moola posted:

If FW could just add back in the units GW seems to be randomly removing from codexes for no reason (Doom, Pods :qq:Marbo:qq:), that would be greaaaaaat.

That would be the most awkward loving business meeting.

"What are you guys working on?"

" Oh we're exploring the pass range of figures, making a lone guardsman thats a Rambo pastache, along with this really cool Eldar Hunting Tyranid, oh and were thinking that since we have Space Elves, we were making Space Dwarfs"

" :catstare: "

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I imagine those meetings ending something like this:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Forgeworld is obviously Channing Tatum in that relationship.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I wonder how much money FW/the 30k stuff in general makes GW. Probably a decent sum, no?

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Lungboy posted:

Bollocks, I knew I should have ordered a Stormclaw box as soon as they went live. Every decent discount seller in the UK has sold out, and the mini books are going for £25 on eBay already.
Jesus, when did they go live? I checked on Friday and they still weren't up :/

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I wonder how much money FW/the 30k stuff in general makes GW. Probably a decent sum, no?
I imagine the Horus Heresy stuff has made Forgeworld a huge amount of money over regular Forgeworld stuff. Didn't they open new factories a few years ago, right before they started doing Heresy stuff?

I also remember someone from GW saying, years and years ago, that we would never see a Horus Heresy game, but welp here we are.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Maybe it's the top down angle on that picture but those Tyranid models look weird.

It's not the angle, they do look weird. Old aesthetic.

PierreTheMime posted:

xtothez posted:

They get some special rule related to challenges.

Glorious :allears:

AurumDude
Jul 13, 2014
Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell

Cataphract posted:

HQ

Elite

Troops

Fast

Heavy
10 Lootas (140)

Total - 1499

Honestly I think that the boyz mobs you're running would be better without the nob. I'd pull them out and run them in max 30 squads with 3 big shootas. I'm really not sold on the Morkanaut, either - while having AP2 blasts are nice, I value having a horde of shots that can plink away enough models to make it worth it. You can also use them against flyers in a pinch. It's one of those things where your mileage may vary, and it depends on local meta - I'm full of Spess Muhreen and Eldar players, so having a lot of shots with AP4 have their uses. In any case, it's past Saturday - how did you do?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
What's the sound of a Tau player going against a list an army that is four Imperial Knights?

"Sigh..."

Dude somehow got two 3+ invulnerables. Luckily, he's still terrible at the game and sat back shooting rather than just charging first turn and tabling the poor bastard. Fortunately, Jesse is really relaxed when he plays, doesn't even bat an eye when one of the Knights blows up, or when his thermal cannon scattered back onto his own Knight.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SRM posted:

I imagine the Horus Heresy stuff has made Forgeworld a huge amount of money over regular Forgeworld stuff. Didn't they open new factories a few years ago, right before they started doing Heresy stuff?

I also remember someone from GW saying, years and years ago, that we would never see a Horus Heresy game, but welp here we are.

I'm not sure about the development costs for the game but the big books are 70 pounds, and while they're nice books I'm sure they make a decent chunk of change per cover sold. Likewise I'm not sure about how much it 'costs' to have a model sculpted and then turned into a mold but I'm sure they turn a decent profit. Legion Firedrakes are nine pounds a model, and even considering you have to recoup the salary of it's designer etc that's a lot of money.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't even really play 30k and ordered Tech Thralls , like what the hell is wrong with me. I know what it is I get drunk and browse Forgeworld. Need some sort of "don't buy miniatures drunk" program on my computer. I also bid on a Imperial Knight, what the christ.

Horus Heresy seems like a exscuse to print money.

• Locked thread